What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss the 2nd tier of RBs. (1 Viewer)

Weebs210

Footballguy
I'm picking late in the first (standard) and the cluster of 2nd tier RBs is a crap shoot. At the moment I have them ranked. 

1. Freeman

2. Gordon

3. Howard 

4. Murray

5. Ajayi

6. Fournette 

7. Gurley

They all have there advantages and disadvantages. Murray and Freeman have the best offenses but a young talented back behind them. Gordon has no competition for touches but a semi weak o-line and a always hurt team(just lost a lineman recently). Howard has a great line but Glennon.... Ajayi seems inflated by a few huge games. Leonard is unproven but looks the part.

This guy on Reddit did a pretty interesting write up on these backs if anyone wants to read it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/6svzz1/its_warm_lets_take_a_dive_into_the_consensus_49/

Call me crazy but I'm considering grabbing Freeman or Gordon and taking Fournette early second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking late in the first (standard) and the cluster of 2nd tier RBs is a crap shoot. At the moment I have them ranked. 

1. Freeman

2. Gordon

3. Howard 

4. Murray

5. Ajayi

6. Fournette 

7. Gurley

They all have there advantages and disadvantages. Murray and Freeman have the best offenses but a young talented back behind them. Gordon has no competition for touches but a semi weak o-line and a always hurt team(just lost a lineman recently). Howard has a great line but Glennon.... Ajayi seems inflated by a few huge games. Leonard is unproven but looks the part.

This guy on Reddit did a pretty interesting write up on these backs if anyone wants to read it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/6svzz1/its_warm_lets_take_a_dive_into_the_consensus_49/

Call me crazy but I'm considering grabbing Freeman or Gordon and taking Fournette early second.
Good rankings.  I would only point out (a) regime change in Atlanta offense and likely regression (b) Murray wore down last year and the passing game should also pickup this year, and (c) Fournette is on a really bad football team....which isn't damming by itself but just keep in mind.

Gordon

Howard

Freeman, Murray, Fournette tossup

Ajayi, Gurley (I will avoid these two)

Gurkey, to me, is a huge wildcard.

Was it sophomore slump and the flashes and talent we saw his rookie year and in college could lead to a big war with a young but improving team that just got themselves some nice new weapons? If so, could be a bargain toward end of that tier.

or is he Trent Richardson 2.0 and somehow duped is all before the draft and through his rookie campaign?

I tend to lean the first, personally. 

Gurkey, to me, is a huge wildcard.

Was it sophomore slump and the flashes and talent we saw his rookie year and in college could lead to a big war with a young but improving team that just got themselves some nice new weapons? If so, could be a bargain toward end of that tier.

or is he Trent Richardson 2.0 and somehow duped is all before the draft and through his rookie campaign?

I tend to lean the first, personally. 
He lost a lot of weight last year and looked too lean. He bulked up a little so he could have his power back this year. 

It is crazy to think anyone can predict outcomes and separate these guys individually with analytics...maybe with more info during the preseason they will show some separation but not now.

IMO then you have to employ some type of risk/upside strategery.

With Freeman and Murray are safe but their upside is capped by known timeshares that may increase...I'd take one of them in 1st round since last thing I want is a first round bust...then try and grab their handcuffs later if not too expensive to 

In 2nd round I'd try to give my team some upside juice with Fournette or Gordon. Gurley got a nice bump with the Watkins acquisition but has a tough schedule but I'd prefer the other two.

Generally I avoid drafting RB1's that I view don't have big talent or from teams that are likely to suck...Ajayi and Howard both have too many questions for me to draft as an RB1 that early.

YMMV

I'd much rather take a proven WR before any of these guys then take what's left out of them with my second (or preferably to me another studly WR) then go with some of the next group - the Carlos Hydes, Mark Ingrams, Eddie Lacy, Spencer Wares tier.

Out of the group listed I do like Freeman's situation the best by quite a bit.

I'm staying away from Gordon and Howard unless they fell a lot. Maybe Gordon is healthy and Howard is for real but I don't want to pay those prices to find out.

Murray I like a bit because you can grab Henry later (although you have to be paying close attention and grab him a bit earlier to be sure.

Ajayi and Gurley are sort of lotto tickets that cost you a high pick if you like to gamble.

If you really like to gamble, and his cost is only going to go up unless he breaks his leg or something, Fournette. If he has another decent showing he'll be drafted in mid second round.

I was all over the Howard train but @SameSongNDance brought up some points that scared me in the other rb thread. He only faced an 8 man box less than 7% of the time last year. That number has to increase greatly this coming year. 

I was all over the Howard train but @SameSongNDance brought up some points that scared me in the other rb thread. He only faced an 8 man box less than 7% of the time last year. That number has to increase greatly this coming year.
I need to make a correction here because I'm quite sure I saw Brad Evans tweet out that Howard only faced stacked boxes 6.4% of the time last year, yet when I went to go find the stat, well, that doesn't appear to be correct.

He faced 8+ in the box 27% of the time. 

The above stat is 8+ in the box vs. rush attempts, maybe Silva was speaking towards 8+ in the box vs. snaps? Either way, it doesn't look to be some huge outlier at first glance.

Users who are viewing this thread