What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (2 Viewers)

I miss analog soooooo much. Plug it in, press play, “wala“.

-Turn on fire stick, wait to load.
-Navigate menu, often having to look for the right app because it’s not on your Home Screen which is loaded with stuff that’s not included.
-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

Also, you can set up home on the firestick to put your most used apps on the home screen. And if you leave the firestick on all the time there is no load time and apps are updated automatically in the background. I don't leave mine on but even still I can power it on and be in YTTV within a minute.

this is what i was alluding to.

You guys are being disingenuous. You’re not avoiding loading when you switch between apps and we’re not talking about blockbuster.

Frequently used apps on a home screen removes exactly one of those steps I listed before.

This isnt exclusive to the Amazon fire stick. We’re talking about pretty much all streaming devices all the way down to “smart” washing machines.

I fully realize I am a proud Luddite

I disagree. i do not not find switching apps laborious, not cumbersome. it is very rare that i time out of apps and have to "do the dance" of logging back in. some require more steps than others to do so. some are very frustrating.

I guess that’s why it’s my pet peeve and not yours.

Agree to disagree. :shrug:

On food items that have a lid and then under the lid a cover that you peel away....

My wife will peel is almost off but keep it on. It drives my absolutely crazy because I don't understand the point of it. I think when we first were together, I said something about it but she keeps doing it and it isn't something that is a hard fix or anything as I will just tear it off and put in the trash but I can't say that it doesn't irk me when I see it.

On food items that have a lid and then under the lid a cover that you peel away....

My wife will peel is almost off but keep it on. It drives my absolutely crazy because I don't understand the point of it. I think when we first were together, I said something about it but she keeps doing it and it isn't something that is a hard fix or anything as I will just tear it off and put in the trash but I can't say that it doesn't irk me when I see it.

Wife does this with cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese.

I just ignore it or tear off after while.

Yup.... all those. Why? WHY?!

I think they think it will keep it fresher but all it does is catch and hold all the crusty gross bits that we all just ignore.

Thats about the time I tear it off.

I think they think it will keep it fresher but all it does is catch and hold all the crusty gross bits that we all just ignore.

Thats about the time I tear it off.
Oh, you are patient. I tear it off as soon as I see it.

Show her the first question here: https://www.daisybrand.com/faqs/

Also, "another reason to remove the seal completely is that it can potentially harvest bacteria since it is constantly being touched."

People who say "wala" instead of "voila"
:stirspot:

Somebody around here (GM?) spelled it that way in a prior thread so I was just playing along.

Spelling viola wrong is mind bottling
That's not how you're aspossed to spell it
I didn't axe you
Could you be more pacific?

Holding your phone like a pizza slice and creating a voice text while I am in the room. My wife loves voice to text, of course I think she is talking to me so I interrupt her.
People who drive holding their phone like that
That's a ticket now in my neck of the woods if you drive with your phone in your hand. Not sure if they tack anything on for holding it like a slice of pizza.

Holding your phone like a pizza slice and creating a voice text while I am in the room. My wife loves voice to text, of course I think she is talking to me so I interrupt her.
People who drive holding their phone like that
That's a ticket now in my neck of the woods if you drive with your phone in your hand. Not sure if they tack anything on for holding it like a slice of pizza.
They should

microwave pet peeve: mrs doesn't clear the timer when she pulls food out early.
Ours makes you clear it before entering the next time amount. Bwa ha ha.
An irritating thing ours does is if the timer has run down to zero and you decide you want to add 30 seconds, it will not let you until you open and close the door. I'm assuming this is meant to be some sort of safety feature, but it's almost as if the designers are actively trying to make the microwave as annoying to use as possible.

Also, if you are microwaving something that you don't need immediately (e.g. melting butter), God help you if you let the thing sit in there for a bit. Every 30 seconds or so it puts out multiple beeps telling you to OPEN THE DOOR.

Ours makes you clear it before entering the next time amount. Bwa ha ha.
An irritating thing ours does is if the timer has run down to zero and you decide you want to add 30 seconds, it will not let you until you open and close the door. I'm assuming this is meant to be some sort of safety feature, but it's almost as if the designers are actively trying to make the microwave as annoying to use as possible.

Also, if you are microwaving something that you don't need immediately (e.g. melting butter), God help you if you let the thing sit in there for a bit. Every 30 seconds or so it puts out multiple beeps telling you to OPEN THE DOOR.
This drives me INSANE. My dryer just HAS to let me know it's done every so often. At least there is a way to turn off this "feature". Otherwise, I'd have taken a hatchet to it eons ago.

We have one of those Simply Human garbage cans where you have to tuck the excess slack in the trash bag into a hole in the back, otherwise the bag will fall in as you start to fill it up. Somehow, I'm the only member of my family who's capable of remembering to do that

We have one of those Simply Human garbage cans where you have to tuck the excess slack in the trash bag into a hole in the back, otherwise the bag will fall in as you start to fill it up. Somehow, I'm the only member of my family who's capable of remembering to do that
I have no idea what this but I think I would have to get a new trash can to avoid this step.

I have no idea what this but I think I would have to get a new trash can to avoid this step.
I promise you it's not that hard to do. Literally takes two seconds when you're putting in a new bag

I have one of those, we buy non simply human bags and delicately stretch the opening around the mouth of the plastic inner liner. I haven’t priced the human bags verses Glad bags in a while but human bags were so much more at one point. Sure I break the Glad bag at top every now and then but I don’t have to mess with the tuck, like you said no one else is going to do the tuck.

I have one of those, we buy non simply human bags and delicately stretch the opening around the mouth of the plastic inner liner. I haven’t priced the human bags verses Glad bags in a while but human bags were so much more at one point. Sure I break the Glad bag at top every now and then but I don’t have to mess with the tuck, like you said no one else is going to do the tuck.
So what is the selling point of these "Simply Human cans/bags"? I have never heard of them and it seems like a hassle (even if it only takes two seconds). I have some tall kitchen plastic trash can and have a standard whatever gallon tall kitchen trash bag with draw strings. I just stretch the bag over the top of the can and wallah/voila/halla/etc I go about my business with no issues.

So what is the selling point of these "Simply Human cans/bags"? I have never heard of them and it seems like a hassle (even if it only takes two seconds). I have some tall kitchen plastic trash can and have a standard whatever gallon tall kitchen trash bag with draw strings. I just stretch the bag over the top of the can and wallah/voila/halla/etc I go about my business with no issues.
I googled and still am not understanding the issue but what I did see of simply human.

Is a trash can has a slot where you put in the pack of trashbags, like a wet wipe pack. You pull the trashbag in from the inside of the can and place it. THats the only ive seen so far lol

I don’t know. My wife put one on our wedding registry 16 years ago and someone bought it for us. I just empty it, re bag it and maintain it. Lid was squeaky the other day so I sprayed WD - 40 in the moving parts.

Just as bad, maybe worse... when they peel the cover off leaving remnants around the edge :stabby:

Me: glances at microwave to see what time it is

“Oh it’s blinking 0:07 o’clock”
This belongs in the shtick thread, but my oldest son would frequently type something like 8:23 into the microwave and leave it... prompting all others who see it to think oh, crap... it's 8:23?

Lid was squeaky the other day so I sprayed WD - 40 in the moving parts.
Lid? That's just more maintenance. No lid on my trash. It's in a pull out drawer in the kitchen so it is out of sight out of mind until needed.
Agreed. Old house had same set up as yours so simple human sat in a box in the attic for a while. 2nd house didn’t have that cabinet.

Wife: oh boy we get to use the trash can from our wedding registry.

Fat kid: ok but I’m not spending money or searching for special bags for this thing

We had several of those simple human ones. One was the foot pedal style to lift the lid but the damn pedal kept breaking

We upgraded to one of the motion ones (which was fun when I’d go to other peoples house and wave my hand over the can to no effect) but then the dogs figured out they can just knock it over

So now the trash is under the sink with a child safety lock on the cupboard door

Last edited:
We had several of those simple human ones. One was the foot pedal style to lift the kid but the damn pedal kept breaking

We upgraded to one of the motion ones (which was fun when I’d go to other peoples house and wave my hand over the can to no effect) but then the dogs figured out they can just knock it over

So now the trash is under the sink with a child safety lock on the cupboard door
Why was your trash can lifting up your child?

We had several of those simple human ones. One was the foot pedal style to lift the kid but the damn pedal kept breaking

Why was your trash can lifting up your child?
Don’t fat finger shame me

Lid was squeaky the other day so I sprayed WD - 40 in the moving parts.
Lid? That's just more maintenance. No lid on my trash. It's in a pull out drawer in the kitchen so it is out of sight out of mind until needed.
Wouldn't any pull out drawer mechanism theoretically have more maintenance issues than a garbage can lid?
Quit bringing sense into a discussion about garbage can processes.

We had several of those simple human ones. One was the foot pedal style to lift the lid but the damn pedal kept breaking

Ours is still out, inevitably after stepping on the pedal a few hundred times, the can of will have walked back just under the lip out the counter top and get wedged under the counter top on the next pedal press. At this point you should tilt the body of the can backwards so the lid can fall back down close. Kids can’t manage that and try to go side to side to free the can, then a metal on granite scraping sound commences. Dad has to run into kitchen and free the can.

This discussion has reminded me how much I hate that shiny stainless steel R2 D2 looking trash can. I think I’ll back the truck over it tonight.

People who say "wala" instead of "voila"
:stirspot:

Somebody around here (GM?) spelled it that way in a prior thread so I was just playing along.

Spelling viola wrong is mind bottling
for all intensive purposes either is correct
irregardless of how you spell it, we get the meaning.
accurate spelling is a french benefit that everyone can't afford

I googled and still am not understanding the issue but what I did see of simply human.

Is a trash can has a slot where you put in the pack of trashbags, like a wet wipe pack. You pull the trashbag in from the inside of the can and place it. THats the only ive seen so far lol
Bought our Simply Human can many years ago. Still going strong. You can buy knock off bags that are the correct size that rival the price of any cheap Glad bags. There are cans that mimic what they are, but I still think these are the best. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be singing the praises of a dual trash/recycling can that cost over 100 bucks, but here I am :shrug:

Why does In n out burger ask me in the drive thru if i will be eating in my car?
I'm pretty sure it's a carryover from when they first started out where they had no indoor seating. There are still some locations here in SoCal that have drive-through lanes and a walkup window with a little outdoor seating only. So I guess some people would just order in the drive-through and mow their food in the parking lot. I know I would do that, especially since the fries are terrible if you get them in the drive-though and wait to eat them once you're home.

Why does In n out burger ask me in the drive thru if i will be eating in my car?
I'm pretty sure it's a carryover from when they first started out where they had no indoor seating. There are still some locations here in SoCal that have drive-through lanes and a walkup window with a little outdoor seating only. So I guess some people would just order in the drive-through and mow their food in the parking lot. I know I would do that, especially since the fries are terrible if you get them in the drive-though and wait to eat them once you're home.
Why does the person taking my order need to know that?

I have answered both ways now and literally nothing changed.

Eta:According to reddit in the car is supposed to mean in a box.

Last edited:

Bought our Simply Human can many years ago. Still going strong. You can buy knock off bags that are the correct size that rival the price of any cheap Glad bags. There are cans that mimic what they are, but I still think these are the best. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be singing the praises of a dual trash/recycling can that cost over 100 bucks, but here I am :shrug:
Yes, we use standard trash bags rather than the more expensive SH-branded ones.

Funny story about how we got ours: We put it on our wedding registry and my HS friend bought it for us, which was great. A couple weeks later Mrs. R notices that the same friend also bought us a second gift off the registry (I think it may have been an accessory for our KitchenAid), which she thought was odd. A few days later it arrives with a card from my buddy: "Why did I get you the KitchenAid? Because my wife was horrified that I bought you a trash can as a wedding gift."

I think ours lasted over 15 year until we got a new one a few years ago. We just use regular bags and tuck the slack in the hole. It's not rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread