What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Byron Leftwich - Knee Injury (1 Viewer)

LTF

Footballguy
Watching Steelers/Panthers, didn't look good.

Leftwich's left leg was planted in the ground, was hit from the side on a completed pass. Sideline reporter said the body language and talk on the sideline wasn't good. He was getting examined on a cart on the sidelines, but was able to hobble back to the locker room. Facial expression didn't look too good either FWIW, and he was talking to Polamalu.

Dixon came in for one pass, threw a TD for Emmanuel Sanders, then was given a quick pull for Charlie Batch.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is more than a minor injury and they're already protecting Dixon so that he starts against the Falcons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Steelers/Panthers, didn't look good. Leftwich's left leg was planted in the ground, was hit from the side on a completed pass. Sideline reporter said the body language and talk on the sideline wasn't good. He was getting examined on a cart on the sidelines, but was able to hobble back to the locker room. Facial expression didn't look too good either FWIW, and he was talking to Polamalu. Dixon came in for one pass, threw a TD for Emmanuel Sanders, then was given a quick pull for Charlie Batch. Wouldn't be surprised if this is more than a minor injury and they're already protecting Dixon so that he starts against the Falcons.
Thanks for the info.Anyone else care to chime in on this situation?

Draft Roethlisberger in the 9th and Dixon in the 15th. You'll get a Top 10 combo when you add up the season ending stats.

Leftwich's left leg was planted in the ground, was hit from the side on a completed pass. Sideline reporter said the body language and talk on the sideline wasn't good. He was getting examined on a cart on the sidelines, but was able to hobble back to the locker room. Facial expression didn't look too good either FWIW, and he was talking to Polamalu.

Dixon came in for one pass, threw a TD for Emmanuel Sanders, then was given a quick pull for Charlie Batch.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is more than a minor injury and they're already protecting Dixon so that he starts against the Falcons.
So they plan on losing? Dixon is garbage. If they hope to have any chance in hell, they better start Batch.

Update:

Just listened to Tomlin at halftime get interviewed. He said right now all he can say is that it is a knee sprain and that he's getting evaluated. Probably won't get any real word until post-game.

So they plan on losing? Dixon is garbage. If they hope to have any chance in hell, they better start Batch.
Not watching the game but the only reason they'd pull Dixon that quickly after throwing a TD is to protect him. :thumbup:

Watching Steelers/Panthers, didn't look good. Leftwich's left leg was planted in the ground, was hit from the side on a completed pass. Sideline reporter said the body language and talk on the sideline wasn't good. He was getting examined on a cart on the sidelines, but was able to hobble back to the locker room. Facial expression didn't look too good either FWIW, and he was talking to Polamalu. Dixon came in for one pass, threw a TD for Emmanuel Sanders, then was given a quick pull for Charlie Batch. Wouldn't be surprised if this is more than a minor injury and they're already protecting Dixon so that he starts against the Falcons.
It didn't look bad to me. His knee seemed to bother him after a tackle. It wasn't really determined what happened. He walked off the field on his own power. Trainers looked at him and he was frowning.

Not watching the game but the only reason they'd pull Dixon that quickly after throwing a TD is to protect him. :kicksrock:
Or they want to get Batch as many reps as possible. A more likely scenario because Atlanta will destroy Dixon.

It didn't look bad to me. His knee seemed to bother him after a tackle. It wasn't really determined what happened. He walked off the field on his own power. Trainers looked at him and he was frowning.
I didn't think it looked to bad until I saw the replay. His left knee was planted with his full weight on it and it get completely wiped out from the side right at the joint. Didn't look like some devastating injury, but I could see it being a MCL issue. Dixon getting a quick pull makes me think they're protecting Dennis in case he has to start.

I didn't think it looked to bad until I saw the replay. His left knee was planted with his full weight on it and it get completely wiped out from the side right at the joint. Didn't look like some devastating injury, but I could see it being a MCL issue. Dixon getting a quick pull makes me think they're protecting Dennis in case he has to start.
Sounds like it might be just enough to keep him out until Ben comes back.

I saw the replay too and it just didn't look bad to me. The commentators didn't even say much other than Leftwich was shaken up. He was obviously bothered by his knee when he was sitting on the ground. Sometimes injuries that don't look like much end up being something significant. I too think they pulled Dixon for protection since he may be starting the regular season.

Sounds like it might be just enough to keep him out until Ben comes back.
If I was a betting man, that's where I'd put my money on. Batch has been in since subbing in quick for Dixon in the second. I don't think he's even attempted a pass... just all handoffs. At this point, they can't afford another QB to get hurt.

Looked bad to me. He had his leg planted and his weight on it, then got leg whipped to the side of the knee. You could see it flex. He's lucky if it only turns out to be a torn MCL.

If I was a betting man, that's where I'd put my money on. Batch has been in since subbing in quick for Dixon in the second. I don't think he's even attempted a pass... just all handoffs. At this point, they can't afford another QB to get hurt.
Yep. Batch only attempted 4 passes in nearly 3 quarters of football. They were more concerned about avoiding injury than getting Batch reps.I think the Steelers starting QB for week 1 is completely up in the air and the Steelers will likely be vague in an effort to keep the Falcons guessing (heck they were vague about who was starting the preseason games). Not that it will matter much -- whoever starts is only there as a caretaker to keep afloat until Roethlisberger returns.

(A) QB Dixon is the QB now I assume(B) ya'll think this will have any impact on Goodell's decision?
A. Yesb. No
A. Undetermined. The Steelers could absolutely go with Charlie Batch as starter. Don't look for a whole lot of clarity this week from the Steelers either. B. No. Big Ben will likely be out 4 weeks. The best they could hope for is maybe Goodell will allow Ben to return to team facilities a week or two earlier and even that is pushing it.

(A) QB Dixon is the QB now I assume(B) ya'll think this will have any impact on Goodell's decision?
A - Yes.B - Publicly - Absolutely not. In reality - a little.At the core, Roger Goodell is concerned about the quality of the game. When it comes to affecting the quality of the product put on the field, no human has more power than he does. If he was leaning toward keeping the suspension at 6 games for Roethlisberger (and I dont' think he is) looking at Dennis Dixon running a proud franchise would absolutely be a consideration in my opinion. Although you'd never in a million years get him to admit it.J

What kind of impact will Dennis Dixon starting have on the running game? I think the offense will be better overall which would obviously make everyone better. I think Mendenhall benefits a bit here.

What kind of impact will Dennis Dixon starting have on the running game? I think the offense will be better overall which would obviously make everyone better. I think Mendenhall benefits a bit here.
Don't assume Dixon will be named the starter but assuming he is then I agree the whole Steelers running game should benefit.

Just heard a report that the results of the MRI this morning on Steelers QB Byron Leftwich revealed a torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

Mostly what I take from this is if ATL D is still in your FA pool, grab them for week one.
Selected them with the last pick of my draft a week ago...before the injury, so they get a Pittsburgh 3rd string QB and the Cardinals the next week. :lol: :suds: :clap: :lol: :) :banned:

Start Mendenhall week 1. He'll probably get 25 carries.
For roughly 50 yards...
More like 125. Steelers line may be weak in pass protection, but they're enormous and have been opening some gaping holes in pre-season. I think the run blocking this year is dramatically improved.
Fred Taylor tore up the Atlanta rush defense in the preseason, it was absurd! I think the Steelers will run strong against the Falcons, I'm not sure how the rest of the season will shake out.

For roughly 50 yards...
Your obsession with showing up in every Steelers thread and trashing Mendenhall is a little strange.
Come on.. How many Steeler threads are there on this forum? I've given my opinion on Mendenhall in his player spotlight because there were a bunch of delusional, biased, and subjective fan boys in there saying he'll have 1,800 yards and 15 TDs. I've made one comment about his prospects here, and another in the Flozell Adams thread regarding Mendenhall getting hit in the backfield, which I expect alot of. I'm more down on the Steelers' offense as a unit than Mendenhall himself.

I find it disturbing that Steeler fans can't give an objective assessment of their team on a fantasy forum where the less informed may be looking for advice.

Pittsburgh's starting QB for the first four games has had a grand total of 27 pass attempts in his NFL career, the offensive line already got the backup killed, their best run blocker has been lost for the season who's been subsequently replaced by 35 year old Flozell Adams, and the best receiving threat from 2009 plays in New York now.

It's amazing how you guys just think they can turn and hand it to Mendenhall 25 times a game and ignore the other problems with the offense. Here's a tip... The defense knows the o-line can't pass block, they know the QB has only started one NFL game, and they know that there aren't any real threats in the passing game. What player do you think they're going to key on?!

Rant over, back to Byron.

For roughly 50 yards...
Your obsession with showing up in every Steelers thread and trashing Mendenhall is a little strange.
Come on.. How many Steeler threads are there on this forum? I've given my opinion on Mendenhall in his player spotlight because there were a bunch of delusional, biased, and subjective fan boys in there saying he'll have 1,800 yards and 15 TDs. I've made one comment about his prospects here, and another in the Flozell Adams thread regarding Mendenhall getting hit in the backfield, which I expect alot of. I'm more down on the Steelers' offense as a unit than Mendenhall himself.

I find it disturbing that Steeler fans can't give an objective assessment of their team on a fantasy forum where the less informed may be looking for advice.

Pittsburgh's starting QB for the first four games has had a grand total of 27 pass attempts in his NFL career, the offensive line already got the backup killed, their best run blocker has been lost for the season who's been subsequently replaced by 35 year old Flozell Adams, and the best receiving threat from 2009 plays in New York now.

It's amazing how you guys just think they can turn and hand it to Mendenhall 25 times a game and ignore the other problems with the offense. Here's a tip... The defense knows the o-line can't pass block, they know the QB has only started one NFL game, and they know that there aren't any real threats in the passing game. What player do you think they're going to key on?!

:unsure:

For roughly 50 yards...

The problem with your theory is that Dixon's mobility forces the defense to account for him. It's not as simple as stacking 8-9 in the box on every down and playing man on the receivers and forcing Dixon to beat you down the field. You don't dedicate (at least one) spy to shadow him when he rolls out (which he does on almost every snap) and you're going to watch him saw off 7-15 yards a play on the ground by turning the bootleg upfield and then stepping out of bounds.Defenses are pretty much going to have to play Mendenhall and the Steelers running game straight - hope they can win their individual matchups, keep Dixon bottled up. Easier said than done. However, if you can achieve this, then you've got the Steelers right where you want them, forcing Dixon to make reads and throw the ball down the field. You cover the short stuff well and the offense will stall or turn the ball over.

For roughly 50 yards...

:)
Other than the fact that there are plenty of Steeler fans being perfectly objective here, that Flozell is a better run blocker than Colon (who is not the best run blocker on the line,) that the OL you'll see on the field didn't get Leftwich killed, the fact that Ward is/was their top receiving threat, not Holmes, and that the "key on Mendenhall" theory is completely incorrect, I'd agree with you. So, do you really want to put your gold star on this, or are you just trying to bait Steeler fans? I hope the latter.

The problem with your theory is that Dixon's mobility forces the defense to account for him. It's not as simple as stacking 8-9 in the box on every down and playing man on the receivers and forcing Dixon to beat you down the field. You don't dedicate (at least one) spy to shadow him when he rolls out (which he does on almost every snap) and you're going to watch him saw off 7-15 yards a play on the ground by turning the bootleg upfield and then stepping out of bounds.Defenses are pretty much going to have to play Mendenhall and the Steelers running game straight - hope they can win their individual matchups, keep Dixon bottled up. Easier said than done. However, if you can achieve this, then you've got the Steelers right where you want them, forcing Dixon to make reads and throw the ball down the field. You cover the short stuff well and the offense will stall or turn the ball over.
Put down the terrible towel and natty ice. Dixon is not an NFL caliber QB and not nearly the running threat you are implying.

Put down the terrible towel and natty ice. Dixon is not an NFL caliber QB and not nearly the running threat you are implying.
You can insult us if you want but the Natty Ice comment was a low blow. :thumbdown: At least make it an Iron City...

Users who are viewing this thread