What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

brohans lets talk about tacos (1 Viewer)

SWC said:
i like a lot of things but one thing i really like is tacos i think my favorite is carnitas on a soft shell flower shell and for toppings i do red onion that you just cut up and put some real lime juice like from a lime not a plastic lime and sea salt on and then fresh cut discs of jalapeno that right there brohans and a pacifico is pretty magnifico if you know what i mean so what do you brohans think about tacos take that to the bank bromigos 
Carnitas is a popular dinner option at my house.  We put together a toppings bar with red onions, jalapenos, lettuce, cheese, lime wedges, bell peppers, cilantro, sour cream, salt, pepper, cumin, hot sauce.  Diners can go with soft shells to roll up into tacos, chips to make nachos, or use a bowl if they are watching their carbs.  

Next carnitas night I'm gonna make a soft shell with carnitas, red onion, jalapeno, salt, squeeze the juice of a lime wedge across the top, drop the remains of the lime down the neck of a Pacifico bottle.  Call it the "SWC Special". 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Carnitas is a popular dinner option at my house.  We put together a toppings bar with red onions, jalapenos, lettuce, cheese, lime wedges, bell peppers, cilantro, sour cream, salt, pepper, cumin, hot sauce.  Diners can go with soft shells to roll up into tacos, chips to make nachos, or use a bowl if they are watching their carbs.  

Next carnitas night I'm gonna make a soft shell with carnitas, red onion, jalapeno, salt, squeeze the juice of a lime wedge across the top, drop the remains of the lime down the neck of a Pacifico bottle.  Call it the "SWC Special". 
brohan that would make me so honored i love them that way take that to the bank brochacho yes the brochacho 

look i never judge anyones taco freestyling because brohans a mans taco way is very personal but for me cheese just does not do it i like the soft carnitas with soft shell tacos and then i like the texture prophile change that the red onions and jalapenos bring and then bam a little salt and a little sweet on the onions that is my jam that is all i am saying take that to the bank brohans 

bruce you have raised a great point and i would like to say that in addition to taco talk and listing of taco songs i would also like to open up this thread to taco hacks take that to the bank bromigos 

Wen you start assembling your plate of tacos, spread a soft shell across the plate first.  Then build your tacos.  Then take the drippings and scraps that fell out of your tacos and roll them up in the soft shell your put across your plate at the start.  Bonus taco.  Clean plate.
:slowclap:

• Smile
look i never judge anyones taco freestyling because brohans a mans taco way is very personal but for me cheese just does not do it i like the soft carnitas with soft shell tacos and then i like the texture prophile change that the red onions and jalapenos bring and then bam a little salt and a little sweet on the onions that is my jam that is all i am saying take that to the bank brohans 
That's why carnitas night at my house is a toppings bar, brohan.  Lets everyone customize their carnitas just how they like 'em.  Express yourself, try different combinations, find your favorite(s).  I like to serve it up when guests are coming over.  Some nights we add rice to the toppings bar for our friends who like to have the salty, juicy goodness of the carnitas soaked up into the rice and add another texture to the experience.            

• Smile
thai and korean bbq on tacos and slaw to match is just awesome and opens a whole new wing to the taco thread brohan you take that right to the bank 

ps please remember that i said it was ok to name your favorite taco song in this thread to take that to the bank brohans 
Gotta be Taco Flavored Kisses but that's probably because it's the only taco themed song I know.
it does not have to be a taco theme song it just could be like your personal taco walk up song or a song that you like to hear when you are eatin a taco thats all brohans we dont judge around here take that to the bank bromigos 

These are excellent ideas.  Take foods you could serve on skewers but deliver them in taco shells instead.  Really like the idea of chicken satay in a soft shell with some slaw and peanut sauce drizzled over the top.  Gonna try that.
yep.... i take em off of the skewers and dice smaller.  for the jerk, i make a pineapple slaw and crema with pickapeppa sauce and clove

this thead is actually getting hard to read becuase it is making me really hungry holy smokes brohans we got it all up in here good sugestions for tacos good music and taco hacks this really is bralhalla for taco fanatics take that to the bank bromigos 

SWC said:
i like a lot of things but one thing i really like is tacos i think my favorite is carnitas on a soft shell flower shell and for toppings i do red onion that you just cut up and put some real lime juice like from a lime not a plastic lime and sea salt on and then fresh cut discs of jalapeno that right there brohans and a pacifico is pretty magnifico if you know what i mean so what do you brohans think about tacos take that to the bank bromigos 
"Discs" of jalapeno are for guppies. Taco Sharks use diced jalapenos....YWIA. 

There are SO MANY awesome Messican places here and around Tampa Bay that I could literally have tacos from a different place every day and it would take me months to go through them all. And most have ridiculous delicious tacos, usually between $1.00 and $2.50 each.

I usually stick with traditional street tacos (meat, onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime). And I prefer flour over corn tortillas, which I know some will say is blasphemy, but Im not a big fan of corn tortillas. When I make tacos at home I ALWAYS add either diced avocado or I whip up a small quick batch of guac. It really takes them to another level. Ill add fresh diced jalps if I have them.

Favorite proteins: Pastor, Barbacoa, Carnitas, Asada, Lengua. I got no time for chicken on tacos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a shout out to anyone in the San Diego area, or planning to be there, that The Taco Stand is a destination type place. As in make the proactive decision to go there and then plan the rest of your day around that decision.

The tacos are incredibly well made but on top of that they are a great value. Paying $2.99 for a single Al Pastor taco may seem like a premium price, particularly when you consider that in San Diego you can throw a rock from any location in any direction and it will land within 50 feet of a place where you can get five solid rolled tacos with cheese and guac for the same price. However at The Taco Stand you immediately recognize that you are getting a taco made with high quality ingredients, individually and lovingly hand crafted by people who know how to make a damn tasty taco.

While I could easily sit down and down one of each in a single sitting, these are decent sized tacos. Not Cheesecake Factory portions where they substitute size for quality but these are definitely more substantial than your average taco stand taco.  Two tacos will absolutely satisfy your hunger and get those endorphins pumping.  Throw in a beer, or three, and you should probably just head home for the night because your day just couldn't get any better from there.

yep.... i take em off of the skewers and dice smaller.  for the jerk, i make a pineapple slaw and crema with pickapeppa sauce and clove
A good buddy of mine scratched out a living for years making beef jerky from a towable smoker he parked near his sister's beauty salon. Often they'd pull meat before it was finished jerky and make tacos from it. They were ephen good tacos, everyone agreed. So he decided to give a taco shop a go knowing he was too white to compete with traditional Mexican styles. It's easily the best taco shop in my nowhere town, and it features what you're thinking in the quote. The menu. Jerk, Korean, lemon garlic (Greek-ish), Buffalo style, Southern bbq, and the street style is more traditional. Pics. I eat there once a week minimum. 

Just had a couple puffer tacos from Fort Taco here in St. Louis. It's a drive through only place that doesn't have a freezer or a microwave. Everything is made to order. They are called puffers because they deep fry each shell and they puff up. I had one chicken and one al pastor. Such a guilty pleasure that I wish I could handle the calories and do more than once or month or so. 

• Smile
Are we allowed to objectify these tacos simply on how they taste or the hardness of their shells? Come on guys. We're better than this. We should not rank them on our taste buds alone, but on the completeness of the tacos. Not simply as something that satisfies one of our base, primal needs that we need to sustain life and continue the species. 

(sorry if this joke has already been done)

A good buddy of mine scratched out a living for years making beef jerky from a towable smoker he parked near his sister's beauty salon. Often they'd pull meat before it was finished jerky and make tacos from it. They were ephen good tacos, everyone agreed. So he decided to give a taco shop a go knowing he was too white to compete with traditional Mexican styles. It's easily the best taco shop in my nowhere town, and it features what you're thinking in the quote. The menu. Jerk, Korean, lemon garlic (Greek-ish), Buffalo style, Southern bbq, and the street style is more traditional. Pics. I eat there once a week minimum. 
great menu.  my kind of place.

• Smile
great menu.  my kind of place.
agree this looks ephen fantastic see what i did there take that to the bank brohans 

shame as i do not think i will be in the vicinity.  I can see some time in paso, santa barbara, santa maria, santa ynez, and solvang   in the future

:kicksrock:

• Smile
When my meat is pulled it often finishes early.  Pass on the crema when I'm making jerky tacos. 

(that place looks awesome btw)

• Smile
Just a shout out to anyone in the San Diego area, or planning to be there, that The Taco Stand is a destination type place. As in make the proactive decision to go there and then plan the rest of your day around that decision.

The tacos are incredibly well made but on top of that they are a great value. Paying $2.99 for a single Al Pastor taco may seem like a premium price, particularly when you consider that in San Diego you can throw a rock from any location in any direction and it will land within 50 feet of a place where you can get five solid rolled tacos with cheese and guac for the same price. However at The Taco Stand you immediately recognize that you are getting a taco made with high quality ingredients, individually and lovingly hand crafted by people who know how to make a damn tasty taco.

While I could easily sit down and down one of each in a single sitting, these are decent sized tacos. Not Cheesecake Factory portions where they substitute size for quality but these are definitely more substantial than your average taco stand taco.  Two tacos will absolutely satisfy your hunger and get those endorphins pumping.  Throw in a beer, or three, and you should probably just head home for the night because your day just couldn't get any better from there.
:thumbup: might be there late june.  if so, will check it out in addition to old favorites robertos and nicos

• Smile
:thumbup: might be there late june.  if so, will check it out in addition to old favorites robertos and nicos
You can't go wrong with any of the "Os". Robertos, Roybertos, Albertos, Jilbertos, Alibiertos etc. all pretty darn excellent.

I view fast Mexican food in San Diego the same way I view grabbing a slice in NYC. It's not that we necessarily make the best in the world (although we may) it's the fact that you can pretty much pick a place at random from the thousands of options and you are pretty much guaranteed a good experience.

You can't go wrong with any of the "Os". Robertos, Roybertos, Albertos, Jilbertos, Alibiertos etc. all pretty darn excellent.

I view fast Mexican food in San Diego the same way I view grabbing a slice in NYC. It's not that we necessarily make the best in the world (although we may) it's the fact that you can pretty much pick a place at random from the thousands of options and you are pretty much guaranteed a good experience.
I have a sister walking distance to the Taco Stand in Encinitas and I've never been. Maybe because it's hard to walk passed InNOut, but more likely because a block the other way is Oscar's. Fish tacos to die for. It is an incredible embarrassment of riches there.

• Smile
Just had a couple puffer tacos from Fort Taco here in St. Louis. It's a drive through only place that doesn't have a freezer or a microwave. Everything is made to order. They are called puffers because they deep fry each shell and they puff up. I had one chicken and one al pastor. Such a guilty pleasure that I wish I could handle the calories and do more than once or month or so. 
Puffy Tacos are a San Antonio specialty.  Never seen them anywhere else.  Good to know if I ever get to St. Louis again.

Favorite proteins: Pastor, Barbacoa, Carnitas, Asada, Lengua. I got no time for chicken on tacos.
Agreed. I'm just not a chicken person in general. I don't remember the last time I've ordered chicken at a restaurant, or bought chicken breasts. Every once in a while, for tacos at home, if I don't have any beef or pork and am feeling cheap, I'll get a pack of boneless chicken thighs for about $4. They grill up nicely, and make for some nice tacos (and other stuff).

• Smile
Ron Swanson said:
Puffy Tacos are a San Antonio specialty.  Never seen them anywhere else.  Good to know if I ever get to St. Louis again.
There was this bowling alley that got torn down years ago that had this little greasy spoon diner inside. I mean it was such a 50's diner trapped in the 80's that it was almost a caricature of itself. It served the best smash burgers and puffer tacos. I hadn't had one in 20 years. When I saw them, I was in love. If only they could make that oily hotsauce that looked like absolute hell but was magnificent!

• Smile
Ron Swanson said:
A couple of neighborhood joints in the KC metro have them, too.  At least one of them references San Antonio as an influence.  

Highly recommend the Torchy's Tacos chain across Texas, now expanding to other states.  First had them in San Antonio.  

ETA: link to the Torchy's menu

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile

Users who are viewing this thread