What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Flores Sues NYG and NFL for Racial Discrimination (1 Viewer)

Yeah the point was more that widespread lack of equal opportunity is a problem that looks no different than discrimination.

I don't imagine it's easy to show actual intentional discrimination happened in most individual cases. I think lack of equal opportunity is pretty obvious though.

I'll also say, given how many overtly racist or discriminatory things I've seen in my life, I'm sure there are events that are intentional discrimination in this arena too. Just not easy to point at the evidence to them because people don't usually put it out there so blatantly in a work environment.

unfortunately "looks like" racial discrimination and being able to prove that it "actually is"....are two different things....

if we are saying that "somebody's head is going to roll".....I haven't seen anything to where you can prove to a jury that somebody was specifically racially discriminated against here.....and who exactly was the person or persons doing the discriminating....there is no smoking "he was fired/wasn't hired because he is AA" gun here....

there can be some sweeping generalizations and you can talk all the percentages you want....but I'm not seeing any specific evidence that something happened or didn't happen to Flores solely because he is AA...

just because it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and quacks like a duck...doesn't mean you can prove its a duck...
So you're calling Flores a liar?

If you go with "He Said He Said" you are calling Flores a liar, either Ross offered $100k or he didn't. If you had to pick which one to believe regardless of evidence, who would you say fabricated things out of thin air?

Maybe we never had a guy with a set of balls as big as Flores willing to repeat or say what Ross did behind closed doors, I find it refreshing and I wonder what else we aren't supposed to know about. 

If you try and Pontious Pilate a man who was "humiliated"(his words) like Christ at the foot of the cross by the band of drunk Roman Soldiers then you don't really believe Flores and would rather hold his hands and feet in place as Ross and the NFL/Roger Goodell drive the stakes thru. You can't wash your hands clean of all this by saying "there's no proof" 

We believe woman when they cry out in the work place, why not here for a man that feels like he was violated?  

If you go with "He Said He Said" you are calling Flores a liar, either Ross offered $100k or he didn't. If you had to pick which one to believe regardless of evidence, who would you say fabricated things out of thin air?

Maybe we never had a guy with a set of balls as big as Flores willing to repeat or say what Ross did behind closed doors, I find it refreshing and I wonder what else we aren't supposed to know about. 

If you try and Pontious Pilate a man who was "humiliated"(his words) like Christ at the foot of the cross by the band of drunk Roman Soldiers then you don't really believe Flores and would rather hold his hands and feet in place as Ross and the NFL/Roger Goodell drive the stakes thru. You can't wash your hands clean of all this by saying "there's no proof" 

We believe woman when they cry out in the work place, why not here for a man that feels like he was violated?  
How is Ross offering 100K racist?

How is Ross offering 100K discrimatory?

Last edited by a moderator:

I kind of separate this into two different things....#1 racial discrimination allegations.....#2 offering to pay him money to lose....

kind of two separate things to me....

but Flores case is for Racial Discrimination and they are asking for a jury trial.....I am not trying to wash my hands of anything, I am just saying if you are asking a jury to agree with you and rule there was racial discrimination I think you are going to need more of an actual smoking gun then BB getting some scoop info from somebody and tossing out percentages....

Because he just "knows" it is. That is enough for some people in the year of our lord 2022. 
The 2 things aren't even in the same stratosphere......

Flores not getting a proper NYG interview OR a job - sure we can argue the merits and  discrimination - sure

Getting money offered to lose games?   I dont get it  

Yeah the point was more that widespread lack of equal opportunity is a problem that looks no different than discrimination.

I don't imagine it's easy to show actual intentional discrimination happened in most individual cases. I think lack of equal opportunity is pretty obvious though.

I'll also say, given how many overtly racist or discriminatory things I've seen in my life, I'm sure there are events that are intentional discrimination in this arena too. Just not easy to point at the evidence to them because people don't usually put it out there so blatantly in a work environment.
this is fair and I could maybe get behind a suit that is claiming lack of equal opportunity.....racial discrimination here not so much....unless more actual smoking gun stuff comes out later...

That comment doesn't feel racist on the surface but i have a ton of posts over the last many pages, I've been very clear on my stance and why I do think the word "Rigid" was a very good clue that some back channeling racism was happening. 

In the Investment Banking umbrella I worked in 15-20 years ago I saw minorities passed over for promotions many times based on the fact they were "rigid" and when they found out you bent a rule or two they would flip out. Ross and the Miami Dolphins said Flores was difficult/rigid/hard to work with and was not fired based on wins and losses...I didn't know that you didn't coach the Miami Dolphins to win football games, that would matter to me a lot as a Phinsfan, why root for a team that doesn't desire to win?

You can't have it both ways, either you want the coach to win or you want a yes-man to follow your orders, we've seen what Ross values most. 

I kind of separate this into two different things....#1 racial discrimination allegations.....#2 offering to pay him money to lose....

but Flores case is for Racial Discrimination and they are asking for a jury trial.....I am not trying to wash my hands of anything, I am just saying if you are asking a jury to agree with you and rule there was racial discrimination I think you are going to need more of an actual smoking gun then BB getting some scoop info from somebody and tossing out percentages....
Well said, appreciate you clarifying and acknowledging other view points. 

I have a thread devoted to the Non-racial part of this lawsuit. I think Ross should be removed immediately or put on the Commish list until a very thorough investigation can be conducted, might take a year or more if they can summon Moeller out of retirement. This is FBI level criminal activity which is why it is being reported and NFL already after saying the lawsuit had no merits has announced they are investigating already. 

It's a lawsuit that involves a wrongful termination. Listing things that support that contention is expected, isn't it?

But since you ask, a lawyer could raise the issue that a poor record negatively impacts a coach's future career opportunities. And are white coaches subjected to such pressure and incentives to lose intentionally also?  Or is the potential long-term harm done to their careers more acceptable to the owner when it's inflicted on a minority?  Which other coaches come forward with similar tales might be evidence for or against there being a racial bias element.

As a Texans fan, I assumed from the start that Culley was a temporary hire and even posted at the time it was quite possibly to hold them over until Josh McCown got more experience (though I expected he'd end up on a staff last year).  Does Culley's race play a role in their decision on why they chose him over any other candidate?  I don't know.  I think it being a Hail Mary attempt to appease Deshaun Watson (before the lawsuits) was probably the biggest consideration since Watson reportedly viewed Culley favorably. But it could be argued in court, is my point.

But anyway, you asked. That's how I imagine it could be brought up in court.

menobrown said:
I rail against this all the time but I don't really do so because I view the players as racist or want them corrected for being racist, I just strongly disagree with the premise of this argument.

It's become sort of a January tradition that we'll be inundated with "the NFL has a minority hiring problem" and then the media and players will regurgitate the 70% stat as the reason and it drives me nuts.

Reason it drives me nuts is that no one in media seems to allow for an honest discussion such as what does playing in the league have to do with performing one of those jobs? Why does everyone just go silent and let that stat keep getting hammered in our heads without any pushback that one thing(playing in the league) has historically speaking had little to nothing to do with success of another thing(being a good head coach or GM)?

The reality is key NFL hires for HC and GM's has been fairly in line with the general population which to me is a more accurate barometer but fact no one wants to that bothers me every year.

Read a study a few weeks ago were something around 115 current coaches in the NFL are related to past or current coaches in the NFL. This is part of the reason for the Rooney rule, because I disagree the NFL has a minority hiring problem but they might have a relationship hiring problem but way it just gets presented is not like that at all, that in a league were every team is probably worth more then $2Billion that they are still not hiring key people over race. I don't buy it, at all.
It looks like they have both a minority hiring problem and a relationship hiring problem.

Coaching has nothing to do with the owners making money, franchises that are not winning are still very profitable.

Most of the head coaches in the NFL played college ball. 

The percentage of minority college players is greater than the percentage of minorities in the general population.

Well said, appreciate you clarifying and acknowledging other view points. 

I have a thread devoted to the Non-racial part of this lawsuit. I think Ross should be removed immediately or put on the Commish list until a very thorough investigation can be conducted, might take a year or more if they can summon Moeller out of retirement. This is FBI level criminal activity which is why it is being reported and NFL already after saying the lawsuit had no merits has announced they are investigating already. 
That is a terrible idea.  But hey, if someone gets accused of a crime, why not just throw them in prison for a year until we know for sure if they are guilty or not.  

Look, I get that Ross is probably a scumbag of some sort, but this Twitter-type "someone is guilty the instant they are accused" mentality is just gross.  Maybe, just maybe, wait until we know more before going off non-stop in multiple threads about how guilty the guy clearly is.   I know that wouldn't be you doing you, but it would make more sense. 

The 2 things aren't even in the same stratosphere......

Flores not getting a proper NYG interview OR a job - sure we can argue the merits and  discrimination - sure

Getting money offered to lose games?   I dont get it  
FWIW, I believe ESPN tied the getting money to lose thing as, "They considered Flores a puppet since he is black and therefore could push him into it."  

But then ESPN has pretty much gone off the deep end on the whole racial divide issue.

this is fair and I could maybe get behind a suit that is claiming lack of equal opportunity.....racial discrimination here not so much....unless more actual smoking gun stuff comes out later...
It's a class action lawsuit though, it's not just Brian Flores.  I'm far from qualified to say how much that aspect of the case is going to look at lack of equal opportunity.  It seems like it should be a big part of it though.

That comment doesn't feel racist on the surface but i have a ton of posts over the last many pages, I've been very clear on my stance and why I do think the word "Rigid" was a very good clue that some back channeling racism was happening. 

In the Investment Banking umbrella I worked in 15-20 years ago I saw minorities passed over for promotions many times based on the fact they were "rigid" and when they found out you bent a rule or two they would flip out. Ross and the Miami Dolphins said Flores was difficult/rigid/hard to work with and was not fired based on wins and losses...I didn't know that you didn't coach the Miami Dolphins to win football games, that would matter to me a lot as a Phinsfan, why root for a team that doesn't desire to win?

You can't have it both ways, either you want the coach to win or you want a yes-man to follow your orders, we've seen what Ross values most. 
There's quite a continuum between "yes-man" and "jerk."  If I'm hiring somebody for a leadership position, I don't want either one.  

Some people really are jerks that just can't along with other people.  I have absolutely no idea if Brian Flores is one of those people.  Neither do you (probably -- obviously you follow the Dolphins much more closely than I do, but surely we'd both agree that neither of us really knows what goes on in the building on a typical day).  But firing somebody for being jerk is fine, and being black doesn't make you immune from being a jerk.

In the same way that folks should probably keep an open mind about many of Flores's allegations, folks should also keep an open mind about who is at fault when a relationship goes south.

I agree, by the way, that for what matters to me they are more separate issues. I don't think the $100k is central to the discriminatory aspects. 

But it is a huge deal that should have the attention of every sports fan for its own implication. Even if it never plays a big role in the rest of the case, I'm glad if this brought it to light. It's one thing to hoard draft picks or cap room for timing where it'll help you produce a winning team.  It's another thing to intentionally try to lose a game in game time efforts.

There's quite a continuum between "yes-man" and "jerk."  If I'm hiring somebody for a leadership position, I don't want either one.  

Some people really are jerks that just can't along with other people.  I have absolutely no idea if Brian Flores is one of those people.  Neither do you (probably -- obviously you follow the Dolphins much more closely than I do, but surely we'd both agree that neither of us really knows what goes on in the building on a typical day).  But firing somebody for being jerk is fine, and being black doesn't make you immune from being a jerk.

In the same way that folks should probably keep an open mind about many of Flores's allegations, folks should also keep an open mind about who is at fault when a relationship goes south.
"In the same way that folks should probably keep an open mind about many of Flores's allegations, folks should also keep an open mind about who is at fault when a relationship goes south."

-I'll start with the owner Stephen Ross who writes the checks trying to persuade his employee to tank games and break NFL Rules and Federal Laws, that's gotta put a strain on any relationship but especially one where it's Boss/Owner vs Employee.   

It's a lawsuit that involves a wrongful termination. Listing things that support that contention is expected, isn't it?

But since you ask, a lawyer could raise the issue that a poor record negatively impacts a coach's future career opportunities. And are white coaches subjected to such pressure and incentives to lose intentionally also?  Or is the potential long-term harm done to their careers more acceptable to the owner when it's inflicted on a minority?  Which other coaches come forward with similar tales might be evidence for or against there being a racial bias element.

As a Texans fan, I assumed from the start that Culley was a temporary hire and even posted at the time it was quite possibly to hold them over until Josh McCown got more experience (though I expected he'd end up on a staff last year).  Does Culley's race play a role in their decision on why they chose him over any other candidate?  I don't know.  I think it being a Hail Mary attempt to appease Deshaun Watson (before the lawsuits) was probably the biggest consideration since Watson reportedly viewed Culley favorably. But it could be argued in court, is my point.

But anyway, you asked. That's how I imagine it could be brought up in court.
White coaches like Dennis Allen who went 8-28 as a Head Coach, 8 wins out of 36 games meaning he lost 28 of them and he still being mentioned as a potential Head Coach for openings as we speak. 

Flores went 24-18 his last 42 games and 8-1 his final 9 games as Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins, and it's so glaring what happened here that Ross and the Phins try and cook up that Flores is difficult and rigid to work with for their likings and that his record as head coach was not a factor in their decision.  I can smell the bull honkey thru the computer screen and I'm not referring to you or any other individual here, I'm simply communicating what i am reading from articles and media that have spoken out so far. 

Josh McDaniel was 11-17 as a head coach. He even backed out of the last offer that was made towards him, a gift that many coaches but especially black head coaches are not afforded the same decency and the stats back that up. 

White coaches like Dennis Allen who went 8-28 as a Head Coach, 8 wins out of 36 games meaning he lost 28 of them and he still being mentioned as a potential Head Coach for openings as we speak. 

Flores went 24-18 his last 42 games and 8-1 his final 9 games as Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins, and it's so glaring what happened here that Ross and the Phins try and cook up that Flores is difficult and rigid to work with for their likings and that his record as head coach was not a factor in their decision.  I can smell the bull honkey thru the computer screen and I'm not referring to you or any other individual here, I'm simply communicating what i am reading from articles and media that have spoken out so far. 

Josh McDaniel was 11-17 as a head coach. He even backed out of the last offer that was made towards him, a gift that many coaches but especially black head coaches are not afforded the same decency and the stats back that up. 
So you're saying that if a white HC has a poor record and is considered being hired that it is an indication of racism?  There can be tons of reasons why a winning coach is fired or a losing coach is hired.  Top of the list could be personality differences.  There can also be differences in how they see the future system being put in place.  Yes, racism may be an issue, but it isn't always as simple as it seems.

FWIW, I believe ESPN tied the getting money to lose thing as, "They considered Flores a puppet since he is black and therefore could push him into it."  

But then ESPN has pretty much gone off the deep end on the whole racial divide issue.
ESPN is more racist than anyone but that should probably be left for the ESPN thread. There are too many examples to get into about those hypocrites. 

This is all a very bad look for the NFL. 

The racism allegation should not be shocking to anyone who’s paid attention to the NFL hiring practices.

Al Davis hired the 1st Latino & 1st black coach, and hired the 1st woman to run a front office. Shell was hired in 1989, so it’s not like ancient history, and it certainly didn’t open a flood gate of minority hiring by other teams.

In fact as of 2020 there are 3 black HC in the NFL. The samE # as when the Rooney Rule was enacted.

The biggest shock in this story is the “paid to lose games” factor. I’m not saying racism in hiring isn’t a problem - hardly. But the Rooney Rule has always been a tokenistic joke, and I’m pretty sure it’s no secret.  But if indeed coaches were paid to throw games, that’s something that could destroy the sport’s credibility.

If this were the NBA, those owners would be ousted.

The other issue I have witn this is Goodell immediately coming out to outright reject the claims, despite zero investigation. 

It all harkens back to a league that’s run by a fiefdom of billionaires, that’s allowed to police itself, with a commissioner who’s a mouthpiece for those owners, and a players union that's one of the weakest representative bodies in any sport.

this has the potential to get very ugly. 

So you're saying that if a white HC has a poor record and is considered being hired that it is an indication of racism?  There can be tons of reasons why a winning coach is fired or a losing coach is hired.  Top of the list could be personality differences.  There can also be differences in how they see the future system being put in place.  Yes, racism may be an issue, but it isn't always as simple as it seems.
But do any of those other reasons generate a buzz like racism? Until clicks stop mattering this will always be. People love the little guy fighting the evil empire. Sprinkle in a little racism and enjoy the clicks. 

"In the same way that folks should probably keep an open mind about many of Flores's allegations, folks should also keep an open mind about who is at fault when a relationship goes south."

-I'll start with the owner Stephen Ross who writes the checks trying to persuade his employee to tank games and break NFL Rules and Federal Laws, that's gotta put a strain on any relationship but especially one where it's Boss/Owner vs Employee.   
We don't know whether that allegation is true.  I'm inclined to believe Flores, but I'm only like 60% confident or so that he's telling the truth.  (The other 40% includes a decent chunk of the time when Ross said exactly what he's being alleged to have said, only jokingly and misunderstood by Flores.) 

Also, it's perfectly possible that Ross wanted his team to deliberately throw games, and Flores is also a jerk.  Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

This is all a very bad look for the NFL. 

The racism allegation should not be shocking to anyone who’s paid attention to the NFL hiring practices.

Al Davis hired the 1st Latino & 1st black coach, and hired the 1st woman to run a front office. Shell was hired in 1989, so it’s not like ancient history, and it certainly didn’t open a flood gate of minority hiring by other teams.

In fact there have been 3 black HC in the NFL. 
huh?

Here’s the thing about “throwing games”.

We all know it happens to some extent. “Suck for Luck”, etc. it’s not a secret that teams try for a higher draft pick. Which sometimes might mean not trying as hard to win. Kicking a FG rather than going for it on 4th and 1, less aggressive play calling, etc. And fans to some extent, seem to be in on the schtick - I remember some Jets fans tweeting their displeasure at them winning 4 games. But I respect that they came out and won games - to me that’s the essence of fair play. 

But playing less aggressively is vastly different than actually paying a coach a bonus to throw a game.

If there’s proof of that allegation, that’s really, really bad.

The suit is the engine driving this whole thing, but if the goal is to shine a lot on some shady stuff, the outcome of the suit is really not important. 
Yeah - Flores is likely committing career suicide here. And it’s a shame, because he’s a really talented coach who IMO absolutely deserves another shot, which he is now incredibly unlikely to ever get.

The sad part is that while sunlight is supposed to be a disinfectant, this is the NFL we’re talking about. They’ve gotten away with these hiring practices basically since the inception of the modern league (and before) so it would be surprising to see anything change now.

Clearly the Rooney Rule does nothing to actually help. They set the bar super low & NFL owners were only too happy to stoop down to meet it. It’s literally the bare minimum standard. 

They’ve gotten away with these hiring practices basically since the inception of the modern league (and before) so it would be surprising to see anything change now.
The hiring practices of employing hundreds if not thousands of POC since they owned their teams? These guys also own other companies  and have their hands in a lot of other businesses as well. Or do you just mean HC?

Yeah - Flores is likely committing career suicide here. And it’s a shame, because he’s a really talented coach who IMO absolutely deserves another shot, which he is now incredibly unlikely to ever get.

The sad part is that while sunlight is supposed to be a disinfectant, this is the NFL we’re talking about. They’ve gotten away with these hiring practices basically since the inception of the modern league (and before) so it would be surprising to see anything change now.

Clearly the Rooney Rule does nothing to actually help. They set the bar super low & NFL owners were only too happy to stoop down to meet it. It’s literally the bare minimum standard. 
I think Flores was like a young Belichick in many ways. All he needed was a great QB.

When there is a black candidate with a better record, went 19-14 last 2 seasons in Miami and has actual Head Coaching experience and he's being passed up by assistants and guys that say what the owners want to hear on meetings/interviews, the optics look bad but perhaps not to everyone. 

Flores was hailed in the media as an immediate hire, Ross was lambasted for firing him and had to use vague language and say he wasn't fired based on merits, that is just lousy for everyone including the 75,000 on Sundays, the fan base at home watching on TV, the people who pay money to support the Miami Dolphins deserve much better from ownership at the top. 

I support national media calling for Ross to be ousted ASAP, time for the NFL to move on. 

And how about idiot Hue Jackson. Now whining saying same thing happened in Cleveland 5 years ago while he was being an inept coach! Hahahaha. But he apparently had no issue with it while coaching since he didn't say anything  then. Go crawl back in your hole Hue, what a joke.
Hue does come off as shady but he claims he went to the league with this years ago. 

Also Jimmy Haslam isn't exactly the poster boy for ethics 

We don't know whether that allegation is true.  I'm inclined to believe Flores, but I'm only like 60% confident or so that he's telling the truth.  (The other 40% includes a decent chunk of the time when Ross said exactly what he's being alleged to have said, only jokingly and misunderstood by Flores.) 

Also, it's perfectly possible that Ross wanted his team to deliberately throw games, and Flores is also a jerk.  Those things aren't mutually exclusive.
I'm sure the FBI will wholeheartedly agree with you and pursue one of them with a lot more gusto than the other 

Flores' allegations against Elway and the Broncos make zero sense.

- The Broncos had just hired a black man (V. Joseph) as head coach over a highly-sought after white man (K. Shanahan)

- Then overnight Elway turns into a racist by choosing Fangio over Flores?

Just dumb. Joseph would still be a black head coach if he was actually any good.

The hiring practices of employing hundreds if not thousands of POC since they owned their teams? These guys also own other companies  and have their hands in a lot of other businesses as well. Or do you just mean HC?
Plantations could also be said to “employ hundreds of not thousands of POC”.

None were in charge though. 👍🏼

And in this topic we are only discussing HC positions. I’m not sure what an owner’s publicly traded companies (who actually do have to follow the laws regarding discriminatory hiring practices) have to do with this. Are you suggesting that since Kraft Foods might have black executives, that it would be impossible for the NFL to discriminate as alleged? 

Sorry, but these are entirely dissimilar things. The NFL isn’t a public company, and NFL teams aren’t public companies. 

For a long time it was thought that a black man couldn’t play QB. So for a long long time there weren’t any black QBs. That isn’t some made up conspiracy theory, it’s the well understood history of the sport.

i’m not really sure what your point is other than false equivalence. 

I am not expecting sudden league-wide changes, but I do think it is possible that there are more revelations to come, and that could very well drive some changes at more than one team. 

John Elways disputes Flores claims.

Elway responded that he seriously considered Flores, one of five candidates for the job that ultimately went to then-Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. And he denied Flores' contention he was hung over and just going through the motions to satisfy the league's requirement that teams interview minority candidates for head coaching jobs.

“For Brian to make an assumption about my appearance and state of mind early that morning was subjective, hurtful and he is just plain wrong," Elway said in his statement.

Elway said that if he appeared disheveled, “it was because we had just flown in during the middle of the night” following an interview in Denver with another candidate, Mike Munchak, “and were going on a few hours of sleep to meet the only window for the interview provided to us.”

Broncos' Elway ‘could not be silent any longer' after Flores' claims

While I was not planning to respond publicly to the false and defamatory claims by Brian Flores, I could not be silent any longer with my character, integrity and professionalism being attacked.

I took Coach Flores very seriously as a candidate for our head coaching position in 2019 and enjoyed our three-and-a-half hour interview with him. Along with the rest of our group, I was prepared, ready and fully engaged during the entire interview as Brian shared his experience and vision for our team.

It's unfortunate and shocking to learn for the first time this week that Brian felt differently about our interview with him.

For Brian to make an assumption about my appearance and state of mind early that morning was subjective, hurtful and just plain wrong. If I appeared "disheveled," as he claimed, it was because we had flown in during the middle of the night-immediately following another interview in Denver-and were going on a few hours of sleep to meet the only window provided to us.

I interviewed Brian in good faith, giving him the same consideration and opportunity as every other candidate for our head coaching position in 2019.

Denver Broncos President of Football Operations John Elway

Flores said in the lawsuit, "Broncos' then-General Manager, John Elway, President and Chief Executive Officer Joe Ellis and others, showed up an hour late to the interview. They looked completely disheveled, and it was obvious that they had been drinking heavily the night before. It was clear from the substance of the interview that Mr. Flores was interviewed only because of the Rooney Rule, and that the Broncos never had any intention to consider him as a legitimate candidate for the job. Shortly thereafter, Vic Fangio, a white man, was hired to be the Head Coach of the Broncos."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/broncos-elway-could-not-be-silent-any-longer-after-flores-claims/ar-AATrIdu?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL

Ross has investments in sports betting companies

https://www.yogonet.com/international/noticias/2019/11/29/51709-nfls-miami-dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-invests-in-sports-betting-startup

Not sure why the NFL would even allow this, but this guy needs to be banned from the NFL.  

I'm having a hard time connecting the dots on why this would be something the FBI would be interested in.   From the above article and the website this company is not taking bets.  It just seems to be a place where gamblers would go to get information regarding trends, odds, etc.   The app looks like a way to track your bets, win rates, etc.   From the article:

“As more and more states legalize sports betting, we believe that a new media company will emerge to service this sector, one that best integrates data and content,” said Matt Higgins, RSE’s co-founder and CEO. “The Action Network has a unique blend of imaginative content creators and data miners. It’s a compelling combination that’s translating to impressive growth in subscriptions.”

How is this investment something that would make the FBI take notice and act upon it?   I get if he's placing bets or involved in a point shaving scandal etc., but as others have pointed out, other teams have tanked to get better draft picks.  Offering Flores $$ to lose speaks to Ross' moral character but it seems like a NFL internal issue as opposed to a federal offense.   

If the NFL really wanted to attempt to fix the whole lose to get a better draft pick, they would go to a draft lottery like the NHL & NBA.   It wouldn't fix it completely but at least there is no guarantee that going 0-17 will get you the first pick in the draft.   

I get if he's placing bets or involved in a point shaving scandal etc.,
So is it ok for me to pay college basketball players to point shave as long as I don't place any bets myself?

Is it ok for an Alabama booster to pay a Georgia player to throw the game just because he wants to see Alabama win?

Plantations could also be said to “employ hundreds of not thousands of POC”.

None were in charge though. 👍🏼

And in this topic we are only discussing HC positions. I’m not sure what an owner’s publicly traded companies (who actually do have to follow the laws regarding discriminatory hiring practices) have to do with this. Are you suggesting that since Kraft Foods might have black executives, that it would be impossible for the NFL to discriminate as alleged? 

Sorry, but these are entirely dissimilar things. The NFL isn’t a public company, and NFL teams aren’t public companies. 

For a long time it was thought that a black man couldn’t play QB. So for a long long time there weren’t any black QBs. That isn’t some made up conspiracy theory, it’s the well understood history of the sport.

i’m not really sure what your point is other than false equivalence. 

I'll see if I can clarify further but you can't just go on talking about how plantations are ran and then end with false equivalencies lol.  If you're one of the people who feel like the NFL is modern day slavery than please let me know so I don't respond anymore.

There's not many in this thread who seem to see the racism in Flores' suit, but you seemed to, so I wanted to see your side.  

You mentioned that they have "gotten away with these hiring practices" while overlooking the hundreds and hundreds of POC these people have employed. Surly within their teams and other businesses they have hired people "who run the show" whether they be executives, managers, department leads etc. So, I'm wondering when, or even why, they decide to turn their racism on for this one spot. I find it fascinating how it's universally known that owners and teams are highly competitive, care so much about winning in a cut-throat sport where they pay POC millions (maybe billions on some teams) to win, yet they turn on their racism for one spot.  Seems strange, no?

And are there boundaries to it? For instance, you implied that the HC "runs the show".  If there was conflict between say Pat Mahomes and Andy Reid who would the owner chose to move on from in your opinion? The QB or the "guy who runs the show"? For a lot of teams, it's debatable who even does run the show between some players, coaches and GM's, right?

18 U.S. Code § 224 - Bribery in sporting contests

Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

Correct and every situation is different.  The main place Dennis Allen is under consideration is the Saints where he has done a very good job as DC since 2015.  And Dennis Allen and McDaniel's first HC job were years ago and they have had time to build themselves back up.

People like to make generalizations without taking into account context or situation.

I'll see if I can clarify further but you can't just go on talking about how plantations are ran and then end with false equivalencies lol.  If you're one of the people who feel like the NFL is modern day slavery than please let me know so I don't respond anymore.
That wasn't my analogy, just my description of your comment. 

There's not many in this thread who seem to see the racism in Flores' suit, but you seemed to, so I wanted to see your side.  
Flores suit literally alleges racism in hiring practices. 

You mentioned that they have "gotten away with these hiring practices" while overlooking the hundreds and hundreds of POC these people have employed.
And again, I made the explicit point that very few of them are employed as head coaches or front office personnel. 

I am hardly the only person to notice that there's a disparity of hiring practices. This was from a 1 second google search: 

"A few statistics make the inclusivity issues in the NFL blatantly clear. Let’s start at the coaching level. According to FiveThirtyEight, not even 10% of NFL coaches are African American. In fact, following the 2019 season, not a single one of the five head coaches hired was African American. The overall number of black coaches (three) remains the same as it was back in 2003.

The problem arguably gets even worse when you look at general managers. After Ozzie Newsome stepped down as the Baltimore Ravens GM in 2019, one black general manager was left in the NFL, the Dolphins’ Chris Grier. As recently as 2016, however, the NFL had seven African American GMs. In other words, inclusivity at the front-office level has trended in the wrong direction."

Surly within their teams and other businesses they have hired people "who run the show" whether they be executives, managers, department leads etc. So, I'm wondering when, or even why, they decide to turn their racism on for this one spot. I find it fascinating how it's universally known that owners and teams are highly competitive, care so much about winning in a cut-throat sport where they pay POC millions (maybe billions on some teams) to win, yet they turn on their racism for one spot.  Seems strange, no?
The false equivalence I spoke of is on display here. The public companies the owners run has absolutely nothing to do with their NFL teams. The public companies have significantly more transparency than the NFL, and they follow standard hiring practices. There is no "Rooney Rule" in the public space, because there's a whole slew of laws about discriminatory hiring practices that aren't applicable to the NFL. 

That is a sparkling example of false equivalence.

What these owners companies do in the public ecosystem does not absolve them from discriminatory hiring practices in the NFL. 

Also, no team pays POC "billions". 

And are there boundaries to it? For instance, you implied that the HC "runs the show".  If there was conflict between say Pat Mahomes and Andy Reid who would the owner chose to move on from in your opinion? The QB or the "guy who runs the show"? For a lot of teams, it's debatable who even does run the show between some players, coaches and GM's, right?
i don't understand this, and I don't understand why you used quotation marks to imply something I never said. That's a straw man argument, clear as day. 

I have no idea who the Chiefs ownership would move on from in your hypothetical - I doubt they'd move on from either Reid or Mahomes, unless one of them started sucking at their job. 

But since this entire paragraph is unrelated to anything I said, it doesn't really warrant any more response other than stating that I didn't say anything remotely like that & to point out the fallacy of using quote marks to imply something you're hypothetically making up. 

GregR said:
Look I get where you coming from. But the thing you've got to understand too is that just going with what you feel initially is also what reinforces unconscious bias

I'm not saying that having other, prior knowledge of someone isn't helpful or should be ignored. I'm saying that people are going to gravitate towards knowing, and liking, that which they feel most comfortable with. That is the unconscious bias. It is going to have played a role in why we ended up liking someone unless we give ourselves a chance to challenge it and give others a chance.

No one seems to be discussing "positional value" in this equation.

Something I brought up in a Rooney Rule thread in the Shark Pool over a decade ago was that a team who hires a defensive minded coach with an established defensive pedigree will need to get someone to run the offense. If they get a rising star who can play call and run good schemes and handle the QBs on the roster, then that coach is likely to get poached away as fast as possible by some other franchise. Then you have to start all over again. Which is bad for QB1s, especially young ones, to have so much turnover in coordinators/QB coaches/scheme in a short period of time ( i.e. the Alex Smith / 49ers Problem)

It makes much more sense to hire an offensive savant or QB guru or someone who seems like they can weaponize a middle QB2 prospect into something better. And then if you have success, you can keep continuity on your offense, and with your QB1, and you can keep rotating the defensive coaching until you find something that works. The league's trends and rules are heavily leaned toward benefiting the offensive side of the ball.

If you want more black head coaches, you need more black offensive coordinators and black QB1 coaches who are seen as rising stars. If you want to be a MLB head manager, you have a distinct advantage being a former catcher. Especially a non elite one. You know how to handle a pitching staff and you understand injury management and the offensive side of the game. Mike Scoscia and Bob Brenly and Joe Girardi had a far different pathway than a Bud Black to a top job. If you want to be an NBA head coach, it helps to be a former point guard. Again, especially a non elite one. You run the offense and by default you are seen as a team leader. You have a wide responsibility to know where everyone is on the court and why they need to be there to do your job.

If you have more black coaching prospects with the background of a Ken Dorsey, then you'd see more black head coaches. It's not like Dorsey's career was some kind of cakewalk. He entered SF right at the end of the last remnants of the old 49ers 1994 dynasty edge team. Then he had to suffer in Cleveland and had to prove his worth with Chris Weinke at the IMG Academy. Then he had to suffer through Cam Newton and yet he's still plugging away.

Something Steve Kerr brought up when he was the Suns GM and before his storied Warriors run was that lots of retired players just don't want the grind of coaching and the kind of life commitment that it takes. Does it matter what color skin when Ray Rhodes passed out from exhaustion because he spent so much time at work? Does it matter if Charlie Weis is white or black when he nearly died from lap band surgery to make himself more "marketable" when the trend was to hire young photogenic energetic coaches like Jon Gruden types?

I made three practical suggestions in a Rooney Rule thread over a decade ago.

1) There should be a week long offseason symposium where all owners must attend and they get to mingle and get to know all the coaching staffs of other teams. ALL OF THEM. It's a good time to have league wide coaching development classes/seminars/counseling, etc, etc. I recognize franchises don't want to expose their best cap guys, best scouts, rising stars, etc, etc but it's certainly better than this Flores mess cropping up again and again.

2) There should be an intensive coaching school paid for by the NFL itself and hiring retired coaches to mentor/counsel and train all new coaches existing in the NFL system during the offseason. I think it would be instructive for young coaches to learn from a Mike Shanahan or before he passed away, a Jim Fassel, or hear what Rex Ryan has to say. How to better interview, how to handle a difficult owner, how to manage elite players, how to get the best out of fringe roster guys.

3) There should be an effective head count done of actual coaching interviews given. When the Cowboys have a coaching opening, how many interviews does Jerry Jones give out? If the average is 5, then make it 7. You don't win hearts and minds by robbing opportunity. That's exactly what happens when a sham interview happens. It eliminates a possible interview from someone who might have had a chance at the job. The idea that the owners are giving out infinite number of interviews is not realistic. But it's a gross assumption almost always made during a Rooney Rule discussion.

I looked Flores lawsuit. It's idiotic. That's independent of race or how I feel about Ross or the Dolphins or Bullygate or MOP terrorizing a Walgreens rank and file manager over Swedish Fish or anything else. I'm not saying Flores' general concerns are idiotic, I'm saying the arguments presented are scattershot and give him no chance to actually achieve anything positive long term for black coaches. ( I'm not even going to say minority coaches since no one ever cared about Norm Chow. And let's not pretend the Fritz Pollard Alliance ever gave a single damn about Amy Trask)

Rosa Parks at the back of the bus was thought out, planned, strategic. If you want change, you need to treat your activism like a job, and like the Patriots way - Do Your Job Right.  If Flores wanted to do black coaches in general a favor, he should have gotten his ducks in a row first, then come heavy or not at all.

I've said this for 15 years in these forums, if you want solutions, you need a practical logistical fix first. This is the problem the NBA had when they boycotted games over social justice. They actually stopped playing. They demanded things "get better" What does that even mean?

Saying we need additional training by law enforcement using these kind of training methods for this duration and taught by these experts is some kind of logistical solution. Then they say we as NBA players will do fundraising to help raise money to pay for it, we can cover 75 percent of those training costs if cities can budget out the other 25 percent. A three week full time training course for all police officers on use of force taught by X and Y and Z experts from Quantico and SAS contractors and defensive tactics training from the MMA world and on and on and on.

That sounds like some kind of discussion at a solution. NBA players ranting about everyone needing to be better without a plan or a framework or some kind of end goal is insane.

Talking about feelings and how people feel has it's place. But I've never seen hug-a-thon kumbaya festivals ever fix the world's real problems.

You want people to drive down a certain path, you need to build them a road first.

Ask yourself what the NFL and the college ranks can do to get more black offensive coordinators and more black QB1 coaches and black offensive side strategists/gurus into all football systems. I'm talking about a functional framework, not a demand for some random people to "do better".  Virtue signaling is not strategy. It's not logistics. It's not an effective pathway.

Flores suit literally alleges racism in hiring practices. 
"Not many in this thread see the racism in Flores' suit"

And again, I made the explicit point that very few of them are employed as head coaches or front office personnel. 
Just to clarify, it's just these two positions that they turn their racism on, right? So a racial disparity in two roles equal racism not the entire body of work, right? Guy employees hundreds (for the NFL team) many of which are POC but who cares.  It's just these 2 that they are racist with?  This is what I want to hear more about.  Like I said, it's universally known that owners and teams are highly competitive, care so much about winning in a cut-throat sport where they pay POC millions (maybe billions, over the course of owning the team) to win, yet they turn on their racism for two spots.  Seems strange, no?

The false equivalence I spoke of is on display here.
You seem to be angrily glossing over things....

Surly within their teams and other businesses they have hired people "who run the show"
Not sure if you're aware but an NFL owner employs a lot of people outside of the ones you see on the field.

Also, no team pays POC "billions". 
Since Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys, how much would you guess he'd paid POC? I'm not doing the math but it's a lot and I'd guess north of a billion.

i don't understand this, and I don't understand why you used quotation marks to imply something I never said. That's a straw man argument, clear as day. 
My bad, you said that "none were in charge"...and you dont have to answer.  We have seen what happens to the ones who are in charge. They get the axe just as quick when #### hits the fan

Users who are viewing this thread