What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking up these second/third tier Rookie Prospects (1 Viewer)

At this point, prior to the draft, it is pretty well set that Dez Bryant, Ryan Mathews, CJ Spiller are the top 3 in this draft and will probably go within the first 3 picks of most FF rookie drafts despite which team selects them.

However, starting with pick 4...the second and third tier prospects are pretty well clumped togther.

Lets break them up and discuss them.

My thoughts on these players.

RB's

Jahvid Best RB Cal

What Jahvid lacks in size, he makes up for in heart. When I watch film on this kid, I see determination to make the most out of every time he touches the ball. He has very good vision, perhaps the best in this draft. He also is the most creative and elusive runner in this draft. If it wasn't for size and durability issues he would be my #1 RB in this class. Great speed, great moves, good hands.

Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech

Dwyer was high on my list prior to the 2009 season because of performances @ Georgia. He showed a size speed combination that looked Jon Stewartish. However, when looking at him moreso this season I saw a slower plodding big back that isn't very creative. If it wasn't a large hole of small/poor tacklers it wasn't going to happen for him. Then I was also disappointed in his performance at the combine, however he did perform better at his pro day. Combine that along with Matt Waldman's breakdown of his poor blocking, that has him ranked as my #4 RB from this class.

Toby Gerhart RB Stanford

Gerhart displayed enough athleticism to be a RB at the NFL, vs a FB, during the offseason activitites. Gerhart is a big back that like to punish defenders and always seems to fall forward. Gerhart does not have elite speed or burst, which could hurt him at the next level and from being a 3 down RB. However I see him at minimal a part of a RBBC and a GL guy at the next level. Intelligent that knows how to use his blocks and is a patient runner, which helps offset any lack of superior athleticism. Gerhart is also a great kid, which is a bonus to an organization.

Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee

Ben Tate RB Auburn

Joe McKnight RB USC

Charles Scott RB LSU

Arrelious Benn WR Illinois

Very highly regarded recruit that had moments at Illinois, however disappointing senior season. I was actually at the game where he got injured and was never quite the same the rest of the season because it was a high ankle sprain. However he looked good with post season workouts and has good measurables. Was he just an underachiever? Was it Juice Williams? Was it the injury? I am still high on Benn and feel that he could be a good #2 WR at the next level, perhaps a #1 with the correct development.

Demaryius Thomas Wr Georgia Tech

Thomas has great measurables and is a good athlete. Big, strong, fast, can leap, etc. But playing in an offense like Georgia Tech's really makes him a tough prospect to break down. Either way it will take him at least 2 seasons in the NFL to develop(i'm thinking Robert Meachem here). The comparisons to Calvin Johnson are unfair....Calvin is in a completely different athletic class to Thomas.

Golden Tate WR Notre Dame

Tate ran a lot faster than I thought at the combine and looked better in drills. He played in a pro style offense and made some big catches for Notre Dame. However he did drop some very catchable balls, which scares me. The other thing is will the 40 time translate to the field because from what I have seen, it doesn't.

Damian Williams WR USC

Mardy Gilyard WR Cinci

What do you guys think about these prospects?

Good breakdown on each prospect and I agree with many of your points. Just looking at the running backs I have them in this order

Best: Dynamic runner, superb vision, good hands, excellent speed really the complete package with the exception of his injury history. I've been teetering back and forth with this, but I'm tempted to put him in my first tier due to what I perceive as exceptional talent and an immense upside if he can stay healthy (at this point big if). I have read some interviews recently with annonymous scouts who have said that he passed the physical exams at the combine without any red flags which is a good sign. On a strictly talent perspective, he is on par with spiller and matthews (possibly better).

Gerhart: Won't be a true feature back but I think he will be the pounder in a committee and a definite goal line machine. If things fell right, I could see him having a few Rudy Johnson seasons in the right system. Worst case I see an Alstott like career (not because he's white), which isn't a bad thing. The kid is a hard worker and has proven he has the necessary work ethic.

Dwyer: Was #3 on my list after the college season but has slipped. I don't trust his work ethic or conditioning. I agree with Benson that he looks sluggish at times and lacks the ability to create on his own, not to mention that fact that there will be some transition coming from an unconventional offense. I've seen comparisons to JSTEW but I just don't see any resemblance besides size. Stewart is faster, more agile, and has a much better burst. Dwyer seems to build his speed and isnt sudden. I wouldn't be surpised if he put it all together and did well because he does have talent, however there are just too many questions for me.

Hardesty: Jack of all trades master of none. Could be good if given opportunity ala a ryan grant or forte or addai.

Ben tate

Mcknight: Change of pace guy not much more

Scott: Not much upside. I see backup running back material. Doesn't have any standout qualities.

Looking at it, I think I would have Best, Gerhart, Dwyer and hardesty in a tier above Tate, Scott and McKnight.

Obviously I'm on the Demaryius Thomas bandwagon. I'm not really buying the Meachem comparison. They don't resemble one another IMO. Meachem is probably a bit faster in a straight line. Thomas has a better build and moves more fluidly. I see him being one of the top 6 players in this FF class.

Hardesty is my pick for RB most likely to pull a Brandon Jackson/Matt Forte/Joseph Addai/Donald Brown and scream up the draft boards. He's a pretty complete back and if he lands on a team with a void at the RB position, he could start as a rookie and post RB2 numbers.

Obviously I'm on the Demaryius Thomas bandwagon. I'm not really buying the Meachem comparison. They don't resemble one another IMO. Meachem is probably a bit faster in a straight line. Thomas has a better build and moves more fluidly. I see him being one of the top 6 players in this FF class. Hardesty is my pick for RB most likely to pull a Brandon Jackson/Matt Forte/Joseph Addai/Donald Brown and scream up the draft boards. He's a pretty complete back and if he lands on a team with a void at the RB position, he could start as a rookie and post RB2 numbers.
The only reason for the Meachem comparison is that it will take him a couple of years to develop...like meachem has taken.I can see that happen for hardesty as well.

I think concern over Best is overblown. He is not quite as big in the lower body as Spiller, but I was comparing pictures of Best to Chris Johnson, and they seem to have a similar build. I am not saying Best will end up like Johnson, just that I believe he can do more in the NFL than be a scat-back. I think he has the best vision, and is the most agile back in this draft. Injuries are a concern, but I have seen plenty of guys comeback from hits like the one he received (take Boldin most recently). I still have him behind Spiller, but I would not be at all suprised if he becomes the best RB of this draft.

What about Anthony Dixon, Miss State? Waldman has him as underrated in his 2010 RSP, and Bloom and Cecil bring him up alot on the Audible. The knocks on him are he lacks top speed and weight-control issues. He's a big back, good feet, supposedly good FBI.

I think concern over Best is overblown. He is not quite as big in the lower body as Spiller, but I was comparing pictures of Best to Chris Johnson, and they seem to have a similar build. I am not saying Best will end up like Johnson, just that I believe he can do more in the NFL than be a scat-back. I think he has the best vision, and is the most agile back in this draft. Injuries are a concern, but I have seen plenty of guys comeback from hits like the one he received (take Boldin most recently). I still have him behind Spiller, but I would not be at all suprised if he becomes the best RB of this draft.
While I would love to agree with you b/c I like Best...it is more than the concussions. He dislocated his elbow his sophomore year, he puked from a big hit early in his career, and while watching the Minnesota game last year....I believe he tweaked a knee as well.

Obviously I'm on the Demaryius Thomas bandwagon. I'm not really buying the Meachem comparison. They don't resemble one another IMO. Meachem is probably a bit faster in a straight line. Thomas has a better build and moves more fluidly. I see him being one of the top 6 players in this FF class. Hardesty is my pick for RB most likely to pull a Brandon Jackson/Matt Forte/Joseph Addai/Donald Brown and scream up the draft boards. He's a pretty complete back and if he lands on a team with a void at the RB position, he could start as a rookie and post RB2 numbers.
Hardesty is a nice talent but i think his injury history will drop him.IIRC he has had microfracture surgery which i'm sure will scare off teams from drafting him too high.

While I would love to agree with you b/c I like Best...it is more than the concussions. He dislocated his elbow his sophomore year, he puked from a big hit early in his career, and while watching the Minnesota game last year....I believe he tweaked a knee as well.
I dislocated my elbow landing poorly playing softball two years ago. I show no ill effects and do not consider myself injury prone. My elbow feels stronger than ever. :goodposting: Puking after a big hit early in his career is even less of a concern.If people pass on this guy for guys like Dwyer, Hardesty, Tate, or Gerhart, I believe they will regret it immensely for the next 5 years. He is a stud. He reminds me of Clinton Portis coming out of college.

I dislocated my elbow landing poorly playing softball two years ago. I show no ill effects and do not consider myself injury prone. My elbow feels stronger than ever. :hey: Puking after a big hit early in his career is even less of a concern.

If people pass on this guy for guys like Dwyer, Hardesty, Tate, or Gerhart, I believe they will regret it immensely for the next 5 years. He is a stud. He reminds me of Clinton Portis coming out of college.
The concern to me, is that if that happened in college...what happens when they are bigger, stronger, faster in the NFL.

In case you didn't see the play where Best got sick.I like Best as a player....but thats quite a few injuries in a short career.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislocated my elbow landing poorly playing softball two years ago. I show no ill effects and do not consider myself injury prone. My elbow feels stronger than ever. :thumbup: Puking after a big hit early in his career is even less of a concern.

If people pass on this guy for guys like Dwyer, Hardesty, Tate, or Gerhart, I believe they will regret it immensely for the next 5 years. He is a stud. He reminds me of Clinton Portis coming out of college.
The concern to me, is that if that happened in college...what happens when they are bigger, stronger, faster in the NFL.

You know how I feel. I think the injury concerns are way overblown. You apparently think they are something we should be very concerned about. I guess only time will tell, but it is the same argument that was used against DeSean Jackson.

You know how I feel. I think the injury concerns are way overblown. You apparently think they are something we should be very concerned about. I guess only time will tell, but it is the same argument that was used against DeSean Jackson.
Very true, wasn't aware Desean was injured much in college....or is that in regards to his size.I do have Best as my #3 RB however.

benson_will_lead_the_way said:
KoolKat said:
Very true, wasn't aware Desean was injured much in college....or is that in regards to his size.I do have Best as my #3 RB however.
Size was his main criticism, and he was dinged up much of his senior year. Nothing as serious as Best's concussion, but it was enough for some people to label him an injury risk, due to the combo of his injuries and size, similar to Best. Granted, they are two different positions, but I do not think Best will have too much trouble at the next level.

benson_will_lead_the_way said:
KoolKat said:
Size was his main criticism, and he was dinged up much of his senior year. Nothing as serious as Best's concussion, but it was enough for some people to label him an injury risk, due to the combo of his injuries and size, similar to Best. Granted, they are two different positions, but I do not think Best will have too much trouble at the next level.
Yeah I remember the BMI conversations coming up on Desean.......although he isn't as bad as Todd Pinkston...haha.What do you guys think about some of these other prospects?

Users who are viewing this thread