What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

SPECTRUM SAMPLER UPDATE: 

6 Surveys are in! Goal with this sampler was to give a wide range of whiskeys to try... while keeping in mind "Obtainability".  Some of the samples were NOT enjoyed or scored well by you guys. Apologies there. Was definitely trying to show a range so I guess that's a side effect of that. 

Last Place: High West Double Rye - 15 Points (1/2/2/3/3/4)

This does not surprise me! I am not a fan but wanted to see if it was just me. It's a bright, floral rye that has a good reputation in certain circles. I very much prefer a spicy rye. It sounds like you guys didn't love it either :)

Very odd finish - star anise, licorice? Smooth, light body, not a lot of mouthfeel

licorice

Mild smell

Smells sweeter, smokey flavor. Not as strong as 1-3.

Honey smell and oak flavor with some spice. Pretty mild.

Fairly mellow. Moderate Sweetness, very smooth. Almost a hint of vanilla maybe

5th: Hibiki 12yr - Japanese Whiskey - (Discontinued, but non age stated version is Hibiki Harmony) - 18 Points (2/2/3/3/4/4)

I'm not a big scotch guy. Japanese whiskey occupies an interesting middle ground between bourbon and scotch. I don't love most Japanese whiskeys but I do really enjoy Hibiki 12yr. This was somewhat of a treat, being fairly rare and discontinued and sought after by many folks. I didn't expect it to be for everyone but was glad to see a few of you enjoyed it! Good palates with the scotch and irish whiskey references. :thumbup:  

Pretty hot, light body though. Little oaky vanilla, some spicy notes

Hot, mild vanilla note

Don’t think it is bourbon

There's an undertone, but I'm not sure how to describe it. Tastes like scotch to me. My wife says spicey flavor.

Creamy flavor and very smooth. Think Irish whiskey

Straight up: Really smooth; not much sweetness. On ice: A bit more bite (Or maybe just my tolerance LOL). --overall: tastes almost like a scotch

4th: Knob Creek 120 proof - Gaslight Liquor Barrel Pick - 19 Points (3/3/3/3/3/4)

This stuff is candy to me. LOVE KC 120 picks. Seems like in spite of the middling scores the comments were mostly favorable. This was about a 15yr aged pick.

Lots of spicy notes, some caramel and vanilla. Not as hot, almost a bit thin

dark caramel, spice

Consistently my favorite

Light smell. High alchohol content.

Almond flavor and smell - high proof

Love the flavor. Not the smoothest I've had but smoother than the cheap stuff. Has a little sweetness, maybe a hint of maple. Reminds me of Makers 46.

3rd: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - 138.8 Proof (Release 10 - 2016) 20 Points (3/3/3/3/4/4)

EC Barrel proofs are solid values... 130ish proof and about 12 years old. They used to be $40ish but have climbed to $60ish in some places. Glad to see you guys enjoyed this one too! 

Smooth, very caramel-y, vanilla notes, really nice body

smokey

Feel like I have had this before

Smells light and fruity. A real zip in the taste.

Almond and vanilla with buttery taste with nice spice to it.

Straight up: not much sweetness; has a little bite; but good rich flavor. On ice: a hint of sweet but still a little bite. Least favorite of all, but not turning it away LOL

2nd: 1792 Port Finish (Port finished ala Angels Envy) - 24 Points (2/4/4/4/5/5)

I'm not a big finished bourbon guy, but I enjoy this one. It's not as pronounced port flavor as Angels Envy or MIdwinters night dram, but it's enough to impart a bit of sweetness. This was the favorite pure bourbon by you guys. 

More subtle on the oak, some vanilla, like a silky smooth honey too

smooth, with caramel and baking spice

Not a strong smell

This one has a rye smell. Tastes like rye. I like rye, and this is my favorite numbered sampler.

Easy to drink - buttery flavor. Good to sip all day. Not much spice to it

WINNER. Straight up: REALLY smooth, nice mellow flavor. On ice: Same mellow flavor with the sweetness brought out a little bit. Favorite of all the samples.

Winner: Mystery Bottle - Evan Williams White Cask Aged Old Fashioned Base - 26 (2/4/5/5/5/5)

Again not a fair right since it's augmented with some cocktail ingredients, and aged a bit more, but was glad to see you guys enjoyed it! Well... most of ya :)

Weird banana bread flavor? Nutmeg? Just comes off as fruity. Really good mouthfeel

fruity and honey

Very flavorful but can’t say enjoy the taste

Has a smokey smell. Tastes sweeter than the numbered samplers. It's between this and number 5 as my favorite.

Very smooth and creamy. Notes of vanilla.

2nd Fav of all samples. Straight up: FULL of flavor. First sip made me :bug eyed emoji: Strong but yet smooth. Sweet overtones ("Overtones"?? Who TF am I?? How many samples have we had?!?) On Ice: Didn't change it much. Maybe just a tad sweeter. Overall--If not for the slight bite (which I don't mind), would've been my favorite. Easily 2nd favorite, with so much rich flavor.

FINAL NOTES: 

Was super fun! Really glad you helped us to do this. Very different from wine tasting (wife and I are WSET wine certified)

Super fun!

I evidently don’t clean my palate well between samples as rate different based on the order I try

Some of the first ones seemed like they had a higher alchohol content. The last three seemed smoother.

A ton of fun and the whiskies were all good. Even ones we rated lower were still good.

Enjoyed the hell out of this!! Can't wait for the next one. I'm SO in!

:banned:  

Finally got a chance last night to do the tasting with the friend of mine (our schedules were both insane so it took a while to get them to align). I'll compile our notes and get them submitted hopefully tonight. I was a little surprised that he and I had very similar rankings with only a few minor differences (ie the one I had 5th he had 6th, my 6th was his 5th).

Thank you again @[icon]for doing this.

I'm a big fan of bourbon.  In no particular order,  here are my favorites

Elmer T. Lee

E.H. Taylor Small Batch

Angel's Envy

Woodford reserve 

Eagle Rare

Elijah Craig

Basil Haydens
If you're interested, got this email from warehousewinesandspirits.com :

It’s Whiskey Wednesday!

We have a bottle so special that it will give you bragging rights for your whiskey collection.  The Whiskey that broke all boundaries and took the market by storm in little over a decade ago.  Angel’s Envy Kentucky Straight Bourbon is an American whiskey finished in port wine barrels. Yes, we are well aware that this not new ‘news’ anymore, but we do have exciting news to share.

Warehouse Wines and Spirits was able to secure a limited number of autographed bottles of Angel’s Envy by none other than Wes Henderson, co-founder and Chief Innovation Officer of the Angel’s Envy Distillery. How about that? Pretty cool right? But wait… this about to get even better. With each bottle of Angel’s Envy Kentucky Straight Bourbon you purchases we will give you for FREE:

Angel’s Envy mixing glass (value at $40.00)

Angel’s Envy tasting glass  (value at $22.00)

Angel’s Envy cocktail notebook  (value at $12.00)

Angel’s Envy Angel wing lapel pin  (value at $9.00)

All of that for just the regular price of Angel’s Envy Bourbon $49.99!

I am relatively new to bourbon as a top choice of beverage. I have been trying a few for several years, buying some on sale and keeping EW black on hand as something I enjoy and is at a great price point, and won't blow through too fast haha.I recently was gifted a nice bourbon in footballguy tee shirt exchange 1816 from Chattanooga Whiskey Co. and purchased some go to's in Larceny and Basil Hayden.  Tried Larceny as a sale purchase at a local grocery store while hosting a blues band for a weekend. Basil Hayden was referred to me by a classic old school Chicago bartender after I asked for a sugesstion. In addition I purchased a 1.75 of Woodford Reserve and splurged for a bottle of Lucky Seven a 12 year.batch 01.

From the Bucket list sampler the Lucky Seven reminded me of Elmer T. Lee. I am not sure if this is my not too developed palate or the aging and stronger flavors that develop sticking out The Elmer T Lee was the 2nd tasted so probably not too overwhelmed of a palate. My rankings seemed pretty in range with the final tally. EW barrel aged 1st, Weller 12 2nd, Michter's 10 year 3rd, Old Weller Antique 4th, Stagg Jr. 5th and Elmer T Lee 6th. 

I  recently stocked up on more Larceny and added Russel's Reserve 10 year as something new to try. Any suggestions on anything similar to Weller 12 ,Michter's 10 and Old Weller antique as they definately were a tier with similar rankings. TIA. I read many articles on Google as it was bourbon month and my feed recieved at least an article a day but I didn't know yet what the bourbon's were.

@Bluesbomber - here’s a good video from The Educated Barfly around 5 favorite bourbons that won’t break the bank.  Maybe check these out?  I have all 5 of these and all are solid and depending on where you are located (I know where you live! ;)  ) you can get all of these foe under $30.

I hope you are enjoying the 1816 - it’s pretty good.  I had not had it before when I sent it but got one for me too and it’s about half gone now and in my rotation.

https://youtu.be/2NmKAPlY7ro

Good video, I have tried all and owned 2 with the exception of the Weller. Larceny being a found on my own, enjoy and a bit of back story...seeing one of the best bass players anywhere and a great friend and boyfriend of a great friend looking at me and saying...this is smoooooooth....kind of ingratiated it to me. So that is my wheated of which I bought 2 at 20 then my bourbon Buddy informed me of the 1.75 so my fall/winter stock currently resides at 2.5 plus a bit left of first hahah. That being said I will def try and grab 1 to 6 of the Weller's and the Old Grandad bonded. Was looking at the 101. Also bought a jug of makers 46 since many commented on it. I was looking for Wellers in a delivery order and wasn't available so grabbed Russell's reserve and maker's 46 for my new trys. Basil and larceny will always be part of my cache as probably will EW whenever it gets back to 17 for a handle lol. Thanks AAA. And as an aside another of my bourbon buddies is going to try the Chattanooga if he sees it. I enjoyed it for a couple weeks, revisited once, and will take some time soon to  relish it again...maybe Illinois football Wisconsin game...I was at last years major upset and see it happening again. If my NFL success continues prolly drop a fidty on it and buy a jug.Thanks so much GB. Be well !!!

Vault opened 15 min ago, just missed the Kentucky owl grr.  Not a huge fan of weller SR but haven’t tried any other weller, picked up the full proof.  They had some buffalo trace single oak project that was a fart in the wind by the time I logged in 6 minutes after opening.  Any of you dudes score one?

Vault opened 15 min ago, just missed the Kentucky owl grr.  Not a huge fan of weller SR but haven’t tried any other weller, picked up the full proof.  They had some buffalo trace single oak project that was a fart in the wind by the time I logged in 6 minutes after opening.  Any of you dudes score one?
Yep, got me a Full Proof as well.  I assume you are being sarcastic about the Kentucky Owl?  They can't give that stuff away at the ridiculous retail the bottler set for it.  

Not much left when I loged in so I had to settle for a bottle Weller 12 year

I've been driving to my local stores searching for the BTAC release and for birthday bourbon and haven't found crap :kicksrock:

Looked for the Evan white label at my local store and they didn't have it. Buttttttt, guy who I assume is the owner was checking his stock and asked what I was looking for and said they didn't have it, but he'd order it next order. :pickle:  I picked up a fifth of Buffalo Trace to celebrate. :lol:  

Total Wine just emailed me, told me sorry that I didn't win a Collectible Whiskey this summer/early fall whatever....but that actually I won and they have a Angels Envy Cellar Collection waiting for me at my store.  $299, worth grabbing?  I read good reviews but I dunno who wrote the reviews and if they're like Mr Envys godson or some ####.  Anyone tried it?  

I've been driving to my local stores searching for the BTAC release and for birthday bourbon and haven't found crap :kicksrock:
Someone radical in here said that there may be raffles around the holidays for these type of bottles, do your locals do raffles?  Around Ft Myers I haven't found one that has outside of ABC/TW.  The rest will sell BTAC for the low low price of one of my kids.

After 6 weeks of remote learning, i'm thinking its a good deal.

Someone radical in here said that there may be raffles around the holidays for these type of bottles, do your locals do raffles?  Around Ft Myers I haven't found one that has outside of ABC/TW.  The rest will sell BTAC for the low low price of one of my kids.

After 6 weeks of remote learning, i'm thinking its a good deal.
Nothing here in marin

Total Wine just emailed me, told me sorry that I didn't win a Collectible Whiskey this summer/early fall whatever....but that actually I won and they have a Angels Envy Cellar Collection waiting for me at my store.  $299, worth grabbing?  I read good reviews but I dunno who wrote the reviews and if they're like Mr Envys godson or some ####.  Anyone tried it?  
Oof. I don't know about $300 for angels envy. That better be some amazing ####. 23yr Pappy is less than that I think 

[icon] said:
Oof. I don't know about $300 for angels envy. That better be some amazing ####. 23yr Pappy is less than that I think 
<------sucker.  Picked up the Weller FP at ABC and the Overpriced Envy at TW today along with a Hibiki Japanese Harmony.  Got a few hours left to finish work and convince myself that it was a good price before I taste them.

$500 for 15yr bourbon? I don't care if you're finishing it in in virgin wombs... that's a hard pass for me :lol:  

State of distillation is conspicuously absent. Most likely is Tennessee (Dickel) as they have been selling a LOT of 10-15 year old distllate to NDPs lately. Could be MGP, though they sold out most of their older stuff during the Smooth Ambler / High West boom a few years back. No way I'm dropping $500 on a bottle when I don't even know who actually made it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
$500 for 15yr bourbon? I don't care if you're finishing it in in virgin wombs... that's a hard pass for me :lol:  

State of distillation is conspicuously absent. Most likely is Tennessee (Dickel) as they have been selling a LOT of 10-15 year old distllate to NDPs lately. Could be MGP, though they sold out most of their older stuff during the Smooth Ambler / High West boom a few years back. No way I'm dropping $500 on a bottle when I don't even know who actually made it. 
Yeah. These "marketed" high end bourbons are annoying.  Thankfully the market largely rejects them if what I see on the local shelves is any indication.

IDK how many of you guys are in the facebook groups, but several recently banned the sell of Pappy van Winkle/Rip van Winkle.  

Too many high quality fakes.  Make sure if you buy it, you're getting it from a store or someone that you know got it from a store.  

On a more fun note, I've recently been loving Weller Full Proof.

IDK how many of you guys are in the facebook groups, but several recently banned the sell of Pappy van Winkle/Rip van Winkle.  

Too many high quality fakes.  Make sure if you buy it, you're getting it from a store or someone that you know got it from a store.  

On a more fun note, I've recently been loving Weller Full Proof.
Full Proof is really good. Just got another bottle yesterday. 

Speaking of Pappy, it hits distributors first week of November and will ship out shortly after that if you have an in at a big liquor store...

Just got a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. 

Can't believe how smooth it is for being 132 proof.
That stuff is awesome.  Which batch did you get?

ETA - I'm guessing you have C920?  What did you pay for it?  I think I saw that batch recently for $75 around here.

That stuff is awesome.  Which batch did you get?

ETA - I'm guessing you have C920?  What did you pay for it?  I think I saw that batch recently for $75 around here.
Yes, C920.  132.8 proof!  I paid $65.  There were 3 others on the shelf with a 1 per limit with some other rare(ish) stuff - Buffalo Trace, McKenna 10 year BiB.  Was quite a shock as usually this place just has the basics.

Yes, C920.  132.8 proof!  I paid $65.  There were 3 others on the shelf with a 1 per limit with some other rare(ish) stuff - Buffalo Trace, McKenna 10 year BiB.  Was quite a shock as usually this place just has the basics.
Ok, after never seeing this stuff they had the C920 batch at Total Wine - last bottle, so I grabbed it ($75).  Then, based on @Don Quixote recommendation grabbed WhistlePig 10.

But it gets better....

I happened to find a package store that is relatively close to me that I've never been in.  Not even sure how long it's been there and it's kind of tucked in to this shopping center.  I go in and it's a mess.  Floor to ceiling shelves everywhere and nothing seems to have a rhyme or reason to it.  Lots of stuff still in boxes.  I'm thinking, "this please will be a bust".  They have one shelf that is organized - just 2-3 feet per spirit.  I get to the bourbon and they have 8 of the EC barrel proof - both C920 and B520.  I've seen in the reviews that most folks like B520 of the three 2020 barrel proofs.  So, I grab a B520 and then I'm walking around and behind the register way up they have 3 bottles sitting kind of by themselves.  Two randos and lo and behold, a bottle of Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel.  Been wanting to try this for a while but could never find it.  Haven't seen it anywhere.  Both were $70.

Anybody try the Toasted Barrel?  EDIT - I thought it would have less oak but reading review now I'm not sure.

My bourbon (and rye) cup runner over at the moment.

https://imgur.com/gallery/smrRQKy

Local here told me they called me when they got some more in - $150.  I almost told them to lose my number.
I've got a small gas station that always has a bottle in stock for $100.  I got one once simply because I had never bought a bottle, but I haven't gotten one since.  Just stopped in there Sat night to pick up some beer on the way home and they still have a bottle.

So what are folks drinking tonight as we have a couple of reasons to no matter your political affiliation (calm nerves, celebrate or drown sorrows)?  Think will do some Blantons.  

Ron Swanson said:
Wow. At Safeway? When a major retailer starts charging secondary prices on a borderline secondary marketable bourbon, things are waaaay out of control. Anybody here like Rum?
When nobody else has it, you can

bryhamm said:
I've got a small gas station that always has a bottle in stock for $100.  I got one once simply because I had never bought a bottle, but I haven't gotten one since.  Just stopped in there Sat night to pick up some beer on the way home and they still have a bottle.
Stopped in to another local and he said he expects to get some in December and it'll be around 80-100.  I don't believe him on the $80 - not sure if I would pay $100 but I'd pay $80.  I'm definitely not paying $150.  I pretty much laughed at the poor lady behind the counter when she told me that. 

Redwes25 said:
So what are folks drinking tonight as we have a couple of reasons to no matter your political affiliation (calm nerves, celebrate or drown sorrows)?  Think will do a some Blantons.  
Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage right now.  Probably move to EC Barrel Proof (or maybe crack open that WhistlePig 10 Don Q forced me to buy) once I'm settled in for the night. 

Drinking way more bourbon/rye lately....used to be a beer fan but IPAs are just too heavy lately....

I try to change it up with Woodford, Basil Hayden, Bulleit - but mix in some higher end stuff like Whistle Pig

I used to be able to get Angel's Envy and Blanton's easily in NJ but cant find it anywhere now....any reason for it?  

Trying to get more into bourbon to replace some beer calories. Had some Weller and Eagle Rare pours a few months ago so got bottles of those. The non-MSRP pricing is going to be tough to manage though. Sort of crazy. 

I received an email for a lottery limited release and need to respond by tomorrow, some more expensive than others.  Any insight for a value to give it a shot?

Michter’s Straight Bourbon Limited Release 20 Yr old 114 proof $799.99

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel $49.99

Old Forester Birthday Straight Bourbon 2020 98 Proof $129.99

Eagle Rare Straight Bourbon 17 Yr old 101 Proof 2019 or 2020 $109.99

Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey Barrel Proof 125.7 Proof 2019 or 2020 Release 109.99

William Laurie Weller Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof 128 2019 or 2020 Release 109.99

Users who are viewing this thread