What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Buffalo Trace needs to be mentioned in this thread.
I actually found two bottles at retail price yesterday. Buffalo Trace is a hard find in Delaware.
If you can make the trip to PA, I found it on the shelves in a store in Wayne, PA (King of Prussia adjacent).

The above segues into my next review: Cooperstown Select Small Batch Straight Single Malt Whiskey ($59.99 at my 'honey hole' store near my parents' house).

First thoughts: A few posts back I mentioned picking this up with the intention of sharing it at the last ever home games of my son's alma mater's baseball team. I ended up not taking it, which worked out well since most of the dads I would have shared it with were no longer there; with the announcement last year of the program ending, many kids left via the transfer portal, leaving only 20 kids, which is suicidal for surviving a college baseball schedule. Nevertheless, the program soldiered on and are currently in 2nd place in the conference with one week left to play, meaning they have a good chance to make the conference playoffs. They'll probably get steamrolled, but it's still an amazing accomplishment for an undermanned team.

Anyway, I picked this bottle strictly because it's from Cooperstown and I was going to take it to a baseball double-header. I knew nothing else about it and grabbed it despite the description: Aged in new oak barrels for 2 years, then aged in used sherry casks for 6 months. After going through a scotch whisky advent calendar (see Scotch thread), I'm not the biggest fan of finished whiskies, other than double-oaked like the Sagamore that I've come to love. I've had one other American single malt from a local distiller and liked it, so I have hope.

**Another synthetic cork, this time seemingly molded right into the entire stopper itself.**

First sniff: Cough syrup that's more blackberry than cherry.

First sip: I got exactly what the label described: Praline, candied apple and burnt almond, and no Kentucky hug despite being 103 proof. The burnt almond lingers the most, giving it a mildly bitter finish.

Second sip: Carbon copy of the first, so I added a couple drops of water and let it open up for another sip, which made it a little sweeter and blunted a lot of the burnt almond finish.

Knee-jerk thoughts: This reinforces my favorable opinion of single malt, i.e., 100% barley mash bill, whiskies. Like wheaters, barley is softer on the palate than most bourbons and has a sweetness of its own, and a distiller who knows how to work in barley can produce dynamic drams. I look forward to more American single malts hitting the stores, though at the prices I've paid for the two I've had ($37 for 375ml and ~$60 for this one) and seen for some of the ones out now, I'd like to see the prices come down, because Total Wine still sells 100% barley whisky that I like at a lower cost. It's definitely better with a few drops of water, and while I won't replace it whenever I get around to finishing it, I'd recommend it to anyone anyway.

Stopped into a store today that I frequent maybe every other month - they get excellent store picks so I always like to see whats new. Was debating a new 1792 Full Proof pick vs. Old Forester Barrel Strength pick, until I noticed about 5 cases of JDSBBP sitting there with a $53 price tag on them 🤯

$12 under MSRP, yes please! Now if I could ever find the dang rye version of it...
I would have bought all 3 bottles :lol:

I do like the JDSBBP Rye better than the bourbon which is strange as I usually like bourbons more than ryes, but that one is fantastic! I know you are looking for a bottle, but have you gotten to try the rye yet?
Yes, I have a bottle of the Rye, grabbed one at a Total Wine in Houston on a work trip back in February. Should have bought more but didn't realize just how impossible it would be to find another one, and I didn't have the suitcase space to fly back with more :(

Who can get me a bottle of Rio?
Finally snagged my unicorn.

Paid $36 for a 30% chance at a bottle of Blanton's in a raffle and won, so I flipped that and a bottle of Eagle Rare for the Rio. People love overvaluing BT product... :thumbup:
Nicely done! I'm still hunting for a Rio...my local store 2 weeks ago posted on facebook a photo of two bottles of Rio with a "come and get it" type message. This store typically never posts allocated bottles, they just keep them in the back for their regular customers. So the fact that they posted them had me thinking they must have gotten a bunch of it. I saw the post and texted my buddy that works there to see if he'd hold me one until I could swing by after work, and he responded with "we only got two and they're already gone, no idea why the store owner posted that". Come to find out, the owner thought this was some new Penelope variant that was about to be a regular shelfer so he posted it as a "ooh look what new thing we have now" and had no idea it's impossible to find. So, the hunt continues...

Who can get me a bottle of Rio?
Finally snagged my unicorn.

Paid $36 for a 30% chance at a bottle of Blanton's in a raffle and won, so I flipped that and a bottle of Eagle Rare for the Rio. People love overvaluing BT product... :thumbup:
Nicely done! I'm still hunting for a Rio...my local store 2 weeks ago posted on facebook a photo of two bottles of Rio with a "come and get it" type message. This store typically never posts allocated bottles, they just keep them in the back for their regular customers. So the fact that they posted them had me thinking they must have gotten a bunch of it. I saw the post and texted my buddy that works there to see if he'd hold me one until I could swing by after work, and he responded with "we only got two and they're already gone, no idea why the store owner posted that". Come to find out, the owner thought this was some new Penelope variant that was about to be a regular shelfer so he posted it as a "ooh look what new thing we have now" and had no idea it's impossible to find. So, the hunt continues...
That sucks. Give my approach a try. Find a local bourbon group on Facebook and throw some tater bait out there... :fishing:

I've gotten away from drinking bourbon (too much sugar), but I saw this thread earlier this morning and it totally sparked something in my brain about a dream I had last night about a self-serve whiskey dispensing spigot-type-thing built into a kitchen countertop at a house I was at (or owned). So funny how a word can just trigger something like that. Maybe my brain was disappointed in me that I actually had a Jack & Coke for the first time in forever on Saturday night. :lol:

I've gotten away from drinking bourbon (too much sugar), but I saw this thread earlier this morning and it totally sparked something in my brain about a dream I had last night about a self-serve whiskey dispensing spigot-type-thing built into a kitchen countertop at a house I was at (or owned). So funny how a word can just trigger something like that. Maybe my brain was disappointed in me that I actually had a Jack & Coke for the first time in forever on Saturday night. :lol:

Sugar?? Do you mean it affects your blood sugar level?

I need to either stop buying **** or become an alcoholic, because I'm pretty sure I could never buy another bottle, and I'd still never get through everything I have...

To that point, found a guy selling a KC15 for $120 (slight premium to MSRP), so I'm gonna get it from him today. Need to have some friends over sometime to have a tasting and compare 9/12/15/18.

I need to either stop buying **** or become an alcoholic, because I'm pretty sure I could never buy another bottle, and I'd still never get through everything I have...

Welcome, friend.

I have so much open that I finally told myself I was going to stop buying until my shelves thin out. Problem for me is my shelves can support probably 250-300 bottles. 😬

Welcome, friend.

I have so much open that I finally told myself I was going to stop buying until my shelves thin out. Problem for me is my shelves can support probably 250-300 bottles. 😬
I'm trying to downsize as well, so my rule is no buying a new one until I kill two. I don't have a ton of space available, probably only room for 35-40 bottles, but I had almost 70 at my peak and they were annoying the wife.

In related news, I killed a Starlight and a Larceny BP last night so I'm going bourbon hunting on my lunch break today :yes:

Good poll questions would be:
  • Do you open every bottle you buy?
  • How many bottles do you have?
  • What percentage of your bottles are open?

• No - sometimes if I'm gifted one or I find a bottle I've wanted it will sit unopened for a while. Currently have about 12-15 unopened bottles
  • Haven't counted recently and stopped doing a spreadsheet - I think I'm somewhere around 120 counting everything - including liqueurs.
  • based on the above math I'd say around 10% of my bottles are unopened so 90% are open. At the same time I both consider that I do have a whiskey collection but I'm not a "collector" meaning, I drink it.

• Basically yes, I'll crack and try every new bottle within a couple days of purchase. The only unopened bottles I have are backups. I don't have any unicorn type bottles that I'm saving unopened for a special occasion.
  • 44 current bottles
  • 93% (41 out of 44) open

All mine are opened and usually get opened shortly after acquisition. Probably around 25 whiskey bottles in the collection, about half of those are bourbons. The rest are a mix of Ryes, Scotches, Irish, and Japanese whiskeys.

I have no idea how many bottles I have (several dozen), and I'd guess at least 2/3 are unopened. I enjoy drinking it, but I also enjoy the "chase," and it's hard trying to train for marathons and stay in decent shape if I'm drinking a glass or two of bourbon every night.

I'm trying to downsize as well, so my rule is no buying a new one until I kill two. I don't have a ton of space available, probably only room for 35-40 bottles, but I had almost 70 at my peak and they were annoying the wife.
It feels like everything that I do annoys my wife lately, so that's a nonfactor in my decisions.... :shrug:

• Do you open every bottle you buy? Yes
  • How many bottles do you have? 13; 4 Scotch, 5 bourbon (2 of which are 1.75L), 2 rye, 1 American single malt, 1 'infinity' bottle.
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? 100%
I've made a pact with myself to not have any more than what I currently have, unless Mrs. Steiner approves. Otherwise, I'd have double that amount. Easily.

In other news, my usual rotation of reviewers on youtube have all recently reviewed the new Jim Beam (black label with a 7-year age statement), and their consensus is that it's a good value; SLB even called it a Wild Turkey 101 killer. Have any of you dared to try it yet? Judging by the level of most of my bottles, it looks like it's going to be a while before I get to it, so if any of you try it, talk about it here, please and thank you.

• Yes, but there may be a short delay before I get to it.
  • 71 bottles of whiskey + a dozen or so samples from swapping. I have some vodka, rum, tequila, gin and liqueurs as well.
  • The plan is 100%, but there are a few that get delayed a little. I think I have 3 unopened bottles not counting the back ups for ones already opened
ETA...I've got 2 more bottles on the way. One that I won and another I ordered because I just can't get it around my location. This could get ugly if I start mail ordering regularly because there are several I would like to get from other areas of the country.

Last edited:
Only have a small lockable cabinet (went through some fun with the late HS years with our son). It can only hold maybe 7-8 bottles with the other stuff we keep in there.
  • Usually, depending on the next answer, I sometimes have a spare bottle of BT or Eagle Rare or something that I know I like having.
  • 7-8 at any given time.
  • 90-100% again depending on if Im holding a full/spare bottle of something.

I guess if i had the capacity to collect more, I might. But i typically just buy stuff that I want to drink....and I drink it.

Sugar?? Do you mean it affects your blood sugar level?
Yeah, I was always told that bourbon was one of the worst spirits in that regard - whereas tequila / vodka were much lower. Maybe a wives' tale?

I just drink them as I buy them. I think I have some Elijah, BT and maybe a little Basil Haydens in there.
Speaking of which, I just went to look for a bottle of Rio. I missed the last one by an hour, and the guy recommended this RD1 that was finished in Brazilian Amburana Wood as a substitute. I'd never heard of it, but got it, and it's like a cinnamon blast. Almost like a grown up fireball. Not bad, but if this is what Rio is, I'm probably not interested.

• Do you open every bottle you buy? No.
  • How many bottles do you have? 14
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? None.
Weird answers I know. I have a health issue and until I know what that is I put the brakes on drinking a couple of months ago and gave away all my opened bottles.
On hand unopened inventory is mostly Eagle Rare, BT, and Blantons,

• Do you open every bottle you buy? No.
  • How many bottles do you have? 14
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? None.
Weird answers I know. I have a health issue and until I know what that is I put the brakes on drinking a couple of months ago and gave away all my opened bottles.
On hand unopened inventory is mostly Eagle Rare, BT, and Blantons,
I hope it's all gonna be good news and that you'll be opening some bottles again soon.

If I could make the time, I'd love to spreadsheet everything that I've got...
It doesn't take much time. You can do it!!!

Or get one of the apps that allows you to simply scan the barcode on your bottles and the inventory is created for you. Whiskey Shelf and OnlyDrams are the 2 that I am somewhat familiar with.

I just drink them as I buy them. I think I have some Elijah, BT and maybe a little Basil Haydens in there.
Speaking of which, I just went to look for a bottle of Rio. I missed the last one by an hour, and the guy recommended this RD1 that was finished in Brazilian Amburana Wood as a substitute. I'd never heard of it, but got it, and it's like a cinnamon blast. Almost like a grown up fireball. Not bad, but if this is what Rio is, I'm probably not interested.
I have both, but haven't opened either. I've had the RD1 at a tasting event and remember enjoying it. I'll probably open both bottles at the same time and do a little blind.

I have both, but haven't opened either. I've had the RD1 at a tasting event and remember enjoying it. I'll probably open both bottles at the same time and do a little blind.
Whenever you do, please report back.

• Do you open every bottle you buy? - No
  • How many bottles do you have? - 51 + an infinity bottle
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? - 80%, but the unopened bottles are all backups of open bottles except one weird Rye that I'm never motivated to try.
This is only counting bourbon.

Uh oh, When Ron Swanson 'only' has 51 bottles, and your 60+ deep and still have the basement to go count(~40) ... you might have a problem. Thankfully I have a pretty understanding wife.

I know Icon's got me beat and maybe AAA. Need to get down and finish the spreadsheet. I already need to delete 2 bottles.

• Do you open every bottle you buy? - No, at least not right away
  • How many bottles do you have? - 104 (no infinities as of yet)
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? - 72% mostly as backups to currently opened bottles

• Do you open every bottle you buy? - yes, maybe not immediately, but eventually
  • How many bottles do you have? - guessing around 10
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? - i think most of them

- do you open every bottle? Eventually I will. Only “untouchable “ right now is my New Riff Ranger bottle that I filled along with my dad and former (and also now deceased) father-in-law. Purely for sentimental purposes.

- how many? 15-20 maybe.

-open? Maybe 5. Dutifully trying to kill some lesser quality stuff that was gifted by well-intentioned folks to clear some space. It’s a slow roll though since I usually only have a glass or two on the weekends. (It’s hard to work through a 1.75 of regular Four Roses and look at unopened EH Taylor….)

I'll join the fun...

• Do you open every bottle you buy? - I try to, there is nothing I'm purposefully not opening.
  • How many bottles do you have? - Close to 100. Another 50-60 other bottles of liquor and 40-50 bottles of wine.
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? - Of the bottles that aren't duplicates, probably 90-95%.

If I can find the rio do any of you want it? And is there only one version? The total wine by me says they have some for $70
They are on the second batch of Rio. I believe they changed the mash bill slightly from the first batch. I would assume what you are seeing on a store shelf would be batch 2. The $70 price tag would be a really good price for it. Sells for $90 in Ohio when it can be found.

• Do you open every bottle you buy? - yes, maybe not immediately, but eventually
  • How many bottles do you have? 62 just whiskey. About 30 are bourbon, then ~15 each Japanese and scotch
  • What percentage of your bottles are open? - i think most of them. A couple are duplicates I just loved and didn't think I'd find again (like Macallan Edition No. 3 - which is impossible to find now) so I'd say 80-85%

If I can find the rio do any of you want it? And is there only one version? The total wine by me says they have some for $70
They are on the second batch of Rio. I believe they changed the mash bill slightly from the first batch. I would assume what you are seeing on a store shelf would be batch 2. The $70 price tag would be a really good price for it. Sells for $90 in Ohio when it can be found.
They're actually on the 3rd batch (23-901, 23-902, and now 24-901). The first two batches have the traditional peony flower etched on the bottle. Batch 3 has a rainforest frond.

They're actually on the 3rd batch (23-901, 23-902, and now 24-901). The first two batches have the traditional peony flower etched on the bottle. Batch 3 has a rainforest frond.
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that. I just read that batch 2 was predominantly released in Texas. Personally, I have not tried any of them, and perhaps wasn't paying attention. So, I guess I missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread