What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Anyone tried the latest batch (A124) of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof? C923 was so good, and I'm seeing mixed reviews of A124 online. I'm sure it's still good, Elijah Craig isn't going to put out a bad batch, but it's definitely younger and lower proof than C923 was...

Anyone tried the latest batch (A124) of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof? C923 was so good, and I'm seeing mixed reviews of A124 online. I'm sure it's still good, Elijah Craig isn't going to put out a bad batch, but it's definitely younger and lower proof than C923 was...
I prefer the C923 over A124 by a fairly wide margin. A isn't bad, just not as good imo. It should be about time for B524 to be out and in the stores.

I
I have both Whiskey Shelf and OnlyDrams going. I started both of them thinking I'd compare and decide which I like better. Both have pros and cons for sure. I lean towards Only Drams, but one is not significantly better than the other. I like that the social aspect of Only Drams is free. I think that is a paid/premium feature in Whiskey Shelf. I like the infinity bottle tracker in Whiskey Shelf. Only Drams can definitely be challenging to add unique bottles and seems to be a little clunky when trying to edit info. You can't enter bottles for yourself. You have to "send it in" and have them add it to their database. I have a few without barcodes from barrel picks I can't scan. I have another bottle from Nashville Barrel Co where the bar code just won't read. When I try to send a picture in through the app to "learn" the bottle, I just get error messages. Only Drams is largely still being developed and tested and should continue to evolve in the near future. They have a Discord with forums with places for feedback, suggestions, issues, and support. If you did not know, OnlyDrams is being put out there by the SLB crew. Trenton has been fairly responsive to folks in the Discord and posts bug fixes and updates. They also raffle away a bottle each month to those who are paid supporters. They gave away a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 last month.
I have only been using OnlyDrams for about 3 months now, and haven't gotten into the social aspect of it yet. Can you give me a quick rundown of how you use that side of it? Send it in a PM maybe so we don't clog the thread up. Thx
I like to trade samples with people. Get to try a lot of things that way that are either not available around me or, perhaps after tasting a sample, can decide whether it is worth buying a bottle or not. I can follow other users and they can follow me. We can't really communicate through the app, but it allows us to see each other's collections. So, maybe it isn't quite social, but allows collection info to be shared. We then actually communicate through bourbon groups on Facebook or Discord.

I prefer the C923 over A124 by a fairly wide margin. A isn't bad, just not as good imo. It should be about time for B524 to be out and in the stores.
I agree with this. C923 is special. A124 isn't bad, but it is not at the C923 level. B524's are starting to show places. I have seen some reviews that are very favorable. Not sure anything will match the C923 again...

I've gotten away from drinking bourbon (too much sugar), but I saw this thread earlier this morning and it totally sparked something in my brain about a dream I had last night about a self-serve whiskey dispensing spigot-type-thing built into a kitchen countertop at a house I was at (or owned). So funny how a word can just trigger something like that. Maybe my brain was disappointed in me that I actually had a Jack & Coke for the first time in forever on Saturday night. :lol:

Sugar?? Do you mean it affects your blood sugar level?
Yeah, I was always told that bourbon was one of the worst spirits in that regard - whereas tequila / vodka were much lower. Maybe a wives' tale?

I'm a moron so don't ask me, but my understanding is that there's no sugar/carbs in whiskey. What the body does with it I'm not sure but I think it's always "approved" on low-carb diets so take that for what's its worth.

Turned 50 this past weekend - here was my haul:
  • McKenna 10 yr. BiB
  • Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye (Canadian)
  • Bulleit 12 year rye
  • Redbreast 21 - delicious, was my birthday night pour and it didn't disappoint. Now I REALLY want to go get the RB 27
On another note - on the way to the cabin Thursday we stopped and it seems like things aren't as crazy. Guy had a ton of allocated stuff in the back that his offered me. Including a Pappy 13 year rye - I've talked to the store owner several times over the years but I wouldn't consider myself a regular. I've bought some of his store picks and a few others but not a ton. When I told him I was looking for something special he originally offered Michters Barrel Stength rye and when I passed he called me back and sat that on the desk. I had to thank him profusely for even offering it to me but then passed. Just can't pay $1,300 for a bottle of whiskey. Wife paid $350 + shipping for the RB21. One day if/when I retire I think I'll get that RB27 - beyond that I don't plan to ever pay for current Pappy markup.

• McKenna 10 yr. BiB
  • Bulleit 12 year rye
  • Redbreast 21 - delicious, was my birthday night pour and it didn't disappoint. Now I REALLY want to go get the RB 27
On another note - on the way to the cabin Thursday we stopped and it seems like things aren't as crazy. Guy had a ton of allocated stuff in the back that his offered me. Including a Pappy 13 year rye - I've talked to the store owner several times over the years but I wouldn't consider myself a regular. I've bought some of his store picks and a few others but not a ton. When I told him I was looking for something special he originally offered Michters Barrel Stength rye and when I passed he called me back and sat that on the desk. I had to thank him profusely for even offering it to me but then passed. Just can't pay $1,300 for a bottle of whiskey. Wife paid $350 + shipping for the RB21. One day if/when I retire I think I'll get that RB27 - beyond that I don't plan to ever pay for current Pappy markup.
AAA - Happy birthday!!

I like the McK 10 BiB
Love the Alberta Premium!!
Haven't tried Bulliet 12 Rye
And oh my gosh, I am more than jealous of your pour of R21. The highest I've had is the R15, that I tend to nurse, and I absolutely love the R15.

• McKenna 10 yr. BiB
  • Bulleit 12 year rye
AAA - Happy birthday!!

I like the McK 10 BiB
Love the Alberta Premium!!
Haven't tried Bulliet 12 Rye
And oh my gosh, I am more than jealous of your pour of R21. The highest I've had is the R15, that I tend to nurse, and I absolutely love the R15.

Thanks JimiT! I was in shock when I opened the bottle from my wife. She did great and that's a decent price. I had my bottle of RB 12 CS with me so we A/B'd them. It was a somewhat close contest but we preferred the 21. It was just great.

I've been looking for that Alberta forever and never, ever see it. My friend found it online for $35 plus shipping!

- My biggest gripe: You can mark a bottle as Open, Unopened, or Empty. I don't always keep the list 100% accurate as to what's open or unopened (and % full is another option you can use for each bottle). BUT I do want to mark bottles that are empty. But empty bottles still count towards your collection total #. You can filter your collection to show Open, Unopened, or Empty, but you can't filter OUT Empty. So my collection total is never correct. Yes you can select "remove bottle from your collection" but then it's deleted completely. I like having them in there as Empty so I can go back to them, remember what variant of X it was that I had, remember what I paid for it, etc.
Got an email today from Trenton with update information. One of the items among several things was this...

• Empty status: Bottles marked as empty will no longer contribute to your collection's value, but they will still be displayed in your collection list.

Not sure if they are still included in the bottle count, but this is probably an easy update for them to include in the future if not already done.

If I could make the time, I'd love to spreadsheet everything that I've got...
It doesn't take much time. You can do it!!!

Or get one of the apps that allows you to simply scan the barcode on your bottles and the inventory is created for you. Whiskey Shelf and OnlyDrams are the 2 that I am somewhat familiar with.
Spreadsheet complete. Here's a screenshot. I've got most of them in OnlyDrams, too, but I need to do some more fiddling around in there...

103 total bottles of whiskey. Only 30 (29%) are open.

If I could make the time, I'd love to spreadsheet everything that I've got...
It doesn't take much time. You can do it!!!

Or get one of the apps that allows you to simply scan the barcode on your bottles and the inventory is created for you. Whiskey Shelf and OnlyDrams are the 2 that I am somewhat familiar with.
Spreadsheet complete. Here's a screenshot. I've got most of them in OnlyDrams, too, but I need to do some more fiddling around in there...

103 total bottles of whiskey. Only 30 (29%) are open.
There you go...nice work on the spreadsheet. Now that it is made, it is easy to update and edit since the collection will change slowly. Some good options in there. So many unopened though. I think you need to drink more. ;)

Good poll questions would be:
  • Do you open every bottle you buy?
  • How many bottles do you have?
  • What percentage of your bottles are open?

long time lurker of this topic; first time posting:

I do not open every bottle I buy - usually b/c some are purchased as gifts for others
currently have 35 bottles which is a huge increase over last 12 months; I went a little nuts purchasing last year
about 1/3% of bottles are not open (which includes 3 future gifts). Making myself work through current open bottles before cracking new ones. Finally getting close; most of my open bottles have less that 25% left.

Try to always have a back for Knob 12 and Eagle Rare (although that is getting harder these days)

Bourbon noob here and I'm looking to take my game up a notch. I'll assume this group will steer me in the right direction.
Just finishing a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.
I've been thru Makers Mark, 4 Roses Small Batch, and a Legent. I may prefer the fruitier, sweeter styles but certainly not opposed to the oaky, smokey flavor.
What should my next bottle be? What's a good bottle that should be on everyone's "must try" or "go to" list?
Looking for something $100 or less.

Bourbon noob here and I'm looking to take my game up a notch. I'll assume this group will steer me in the right direction.
I've been thru Makers Mark, 4 Roses Small Batch, and a Legent. I may prefer the fruitier, sweeter styles but certainly not opposed to the oaky, smokey flavor.
What should my next bottle be? What's a good bottle that should be on everyone's "must try" or "go to" list?

Russell's Reserve would expose you to some classic Wild Turkey flavors.

Similarly Knob Creek provides a look into Beam's offerings.

1792 is a decent cheap bottle IMO.

Eagle Rare is a wonderful whiskey, but difficult to find in some areas.

Elijah Craig barrell proofs, which they release 3 times a year, are typically very good.

Eagle Rare from Buffalo Trace (fruity), 1910 from Old Forester (combines the sweet and oaky), or if you are ready to try something with a little more proof, Rare Breed from Wild Turkey are my recommendations.

Compared to most of the folks here, I'm a noob as well, so from one to another:

1. To really up your game, you need to get really :nerd: about it, i.e., learn the mash bills of the brands you like, and learn if any particular distillery's mash bills run toward your preferred flavor palate. For example, Buffalo Trace's offerings tend to be on the sweeter side, Wild Turkey's mash bills generally are higher in rye content, etc. That will go a long way in directing you. To help you out a little, this link will take you to a list of mash bills for many distilleries. Woodford, for example, comes from the Brown-Forman Distillery, and Brown-Forman also makes Jack Daniels, Old Forester and Cooper's Craft. That site will show you that Woodford, Old Forester and Cooper's Craft have the same mash bill of 72% corn, 18% rye, 10% barley. It's safe to believe that since all three brands come from the same distiller and have the same mash bill, they should have a similar taste to each other. The obvious difference with the Woodford is the double-oak part, but my point remains for Old Forester and Cooper's Craft. The same theory should apply to all major distilleries, so that if you like one offering from a particular distillery, you shouldn't go wrong trying something else from them. The bottom line with any type of whiskey is that all that should matter is what you think is good and drink it how you like it best. In that context, 'upping your game' is about your palate more than any specific whiskey/whisky.

2. As for cost, ~$50 is a good floor for decent quality, and you may even find hidden gems if you go even lower to ~$30 range; after that, it would come down to how much you want to gamble, though speaking of Buffalo Trace, they have a poorly guarded secret: they have a couple of more readily available but lower caliber brands out there, namely Benchmark and Ancient Age. I'm not sure why those labels aren't as allocated, but the Benchmarks can be had for $20-30, and the Ancient Age for less than $20. An example of a good ~$50 brand is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. At ~$50, it's a higher aged, high proof delicious dram, and the sub $30 Wild Turkey 101, while not as refined, is a great bang for the buck in the same flavor 'family'. Also, not all $100 bourbons are created equal. Sometimes you're going to pay for rarity, especially with allocated brands. Eagle Rare is a fine bourbon, but it's not a $70 bourbon, so you're paying for its scarcity more than you are for its quality.

3. Since you're a noob, keep trying offerings from different major distillers, i.e., labels you'll be able to find anywhere, though with your spending threshold, you can also expand into more local distillers as well. @opensourcebeer mentioned a few brands from distilleries that offer multiple labels, including Beam, which is a great example. In fact, they just came out with a 7-year aged product selling for ~$30 that is getting nothing but high praise and recommended as a "beginner's bourbon". Like Wild Turkey 101, it's probably a great example of the 'basic' palate for bourbon, and a good frame of reference when trying others.

4. As you're still in the 'exploring' phase, I caution you about proof. If you start in with higher proof (this is subjective, but I think 105 and up is a fair starting point for 'high' proof) as opposed to working your way to it, there may not be any going back, at which point you will have to spend a lot just out of necessity for barrel proof/cask strength.

:hophead::bye:

Eagle Rare is a fine bourbon, but it's not a $70 bourbon, so you're paying for its scarcity more than you are for its quality.
I've paid $70 or more for many other bourbons I like less than Eagle Rare. Getting a good whiskey with a 10 year age statement at $70 isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things. That said, location is key. I pay $43 for Eagle Rare when it does come around every other month or so.

Eagle Rare is a fine bourbon, but it's not a $70 bourbon, so you're paying for its scarcity more than you are for its quality.
I've paid $70 or more for many other bourbons I like less than Eagle Rare. Getting a good whiskey with a 10 year age statement at $70 isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things. That said, location is key. I pay $43 for Eagle Rare when it does come around every other month or so.
In the current state of the whiskey market, you're right. The point I had in mind was that In places where it's available and not marked up due to scarcity, what you're able to get it for is reasonable. As for 10-year age statements, Russell's Reserve 10 sells near me in that same price range, which is part of my reasoning as well.

To me, 'scarcity' is an artificial way to hike up prices, especially since there are areas where Buffalo Trace products specifically are available in abundance.

• McKenna 10 yr. BiB
  • Bulleit 12 year rye
I love Redbreast, but haven't had the 21. I'm sure it's great, but I'll never shell out the $$$ for it.

4. As you're still in the 'exploring' phase, I caution you about proof. If you start in with higher proof (this is subjective, but I think 105 and up is a fair starting point for 'high' proof) as opposed to working your way to it, there may not be any going back, at which point you will have to spend a lot just out of necessity for barrel proof/cask strength.

Absolutely true. I escalated in proof very quickly in my bourbon journey, and regularly enjoy bottles that are 120+ in proof. 110 proof seems to be my floor. I have to take a break for a week or so before I can go back to a 100 proof or lower whiskey and really get anything from it. I hated Russell's 10 for a long time because it just tasted very plain to me - I was so acclimated to high proof stuff (for a long while Rare Breed was my "low proof" shelfer) that anything in the 90's just tasted bland to me.

Since I mentioned Rare Breed, a question I've always wondered...the bottle says barrel proof, but it's got to be cut in some way right? Because it's always at a consistent proof - every Rare Breed is found at the exact same proof point of 116.whatever. Compared to ECBP which is always a different proof every batch. Woodford batch proof is different each time. Almost every other barrel proof offering differs in proof a bit from batch to batch or barrel to barrel, but Rare Breed is 116.x every single time... 🤔 🤔

Absolutely true. I escalated in proof very quickly in my bourbon journey, and regularly enjoy bottles that are 120+ in proof. 110 proof seems to be my floor. I have to take a break for a week or so before I can go back to a 100 proof or lower whiskey and really get anything from it. I hated Russell's 10 for a long time because it just tasted very plain to me - I was so acclimated to high proof stuff (for a long while Rare Breed was my "low proof" shelfer) that anything in the 90's just tasted bland to me.

Since I mentioned Rare Breed, a question I've always wondered...the bottle says barrel proof, but it's got to be cut in some way right? Because it's always at a consistent proof - every Rare Breed is found at the exact same proof point of 116.whatever. Compared to ECBP which is always a different proof every batch. Woodford batch proof is different each time. Almost every other barrel proof offering differs in proof a bit from batch to batch or barrel to barrel, but Rare Breed is 116.x every single time... 🤔 🤔
Having started with scotch, I was fine with lower proof, and I thought of something like Wild Turkey 101 as dangerous. When I started with bourbon, the bargain basement was full of 90 proofers, so I adjusted pretty quickly, though 101 was still my threshold. Then I got on a bottled-in-bond kick (Evan Williams and Old Grand Dad), which pushed my threshold up to 100 proof and 90-95 as my 'wheelhouse'. Then came Sagamore Spirit Cask Strength (112.2) and it had no bite and no Kentucky Hug to speak of, which scared me a little. I also started seeing a lot of videos praising Rare Breed, which got me curious, and one night I found myself at my honey hole store with the lowest prices around me and Rare Breed going for ~$45, which I thought was a steal even though it was above what I was comfortable spending at the time. There's a post here many pages back where I called it the best bourbon I've had so far, and I haven't moved from that statement.

As for how WT gets consistent barrel proof, I'm going to look into that; part of my interest in whiskey is the process as well as the taste. :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread