What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Books you would like to see come to television (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Shogun was terrific. Now that it’s over I was wondering what other books people would like to have dramatized for television.

William Manchester’s The Last Lion is an epic biography of Winston Churchill, whose life was amazing from childhood on. I think it would make an incredible, multi season show along the lines of The Crown.

Leon Uris was always one of my favorite authors. Exodus was made into a movie but deserves a new, extended look, especially now. Also Trinity and Mila 18. James Michener’s Hawaii would be epic. Or the Covenant about South Africa.

What you got?

If done right, I think Judy Blume "Tales of a fourth grade nothing" would do very well on television. The only problem I could foresee is the actor who plays Fudge would 'age out' of the role rather quickly, relatively speaking.

Count me in for an adaptation of The Last Lion.

100 Years of Solitude came to mind because I’d be interested to see how well could pull off. In quick search, I see that a series on it is coming to Netflix next year. So, I guess will know soon.

Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next books may be unfilmable, but would like to see someone try.

Olga Tokarczuk’s The Books of Jacob would make for a great historical epic.

At first glance I thought the title of the thread was "b00bs you would like to see come to television"

ETA: Maybe it's time for some reading glasses...haha

Dungeon Crawler Carl. Made by the folks who are doing Fallout now. Would be fantastic.

Now that we're in the golden age of television, with modern storytelling and format, maybe it's time for an episodic Brothers Karamazov adaptation.

Stephen King's The Long Walk
Isn't it weird that nobody's made this into a movie yet? It already has a huge cult following, and you could theoretically make this on a shoestring indie budget.
In 1988, George A. Romero was approached to direct the film adaptation, but it never happened.[5] By 2007, Frank Darabont had secured the rights to the film adaptation of the novel.[6] He said that he would "get to it one day". He planned to make it low-budget, "weird, existential, and very self contained".[

It’ll never get done because of the plot (school shooting) and because I think King pulled it after school shootings became prevalent, but Stephen King’s (under his Bachman pseudonym) Rage was fantastic albeit morbid. I’d love to see a movie version come out to help force the issue - especially if they can find a good actor to play the main character.

I would love to see A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole made into anything: movie, streaming series, grade school diorama.

‘A Confederacy of Dunces’: A History of Hollywood’s ‘Cursed’ Adaptation

The first attempted adaptation came as early as 1982. Director, writer and actor Harold Ramis, then several years away from his “Ghostbusters” and “Groundhog Day” heyday, and best known for writing frat comedy “Animal House,” planned to direct a script by Buck Henry with his “Animal House” star John Belushi, then at the peak of his post-“Blues Brothers” fame, in line to play Ignatius, and Richard Pryor in talks to play Burma Jones. It’s hard to imagine an actor better suited to the role of Ignatius than Belushi, but any hopes of seeing him mastering the New Orleans accent and embodying the lead character’s gargantuan girth died along with Belushi after he overdosed as the Chateau Marmont, just days before he was due to officially sign on.

😭

n/a

can't recall the last time i watched a movie, born out of a book, that was anywhere near as good as the book. Hollywood doesn't allow for the time, pace and sometimes long stretches of inactivity that a book does for building storylines.

too much gets cut out trying to stylize and force a book in to tv/movie format.

I would love to see A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole made into anything: movie, streaming series, grade school diorama.

‘A Confederacy of Dunces’: A History of Hollywood’s ‘Cursed’ Adaptation

The first attempted adaptation came as early as 1982. Director, writer and actor Harold Ramis, then several years away from his “Ghostbusters” and “Groundhog Day” heyday, and best known for writing frat comedy “Animal House,” planned to direct a script by Buck Henry with his “Animal House” star John Belushi, then at the peak of his post-“Blues Brothers” fame, in line to play Ignatius, and Richard Pryor in talks to play Burma Jones. It’s hard to imagine an actor better suited to the role of Ignatius than Belushi, but any hopes of seeing him mastering the New Orleans accent and embodying the lead character’s gargantuan girth died along with Belushi after he overdosed as the Chateau Marmont, just days before he was due to officially sign on.

😭
I think it would be a challenge to capture on screen the absurdism of it with a cohesive narrative. I guess I would imagine like a Terry Gilliam doing it. I could see John Goodman playing ignatius but he might be too old now. Maybe the coen brothers could pull it off. The dialogue and characters are so specific and they would have a good chance at capturing that.

I would like to see City of Thieves by David Benioff. Seems rife with drama, action and comedy. I know he’s a little busy with some other stuff on tv…

can't recall the last time i watched a movie, born out of a book, that was anywhere near as good as the book.
If you try and compare movies to books you will always be disappointed. I found I enjoy the movie much more when I take it for what it is........a piece of entertainment. Found this to be the case with Grisham books long ago. I typically read all the books after watching the movies and found it interesting. Reading the book and then watching the movie made me compare the book to the movie too much so it took away from the movie experience. Once I learned to separate the two it was much better on both counts.

n/a

can't recall the last time i watched a movie, born out of a book, that was anywhere near as good as the book. Hollywood doesn't allow for the time, pace and sometimes long stretches of inactivity that a book does for building storylines.

too much gets cut out trying to stylize and force a book in to tv/movie format.

As a King reader, he has a few. I enjoyed Shawshank Redemption (notwithstanding the ending), Misery, and Stand By Me as movies better than the novels/novellas on which they are based.

There has been some talk of Amazon doing a series of the Aubrey/Maturin ( Master and Commander) novels. The movie is both terrific and not terribly faithful to the equally terrific novels. Though I wonder how audiences would react to the Austen-y comedy of manners stuff.

Stephen King's The Long Walk
Isn't it weird that nobody's made this into a movie yet? It already has a huge cult following, and you could theoretically make this on a shoestring indie budget.

I wonder if maybe studios would be reluctant because it would be viewed as in the same genre as Hunger Games, but it’s pretty much 90% dialogue rather than a glitzy action movie with a central love story element.

can't recall the last time i watched a movie, born out of a book, that was anywhere near as good as the book.
If you try and compare movies to books you will always be disappointed. I found I enjoy the movie much more when I take it for what it is........a piece of entertainment. Found this to be the case with Grisham books long ago. I typically read all the books after watching the movies and found it interesting. Reading the book and then watching the movie made me compare the book to the movie too much so it took away from the movie experience. Once I learned to separate the two it was much better on both counts.
100% agree. difficult for my brain to separate the two, unfortunately.

i've found as i get older i'm less inclined to watch fictional movies and am far more interested in documentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread