What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blown Call At End Of Lions-Cowboys Game - Ref Crew Apparently Pulled From Playoffs Per Thread (1 Viewer)

The other thing not being discussed is the Lions alerting the refs before the game. Who knows who they told and what they said? They could have said if the situation arose at the end of the game, they were going to run a tackle eligible play with an unbalanced line without any more specifics or details. The ref could have remembered that, and when he saw 70 run on the field felt that was the guy they were bringing in for the play that was outlined 4 hours earlier. That would help explain why the ref didn’t acknowledge 68 as being eligible.
Not sure why this is constantly being brought up. What was discussed before the game is irrelevant. Not sure why anyone would think this would be relevant.
It’s relevant because Campbell blew a gasket after the game telling reporters he went over the play they were going to run with the refs before the game. He reiterated that the refs knew what was coming, there was no way they could have got confused because he walked them through it pregame. That was the main point of his argument.
I guess Campbell is too trustworthy. I personally don't think it matters that Campbell discussed the play before the game. I wouldn't think the refs want to hear about what teams may or may not do during the game. I don't think that is in their purview.
What he should have done was remind the refs right BEFORE the TD that they were going to go for two with a tackle eligible play with an unbalanced line if they scored. Then after they scored, he should have pulled a ref aside and said he wanted 68 eligible and remind them that it was a legal formation.

He also should have told the referees that the tripping penalty against #89 on Dallas was incorrect and it should have been a tripping penalty on his player #97. Then, his team would have never had the opportunity to blow the end of the game three times. It's all his fault.

Can you have two OL report as eligible? I don't believe you can.
It’s possible to have as many as five OL report as eligible. An example would be an offense lined up in the wishbone with the FB, both HBs, and both WRs manned by lineman-numbered players.

The other thing not being discussed is the Lions alerting the refs before the game. Who knows who they told and what they said? They could have said if the situation arose at the end of the game, they were going to run a tackle eligible play with an unbalanced line without any more specifics or details. The ref could have remembered that, and when he saw 70 run on the field felt that was the guy they were bringing in for the play that was outlined 4 hours earlier. That would help explain why the ref didn’t acknowledge 68 as being eligible.
Not sure why this is constantly being brought up. What was discussed before the game is irrelevant. Not sure why anyone would think this would be relevant.

It’s relevant because Campbell blew a gasket after the game telling reporters he went over the play they were going to run with the refs before the game. He reiterated that the refs knew what was coming, there was no way they could have got confused because he walked them through it pregame. That was the main point of his argument.
I guess Campbell is too trustworthy. I personally don't think it matters that Campbell discussed the play before the game. I wouldn't think the refs want to hear about what teams may or may not do during the game. I don't think that is in their purview.

Some of these rules are a bit nuanced especially when it concerns tackle eligible plays and unbalanced lines. Dan wanted to make sure the refs were going to be clearly aware of rules so they would not be confused and throw a flag by mistake. I think it frustrated Dan because he is not sure what more he could have done.

Ran the same play Week 17 2021

TD to Decker, who is eligible from the LT spot

6th OL is lined up covering the RT (space between them) but not eligible - unbalanced line

we’re not asking the refs to do anything extraordinary

the player pointing to his number and swiping down is reporting he is eligible

no need to assume the guy who previously reported eligible is reporting - #70 didn’t point at his numbers and swipe down

no one is asking for anything except routine basic competence

I guess Campbell is too trustworthy. I personally don't think it matters that Campbell discussed the play before the game. I wouldn't think the refs want to hear about what teams may or may not do during the game. I don't think that is within their purview.
All Coaches talk to the Refs before every game about unordinary plays that they may run during the game. It is the Refs job to pay attention during these pregame discussions. Why else do they have these meetings before every game?

I guess Campbell is too trustworthy. I personally don't think it matters that Campbell discussed the play before the game. I wouldn't think the refs want to hear about what teams may or may not do during the game. I don't think that is within their purview.
All Coaches talk to the Refs before every game about unordinary plays that they may run during the game. It is the Refs job to pay attention during these pregame discussions. Why else do they have these meetings before every game?
I suppose I'm naive in thinking the refs should be accountable for these discussions made with coaches before the game. But to be clear, I'm not saying they didn't blow it.

The ref didn't throw an illegal formation flag though.

Imagine this happening in the Super Bowl. Like the many other calls this year that have been bad. I was at the Browns / Colts game where the refs gave the game to the Browns and many other games this year where bad referring cost teams. Something has to be done. It makes one wonder if the NFL really is rigged because of the all the betting taking place now. There seems to be ref bias that is OUT OF CONTROL.
Spread was 5.5. 80% of the bets are on the spread. If the ref is bought off then they don't let Detroit score unless you think the plan was to rely on Detroit converting 2 and then throwing a flag so they kick the extra point and then hope Dallas doesn't kick a winning FG and then fix the coin flip for Dallas so they get first possession and score a TD in OT.

Can you have two OL report as eligible? I don't believe you can.
It’s possible to have as many as five OL report as eligible. An example would be an offense lined up in the wishbone with the FB, both HBs, and both WRs manned by lineman-numbered players.
Technically you could have 6 if a team wanted 11 linemen on the field at once.
Hmm … hadn’t thought about the player receiving the snap needing to report. Makes sense, though, if the play is just going completely bananas.

What he should have done was remind the refs right BEFORE the TD that they were going to go for two with a tackle eligible play with an unbalanced line if they scored. Then after they scored, he should have pulled a ref aside and said he wanted 68 eligible and remind them that it was a legal formation.

He also should have told the referees that the tripping penalty against #89 on Dallas was incorrect and it should have been a tripping penalty on his player #97. Then, his team would have never had the opportunity to blow the end of the game three times. It's all his fault.
That was a terrible call, but Hutchinson never actually tripped anybody, so no flag should have been thrown at all

I can't stand Dallas and was rooting for the Lions to beat the Muffins. Only fair solution if the Ref made a mistake is a re-do which is what happened.

I pin this loss on Campbell. If he'd kicked the FG on the drive they converted the fake punt the last TD puts them up without a 2 pt conversion. Any coach of the year talk should be over.

I can't stand Dallas and was rooting for the Lions to beat the Muffins. Only fair solution if the Ref made a mistake is a re-do which is what happened.

I pin this loss on Campbell. If he'd kicked the FG on the drive they converted the fake punt the last TD puts them up without a 2 pt conversion. Any coach of the year talk should be over.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Rex Ryan went over much of this in detail. Some highlights…
1. Coaches meet with officials before every game and go as far as literally drawing up plays to inform the refs of certain plays.
2. Using #70 as an eligible receiver all game and switching to #68 was likely part of the plan and the type of detail the coach would highlight to a ref pregame.
3. Having multiple lineman standing around when one indicates he is eligible is common practice.
4. Typically all you need to do is get the refs attention and swipe down on your jersey number. Players do not routinely talk to the ref to state their eligibility.

Based on the video and the commentary above, it seems clear to me the ref just messed up and won’t own it. Decker checked in but the ref was calling #70 all game and didn’t notice it was #68. Simple as that. Unfortunate, but it happens. The only thing that pisses me off is the lack of accountability.

This article pulls together a nice summary of the clusterf...

"Effectively, the mistake screwed both teams. It negated Detroit’s conversion but also potentially warped how Dallas defended the play. Stop and let that sink in. An NFL officiating miscue undermined two teams simultaneously. Either Dallas was getting dinged by not knowing the correct eligible receiver or Detroit was getting dinged by getting a successful 2-point conversion taken away. And no matter what the crew ruled, one of the two teams was gaining a potential win, and the other was incurring a loss. All this in a moment with potential playoff seeding implications, no less.

So how does a situation like this happen? There are only three explanations that are plausible.

Maybe the Lions are “mistaken” and didn’t report correctly.

Maybe Allen is “mistaken” and simply said the wrong player’s number when he announced who reported.

Or maybe the confusion came out of sheer gamesmanship. In what was clearly an effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions had both Decker and Skipper approach Allen, likely with the hope that someone on the Dallas defense wasn’t playing close attention and might miss which of the two players was actually eligible. But in the effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions instead confused Allen, who could have heard Decker report as eligible but mistakenly believe it was Skipper."

What is good about it? The Lions should not be mad because the refs screwed up and stole their best opportunity win the game. He has a point that Dallas might have defended the play better, but we will never know. That is the correct take. There is absolutely reason to be upset, but there is nothing that can be done, so move on.

Not necessarily, because we have no idea of knowing how the game plays out if they had made it 7-6 in the 2nd Q.

1. Coaches meet with officials before every game and go as far as literally drawing up plays to inform the refs of certain plays.
2. Using #70 as an eligible receiver all game and switching to #68 was likely part of the plan and the type of detail the coach would highlight to a ref pregame.
3. Having multiple lineman standing around when one indicates he is eligible is common practice.
4. Typically all you need to do is get the refs attention and swipe down on your jersey number. Players do not routinely talk to the ref to state their eligibility.

Based on the video and the commentary above, it seems clear to me the ref just messed up and won’t own it. Decker checked in but the ref was calling #70 all game and didn’t notice it was #68. Simple as that. Unfortunate, but it happens. The only thing that pisses me off is the lack of accountability.

I agree 100%.

I simply ask one very simple question that to me - still makes no sense for the Lion’s.

Why are 3 potentially “eligible” linemen all heading to the ref? Why did 70 not run to the huddle?

Not necessarily, because we have no idea of knowing how the game plays out if they had made it 7-6 in the 2nd Q.

Yep, the Lions could have kicked off after the FG, Cowboys got better field position and dive down and scored making it 14-6 at half. In addition to the probability of the nearly certain 3 points, versus a 40-60 shot at 7-points, the advantage of pinning Dallas at their 4-yard line has to come into the equation.

Rex was asked this question and basically just said it wasn’t uncommon and that it is the refs job to pay attention to who is reporting. He and Bruschi were then saying this mess up may change how reporting is done in the future, and a player may have to be much more intentional about reporting and not get away with the usual swiping down on their jersey.

Do any of the board Lions fans think that the tripping call was legit and didn’t have anything to do with the outcome of the game ?

Rex was asked this question and basically just said it wasn’t uncommon and that it is the refs job to pay attention to who is reporting. He and Bruschi were then saying this mess up may change how reporting is done in the future, and a player may have to be much more intentional about reporting and not get away with the usual swiping down on their jersey.

Simply way to fix this.

You give players a poker chip with their number on it - and hand it to the ref when reporting as eligible.

Easy peasy.

If the protocol is that the official tells the defense which lineman is eligible AND the ref told the Cowboys it was #70, then I cannot see how the play should have stood. Maybe it should have been more of a re-do than a penalty, but the Lions failed on their second chance from the 2.

This crew shouldn't ref another game this year regardless.

:2cents:

This article pulls together a nice summary of the clusterf...

"Effectively, the mistake screwed both teams. It negated Detroit’s conversion but also potentially warped how Dallas defended the play. Stop and let that sink in. An NFL officiating miscue undermined two teams simultaneously. Either Dallas was getting dinged by not knowing the correct eligible receiver or Detroit was getting dinged by getting a successful 2-point conversion taken away. And no matter what the crew ruled, one of the two teams was gaining a potential win, and the other was incurring a loss. All this in a moment with potential playoff seeding implications, no less.

So how does a situation like this happen? There are only three explanations that are plausible.

Maybe the Lions are “mistaken” and didn’t report correctly.

Maybe Allen is “mistaken” and simply said the wrong player’s number when he announced who reported.

Or maybe the confusion came out of sheer gamesmanship. In what was clearly an effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions had both Decker and Skipper approach Allen, likely with the hope that someone on the Dallas defense wasn’t playing close attention and might miss which of the two players was actually eligible. But in the effort to confuse the Cowboys, the Lions instead confused Allen, who could have heard Decker report as eligible but mistakenly believe it was Skipper."
@Wildcat Here is the steel-manned version of the argument I think Ancho is sort of trying to make.

Do any of the board Lions fans think that the tripping call was legit and didn’t have anything to do with the outcome of the game ?
No - another terrible call by the incompetent crew. Should have been no call since Hutchinson's leg didnt come anywhere near the eagles player.

Not sure on impact - I think it would have been 2nd and 3 instead of 1st and 25?

Simply way to fix this.

You give players a poker chip with their number on it - and hand it to the ref when reporting as eligible.

Easy peasy.
No argument from me on that.

Simply way to fix this.

Easy peasy.
You are assuming the ref can read the number on the poker chip and then communicate that number correctly to the defense.
Another solid argument for full time officials

I don't like how the ref walked away while guys were reporting.
I don't like what they said or how the ruled.

Micah and the Boys edges do get after it at the snap and fall for some runs and other plays because they're out of position. It's happened many times and is about the only remedy some Sundays to dealing with Micah. I get why Campbell planned this, practiced it, and discussed it with the ref pregame. Makes total sense.

This is not in my understandable cleverness category in my head. QB catching a pass, direct snaps to whoever, flea flicker, punter passing tackle eligible...- all those are stored up there just fine and fair game.

Tricking the other team about who reported to the ref by having him walk almost up to the ref...that's bush league stuff. Too over the top. They have to plan their own set and who is doing what just as the O is doing in the huddle. "You should have paid attention the whole time" is not reasonable imo.

I'm not the rule history guy but I do believe the ref announces who is eligible because of these very shenanigans many years ago. Before the game, planning to mess with some historical rule change....bush league.

If it happened without the pre game conversation then they'd have a better argument imo
Reminds me of when teams would sneak a player on to the field late, and he’s uncovered. The rule was changed, requiring players to step within the hashmarks now.

Reactions: Bri

but what was actually ANNOUNCED?

Most are still putting this 100% on the refs, and assuming the play works the same if it's announced properly. And that's dead wrong

but what was actually ANNOUNCED?

Most are still putting this 100% on the refs, and assuming the play works the same if it's announced properly. And that's dead wrong
I think many are putting it on the refs like you state but don’t think many are making the assumption the play works the same. I think most assume the play would have been different, as the Cowboys were clearly covering #70, since his number was announced, and this led the #68 being open. I think most are just drawing the conclusion that the refs screwed up royally and it impacted the ending of a great game.

The NFL statement wasn't pleased with the Lions
Link?
Reported by Florio:

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL does not plan to change the procedure for players reporting as eligible. The league views the situation as an effort by the Lions to engage in deception and gamesmanship that backfired," Florio wrote.

But they also reportedly won't let this crew near the playoffs. So actions speak louder than words. Also nobody was asking to change the procedure for players reporting as eligible. Rather change to referees that can see and hear.

The NFL statement wasn't pleased with the Lions
Link?
Reported by Florio:

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL does not plan to change the procedure for players reporting as eligible. The league views the situation as an effort by the Lions to engage in deception and gamesmanship that backfired," Florio wrote.

But they also reportedly won't let this crew near the playoffs. So actions speak louder than words. Also nobody was asking to change the procedure for players reporting as eligible. Rather change to referees that can see and hear.
Interesting

This is a bad take in the context of this thread. Most of us are not that interested in relitigating whether we wanted the Cowboys or Lions to win the game. We're just mad that the officials botched the end of what was a very entertaining game.
It’s also not a unique take, as multiple people on this board had already made the point.
This thread is TLDR. And I didn’t say it was unique.

This is a bad take in the context of this thread. Most of us are not that interested in relitigating whether we wanted the Cowboys or Lions to win the game. We're just mad that the officials botched the end of what was a very entertaining game.
It’s also not a unique take, as multiple people on this board had already made the point.
This thread is TLDR. And I didn’t say it was unique.
Never said that you did.

Oh, the league wants to use Florio as a mouthpiece to cry about their bad publicity?

**** them.

Go burn some more Spygate tapes or something.

**** the NFL. That's cowardly billionaires talking because their purses are threatened and nothing more than that.

Oh, the league wants to use Florio as a mouthpiece to cry about their bad publicity?
... nobody was asking to change the procedure for players reporting as eligible. Rather change to referees that can see and hear.

The above takes are way off the mark & fail to recognize the holes in the faulty premise that the officiating crew is to blame here. Early on, due to Dan Campbell (not anybody else) placing great emphasis on his pregame conversation with the officials, several of us asked: what were the details of that conversation & why was it even necessary? Others here responded, saying the conversation was irrelevant. The cited press release above severely undermines that notion. That release, dialed on the procedure for which players report as eligible is a direct indictment on Campbell's pregame & pre-snap motives.

Below is an SI article posing what some had theorized, that the Lions reporting wasn't straightforward, thus, they are at least partially responsible for the confusion.

"The Detroit Lions seemed to have the perfect play drawn up for their final two-point conversion against the Dallas Cowboys Saturday evening. Tackle Taylor Decker would report as an eligible receiver. Tackle Dan Skipper would apparently feign reporting as an eligible receiver. Quarterback Jared Goff would then throw the ball to Decker. ...“(Skipper) reported, (Decker) didn’t, we threw it to (Decker), that was the explanation,” Campbell said." https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/31/d...two-point-trick-play-cowboys-referees-pregame

But the real Mccoy is that the reporting is announced over the stadium loudspeaker. I also bolded Campbell's post game comment suggesting that it was only after the fact he's then told who reported & who didn't. His comment along with many of the visuals posted earlier all present the notion that a player reports & the official then goes over to the defense & whispers to them who's reported. That, as in this case, the Lions didn't know the officials had it wrong until after the play had been run. That's woefully FALSE!!

Some of us asked, once it was announced over the loudspeaker & clear that the official had it wrong, why didn't someone on the Lions say or do something? The only response I read was that they were out of timeouts and not enough time on the play clock. Below is the announcement in real time. Where is the reaction from OL #68 & #70!!?? There wasn't any... look at it! There wasn't time? They hadn't even huddled, there was time enough for a defender to run off the GD field, can you see that?

Campbell's post play tirade... when he had to of known, a fuq'n act. Oh, no, he, he must of been preoccupied with the play, he didn't hear the announcement. Not him, none of the players on the field, not his OC, no asst. coach or player along the sideline, nobody. THAT'S ABSURD!!

Campbell described yesterday that all the stuff pre-snap using 3 linemen near the ref was by design and was intended to confuse the defense, with hope that the Cowboys did not hear that this time 68 was the eligible receiver and not 70 like he’d used earlier in the game.

LINK

He even describes why they did it that way . . . if only 68 had gone over and reported as eligible, Dallas would have known and the play likely would not have worked. The whole thing was to intentionally deceive the Cowboys.

People can draw their own conclusions, but it was all orchestrated.

Last edited:
Just listen to Campbell in the presser and Decker at his locker. Yes the referees blew it, but they tried to pull a fast one. They also had 2 chances to send the game to OT which they didn’t take and 2 more chances to win the game which they didn’t make.

I do find it odd (or cheap) that the NFL doesn't have full time refs who could be prepping during the week like coaches and players do instead of flying in the night before from their full time jobs.

It's not on the NFL. The NFL tried to break the Refs union and failed because they bowed to public pressure. The Refs are the ones that want to run companies and be lawyers during the week and then show up the night before to make huge cash at their side gig.

It's kind of understandable. At the lower levels every game is on Friday night and there are only 8-12 of them. You can't possibly make a living as a football official other than the NFL level. At the next step up most of the games are on Saturday. Other sports have more games and games on various nights. It's conceivable that someone could scrap by as a baseball umpire or soccer/basketball ref while gaining experience.

Users who are viewing this thread