What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bitcoins - anyone else mining? (1 Viewer)

Politician Spock said:
-fish- said:
Politician Spock said:
Sarnoff said:
I'd say "I told you so", but I'm just a hater.
Can't decide which schadenfreude I've enjoyed more, Bitcoin's implosion or ObamaCare's...
Huge difference between the two given Obamacare has the support of the president, congress and the supreme court. Bitcoin on the other hand makes it harder for the federal government to tax free market transactions. I'm not a fan of Obamacare, but it won't die. Bitcoin was doomed to die just like the federal government killed silver in 1873 and gold in 1933.
yeah, cause bitcoins were a lot like precious metals.
The government doesn't care about similarities or differences. They just want to be able to tax trade.
you really think the primary reason for the problems with bitcoin was based on the government's desire to tax the currency?

Politician Spock said:
-fish- said:
Politician Spock said:
Sarnoff said:
Can't decide which schadenfreude I've enjoyed more, Bitcoin's implosion or ObamaCare's...
Huge difference between the two given Obamacare has the support of the president, congress and the supreme court. Bitcoin on the other hand makes it harder for the federal government to tax free market transactions. I'm not a fan of Obamacare, but it won't die. Bitcoin was doomed to die just like the federal government killed silver in 1873 and gold in 1933.
The government doesn't care about similarities or differences. They just want to be able to tax trade.
you really think the primary reason for the problems with bitcoin was based on the government's desire to tax the currency?
Not at all. The government is more than happy to watch it die on its own. It keeps them from having to exert any energy to kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Politician Spock said:
-fish- said:
Politician Spock said:
Sarnoff said:
Not at all. The government is more than happy to watch it die. It keeps them from having to exert any energy to kill it.
I agree. We didn't (wont) get to that point. But that would be a problem for long term viability at least as a currency. As a baseball card, which is a better analogy of what it is, it is fine, but it would never survive really as a currency.

Last edited by a moderator:
"So you're saying that the Magic The Gathering Online Exchange wasn't a wise place to keep my money?"

:lol:
Just learned today that is where they got their name, that's great! :thumbup: Haven't been around, have some health issues to deal with.

A real good listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzwWIDIVSTo&n=1

another good one on Open Transactions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teNzIFu5L70&feature=youtu.be&t=7m58s
Hope you are feeling better.

"So you're saying that the Magic The Gathering Online Exchange wasn't a wise place to keep my money?"

Just learned today that is where they got their name, that's great! :thumbup:
Yet you've been promoting bitcoin as a great financial vehicle.

That's like promoting a medical procedure where some of the tools that make it happen are made by Fisher Price.
You are as good at analogies as fish are at bicycling.

That's like promoting a medical procedure where some of the tools that make it happen are made by Fisher Price.
One of you looks stupid in this exchange. Care to guess who?

Just learned today that is where they got their name, that's great! :thumbup: Haven't been around, have some health issues to deal with.

A real good listen:

Thanks. BP was 189/118, figured it would be best to avoid this place, looks like I was right. This community has gone down the crapper.

My link

A real good listen:

Thanks. BP was 189/118, figured it would be best to avoid this place, looks like I was right. This community has gone down the crapper.
So you're saying that you really took all the bad BitCoin news really, really hard?

One of you looks stupid in this exchange. Care to guess who?
how are you at bicycling?

A real good listen:

So you're saying that you really took all the bad BitCoin news really, really hard?
No it was my diet. What is the point of coming here, making a post and getting 7 out of 8 replies that are jabs/insults/shtick? It's like hanging out with a bunch of unmoderated angry teenagers, I have better things to do.

A real good listen:

No it was my diet. What is the point of coming here, making a post and getting 7 out of 8 replies that are jabs/insults/shtick? It's like hanging out with a bunch of unmoderated angry teenagers, I have better things to do.
:lmao: My bad. Of course you weren't having HBP from the Bitcoin nosedive, you never had the guts to follow your own avid and aggressive advice.

Go ahead, take the high road JoJo, it's what you do best and what I'll always remember you for. You deserve it.

A real good listen:

Bye, champ.

From a mostly outside observer, given your post count in this thread, that seems unlikely.

A real good listen:

Imagine if he actually owned any.

A real good listen:

Well I am glad you are feeling better. However this is the kind of response one should expect when one pushes something like this and it goes #### up so spectacularly. Didn't the card game "bank" just file for bankruptcy protection? What Magic Card does one use for that I wonder?

A real good listen:

Well I am glad you are feeling better. However this is the kind of response one should expect when one pushes something like this and it goes #### up so spectacularly. Didn't the card game "bank" just file for bankruptcy protection? What Magic Card does one use for that I wonder?
I think it's this one.

Serious question. Where can you actually use bitcoin as a way to procure goods and/or services? It seems like the people who are currently investing in it aren't really looking at it as an alternative form of currency but rather at a speculative investment opportunity. Everything I've been reading about it seems to indicate that there has been a lot of hoarding of bitcoin from the early adopters but aside from some of the illegal activities do any of these people actually use bitcoin for what its original intent was?

Serious question. Where can you actually use bitcoin as a way to procure goods and/or services? It seems like the people who are currently investing in it aren't really looking at it as an alternative form of currency but rather at a speculative investment opportunity. Everything I've been reading about it seems to indicate that there has been a lot of hoarding of bitcoin from the early adopters but aside from some of the illegal activities do any of these people actually use bitcoin for what its original intent was?
All the sheets you want from Overstock.com

You can also use them at tiger direct to buy more computers and cards so that you can mine more bitcoins.

You can also use them at tiger direct to buy more computers and cards so that you can mine more bitcoins.
Or buy Jojo a clue.

A real good listen:

I think it's this one.
If at first you don't succeed, run away and hide.
I think you are right

It's almost was good as perpetual energy

I think I understand why this list isn't like the average overstock.com purchaser (says so in the article).

And now, the list…. (from the article with my notes)

1. Sheets - After too much p0rn, you have to replace them.

2. Cell Phone Accessories - Makes it more comfortable to watch p0rn on the go.

3. A/V Accessories - Need to enhance the p0rn watched at home.

4. Appliances - Need to buy things to allow you to watch more p0rn at home.

5. Computer Accessories - Explains itself.

6. Computers - Ditto.

7. Men’s Shoes - Well, accidents do happen.

8. Hard Drives - More storage for p0rn.

9. Bedroom Furniture - Comfort for watching p0rn.

10. Keyboards & Mice - Well, they do get dirty. See sheets.

11. Men’s Watches - Damn, this one was tough, but I guess you do need to know how soon you have to get home before the live p0rn show.

So were $750MM of Bitcoins stolen from Mt Gox?
Well, maybe $750mm at the time. Now, more like $75.

Kind of reminds me of one of the biggest bank robberies of all time. One that was too big. Years back, some gang stole truckloads of new Irish bank currency notes. Billions of dollars worth of paper money. The money was so new it hadn't been released to the public yet--it was a new bill design which was about to go into circulation later that month. The gang stole more than half the money supply, so, the bank just canceled the release. Said they were going with a different design entirely and just pushed back the circulation release a few months. Pretty much just said "They stole a bunch of the blue paper money before we could get it out to the public. So we're switching to one with a green swirl on it. Use those instead." Gang that had billions of dollars in cash ended up with a warehouse full of scrap paper.

So were $750MM of Bitcoins stolen from Mt Gox?
Well, maybe $750mm at the time. Now, more like $75.

Kind of reminds me of one of the biggest bank robberies of all time. One that was too big. Years back, some gang stole truckloads of new Irish bank currency notes. Billions of dollars worth of paper money. The money was so new it hadn't been released to the public yet--it was a new bill design which was about to go into circulation later that month. The gang stole more than half the money supply, so, the bank just canceled the release. Said they were going with a different design entirely and just pushed back the circulation release a few months. Pretty much just said "They stole a bunch of the blue paper money before we could get it out to the public. So we're switching to one with a green swirl on it. Use those instead." Gang that had billions of dollars in cash ended up with a warehouse full of scrap paper.
So were $750MM of Bitcoins stolen from Mt Gox? What exactly happened?
A 1980's Dungeons & Dragons group had a guy in the bay area cast a digital spell on it.

But if these bitcoins were "lost", can't the people who "find" them just go sell them on a new exchange right away?

Users who are viewing this thread