What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bitcoin-Explain to me how to buy these things (2 Viewers)

If you do bank electronic transfer on Coinbase it is similar if not exactly the same as doing one to etrade, etc.  You can use a debit card and have immediate access to your crypto on Coinbase which is not an etrade option.
I’ve wired funds to all my brokers and they’ve always been available within the hour.

This post in response to "You'll be a millionaire this time next year!" on the XVG subreddit made me laugh..

"Unless Bitcoin tanks, lightning network fails, lightning network succeeds but leads to bank owned hubs, tether continues to print tokens and fails, bitconnect ponzi collapses, ethereum gets hacked, unfavourable regulation is passed, bitcoin energy costs get too high, bitcoin mining fees drop too much, Monero bulletproofs succeeds, optional privacy fails, exchanges require KYC/AML reporting and public keys are recorded by government giving them a list of every coin any person using an exchange has purchased, privacy coins are deemed illegal (coupled with KYC/AML exchanges), Bitcoin is found to be created by deep government like SHA256 or Tor, Satoshi sells his 5% (now 8% considering burnt tokens) stake in bitcoin, Large whales sell their stakes in bitcoin, other countries follow chinas lead in banning exchanges, central governments release their own tokens (like russia is planning to do) and require all taxes/rates be paid in that token, the internet becomes centralised due to the repeal of net neutrality laws, bitcoin or monero is found to be use din a major terrorist attack, bitcoin or Monero is found to being used more and more for drug trafficking, the 1% of fiat holders (rothschilds) decide to purchase a major portion of the crypto market using a small portion of their fiat, quantum computers developed by deep government are found to be able to match public keys to private ones... I will stop there because i have other things to do."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea that's terrible. Really bad.
Yeah it sucks but there's in option on Coinbase to set up a USD wallet that you can transfer funds into ahead of time. I do know a lot of people have been burned in the past because they bought a coin at a ATH and didn't know it'd take a week for them to receive it. 

Yeah it sucks but there's in option on Coinbase to set up a USD wallet that you can transfer funds into ahead of time. I do know a lot of people have been burned in the past because they bought a coin at a ATH and didn't know it'd take a week for them to receive it. 
this is what I did when I used coinbase.  there is also an 'instant buy' limit, but that is lower when you start out and you have to build it up.  I agree with capella, the 7 week limbo is unacceptable which is why I eventually moved away from coinbase.

ACH transfers typically take 3-5 business days to clear both bank accounts. The reason it moves faster for places like a broker or a credit card payment is because they can just back out the transaction if something goes wrong. With bitcoin you could transfer it to your wallet and then if it doesn't clear there's no recourse. It's not like you're going to buy Netflix stock them immediately transfer it to your Netflix stock wallet.

As stated above, just deposit funds into Coinbase or Gdax ahead of time, or use your credit/debit card if you want your coins available immediately. 

I'm not a Coinbase fan or anything, they have a ton of issues like customer support and accepting new customers when they know they can't handle the volume.

I don't buy bitcoin directly from my banking account.  I transfer the money into coinbase as cash first so I can act instantly on the transaction.

With the hold and clearance times, doing it any other way is asinine if you ask me and just asking to be caught holding the bag if it were to plunge.

I don't buy bitcoin directly from my banking account.  I transfer the money into coinbase as cash first so I can act instantly on the transaction.

With the hold and clearance times, doing it any other way is asinine if you ask me and just asking to be caught holding the bag if it were to plunge.
So if it were to plunge: transferring OUT from Coinbase is slower to bank account vs keeping it in USD wallet and then transferring out?

When I think about the Wall Street firms getting ready to trade Bitcoin futures, the thought "the rip on Farrow Tech is now $3 dollars" comes to mind. I laugh at the thought that these mom/pops are buying this up heading into futures thinking they're getting in ahead of Wall Street, it's almost frightening and I kinda feel bad for these people, they can't help being born stupid. 
@fantasycurse42 Please clear your inbox

I just think it's hilarious that BTC prices are vastly different across exchanges especially during a flash crash. A few min ago I could have bought BTC for $1000 less on Gemini compared to GDAX. But there is zero arbitrage opportunity due to the high fees and slow processing time. 

Tried to buy a bunch of bitcoin cash at 2800 on stupid ####ing coinbase and of course couldn't and a few hours later it's at 8500. :lmao:  
whats crazy is on coinbase it says the price is like 9000 but if you look at the chart the chart only goes up to like 3100.  and the other exchanges are trading it around 3100.  its bananas.

whats crazy is on coinbase it says the price is like 9000 but if you look at the chart the chart only goes up to like 3100.  and the other exchanges are trading it around 3100.  its bananas.
Now at 3250 on coinbase and changing, so I guess it got taken off hold?  That 8500 had some people really excited.

Lol you guys got Ver’d. I wouldn’t touch BTrash with a thousand foot pole. Guess thats the risk with it not being associated with any corporation. Any jackass can come along and say they developed AppleCash and it’s the original Apple.

SEC probably going to be swarming like flies on #### for Coinbase and Roger Ver’s trash they pulled today. Way to potentially #### a beautiful ecosystem by trying to steal the bitcoin name in a get rich quick scam. People are making headway on this being taken seriously as legitimate technological advancement and Ver’s tiny **** compensation bull #### may #### the golden goose.

can someone smarter than me explain why my coinbase account suddenly has 1k of some bitcoin fork in it that i didn't purchase or realize i had any right to? 

something is very wrong with this whole thing, glad i have regularly been taking chips off the table during this run up and putting them in gold and the kids college funds

(though when it crashes i am going to start buying heavy again probably) 

can someone smarter than me explain why my coinbase account suddenly has 1k of some bitcoin fork in it that i didn't purchase or realize i had any right to? 

something is very wrong with this whole thing, glad i have regularly been taking chips off the table during this run up and putting them in gold and the kids college funds

(though when it crashes i am going to start buying heavy again probably) 
You were always entitled to the fork. Sell it or transfer it to a wallet but most importantly: get off of coinbase. It is clear they have no idea what they are doing or they are insider trading. They are a threat to blockchain advancement and act as a single point of failure for the currencies.

You were always entitled to the fork. Sell it or transfer it to a wallet but most importantly: get off of coinbase. It is clear they have no idea what they are doing or they are insider trading. They are a threat to blockchain advancement and act as a single point of failure for the currencies.
Why not Coinbase? And, what is better?

Why not Coinbase? And, what is better?
Well prior to today I thought Coinbase was just going through growing pains. They have the easiest user interface and have been the easiest way for people to get introduced to the market. Today is frustrating to say the least. Even if it wasn’t an attempt to take a shot at BTC and make some people ludicrously wealthy in the process, it was arrogant and stupid to add a coin to their market unannounced. I doubt you’ll find a user interface as easy as theirs. Here are reviews of other exchanges: https://coincentral.com/how-to-buy-bitcoin/

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread