What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill O'Brien is an idiot. (1 Viewer)

Elite WR1 - Hopkins

Elite RB when not injured - Arian Foster

Elite defender...best D player in the NFL - JJ Watt

Young, high ceiling D stud - Clowney

It's hilarious that they can't squeeze more wins out of these players alone. Against a sick Matt Hasselbeck, behind a horrible O-line, with tons of defensive injuries, they still get shown up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Watt is fine, the Colts just decided that they were not going to let him beat them so they doubled him most of the night. What is missing is the counter to that. If Crennel knows that Watt is going to occupy two linemen or one lineman and a TE or RB, he should be finding ways to free up other guys. You don't see that. This defense should be great with all the resources they have spent on it. 1st round picks on defense: Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, Cushing, Jackson, Johnson. Second round picks: McKinney. FA Signings: Wilfork, Moore, Joseph. So either Crennel can't coach defense anymore or RicK Smith is a terrible GM. Well, I know Rick Smith is a terrible GM but I also think that Crennel's success in New England relates to Belichick's influence rather that Crennel being a great defensive mind. He has been a very average defensive coach outside of his time in NE.
My memory of it is that Crennel has run sound defenses. His crew would be good on bad teams, then the HC would get fired, and because his players loved him, he'd get the interim job, which would turn into a multi-year thing. Then he would not be good.
Statistically, other than 2 really good years in NE in 2003 and 2004, his defenses appear mediocre. Now stats don't always reflect everything but if he were running above average defenses you would think that over time that would

be reflected in the stats. The stats don't reflect that.

This guy comes off as a weak-minded coach and an even worse leader. I hadn't seen much of him before last night but it was embarrassing to watch his reactions. I get the emotion part of the game but mouthing 'omg' and 'why would you do that' kind of stuff comes off as childish. Especially when you're not exactly killing it in your job. Imagine the new guy at work mouthing insults about your co-workers when this fool hasn't done anything worth a #### in his 4 whole weeks on the job?

Not a fan.

Boy did I read last nights game wrong.

Thought in a must win game at home, against a 40 year old ill backup QB with a short week to prepare and a porous OL it was a get well game for the Texans defense and for the team in general.

I not only thought the Texans would win but in a rout and the conversation today would be regarding if Pagano, Pep or both were going to get axed.

Now. Pagano just went 2-0 without Luck and shifted the immediate pressure off of him and onto O'Brien as in my opinion the least secure head coach in the NFL.

If Hopkins didn't draw that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after that big sideline catch down field where he then slung the ball at the Colts defender, we might be having a different conversation this morning. Of course there are all sorts of plays and impacts that lead to an outcome of a game (that Hoyer pick was absolutely the death shot) but the Hopkins penalty that took away the big gain was to me the pivotal set back that led to the loss.

1ST & 10 on HOU 36
Penalty
3:25 B.Hoyer pass deep middle to D.Hopkins pushed ob at IND 43 for 21 yards (D.Lowery). PENALTY on HOU-D.Hopkins, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

I would say that penalty followed by the int easily added 100 gray hairs and a gastric ulcer for Obrien.
In the end the penalty didn't matter much; it was at the IND 43, they made it to the IND 38 before Hoyer threw the pick.
Yeah not sure that penalty really mattered in the end. It's not like Hoyer threw the pick because they were running out of time and needed a big play. He threw the pick because he panicked.

Shutout said:
It's like that old saying about QBs: when you have two, you have none.

We all know those limitations so we look at the defense and think "Without Luck and with a team you KNOW is going to try to involve Andre Johnson" you would THINK that you would have the inside edge...at home...most dominant DE in the league going against a sick 40 year old backup that didn't really practice on a short week...and you know half their game plan intentions.

But then you remember/realize: Bill O'Brien is the HC and Romeo is the DC. Call the Lions. Call the Dolphins. Discuss your support group woes.

This league has a lot of talented players. Good (and bad) coaching IS the difference at this level. Right now in the NFL, there are probably about 8 GOOD coaches and 3 great ones. Everyone else is like that feeling you get when your 85 year old grand mother wants you to explain how to set up email on an ipad...over the telephone...and she needs you to walk her through "making an email mailbox" first.
Having a franchise QB is the primary difference maker at this level. Without one, most coaches will be exposed for what they really are. When neither team has one, as in this game, O'Brien proved he is the lesser coach once again.

devouredbychaos said:
Shutout said:
Mudder said:
Wilfork is just a guy now. Running D was gawd awful.
Really expected more of an impact with Wilfork there.
Exactly why Belichick didn't resign him. I love me some Wilfork, but he's toast.
Wilfork was part of SB run. So either he was slowing during that run or BB saw decline coming before it arrived... which makes him... FROM THE FUTURE

I started HOU D in 2 leagues, I suck at this!!! A sick backup QB, looking at 1-4 and toast, at HOME, with the best Def player in the NFL, and they get punched in the mouth by Matt #######g Hasselhoff. I hate the Texans! What a joke, and Indy is so ripe for the beating, Pagano stinks, but credit to the OC for calling up a game that worked.

devouredbychaos said:
Random factoid of the day: Bill O'Brien has a house down the road from my work and shops in my store all the time during the off-season.
Nice guy?

I had high hopes for O'Brien, but I think the Texans being +12 in turnovers last year really masked what they really were as a team. This year they are -8 in turnovers and on pace to win about 3 games. They are probably about a 6 win team if their TO differential were zero.

-Fire Rick Smith

-Draft a franchise QB

-Give O'Brien at least one more year to figure out this NFL coaching thing.

He did go to Brown University so he is supposed to be intelligent.

HOU has a difficult QB situation for sure, but O'Brien could not have handled it worse. Hoyer wins a close QB battle in training camp and then gets pulled in the first game (this move was reasonable since he totally sucked in that game). But then he benches Hoyer for the second game of the season. WTF was training camp all about? Then last night Mallet gets dinged and has to miss 2 plays and loses his job - :lol:

Isn't this what the fans and media wanted? Draft Clowney with his baggage and don't draft the top rated rookie QB last year. Now theTexans have to rely on two backups. Blame BOB but it was an organization decision. Overrating players and teams go with the territory. Luck was suppose to be GOD this year.

Is it clear now? Belichick is some sort of autistic football genius. O'Brien does not recognize his head from his ###. I have no stake in any of this as I am a Packer fan, but how can you have one of the best defensive and offensive players in the league and still lose to a crap team at home who starts a 40 year old qb?!?

What a disgrace!!! Who is with me????
I agree with you about O'Brien.

But that defense is horrible. We all love JJ Watt, but giving him franchise-QB money was dumb.

Isn't this what the fans and media wanted? Draft Clowney with his baggage and don't draft the top rated rookie QB last year. Now theTexans have to rely on two backups. Blame BOB but it was an organization decision. Overrating players and teams go with the territory. Luck was suppose to be GOD this year.
It's true, they had shots at Bortles, Carr, and Bridgewater, and there's no watyOB bears full responsibility for that. At least they passed on Johnny Football.

Users who are viewing this thread