What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (1 Viewer)

ILL

Illini with ugly home win vs. Iowa. Illinois is terrrrrible defensively (read stat they're around 150th defensively in country since the new year.....they were 2nd in country up til then).

Underwood benched all the starters 2 minutes into 2nd half. Loved seeing Moretti getting run. He's the only true PG they've got on the roster. Underwood's got to get off his love of playing flawed upperclassman/grad students over higher upside youngs who he refuses to go through growing pains with. He's simply not going to keep his recruits that way with the portal. Ty Rodgers is a solid college player......he has absolutely no business as a PG.

I don't see Illinois making it out of the 1st weekend. Awful defensively and just a mess overall (late Februrary isn't the time to try and correct issues). A veteran filled team that plays like freshmen when it matters....so I don't really understand not playing Moretti/Hansberry/DGL more. Nico Moretti should be starting at PG.

Not sure what Izzo was doing with lineups all game. This team looks lost on offense and so does the coaching staff.

Diebler has this team rolling.

Not sure what Izzo was doing with lineups all game. This team looks lost on offense and so does the coaching staff.

Team does not look good at all. Looks like it is time for Grandpa Tom to retire and move into an advisory role. Hard to believe MSU is getting good players yet is only a 500 team in the BIG over the last 4 seasons.

Sparty is so painful to watch. They go on runs where they look completely dominant on both ends of the floor, and then go utterly disjointed with turnovers, terrible shot selection, defensive lapses, etc. Walker was a no-show yesterday which amplified the problems. Sissoko needs to be buried on the bench permanently... Booker is the future and is much better even today. Hope they can keep their tourney streak alive, but they'll have an early exit. Such a shame with this roster.

Team does not look good at all. Looks like it is time for Grandpa Tom to retire and move into an advisory role. Hard to believe MSU is getting good players yet is only a 500 team in the BIG over the last 4 seasons.
For the first time I can recall, even the diehard Tom supporters are starting to whisper this.
The game (and portal) may have passed him by.

Sparty is so painful to watch. They go on runs where they look completely dominant on both ends of the floor, and then go utterly disjointed with turnovers, terrible shot selection, defensive lapses, etc. Walker was a no-show yesterday which amplified the problems. Sissoko needs to be buried on the bench permanently... Booker is the future and is much better even today. Hope they can keep their tourney streak alive, but they'll have an early exit. Such a shame with this roster.
Booker needs most all of Mady/Cooper and Kohler minutes from here on out. It’s insane he was sitting the bench for over half of the second half. He has AP written all over him if they just work on his body development and offensive moves. Same thing with Carr. I really have to wonder what the coaching staff is doing when it comes to player development. Yes they are 5 stars, but there’s a big jump between high school and college ball. Carr is the same as he’s been from day 1. Zero outside jumper development. The talents there, JFC, let’s go.

That’s another thing. WTF offense are they running. There is zero inside game except for Hall, who’s really come on. I’m convinced there is no one on staff working with the bigs. Zero inside outside game on a consistent basis.

Tom’s the GOAT. But he’s also so GD stubborn. It’s frustrating as hell to watch.

Last edited:
Illini go for 105 in W vs. Minnesota. They also give up 97 points. It's very weird that coming into the year they were perceived be a solid defensive team with hopefully enough offense to win.

They don't have a single W over a currently ranked team. Last 3 games of regular season are @Wisc, vs. Purdue, @iowa.

KenPom seems to really like them. I think they're ripe for an early exit with that defense

ILL

Wisconsin seems to be heading in wrong direction but easily the Illini's best win of the season to date at Wisconsin

The Wisconsin kid Domask was huge for the Illini with 31

Can Purdue get by the first 2 rounds?

Could be the first time in a long time both Michigan "last" and MSU "8th" in BIG will not be in the tourney. Michigan won`t even get a NIT bid.

Can Purdue get by the first 2 rounds?

Could be the first time in a long time both Michigan "last" and MSU "8th" in BIG will not be in the tourney. Michigan won`t even get a NIT bid.
Yes. While they’ve had 3 gut wrenching outs by high seeds 3 of the last 6 years, the other 3 years were 2 sweet 16s and an elite 8. I think Smith’s elevation of play and the addition of Jones is what will get them back to the second weekend at minimum.

Big Ten Champs!!!

This is great and all, but can we please just get to the tournament. It's really had to give this a lot of attention when it all seems for naught when there is a hiccup in the tournament.

I'm curious how others would feel if their team dominated the regular season only to come up short in March. It's a hell of a conundrum.

Huge game tonight...sucks I don't have Peacock. :(

Big Ten Champs!!!

This is great and all, but can we please just get to the tournament. It's really had to give this a lot of attention when it all seems for naught when there is a hiccup in the tournament.

I'm curious how others would feel if their team dominated the regular season only to come up short in March. It's a hell of a conundrum.

Huge game tonight...sucks I don't have Peacock. :(
It's a single-elimination tournament with a bunch of good teams in it. It's a hard thing to win (& certainly harder than the CFP is for the best programs). Personally, I'd rather have my team be really good for four months and take my chances in a lottery. But then, I put way more emphasis on the regular season than a lot of people do if we're talking about a season's best team(s). I hate that the discussion these days around March Madness starts in freaking September instead of the 35 games these teams will play before then. Same thing happens in football.

Enjoy this run of greatness, no matter what weird things happen in the post-season.

Didn’t see the game but looking at highlights and the box score.

This team will be very hard to beat if they shoot anywhere near 50% from three and have less than 10 TOs.

Almost unbeatable.

Looks like their D held up again only giving up less than 80 to IL at home. Might be the most impressive stat from the night.

Smith slit the throat in front of the home crowd with that final 3.

I think Purdue at least makes it to the sweet 16. Their guards are infinitely better than last year and Gillis emergence as a 3 point threat is deadly.
Good game by the Illini. Domask was tough tonight. Salukis!!!

The Boilers need Jones the get back on track for the tournament to have a chance at Sweet 16. He's really cooled down the past few games. Big 3 late today though. Gillis is having another great year. He tied the all time 3 record at Mackey last year with 9. Dude can heat it up. Needs to keep it going.

Good win by Purdue. They're just the better ...and better coached team

Watching Coleman Hawkins trying to "guard" Edey in the post was a joke. Edey would literally back him down to the hoop before even getting the ball. Dain Dainja should have played a lot more minutes (not even sure if he got minutes in 2nd half. He did a much better job being physical with Edey in 1st half (not allowing him to back him down to the hoop before even getting the entry pass & being physical when Edey got the ball). Underwood can get talent....he's just horrible making adjustments in game.

Only way IMO Purdue doesn't go deep in tourney is Edey foul trouble/injury or opposition on fire from deep (and can get Edey out of the paint on D).

I keep hearing some analysts say Illinois can make Final 4. I don't see it at all. Theyve come up short in every marquee game this season (haven't beat a current top 25 team). I think you saw tonight if you slow the pace into a more half court game......you neutralize Terrance Shannon Jr.

Good win by Purdue. They're just the better ...and better coached team

Watching Coleman Hawkins trying to "guard" Edey in the post was a joke. Edey would literally back him down to the hoop before even getting the ball. Dain Dainja should have played a lot more minutes (not even sure if he got minutes in 2nd half. He did a much better job being physical with Edey in 1st half (not allowing him to back him down to the hoop before even getting the entry pass & being physical when Edey got the ball). Underwood can get talent....he's just horrible making adjustments in game.

Only way IMO Purdue doesn't go deep in tourney is Edey foul trouble/injury or opposition on fire from deep (and can get Edey out of the paint on D).

I keep hearing some analysts say Illinois can make Final 4. I don't see it at all. Theyve come up short in every marquee game this season (haven't beat a current top 25 team). I think you saw tonight if you slow the pace into a more half court game......you neutralize Terrance Shannon Jr.
Painter made an interesting point during the post game that they limited Shannon from getting his by limiting turnovers on their side and not allowing them to get too many fastbreak points.

I was gonna bump it yesterday, but Maryland was getting annihilated by Wisconsin and I suddenly lacked the effort.

Agree that these are fun matchups today and I could see IU/Nebraska getting especially weird.

Purdue's favored by 7.5 and the other three games are either 4 or 4.5. Those are basically one/two-bad-turnover spreads.

I was gonna bump it yesterday, but Maryland was getting annihilated by Wisconsin and I suddenly lacked the effort.

Agree that these are fun matchups today and I could see IU/Nebraska getting especially weird.

Purdue's favored by 7.5 and the other three games are either 4 or 4.5. Those are basically one/two-bad-turnover spreads.
Saw a glimpse of the old, good MSU yesterday,, but I'm afraid they go back to the their past ways of the last month and lose by 10+. Still think they make it in the dance for a 26th time as a 10 seed. Their NET sits at 24 today. No team has been left out of the NCAA with a NET lower than 32.

OTOH, tOSU looks really good and I could see them winning this tourney.

Last edited:
Do the Buckeyes have to win the B10 Tournament to make The Big Dance? I’m thinking they do and I’m not thinking that is likely. It’s a shame they did not part ways with Holtman sooner.

Do the Buckeyes have to win the B10 Tournament to make The Big Dance? I’m thinking they do and I’m not thinking that is likely. It’s a shame they did not part ways with Holtman sooner.
I've heard speculation that they have to win at least two games in the tournament to be considered for MM. They're looking strong enough to do it. Agree on Holtman, it's been a completely different team once he left.

I've heard speculation that they have to win at least two games in the tournament to be considered for MM. They're looking strong enough to do it. Agree on Holtman, it's been a completely different team once he left.
NET 55. 3-6 vs Q1, 3-5 vs. Q2 SOS 36, NET just below Northwestern at NET 52 (4-6 vs. Q1, 5-3 vs. Q2, SOS 35). They need to win today vs. ILL for sure to secure another Quad 1 win. They win they're in. I'm thinking they are on the bubble right now.

Saw a glimpse of the old, good MSU yesterday,, but I'm afraid they go back to the their past ways of the last month and lose by 10+. Still think they make it in the dance for a 26th time as a 10 seed. Their NET sits at 24 today. No team has been left out of the NCAA with a NET lower than 32.

OTOH, tOSU looks really good and I could see them winning this tourney.
I'll say the complete opposite...game comes down to the final two possessions. MSU definitely covers.

Good luck!

If the Howard news is legit, Warde has made two Men's basketball head coach hires. 1. Kevin Ollie at UCONN, 2. Howard at Michigan. Both former players, both were fired in disgrace (though Ollie won a national title).

Stand up guy. True leader. He will be missed
/s

Eff it...Sparta 71 PU 68
GOGREEN
Couldn't make the shots when they needed them most. They will lose to most teams with a quality big man.
Yea. That and less-then quality B1G refs. That 1st half was the worst-reffed game I've ever watched.
Still think they are in the Big Dance as a 10 seed, but no better.
Well, they better pray teams like NC State, Ohio State/Indiana/NEB, and some others don't win their conference tourneys. Their resume isn't great. I think they are good enough to be in, but their resume isn't light years about others in their tier.

Eff it...Sparta 71 PU 68
GOGREEN
Couldn't make the shots when they needed them most. They will lose to most teams with a quality big man.
Yea. That and less-then quality B1G refs. That 1st half was the worst-reffed game I've ever watched.
It went both ways. Missed calls on both sides.

Great gritty game and you guys fought like hell. Best of luck in the tourney!

Eff it...Sparta 71 PU 68
GOGREEN
Well, they better pray teams like NC State, Ohio State/Indiana/NEB, and some others don't win their conference tourneys. Their resume isn't great. I think they are good enough to be in, but their resume isn't light years about others in their tier.
Absolutely agree 100%. They earned their margin of error, which is nil at this point.

If I'm being completely honest, I don't think they deserve to be in myself, horrible season, and a lot of this is on Izzo and the coaching staff not developing their big men, especially a 5-star in Booker. Coen Carr, a star in the making, was invisible for almost the entire season except for a couple highlight dunks. He still has zero offensive game and cant hit free throws. MSU's guards have zero rapport with their big men. Very much a disappointing season.

Just going on the stats the tourney committee supposedly looks at, and from what I've read, they would be one of the last teams in. Lots will happen between now and Sunday that doesn't bode well for them.

Eff it...Sparta 71 PU 68
GOGREEN
It went both ways. Missed calls on both sides.

Great gritty game and you guys fought like hell. Best of luck in the tourney!
Agreed.

Wasn’t able to catch the OSU / Illini till the last seconds. Reading a Buckeye fan board, they were complaining that when the Buckeyes got a ten point lead, the calls started going against them. Is that fandom speaking or was it bad if you’re a Buckeye fan? Someone mentioned the Purdue/ MSU game was not well called. Was this game bad also?

Wasn’t able to catch the OSU / Illini till the last seconds. Reading a Buckeye fan board, they were complaining that when the Buckeyes got a ten point lead, the calls started going against them. Is that fandom speaking or was it bad if you’re a Buckeye fan? Someone mentioned the Purdue/ MSU game was not well called. Was this game bad also?
It was a total joke.

It was a total joke.
Any commentary on it?

ILL

Illini survive. Ohio State playing well at the right time. IMO They're definitely a tourney team based how they're playing now. Happy to see Dain playing well the last several games. The local beats have been brutal on him. He should have been their #1 big vs. Purdue as he's the only one able to put any physical resistance on Edey whatsover. Not sure WTF Underwood was doing not playing him more in that game.

On to the next....

Users who are viewing this thread