What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (2 Viewers)

'proninja said:
Hybrids are ridiculous. Get a mountain bike or a road bike. If you're going to trail ride, you're going to like it and you're going to find pretty quickly that a hybrid is not made for hard trail riding. Have the Mrs. get a hybrid if that's what she wants, but no man belongs anywhere near a hybrid.
Meh. They're perfect for someone who just wants a bike. They're also a lot cheaper, much better for on road use than a MTB, and you don't have to drop the cash for a drop bar bike, which generally costs a lot more. I'll throw my bike snobbery up against anybody's here, but I have zero problem with a flat bar road bike. The most important part of any bike is whether or not the person actually rides the damn thing anyway.
Fair enough. It's not a snobbery thing with me; I just saw my brother in law go through it and he was pissed at himself for not just getting a mtb right off the bat.Actually the "no man belongs..." line could be perceived as snobbery, but I was kidding.
I'm not really a man, so I wasn't offended. ;)

'proninja said:
'proninja said:
Hybrids are ridiculous. Get a mountain bike or a road bike. If you're going to trail ride, you're going to like it and you're going to find pretty quickly that a hybrid is not made for hard trail riding. Have the Mrs. get a hybrid if that's what she wants, but no man belongs anywhere near a hybrid.
Meh. They're perfect for someone who just wants a bike. They're also a lot cheaper, much better for on road use than a MTB, and you don't have to drop the cash for a drop bar bike, which generally costs a lot more. I'll throw my bike snobbery up against anybody's here, but I have zero problem with a flat bar road bike. The most important part of any bike is whether or not the person actually rides the damn thing anyway.
Fair enough. It's not a snobbery thing with me; I just saw my brother in law go through it and he was pissed at himself for not just getting a mtb right off the bat.Actually the "no man belongs..." line could be perceived as snobbery, but I was kidding.
I'm building myself up a "hybrid" bike currently. Belt drive, flat bar, hydraulic disc brakes, internally geared di2 hub. It's going to be cool. :)
Do you have to pedal?

'Apple Jack said:
South Florida...not so much

'General Malaise said:
What do you recommend for winter gear? Keep in mind my budget is very small, but I hate not riding. I was really getting in to it and I dropped 10 pounds in a month. That weight is almost all back now and it's only been a week. :bag: :porked: You can PM me if that's easier, but I'd be interested to get your thoughts on the bare minimum I'll need to keep riding through the winter. Thanks GB.
Warm clothes.Thanks, I'm here all week :thumbup: Proninja posted in one of these bike threads three different pics of the same hybrid during three different seasons. Only difference is tires & rims I think. Dress in layers to keep warm, get a good set of gloves and water proof outer shell to keep everything dry and your gold Jerry, GOLD!

Last edited by a moderator:
GM, do you have clip-in pedals with biking shoes, or are you riding in sneakers? I find that fingers and toes are all I really care about when it's cold.
Well, I was just riding in sneakers and regular clothes. I don't dress all fancy like Lance Armstrong and really don't quite understand the men who do. I'm not looking to break the sound barrier and I'm pretty sure those guys aren't winning any money at the sport dressing like that, so it really confuses me as to why the casual rider would dress in skin tight outfits. And what's with the shaved legs?I don't think I have clip-in pedals, but there is some sort of spike on each one that put a hole in one of my sneakers. Not sure what that thing is.I'm woefully unprepared for rain/winter, but my boss has challenged me to ride for the next month through the slop. If I do, I get a small bonus. :thumbup:

GM, do you have clip-in pedals with biking shoes, or are you riding in sneakers? I find that fingers and toes are all I really care about when it's cold.
Well, I was just riding in sneakers and regular clothes. I don't dress all fancy like Lance Armstrong and really don't quite understand the men who do. I'm not looking to break the sound barrier and I'm pretty sure those guys aren't winning any money at the sport dressing like that, so it really confuses me as to why the casual rider would dress in skin tight outfits. And what's with the shaved legs?I don't think I have clip-in pedals, but there is some sort of spike on each one that put a hole in one of my sneakers. Not sure what that thing is.I'm woefully unprepared for rain/winter, but my boss has challenged me to ride for the next month through the slop. If I do, I get a small bonus. :thumbup:
It's all about a good jacket and pants. You can pick up a set for under $100 I bet. Coupled with full finger gloves, and you're good to around freezing temps.

It's all about a good jacket and pants. You can pick up a set for under $100 I bet. Coupled with full finger gloves, and you're good to around freezing temps.
Thanks. Is there a link to amazon to the gear in question? Really don't want to spend a fortune on this. Appreciate the help!

'proninja said:
People who do not race do this because they think it makes them cool. It doesn't. At all. Cyclists, as a general rule, have really weird ideas of what is cool.
It does make for a good shorthand for guys who take it way too seriously. Call them the shaved-legs crowd - it comes with a whole batch of assumptions like calling someone a hipster.For clothes, the only thing I have that's bike-specific is a padded panytliner thingy. http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Liner-Short-Black/dp/B004ELBQUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350695195&sr=8-1&keywords=pearl+izumi+liner Otherwise my butt gets angry.

I do have clip shoes, but that's because of mountain biking downhills. My feet bounced off the pedals a few times, which means no control over the bike. With the clips, my feet stay on the pedals. For a commuting bike, I wouldn't get them.

If you're in tennis shoes, either thicker socks or a sandwich bag over the toes should keep you warm enough.

Thought of this thread as I had my first somewhat cold commute of the year (20 degrees).

Last year I splurged and went smart wool long underwear. Also got a smart wool balaclava. Huge difference in warmth, IMO. I really only need a regular pair of pants over the bottoms. Up top, I wear a sweater and a fairly lightweight REI primaloft jacket.

Ski googles are a good idea when it gets really frigid.

Thought of this thread as I had my first somewhat cold commute of the year (20 degrees).Last year I splurged and went smart wool long underwear. Also got a smart wool balaclava. Huge difference in warmth, IMO. I really only need a regular pair of pants over the bottoms. Up top, I wear a sweater and a fairly lightweight REI primaloft jacket.Ski googles are a good idea when it gets really frigid.
I've been wearing ski pants/parka the last couple of weeks. It does the job, but it's like 40 pounds of gear. Need to invest in some lightweight stuff. Pro, thanks for the link. I'll get some of those asap. Love the price tag.

A pro tip for bicycle commuter guys --> great price available now the Nashbar Commuter Garment Pannier ($60).

I've used this for 2 years now and it has been The Answer for me after years of struggling with different ways to bike to work with in a business casual office. I hate riding with a backpack. Most days I wear a dress shirt and pants, sometimes with a sport jacket, and this gets everything there with no wrinkles. Rain or wet snow is not a problem. I bring shoes because I like to ride with spd clip-in pedals. I've used this to carry a full suit, dress shirt and shoes, with a laptop and my lunch. There's a gym in my building where I can shower. Its heavy when loaded, so you will need a strong rear rack (no problem for me riding a Globe Haul2).

Looking for advice on a starter road bike. I don’t want to start a new thread. Since I haven't ridden a bike in over 25 years and just need something to train with and get me through a sprint tri this summer I don't want to invest too much. I may decide I want to trail ride later and don't want to have $1000's tied up in an expensive road bike. I'd like to stay at $500 or less and am looking at bikes on bikesdirect.com. All those bikes look the same. I have been told to get one with at least 24 speeds due to the hills here. Any suggestions?

'proninja said:
Looking for advice on a starter road bike. I don’t want to start a new thread. Since I haven't ridden a bike in over 25 years and just need something to train with and get me through a sprint tri this summer I don't want to invest too much. I may decide I want to trail ride later and don't want to have $1000's tied up in an expensive road bike. I'd like to stay at $500 or less and am looking at bikes on bikesdirect.com. All those bikes look the same. I have been told to get one with at least 24 speeds due to the hills here. Any suggestions?
At $500 or so they're all going to be about the same. Make sure you get one that is the appropriate size. You looking at drop bar bikes or flat bar?
I don't know. Whats best. I'm not trying to set any speed records, so I guess whetever would be most comfortable.

Great time of the year to check out the local bike shops for last years models that have been considerably discounted. Those will typically come with a service plan as well.

'proninja said:
Also, total speeds doesn't matter much. Pretty much the entire high end maxes out at 22 speeds (2 front, 11 back)What matters is gear ratio. Smallest chainring in front compared to biggest chainring in back will give you your easiest climbing gear. Do you plan on doing any other road riding aside from training for and racing the sprint tri?
If I can get away on weekends I'd like to do a few rides, probably no more than 2 or 3 hours each. My goal is to do 2 sprint tri's this year after that I have no idea. I suppose I could do a hybrid. I mean tri's are only 7 miles I think, but I'm not sure I would ever go off road.

'proninja said:
Also, total speeds doesn't matter much. Pretty much the entire high end maxes out at 22 speeds (2 front, 11 back)What matters is gear ratio. Smallest chainring in front compared to biggest chainring in back will give you your easiest climbing gear. Do you plan on doing any other road riding aside from training for and racing the sprint tri?
If I can get away on weekends I'd like to do a few rides, probably no more than 2 or 3 hours each. My goal is to do 2 sprint tri's this year after that I have no idea. I suppose I could do a hybrid. I mean tri's are only 7 miles I think, but I'm not sure I would ever go off road.
Typical sprint tri is 12.5 mile bike. If you don't expect to go offroad I'd highly recommend a road bike. Huge difference over a hybrid. And if you really like riding on the road you're not looking at another purchase. IMHO, of course.

I taught my son, now 5 1/2 to ride without training wheels at 3 years, 11 months. Pretty cool - he's still got kindergarten classmates who are on training wheels. I just got him a new 18" bike for Christmas, another Avigo (Japanese for "cheap assed") special, but as I found with the first one the build is the key as basic street and dirt riding for a youngster don't require heavy duty parts, and the Toys R Us build on the first one sucked and required about three or four fixes before I got it right. The last bike I ordered at Christmas I put entirely together myself and it's worked well from the start, aside from one pedal which I didn't tighten enough. His next bike's going to be a better one.

Anyway, because he's now riding I decided to start riding again after 20 years. I used to deliver newspapers in high school on a bike, rode to school on it, etc. I loved it, and I don't know why I stopped.

To break back in, I wanted something inexpensive and sturdy, and so I went with a used 26" Schwinn Sidewinder (a WalMart special :bag: ) at my LBS. I liked it because the frame is steel and heavy as hell, and I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. I've commuted in it, pounding around city streets, train stations, down stairs, over curbs etc. The LBS fixed it up but it's still got the original parts. It's worked fine for me and I've probably put 1000 miles on it over 9 months, not a huge amount, I know.

I'm going to keep following this thread as I'll probably want to upgrade at some point. Good info in here, guys.

Pulled my Cannondale V 2000 off the garage wall about a month ago.

Putting about 30 miles a week on her(back and forth to the gym in the AM)

Heading out this weekend for some more serious riding.

Forgot how much I loved to ride.

Pulled my Cannondale V 2000 off the garage wall about a month ago.

Putting about 30 miles a week on her(back and forth to the gym in the AM)

Heading out this weekend for some more serious riding.

Forgot how much I loved to ride.
:goodposting:

It's a great physical activity. Just fun to do. And the money for a bike amortized across the hours you spend on it make the activity cheap as hell. It's perfect for young kids, and I can even teach some bike maintenance to my son.

What's the diff between these bikes? Preference either way? Looking to upgrade the current Walmart $89 special I'm riding. 4 miles one way to work, might go out for longer rides on weekends but just looking for something comfortable, affordable and will last.

Schwinn GTX-1

Motobecane Elite

proninja said:
What's the diff between these bikes? Preference either way? Looking to upgrade the current Walmart $89 special I'm riding. 4 miles one way to work, might go out for longer rides on weekends but just looking for something comfortable, affordable and will last.

Schwinn GTX-1

Motobecane Elite
It's not much of an upgrade. I'd keep what you've got if it still works.
Noted, thanks. Bike is a tank but needs new tires, brakes, rims. All that is probably gonna cost more than the bike so I was looking to upgrade without having to do the work ;)

I just found this 2010 Trek Soho for 350 bucks. It was a steal (I think). I have a nice road bike, but was looking for a commuter to go 7-20 miles roundtrip depending on my job for the day/week (I work on two different campuses). If you are diligent, you can certainly find a good deal. If you can find the bike, or bikes you want, set up an RSS feed so you can hop on it as soon as it comes up.

What do you want besides just a bike that can go a mile to the beach? Want an upright, comfortable bike? Have to carry it up any stairs? Need gears or is it flat enough terrain for a single speed? Do you want to do as little maintenance as possible on the thing?

Your local bike shop should have something simple and in your price range if you don't want to go through the craigslist hassle though.

I just found this 2010 Trek Soho for 350 bucks. It was a steal (I think). I have a nice road bike, but was looking for a commuter to go 7-20 miles roundtrip depending on my job for the day/week (I work on two different campuses). If you are diligent, you can certainly find a good deal. If you can find the bike, or bikes you want, set up an RSS feed so you can hop on it as soon as it comes up.

What do you want besides just a bike that can go a mile to the beach? Want an upright, comfortable bike? Have to carry it up any stairs? Need gears or is it flat enough terrain for a single speed? Do you want to do as little maintenance as possible on the thing?

Your local bike shop should have something simple and in your price range if you don't want to go through the craigslist hassle though.
wow - that's exactly what I'm looking for moops. Just a cursory review, but it looks like you indeed did get a steal.

Could look for a 3 or 5 or 8 speed internally geared hub bike.

Have no idea what size you would need (or what size this bike is), but something like this Novara would be a nice bike.

Novara is an REI brand bike (no idea why they show that photo in the ad, there is no derailleur on the bike).

Im thinking about selling my uncomfortable mountain bike and getting a nice comfy 3-speed cruiser. Any thoughts on sites like bikesdirect.com or beachbiekoutlet.com?

Hey guys,

I bought a Trek mountain bike back around 2004 but barely used it. Now looking to do a little more biking since my kids finally both have their training wheels off but would like to look into more of a road bike. Mostly for riding on streets and our paved local bike park with 1 mile loop. Stretch goal would be a distance of 65 miles maybe once a year or so for this...

https://www.facebook.com/IPtourdeshore

I hear good things about the local "Velofest" each year for getting a good deal on bikes that are used or new but previous year models...

http://www.thevelodrome.com/flea-market/

But I have no idea what I'm looking for or what the right size would be. Is there any way to determine the right bike size yourself? Feel bad about going to a local bike shop to ask about help with sizing knowing I'm not going to get a bike from them.

Any suggestions for a bike type for mostly casual / fitness rides that would also be decent for an occasional 65 mile trip?

Thanks!

But I have no idea what I'm looking for or what the right size would be. Is there any way to determine the right bike size yourself? Feel bad about going to a local bike shop to ask about help with sizing knowing I'm not going to get a bike from them.
http://www.wrenchscience.com/

Their fit system is free and very useful. It will give you the parameters you need for a basic road bike fit.

Im thinking about selling my uncomfortable mountain bike and getting a nice comfy 3-speed cruiser. Any thoughts on sites like bikesdirect.com or beachbiekoutlet.com?
I think they have decent bikes, but you need to know what you want based on the spec sheet alone, and will have to assemble the bike, which takes some knowledge and tools (a bike shop can do it for you).

I ended up getting a Gravity 29 Point 2 as shown here:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point2.htm

Interestingly, despite that page saying it comes with Alivio shifters, it came with Deore shifters, which was a pleasant surprise.

I've had it about 2 weeks now and it's great. I don't have any complaints about bikesdirect. I got some advice online and from some friends on setting things up, and I couldn't be happier with the bike.
I've got 150 miles of single-track usage on this bike now, and I'm still very happy with it. Nothing has gone wrong, and I don't regret the purchase even a bit.Next summer, I'm thinking about hitting Copper Harbor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whM70LxBbAE

The bike I couldn't get (the Motobecane that was $600, then back in stock at $400 in the wrong size) eventually did come back in 19" and 21". One of the guys I ride with bought it. I'm still happy with mine, though I would have obviously preferred to get the $400 deal for a 1% better bike than I paid $550 for.
I went to Copper Harbor last weekend, and it blew my mind. That was one of the best trips of any kind I've ever taken. I can see why it's supposed to be one of the best seven mountain biking locations in the world. My bike did great, though this is the one time I really would have liked to have full suspension. I did fine with the hardtail, though.
Okay, I'm up to 700 miles on this bike, including a second trip up to the UP including Copper Harbor. My bike is starting to show some of the signs of having been assembled less expensively than a major brand. My headset is bad and I had to replace the bottom bracket. Still, I'm happy with this purchase. It's been less than $200 total to fix these issues, and they took some time to develop. I've certainly crashed the thing a number of times and with some of the crap I put it through on downhills, I'm actually impressed that on this much has gone wrong. It's been a great 700 miles so far.

What's the experts take on buying the protection plans or extended warranties or whatever they're called? I was in a bike shop today and asked what all I get in the purchase price of the bike. I tested a lower end $500 Trek hybrid. The shop said I get one year of maintenance/tune-ups/stuff from them and then said I can buy a $50 protection from Trek that would be good for 3 years to replace anything other than rubber parts (tires, tubes, etc). Is that needed?

I don't expect to be a super heavy user of whatever I buy. I'm not going to use it for every day commuting and I don't see myself going on a lot of really long rides. Maybe that will change over time, but my initial thought is to get something for errands around town and going on rides with my kids and their bikes.

Also, can I expect there to be sales at local shops at some point? I assume there are bike seasons and maybe Labor Day Weekend could have sales?

What's the experts take on buying the protection plans or extended warranties or whatever they're called? I was in a bike shop today and asked what all I get in the purchase price of the bike. I tested a lower end $500 Trek hybrid. The shop said I get one year of maintenance/tune-ups/stuff from them and then said I can buy a $50 protection from Trek that would be good for 3 years to replace anything other than rubber parts (tires, tubes, etc). Is that needed?

I don't expect to be a super heavy user of whatever I buy. I'm not going to use it for every day commuting and I don't see myself going on a lot of really long rides. Maybe that will change over time, but my initial thought is to get something for errands around town and going on rides with my kids and their bikes.

Also, can I expect there to be sales at local shops at some point? I assume there are bike seasons and maybe Labor Day Weekend could have sales?
I've never had any of those things and tune my bike myself. It's pretty easy.

You're in NoVa, right? The trail network around here is phenomenal.

Yes I'm in Nova. I looked at Spokes in Fairfax yesterday. Do you have a shop suggestion? I'm really close to the Bike Shop on Centreville so I will check them out soon. I've read that A1 and the Bike Lane are good.

I don't know any to be better than others. I haven't bought a bike new since college and tune them myself so I don't get to shops very frequently.

How did you teach yourself how to tune your own bike? What tools do you use?
A friend showed me. I'm sure there are youtube videos. Depending on your components, you shouldn't need more than just allen wrench and a screwdriver to do the brakes and derailleurs.

How did you teach yourself how to tune your own bike? What tools do you use?
Youtube is great for this, and many bike shops offer bike tuning classes, often for free.

For tools, it's pretty basic. Just stuff you already have in your toolbox for the most part. I picked up an Alien multitool that I ride with, and this has anything I don't already have in my home toolbox (allen wrenches mainly).

Users who are viewing this thread