What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best guess on what percentage of the population chooses non-conforming pronouns (1 Viewer)

Self explanatory.  Go.

• <0.1%

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • 0.1%<1.0%

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • 1.0%<5%

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • 5%<10%

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • >10%

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
I voted higher than I should because there's a not-insignificant percentage of our population who just like to mess with the system.  They do it for the lolz or whatever.

"non conforming" = "choosing a pronoun which is not the same as gender assigned at birth"? 

voted = 1% to 5% (higher based on lulz alone) 

I voted higher than I should because there's a not-insignificant percentage of our population who just like to mess with the system.  They do it for the lolz or whatever.
On my phone, when my credit union has to verify something, I’m addressed by the system as “His Mightiness.”

I've read that it has become trendy among teens to use pronouns.  Like dying your hair an abnormal color, it makes them feel unique. Parents are finding it difficult to avoid offending their kids' friends.  Even parents who are accommodating, and trying to say the right things, are then lectured by their kids when they forget that so and so's pronouns changed last week.  I figure some FBGs would have first hand experience.

Did we ever get an answer to this pressing question?

I’m going to reverse Price is Right this and go with 11%. 

No vote. I don't care what the answer is because it doesn't matter. At all. People are free to choose how they wish to be addressed or what they want to be called. It really doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks and our opinions on the subject carry zero weight.

"non conforming" = "choosing a pronoun which is not the same as gender assigned at birth"? 

voted = 1% to 5% (higher based on lulz alone) 
I assumed a transgender using traditional pronouns of their gender identity would be conforming.

Ruffrodys05 said:
No vote. I don't care what the answer is because it doesn't matter. At all. People are free to choose how they wish to be addressed or what they want to be called. It really doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks and our opinions on the subject carry zero weight.
My 2nd cousin just announced he’s non-binary or whatever it is.  Now we have to refer to him as “they” and “them”.  Oh and he also changed his name.  I told my brother I’d do my best to get they they and them thing right, but it’s not easy.

What strange times we live in.

My 2nd cousin just announced he’s non-binary or whatever it is.  Now we have to refer to him as “they” and “them”.  Oh and he also changed his name.  I told my brother I’d do my best to get they they and them thing right, but it’s not easy.

It is nice that your are trying to support them on their journey.  

matuski said:
Only needing explanation if you seek to confound it beyond a reasonable place.

It needs an explanation because it makes no sense. I don't know what exactly the OP is referring to. 

Last edited by a moderator:

It's nice to try and make them comfortable by using the pronouns they want, that shows you are a caring person.

I haven't been faced with this with my kids or their friends.  But if it happened, I'd hope that strong counseling and mental healthcare options would all be explored.  

This isn't a biological or physical change in the evolution of homo sapiens as a species - this is a social change that is causing a lot of people to try to fit into identities - thus it's a mental condition, where a person (in the vast majority of cases) doesn't mentally accept the reality of what they physically are.

And because of that, I hope all people in this situation get the mental healthcare that they need, instead of just get blanket encouragement that it's totally fine and ok.  

IMO, the worst-case scenario is that a person identifying as non-binary gets nothing but praise and ridicule.  Praise from the people who think it's wonderful to be whoever you want to be, and ridicule from people that hate this with a passion. When the reality is, they might need help.

And before anyone jumps in and gets offended, the world is absolutely full of people that get mental help.  It's ok.  There shouldn't be a stigma around it.  So a non-binary person, a trans person, these people need mental help.  I'm sure many of them get it, but anyone in that situation needs it.

IMO, the worst-case scenario is that a person identifying as non-binary gets nothing but praise and ridicule.  Praise from the people who think it's wonderful to be whoever you want to be, and ridicule from people that hate this with a passion. When the reality is, they might need help.
Suicide rates are much higher with these youths. That’s the worst-case scenario.

It's nice to try and make them comfortable by using the pronouns they want, that shows you are a caring person.

I haven't been faced with this with my kids or their friends.  But if it happened, I'd hope that strong counseling and mental healthcare options would all be explored.  

This isn't a biological or physical change in the evolution of homo sapiens as a species - this is a social change that is causing a lot of people to try to fit into identities - thus it's a mental condition, where a person (in the vast majority of cases) doesn't mentally accept the reality of what they physically are.

And because of that, I hope all people in this situation get the mental healthcare that they need, instead of just get blanket encouragement that it's totally fine and ok.  

And before anyone jumps in and gets offended, the world is absolutely full of people that get mental help.  It's ok.  There shouldn't be a stigma around it.  So a non-binary person, a trans person, these people need mental help.  I'm sure many of them get it, but anyone in that situation needs it.
Might? 

I can't remember our man chet ever really posting in the political forum. Now he starts a thread a week about trans people. What gives man?

I just took my company's online Harassment Training course.  It explicitely states that not calling someone by their preferred pronoun, even if it's because of a religious belief, is an act of harassment that will be the subject of disciplinary action, up to and including termination.  Interesting for sure.

I just took my company's online Harassment Training course.  It explicitely states that not calling someone by their preferred pronoun, even if it's because of a religious belief, is an act of harassment that will be the subject of disciplinary action, up to and including termination.  Interesting for sure.
Seems perfectly reasonable.  If I asked everyone at work to refer to me as Rich, yet some folks repeatedly called me Richard, Ricky, or ****, wouldn't that be harassment?  Can't see why this should be any different.

Seems perfectly reasonable.  If I asked everyone at work to refer to me as Rich, yet some folks repeatedly called me Richard, Ricky, or ****, wouldn't that be harassment?  Can't see why this should be any different.
Pronouns are a bit different.  It really does require a conscious effort to say “they” instead of “him”.  

Pronouns are a bit different.  It really does require a conscious effort to say “they” instead of “him”.  
It really doesn't after a bit of practice.  More important, there's a difference between slipping up here and there and outright refusing.  The latter is certainly harassment.

It really doesn't after a bit of practice.  More important, there's a difference between slipping up here and there and outright refusing.  The latter is certainly harassment.

No practice necessary because it's not going to happen.  It's absurd, ridiculous, unnecessary, foolish and 100% opposite of proper grammar.

All that this is is nothing more than a bunch of whiners on a power trip.  Stick to proper grammar and you can't go wrong.

No practice necessary because it's not going to happen.  It's absurd, ridiculous, unnecessary, foolish and 100% opposite of proper grammar.

All that this is is nothing more than a bunch of whiners on a power trip.  Stick to proper grammar and you can't go wrong.
I agree those who purposefully call people the wrong pronoun are whiners on a power trip.

I’m not so sure about that. Like I said, personally I have no problem addressing someone by whatever name or pronoun they desire. But to say that when others don’t agree to that it’s harassment, that implies that it’s an accepted norm and someone is consciously deviating from that with malicious intent.  Who gets to decide what is acceptable, and what requires a change in language that has been commonplace throughout history?  If I decide I want to be called Fluffy the Cat, is it harassment if someone refuses to address me like that?  I don’t know, it almost seems like harassment to require people to do something they think is ridiculous and outside the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you didn't hammer me for the word "wrong." It proves you know what the right thing is.

I just wanted to let you know you had me confused for someone else.  There is no need to try and divine a message or ulterior motive or anything else from my post other than what it was.  

Sometimes "you had me confused for someone else" really means "you had me confused for someone else".  :shrug:

I don’t know, it almost seems like harassment to require people to do something they think is ridiculous and outside the norm.
We are trying to live in a society here.

Be nice to people regardless of whether you think their choice of names or pronouns or person they have sex with or clothes they wear are ridiculous.

It was outside the norm to have outwardly gay people in the office. Or folks in inter-racial marriages. Or whatever. If someone asks you nicely to stop doing a simple thing that offends them, and you continue to do it...well, that's just a #### move.

I refuse to use they or the other made up ones. If Charlie wants to be charlene and go by she, I will do that. I refer to Lia Thomas by her desired name and dont even remember her previous name. But if she wanted to be called they and changed her name to Metta World Peace, i would still call her lia thomas. 

Be nice to people regardless of whether you think their choice of names or pronouns or person they have sex with or clothes they wear are ridiculous.

It was outside the norm to have outwardly gay people in the office. Or folks in inter-racial marriages. Or whatever. If someone asks you nicely to stop doing a simple thing that offends them, and you continue to do it...well, that's just a #### move.

I draw the line when people ask me to ignore proper grammar and English.  :shrug:

What's a non conforming pronoun?

They, them?

I honestly don't know

I raised that point earlier noting I didn't understand what the thread is about but got a nonsense answer that just repeated what is stated in the thread title.

It’s this simple.

Almost. 

I find the use of “they” to describe a non-binary person confusing. I have no alternative to offer.  But it’s confusing. When I read it used, I’m not always quite sure what I’m reading. 
It’s a learning process. I’m not sure what you are referring to but I’m sure people mess this up all the time. If it it’s on purpose because someone doesn’t want to do it or whatever that’s pretty lame.

I don’t mind norms changing.  I don’t even mind language changing.  I just question whether the pronoun change issue was properly vetted and agreed upon as a collective.  Seems like a strange, minority position appeared out of nowhere and suddenly became “harassment” if you didn’t agree with it.  What if American Muslims decide they want to be addressed with an “Allahu Akbar” greeting.  How is that any different?  Religion is protected in the same way that sexual identity is.

Users who are viewing this thread