What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best "Cheap" Beer? (1 Viewer)

I know articles like this get ripped and I usually defend them but this one. Sierra Nevada and Burial on a "cheap beer" list against Budweiser?

Innertube isn't cheap but it is a very good simple lager. I guess it's probably cheaper than the Burial IPAs, if that's what they mean.

That's what I mean. Sierra Nevada is far from a "cheap" beer. And Burial is a world class brewery. Nothing cheap about them.

If it's not sold in the 30 pack it's not cheap lol
Yea this is pretty accurate. Also Yuengling is garbage. Not particularly cheap and not good.

High Life is a good answer. Hamms. PBR
There are some people here in Michigan who make a big deal about Yuengling because it's not sold here. Like it's some kind of liquid gold. It's strange.
Same in AZ. I give those people weird looks.

Yea this is pretty accurate. Also Yuengling is garbage. Not particularly cheap and not good.

There are some people here in Michigan who make a big deal about Yuengling because it's not sold here. Like it's some kind of liquid gold. It's strange.

I remember having my first one at Cedar Point in Sandusky (rather unfortunate name), Ohio and wondering aloud "Why would anybody recommend THIS"? I think it was Yuengling or Bud and those were the options.

Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold is the same price as Bud Light/Coors Light etc... in my parts, I don't know if that holds true in the States but it would probably get my vote.

Does anyone drink Blue Light in the States (outside of Buffalo)? I'd probably go with it or Miller Lite of the big "North American" macros. Both are more in the traditional crispy pilsner mold which I like, than the Buds and Coors of the world which just feel like lighter versions of heavy lagers IMO.

Amstel Light is solid too but not widely available up here.

Labatt's Blues are very popular in Michigan and I've had many on my visits there. Not a bad macro beer at all.

Tell you one I used to enjoy when I had to work up in BC was Molson Canadian Lager. Went out to dinner with a few of the boys from Abbotsford one night and when they got their frosty cold bottles of Molson, they'd pour a little table salt in there and drink up. That's a solid little beer.

In college a case of Busch pounders was $10- i remember me and a buddy- for 10 bucks each we'd get 12 pounders and half a large pizza each..

as far as worst beer i ever had- Carlings Black Label- horrible

It's a scarcity thing. People think the same about Lone Star. Then you finally have one and realize everyone in Texas is in on the joke.

Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold is the same price as Bud Light/Coors Light etc... in my parts, I don't know if that holds true in the States but it would probably get my vote.

Does anyone drink Blue Light in the States (outside of Buffalo)? I'd probably go with it or Miller Lite of the big "North American" macros. Both are more in the traditional crispy pilsner mold which I like, than the Buds and Coors of the world which just feel like lighter versions of heavy lagers IMO.

Amstel Light is solid too but not widely available up here.

Labatt's Blues are very popular in Michigan and I've had many on my visits there. Not a bad macro beer at all.

Tell you one I used to enjoy when I had to work up in BC was Molson Canadian Lager. Went out to dinner with a few of the boys from Abbotsford one night and when they got their frosty cold bottles of Molson, they'd pour a little table salt in there and drink up. That's a solid little beer.
In my younger days, every single weekend either Labatt Blue or Molson Canadian would be on sale and would be right inside the front door waiting for whoever walked in. At the time it was 24 for 29.99 (our alcohol taxes have always been steep). Always only one of them. Wouldn't surprise me if it was co-ordinated, the two companies combined to own "The Beer Store" even though they were in theory fierce competitors. If you got lucky you might get their mixer packs (12 blue/12 blue light or 12 Canadian/12 Coors Light) but not often.

So I would drink one or the other every weekend depending on which was on sale.

Trader Joe’s Boatswain brews, especially the hazy IPA are fairly inexpensive and decent. Simpler times is the best cheap beer. Stockyard Oatmeal Stout is my go to winter beer.

Yuengling Black and Tan is solid enough. Light isn’t good.

I lost a bet and had to shotgun a Hamm's Genuine Draft in college. I've met few beers I wouldnt drink, but it was genuinely horrible. I'm pretty sure there were tears involved and perhaps a near-vomit experience. And I don't think I was even drunk when I started. It was so bad I think in retrospect it may have gone bad. A mass-produced beer shouldn't be able to be THAT awful.

It does NOT get my vote.

Neighbor of mine, that’s his daily drinker

Mine is Labatt Blue

In college we were at the local supermarket and they had a pallet of beer that was $0.97 a six pack. It was white can with BEER in black letters. The store manager was trying to offload the entire pallet and said he would make a deal with us. We bought a six pack to go try it out and it was so bad it wasn't even worth spending $0.97 a six pack on it.

Now that is cheap beer.

In college we would go to the "Dock Sales" at the local distributor, where they'd unload anything that was about to expire for pennies on the dollar. MIght be the big ole Fosters cans for $.25 a piece, a 12-pack of Keystone Ice for $2.99, or cases of the really good stuff like King Cobra malt liquor for $5.

I'm guessing I wouldn't even be able to get any of those down these days.

I lost a bet and had to shotgun a Hamm's Genuine Draft in college. I've met few beers I wouldnt drink, but it was genuinely horrible. I'm pretty sure there were tears involved and perhaps a near-vomit experience. And I don't think I was even drunk when I started. It was so bad I think in retrospect it may have gone bad. A mass-produced beer shouldn't be able to be THAT awful.

It does NOT get my vote.

Neighbor of mine, that’s his daily drinker

Mine is Labatt Blue
If you're out of Claws, of course.

Weinhards private reserve for me.....it was discontinued a few years ago and hop Valley Brewing brought it back.....now if they could bring back Blue boar pale ale

Especially when it's had as the good lord intended, in Canada at full ABV, not the watered down nonsense served in the states.

It's a scarcity thing. People think the same about Lone Star. Then you finally have one and realize everyone in Texas is in on the joke.
People in the East used to do the same with Coors before it made it's way across the Mississippi. It was a **** beer then and it's a **** beer now but people would go Smoky & the Bandit to get a couple of cases to a party on the East coast.

Just because you can't get it doesn't make it a good beer. Yuengling definitely falls into that category. Not sure I would drink that dreck at their brewery.

Maybe unpopular but I'll say the best cheap beer is an ice cold can of Budweiser. Been awhile since I've had one but if I had to pick from the Miller/Coors/Busch/Pabst/etc level it's going to be cold Budweiser 100 times out of 100. A distant last on the list would be Coors Light. Vile swill.

Similar to Spotted Cow. Except everyone in Wisconsin has convinced themsleves that it is actually good

Friend of mine owns a convenience store.. he says Natty Lights are his #1 seller, by far.

We were on a Royal Carribbean cruise and my BIL ordered a Miller Lite.. girl asks "Where in the Midwest are you from"? lol

Back in the early 90's our local watering hole had Rolling Rock .. I remember drinking those with a lime thinking I was "Cool"..

Those are my "cheap beer" stories

I can't recall what I thought of Yuengling's B&T but everything else they make is awful. It is cheap here in TN.

My current go-to cheap beer is High Life. 6-pack bottles is $5.99 in the local gas station's beer cave. If I'm feeling kinda cheap but want a step up from that: Land Shark.

As for the Kona discussion, I liked all their beers but I'd put Longboard as a far distant second behind Big Wave. Kona's good but not "cheap" enough for this thread.

I'd rank America's big three mass market watered down drecks this way: coors light>miller lite>>>bud light.

Last edited:
Confused as to people trashing Yuengling, if they've changed the beer in the ~15 years since I was last on the east coast then correct me but it seemed a clear step up from most of what I would call "cheap beer" in terms of quality and if it was imported to the UK would happily buy it moderately regularly over most other US imports

My current go-to cheap beer is High Life. 6-pack bottles is $5.99 in the local gas station's beer cave. If I'm feeling kinda cheap but want a step up from that: Land Shark.

As for the Kona discussion, I liked all their beers but I'd put Longboard as a far distant second behind Big Wave. Kona's good but not "cheap" enough for this thread.
I've seen Kona's for not much more than that 5.99

As for the Kona discussion, I liked all their beers but I'd put Longboard as a far distant second behind Big Wave. Kona's good but not "cheap" enough for this thread
Completely agree. The have a Kona Koko Brown that is hard to find that is really good to. Totally different from the Big Wave but really nice.

I've seen Kona's for not much more than that 5.99
I think it's 14.99 a twelve pack in Albertsons around here. Sometimes you can get an 18 pack for 17.99 on sale

I know articles like this get ripped and I usually defend them but this one. Sierra Nevada and Burial on a "cheap beer" list against Budweiser?

Innertube isn't cheap but it is a very good simple lager. I guess it's probably cheaper than the Burial IPAs, if that's what they mean.

That's what I mean. Sierra Nevada is far from a "cheap" beer. And Burial is a world class brewery. Nothing cheap about them.
Agree. And Odell's Lagerado is also on their list. Nothing Odell is cheap either. Certainly not Lagerado which isn't even one of their flagship beers that you can find anywhere. Whoever made this list needs to retire and never make lists again.

My go to cheap beers are Modelo Negra - 12 pack bottles in a closed carboard case for like $17 on sale at Kroger. The other one is Sun King Wee Mac 12 pack (only comes in cans) from Sam's Club is like $20.

Back in the early 1990's when i was in college and worked at a local grocery, I used to laugh at the frat boys wheeling cases upon cases of Milwaukee's Best swill out of the store when Natty Boh was on the shelf at the same price and was so much better. Hadn't seen Natty Boh in years, but found it not too long ago and bought a 6 pack for old times sake. It held up. Would drink after mowing the yard on a hot day.

Would go Killians if looking cheap/non-craft nowadays.

Another good PNW "cheap" beer is the session offering from Full Sail. The Cerveza one is tasty......you can usually find em in a 15 pack for like $15

PUB beer from 10 barrell is also a solid "cheap" lager.

We also pound PBR's on camping trips......and we did it way before it became the hipster fave.

Also, it's hard to beat an ICE COLD miller high life in the bottle on a summer day.

I still prefer Weinhards private reserve over all those above......it has this nice "bite" to it.....just a little more body, and flavor then your typical cheap lager.

Confused as to people trashing Yuengling, if they've changed the beer in the ~15 years since I was last on the east coast then correct me but it seemed a clear step up from most of what I would call "cheap beer" in terms of quality and if it was imported to the UK would happily buy it moderately regularly over most other US imports

I guess my view of it is completely skewed since the first time I tried it was at the age of 40 or so with 15 years under my belt living in an area of the country well known for its craft beers. I paid $9 for a Yuengling and was completely underwhelmed. But it's no worse than Bud, Miller, Coors, et al. It's just not special and certainly not worth seeking out.

Some other fun, cheap beers I have consumed include:

Leinenkugel (sp?) Red - "Liney's Red" - ice fishing in the boundry waters of Minn, this was the go-to beer.

Dixie - A New Orleans must for cheap, drinkable beer.

Genesee Blue - very popular in Maine, at least that's what I recall.

I'm not sure if the PBRs are still together, but they seemed like a match made in heaven.

I was buying Naragansett over the past summer and it went down really smooth. PBR is another one that once opened, disappears quickly from the can. A number of years ago, I bought some Schlitz and that was surprisingly good. Yeungling used to be money (and it's cheap around me) but it bloats my stomach QUICK.....

Out of the MIller/Bud/Coors/ families.....I think regular Bud is the best of them.

Sierrra Nevada PA is in my top 5 of favorite go-to beers. Bought a 12 pack yesterday for $20. Not a cheap beer IMO and shouldn't be in the same category as Bud and the like.

Edit: Looking at how they defined "cheap" isn't by cost or by blandness. It is more of a go-to type beer definition. Maybe they needed a different word than "cheap".
12 pack of Sierra products are on sale for $15.99 every other week at our local harris Teeter. Given that it's 7-9% abv, it's basically like getting a case.
Sierra Nevada products are mostly all I drink. I mostly only like IPA's and APA's.
Most importantly, I will not beer that doesn't come in a 12-pack (or more if we're talking a macro brew, and in that rare case it's generally PBR or Coors Banquet). My beer fridge is in the basement and I keep it loaded. I don't have the time or inclination to haul around 6-packs or single bottles.

Sierra Nevada products, particularly Torpedo, are such a good bang for the buck.

Although, I have been cheating with Stone a little lately. They've recently been hitting our market hard with 12-packs. For a long time, around here, SN had no competition for IPA/APA's in 12-packs.

Well, some locals did for a bit, but they got sucked into the juicy/hazy IPA vortex and no longer sell the IPA's that built the brewery in 12-packs. Now you have to get a mix of whatever juicy hazy crap the marketing department drummed up last week.

Well, some locals did for a bit, but they got sucked into the juicy/hazy IPA vortex and no longer sell the IPA's that built the brewery in 12-packs. Now you have to get a mix of whatever juicy hazy crap the marketing department drummed up last week.
My brewery makes a pretty decent range of styles and in the past it was even a wider range with a lot of saisons, a couple different wheat beers, Belgian ales. Our original flagship was an American style pale.

With the exception of our every day lager, the hazy IPAs probably sell 4-6x faster than anything else. It's not even close, it's just what the market wants. We'd love to make more experimental beers and classic styles but they sit in inventory for months whereas the new hazy IPA turns itself over in weeks.

I guess my view of it is completely skewed since the first time I tried it was at the age of 40 or so with 15 years under my belt living in an area of the country well known for its craft beers. I paid $9 for a Yuengling and was completely underwhelmed. But it's no worse than Bud, Miller, Coors, et al. It's just not special and certainly not worth seeking out.
$9 for a Yuengling is theft.

$9 for a Yuengling is theft.

Cedar. Point.

Also, shocked to learn that Gennessee Cream Ale is still made. I gotta find one of these. This way my dad's beer of choice when I was a kid (though he rarely drank) and, as it should be, was my first sip of beer.

Same here. Also would drink some of his when home from college. I bought a case about a decade ago hoping for nostalgia, but my tastes had changed enough by then.

Unfortunately I've become a beer snob in that I really only enjoy IPA/APAs any more, so the only thing I'd go for on this list is Sierra Nevada. But there was a time in my life that High Life was my go-to, and I do miss that.

Unfortunately I've become a beer snob in that I really only enjoy IPA/APAs any more, so the only thing I'd go for on this list is Sierra Nevada. But there was a time in my life that High Life was my go-to, and I do miss that.
Ha, yep, same - that was my preferred beer in college along with Premium Grain Belt.

Back in the 90s college days it was Beast or Natty, but we also occasionally added Honey Brown, Killians Red, or Yeungling. All cheap and fine. Red Dog, Hamms, Icehouse… cheap and terrible.

Honestly, it’s easy enough in most major cities to find good beer cheap enough that almost nobody should be drinking any of this crap.

It's obviously all personal taste. Some are saying Yuengling is terrible, but will point to Miller Lite/Coors Lite as being good. I find those latter two to just be water with a bit of hops thrown in, but that's me. Most of these beers mentioned are cheap for a reason - it's just what one prefers, or perhaps more accurately, tolerates..

Users who are viewing this thread