What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball format for the fantasy playoffs (1 Viewer)

valence

Footballguy
In a dynasty league that I run I was thinking of implementing a switch from standard H2H where you set your own lineups in the regular season to best ball format in the playoffs. Kind of a hybrid sort of league I guess. I think this would be a good way to further cut down on the luck factor that I'm sure has bit everyone here in the ### more than once.

Does anyone run a league like this? Has it been successful? Is there a setting somewhere in MFL that allows you to set two different scoring formats - one for the regular season and one for the playoffs?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is best ball format? I keep hearing about it but have never come to figure out what it is.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is best ball format? I keep hearing about it but have never come to figure out what it is.
In golf best ball is a tourney format where you get medium to average golfers to feel better about their scores. They each play the course, but take their shots from the best place they can (the 'best ball' of the 4 shots). In FF it would mean taking the highest possible score from your team (best qb, 2 best rbs, etc), kinda similar to the way fbgs does its 35k contest.

Top 4 teams through week 14 are in the playoffs. Each team gets the average of his 14 weeks as a score added to the scores during Week 15 and 16. The team with the most points wins the league.

A much better system than we had during the playoffs. The best team starts with an edge but allows solid second and third place teams to compete. We love it. Well, most of us do.

In a dynasty league that I run I was thinking of implementing a switch from standard H2H where you set your own lineups in the regular season to best ball format in the playoffs. Kind of a hybrid sort of league I guess. I think this would be a good way to further cut down on the luck factor that I'm sure has bit everyone here in the ### more than once.Does anyone run a league like this? Has it been successful? Is there a setting somewhere in MFL that allows you to set two different scoring formats - one for the regular season and one for the playoffs?Thanks in advance
so you take all the decision-making out of it? why? that's part of what makes it great. making the right choices with the pressure on. :kicksrock:

(SuperGreen – nothing personal. I’m not calling you out, I’m just addressing the opinion that many like you share…)

To me, that is a flawed argument. “Making the right choice…” Based on what – a FBG cheatsheet, ESPN ranking, or a “hunch?” So if every website says start Arian Foster against XXX def and he gets held to 75 yds and no TDs – was that the “right choice?” Not if you had Fred Jackson on your bench and he gets 125yds and 2 TDs. (I’m just randomly using players to illustrate the point.) I know – fantasy players like the “control” of choosing their starters, but the problem is – we have zero control over what happens on the field. Some decisions that look great, turn out to be bad. The decision made to “start” someone or “sit” them is so arbitrary. Best-ball, on the other hand, takes out that arbitrary decision. There is still “choice” and “control,” but it is manifested in team management (how you build your roster – your WHOLE team.) Anyway, I won’t belabor the point – other than to say I think best ball has more merit than some give it credit for. I switched my league to best-ball this year and love it – but I understand there is a strong majority of fantasy players that like the traditional start/sit leagues ( and love that “pressure”) and that will likely never change.

"Best Ball" wouldnt be fantasy football anymore. Why a different scoring system in the playoffs then the regular system. To me the only person who would like this is someone who kept leaving points on the bench.

This would be the fantasy football equivalent of Bumpers for little kids or woman on a bowling alley. And actually my son plays fantasy foot ball with his friends ( they copy the dads) and this is kind of what he does. They have all there guys count , NO Bench. Personally (and its my opinion) I would never play in a league that does this. Fantasy Football for beginers it seems. Again not saying its not right for some but just not for me. Now if My bench outscores my starters in week 14 I might reverse my mind lol.

Top 4 teams through week 14 are in the playoffs. Each team gets the average of his 14 weeks as a score added to the scores during Week 15 and 16. The team with the most points wins the league. A much better system than we had during the playoffs. The best team starts with an edge but allows solid second and third place teams to compete. We love it. Well, most of us do.
I love this idea. :goodposting:

In golf best ball is a tourney format where you get medium to average golfers to feel better about their scores. They each play the course, but take their shots from the best place they can (the 'best ball' of the 4 shots). In FF it would mean taking the highest possible score from your team (best qb, 2 best rbs, etc), kinda similar to the way fbgs does its 35k contest.
Not to nitpick BUT what you described is a scramble NOT best ball, many people get this "wrong"Best ball in golf is "the best score on your team" So if you are playing a 2 man team for example, I get a 4 on a hole and you get a 6 our score is a 4.

[/hijack]

Users who are viewing this thread