What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2016 (1 Viewer)

Memoryhouse's new one is good. Right up my alley, really ethereal low-key dream pop. Probably a little heavier on the synthpop vibe than their more heavily vocal older stuff. "Sarah" and "Dream Shake" are the winners on first listen.

I've been listening to a lot of R&B since the jukebox draft.  "Malibu" by Anderson .Paak is an excellent modern rhythm & blues album that hasn't had the blues autotuned  and programmed out.  Paak (minus the stupid punctuation) sings and raps in his distinctive raspy tenor over a wide variety of beats.  The record has the usual load of producers and guest artists but still has a great flow and holds together as an album.  The lyrics are decent as well, albeit incomprehensible at times to an old white guy.

Album of the year so far for me.

I saw Operators tonight - Dan Boeckner's new band with Sam Brown (Divine Fits)) and Devojka. Their new/first album isn't actually out yet, but if you liked Handsome Furs, this is very much in that vein (minus Boeckner's ex wife, of course). The first single, "Cold Light" is very Furs-ish, and is starting to get a lot of play up here. I actually like Handsome Furs better than either Wolf Parade or Divine Fits, so this is right up my alley and was a fantastic show tonight in a tiny venue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Northern Voice said:
I saw Operators tonight - Dan Boeckner's new band with Sam Brown (Divine Fits)) and Devojka. Their new/first album isn't actually out yet, but if you liked Handsome Furs, this is very much in that vein (minus Boeckner's ex wife, of course). The first single, "Cold Light" is very Furs-ish, and is starting to get a lot of play up here. I actually like Handsome Furs better than either Wolf Parade or Divine Fits, so this is right up my alley and was a fantastic show tonight in a tiny venue.
I had "True" batting lead off for my 2014 mix and am patiently waiting for their album.

Tortoise -- The Catastrophist

Savages -- Adore Life

Any day now , I think,  for new Rob Crow Project (Rob Crows Gloomy Place?  some #### like that)  and new PJ Harvey thng.

This is more a  note to myself on what I need to catch up on / look out for. 

I was very excited for this St. Lucia album.  I loved When the Night, one of my favorites of 2014.  Big synthpop/dance fan.  Loved the simple, relatively-minimalist, ethereal dancy pop on the last one.  

On first listen, this album is kinda a disaster.  It's Passion Pit on a 5-day coke binge.  It's not smooth shimmering synthpop like the last one.  It's nonstop 250 bpm record that can't decide whether it wants to be synthpop or clubkid EDM.  Every song is just nonstop frenetic tempo with so much dubbing and auto-tuning and editing.  It has its catchy moments but much of it is just oh my god, there is so much going on here.  

This is probably my favorite song on the album - "Physical".  It's an epitome of the album.  Can we throw any more effects into this?

I will have to revisit and give it a few more tries, but I'm just really confused on first full listen.

I'm just getting into electronic music via my brother (who is a DJ in Fort Lauderdale if anyone lives in the area)

Rufus - Bloom

Awesome album front-to-back. Much more song-oriented than most edm music.

Dying to get into more of this kind of stuff, looks like I may need to reach out to Mr. Steve Tasker there above me. Love me some Passion Pit. Speaking of, a very similar band "Starfuc*ker" who is now going by "STRFKR" has a great new single out called "Never Ever"

STRFCKR- Never Ever

Have not heard the new STRFKR song, will have to check it out.  I assume you know the album Reptilians by them?  My favorite of theirs, definitely check it out if you haven't.

Have not heard the new STRFKR song, will have to check it out.  I assume you know the album Reptilians by them?  My favorite of theirs, definitely check it out if you haven't.
Oh yeah, definitely their best to date.

I didn't love Miracle Mile, but there's some good tracks on there.

The new single is my favorite one I've heard from them since Reptilians.

Since we seem to have some similar taste, anymore new music you'd recommend?

Desperately need some new stuff. When I get into music, I play it out until I can't stand it anymore. Then I have to move on to something else. It's an addiction for sure, but a fun one.

Also, there's an obvious joke about Moby's entire catalog being good to sleep through/ignore, but I'll leave that fastball hanging. 

moby's entire catalog is SO boring, I sleep through it!

also... almost bought a place in the building where he owned the penthouse, around the corner from his Tea shop, Teany. thus, we almost had a conversation about how boring his catalog is.

I relistened to parts of "Play" while scouting 1999 for the jukebox draft.  It hasn't held up very well particularly with respect to beats.

Rob Crow's done good.  Might go see him this weekend if I can get anyone else to go.  Somebody has to want to get away from St Pats amateur hour.

Sioux Falls = Titus Andronicus Jr

Sometimes less is more

In the 2015 thread, I mentioned that I got tickets for my 12yo,14yo, and myself for Fall Out Boy, Awolnation, and Pvris.  That was tonight.

Pvris was good - not many songs, but they worked hard and sounded pretty good.  Daughter wants to check them out more.

Awolnation was excellent, better than I expected.  It's such a different type of sound than the other two bands.  They had a drum solo, though... ugh.

Fall Out Boy did a really good job.  They're not one of my favorites, but I'll hand it to them - the singer really belted the songs and I enjoyed the show.

But... I'm old and boring.  Concerts just aren't for me anymore.

On first listen, I really enjoyed Ray Lemontagne Jr. - Ouroboros. This is the one produced by Jim James and with My Morning Jacket (minus James) as his backing band. It is heavily Dark Side of the Moon influenced and is definitely an old style "Album" rather than an MP3 folder, so there's your starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread