What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Tate release ! (1 Viewer)

Don't open your mouth and then not perform.
To be fair, the Browns made him a captain against his former team this past weekend, then they gave him 2 carries. He spouted off before that game though, which was wrong on his part as well.

Holy sheep.

Totally unexpected news.

Feel bad for the guy but he made some sulky-type comments after the Texan game about not even getting a carry when he actually had two for negative yardage.

Definitely a huge bump for Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West.

Oh since he was 'just' reinstated this could have been a shot across the bow of WR Josh Gordon to shape the F' up and toe the Pettine line.

I just don't understand why the Browns are giving him away...
need gordon roster room and he was demanding more carries. Got maybe one this weekend...i know because i started this hump...

I guess a Houston reunion is possible... but different offense...or how about back with Kubiak in Baltimore

Addition by subtraction.

The whiners and malcontents of the world never seem to learn from what happens to other whiners and malcontents the minute they stop being highly useful. See ya.

I just don't understand why the Browns are giving him away...
I'd rather deactivate him than give him to the Colts who play the Browns soon. But I guess they value the roster spot more (and getting rid of the attitude) and are willing to take that risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd best RB on the team. Thought this was going to happen in the offseason though, not now.
Not surprising. This is what happens to mediocre players who complain publicly about their role.

I'm with you, thought it would happen in the offseason, surprising to see it now.

Starting RB for the Colts?
my first thought!
I agree. Despite claims to the contrary, he had not played badly at all. The problem is he got hurt--of course, that has been his problem for a while so some would say 'no surprise.'

I would guess it was his criticism of coaching that led to this. I can imagine that after this weekend he may have asked to be released and coaches decided they like the young guys and don't need him. He will sign on with someone quickly I predict and be in a better position.

Addition by subtraction.

The whiners and malcontents of the world never seem to learn from what happens to other whiners and malcontents the minute they stop being highly useful. See ya.
You kidding? You think Tate isnt overjoyed by this news?
Overjoyed at going from the 2 yr 6.2 mil he was making to the minimum salary he'll make next? Not likely.
Im talking about being cut this week. He was never gonna be on the Browns next year

Addition by subtraction.

You kidding? You think Tate isnt overjoyed by this news?
Overjoyed at going from the 2 yr 6.2 mil he was making to the minimum salary he'll make next? Not likely.
I believe when he was on the opening day roster that guaranteed his salary for the rest of the year. Correct?

He probably knew he wouldn't likely be back in 2015 for that salary.

Great timing for me considering I have Kelvin Benjamin and Antonio Brown on bye this week.

Mr. Crowell, welcome to my flex spot.

Free to sign with any team, or is there a waiver priority? Termed another way, is he about to become a Raider?

If he is free to sign anywhere, what are the best bets?

Indi obviously

Denver

Miami

Pitts

Would be a valuable handcuff in any of these spots. Possibly a starter in 2-3 weeks in Indi.

I believe if he is claimed then the team has to pick up his existing contract. Because of that, he might clear waivers and be free to sign with any team. If that is the case, from a non-money standpoint, I think Indy would be the place he'd want to go to. Playoff team where he pretty clearly will have a chance to be the guy. Most of the other teams mentioned he'd be a handcuff or at least in a muddled situation similar to the one he was in and clearly wasn't happy with.

I'll add the Vikings as a possibility with ADP suspended for the year and they may choose to want to part ways. It might give them a chance to evaluate Tate a bit and determine if they want to look to him, free agency or the draft next year. This would seem to me to be more of a long shot than say Indy, Hou or Denver.

What a trainwreck of offseason RB free agency. Tate, Gerhart, MJD, C Johnson all could be on the street in 2015.

What happened to this guy? Went from looking like the best FA RB out there to a turd in weeks.

wouldnt be surprised if it came out he demanded to be released. his contract was team friendly where most of his pay is from being active and hitting certain rushing totals, like a 2 million dollar difference between playing and watching from the couch. coaches want to shut him down for a week (or three) and he'd want no part of it. His agent, woman, or voices in his head has him convinced he is elite, but his game tape for the past month says otherwise.

Id crack a joke about fleecing the colts in a trade for him, but im a skins fan so no room to talk lol.

What happened to this guy? Went from looking like the best FA RB out there to a turd in weeks.
He very likely is/was the best FA RB out there. The Browns just drafted RB well and that messed things up. Tate is definitely not a special talent, but with volume he'd probably be pretty good.

The Browns had 2 good looking rookies that were out there working hard every day trying to be the starter and trying to help the team. Tate was whining like a baby because he thought he should be the veteran starter that gets all the carries. Browns don't need Tate and Tate was clearly unhappy. Rather than dealing with him, they just decided to cut him.

Lots of teams will call him IMO. He looked bad for the last several weeks but he's cheap and it can't hurt to kick the tires for playoff hunt teams like; Indy, NE, Balt or Den.

Free to sign with any team, or is there a waiver priority? Termed another way, is he about to become a Raider?

If he is free to sign anywhere, what are the best bets?

Indi obviously

Denver

Miami

Pitts

Would be a valuable handcuff in any of these spots. Possibly a starter in 2-3 weeks in Indi.
He's not free to sign anywhere; he must go through waivers first.

The team that claims him would owe him the remainder of this years salary, $375K. There's nothing guaranteed beyond that, so that's as much as any team would have to invest.

Holy sheep.

Totally unexpected news.

Feel bad for the guy but he made some sulky-type comments after the Texan game about not even getting a carry when he actually had two for negative yardage.

Oh since he was 'just' reinstated this could have been a shot across the bow of WR Josh Gordon to shape the F' up and toe the Pettine line.
I'm not sure how an extra two carries split between Crowell and West equates to a "huge bump".

Holy sheep.

Totally unexpected news.

I'm not sure how an extra two carries split between Crowell and West equates to a "huge bump".
Less rotation. No third wheel. Don't diminish it, this is a bump.

Holy sheep.

Totally unexpected news.

i doubt hoyer throws 50 times again. That game was an anomaly. I can see them splitting tates 10-12 touches

Holy sheep.

Totally unexpected news.

The bump is the certainty that all remaining carries this year will only be split 2 ways.

Less trying to figure out packages to keep him happy. Crowell and West can play with more confidence not having to look over their shoulders.

I think Tate can be a serious contributor to a team for the stretch run. I also can see why he was jettisoned. He publicly questioned the coaching staff. Pettine just showed he is not going to tolerate that type of attitude. He was challenged and Tate lost. It is a good message for the Browns locker room.

With that said, Tate looked good then hurt his knee. I fully expect him to average at least 4 yards a carry on a team like the Broncos or Colts.

Whats the waiver time on his pick up? 48 hours?

Faster he gets on the practice field with his new team the better!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think probably the trigger might've been losing those guys on defense.

the roster spot just became more valuable than tate and his mouth

Holy sheep.

Totally unexpected news.

Less rotation. No third wheel. Don't diminish it, this is a bump.
Or they continue to give Crowell all the carries one week and West the next. This is a mess, Tate leaving doesnt make it any less of one.

Users who are viewing this thread