What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Beason is just not doing it... (1 Viewer)

gandalas

Footballguy
Man, only 4 tackles again yesterday...I was hoping for the types of things that Davis did from that WLB position this season, and nothing...

Talk about falling off the IDP map!

It has been very disheartening.

He is on pace for 121 tackles (85 solo) which would be career lows, he has no big plays this season, and just 2 PD to his credit.

It is hard to drop him though because he was drafted so high. He is like Randy Moss on defense!

Hopefully Davis comes back for Beason can move back to the middle.

johnnyboy8102 said:
It has been very disheartening. He is on pace for 121 tackles (85 solo) which would be career lows, he has no big plays this season, and just 2 PD to his credit. It is hard to drop him though because he was drafted so high. He is like Randy Moss on defense! Hopefully Davis comes back for Beason can move back to the middle.
No doubt. No big plays. You think with his athleticism there would be something. And that defense is certainly on the field A LOT!

Any insights into the lack of production from homers or staff? Wondering if I should cut bait. Is it position/scheme change? Any light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm sorry, I forgot to warn you guys that he was on my dynasty team.

Same fate happened to Braylon Edwards, Jay Cutler, Jonathan Stewart and Nick Barnett over the last few years. It is the curse of the Baltimore Balrogs.

Here's my full roster for future warnings:

QB - Cutler, Cassel, Kolb & Stafford

RB - MJD, RBush, JStewart, Hillis

WR - SS-NYG, Knox, BMW, MSW, Dez

PK - Barth

TE - ZMiller, Keller

DL - Kampman, Biermann, Campbell

LB - Lofton, Levy, Beason, Bishop & ADavis

DB - Harper, Hope, Huff & Berry

For the handful of the above players that are playing well, it is sell-high time.

I'm sorry, I forgot to warn you guys that he was on my dynasty team.Same fate happened to Braylon Edwards, Jay Cutler, Jonathan Stewart and Nick Barnett over the last few years. It is the curse of the Baltimore Balrogs.Here's my full roster for future warnings:QB - Cutler, Cassel, Kolb & StaffordRB - MJD, RBush, JStewart, HillisWR - SS-NYG, Knox, BMW, MSW, DezPK - BarthTE - ZMiller, KellerDL - Kampman, Biermann, CampbellLB - Lofton, Levy, Beason, Bishop & ADavisDB - Harper, Hope, Huff & BerryFor the handful of the above players that are playing well, it is sell-high time.
This is excellent information. Could I have your scoring system too?Again, I repeat:
Any insights into the lack of production from homers or staff? Wondering if I should cut bait. Is it position/scheme change? Any light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm sorry, I forgot to warn you guys that he was on my dynasty team.Same fate happened to Braylon Edwards, Jay Cutler, Jonathan Stewart and Nick Barnett over the last few years. It is the curse of the Baltimore Balrogs.Here's my full roster for future warnings:QB - Cutler, Cassel, Kolb & StaffordRB - MJD, RBush, JStewart, HillisWR - SS-NYG, Knox, BMW, MSW, DezPK - BarthTE - ZMiller, KellerDL - Kampman, Biermann, CampbellLB - Lofton, Levy, Beason, Bishop & ADavisDB - Harper, Hope, Huff & BerryFor the handful of the above players that are playing well, it is sell-high time.
This is excellent information. Could I have your scoring system too?Again, I repeat:
I was going to give a smart ### reply with my scoring system, but since we play much nicer in the IDP forum, I'll give you my observations from watching much of the game this week.Beason is just in the wrong spot most of the time to make the tackle and appears to be taking angles to head off ball carriers instead of attacking the play. Anderson, however is diving in head first on a regular basis and getting the tackles the way Beason did last year. I believe he is just in a bit more of a read and react spot at WLB and seems to be trying to stop big plays from happening instead of looking to get to the ball carrier quick and make a stop.That said, Beason should have had several assists this week to aid in the production, but STL stat crews don't believe in assists as defined by the NFL.

I was going to give a smart ### reply with my scoring system, but since we play much nicer in the IDP forum, I'll give you my observations from watching much of the game this week.
:goodposting: You should have told Professor S to take his question to the IDP AC Forum :thumbup:

I was going to give a smart ### reply with my scoring system, but since we play much nicer in the IDP forum, I'll give you my observations from watching much of the game this week.Beason is just in the wrong spot most of the time to make the tackle and appears to be taking angles to head off ball carriers instead of attacking the play. Anderson, however is diving in head first on a regular basis and getting the tackles the way Beason did last year. I believe he is just in a bit more of a read and react spot at WLB and seems to be trying to stop big plays from happening instead of looking to get to the ball carrier quick and make a stop.That said, Beason should have had several assists this week to aid in the production, but STL stat crews don't believe in assists as defined by the NFL.
Thanks for the mature response. Apologies for being a tool earlier. It was unnecessary. The IDP forum holds itself to a higher standard. Shouldn't take my frustrations on something entirely different out on this forum. Anyone else got any observations?

I heard rumors a few weeks ago about Beason potentially returning to his original position as other players return from injury. Any info on that?

Beason was just dropped in my league and I'm having a hard time deciding whether he's even worth picking up. Hard to believe he has fallen this far.

I'd love to read Jene's thoughts on his prospects for the rest of the season.

I'd love to read Jene's thoughts on his prospects for the rest of the season.
I don't think there's a lot wrong with Beason right now. I agree that he's not looked as dynamic and downhill to the ball, but he's been far from terrible on the field. Though Beason has the coveted WLB role in this Tampa-2 like scheme (which is now borderline overrated in some respects), he's not in the playmaking role in the nickel. Essentially, the Panthers have given him Thomas Davis' job on run downs, but Beason still plays inside in the nickel. That takes him away from the line of scrimmage on many of those plays and allows Anderson to clean up underneath and get the bulk of the pass rush opportunities.I dropped him out of my top three after Davis' injury due to some of those concerns, but ultimately couldn't convince myself to drop him out of the top five. I still think Anderson is playing way over his head (he averaged only five solos/gm in a similar role in six games last season) and think it's notable that Beason has been on a near 90 solo pace for most of the season. He's not going to be the top five stud that everyone expected this preseason, but he'll still be a very fine LB2+ at minimum.

When do we start giving Anderson some credit? Everyone has said he can't keep it up and every week he's kept it up.

When do we start giving Anderson some credit? Everyone has said he can't keep it up and every week he's kept it up.
I like Anderson. I pimped him frequently as the next MLB in Carolina when Dan Morgan seemed unlikely to ever be healthy and before Beason was drafted, suggesting he'd go from the outhouse to LB3++ value. But the man is on a 120 solo tackle, six sack, seven FF/FR, two INT, ten PD pace through seven games. Contrast that with last season's pace in his final six games (83 solos, two sacks, 2 FF/FR, zero INT, 2 PD). It's a slightly different role for Anderson and he's definitely playing better, but I think it's an easy argument that his current pace is not sustainable.In the end, unless you're in a start 1 LB league, it's a non-issue. His floor in most weeks will be in the LB2 range with every-week LB1 upside. For the investment most paid, he'll continue to be a ridiculously good value.

So just to clarify, about how far down the list of LBs would you rank Beason and Anderson for the rest of the season. Both top 15? Is one top 10?

So just to clarify, about how far down the list of LBs would you rank Beason and Anderson for the rest of the season. Both top 15? Is one top 10?
Without breaking down the lists closely, I'd think I'd have Anderson ahead of Beason by a about a tier. Anderson LB1- (6-14), Beason LB2+ (10-20).

Now that is more like it! I will take 7-2 any day of the week. A couple more big-plays would be nice, but I will not frown on a 16-point week.

gandalas said:
Now that is more like it! I will take 7-2 any day of the week. A couple more big-plays would be nice, but I will not frown on a 16-point week.
He was my top LB this week. Thanks for nothing Cooper & Lofton!

Lofton's home scorekeeper stinks. He his averaging 0.75 assists at home this season.

Lofton and Ray Lewis owners take note for this Thursday and lower expectations.

Dan Connor and Thomas Davis to IR. Any word on Beason moving back to the middle? Could be huge for him.

And it could really mess up Anderson's season. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.

(KFFL) Carolina Panthers LB Jon Beason will move back to middle linebacker because of the injury to LB Dan Connor (hip), reports Darin Gantt, of the Rock Hill Herald.
This excites me greatly...back to top-5 status, I would think?

Last edited by a moderator:
why would anderson suffer he staying in his same spot beason is taking conners spot anderson stays put why shoudl that matter.

It's just a theory, but with Beason lining up next to Anderson now, he has the chance to steal more tackles from him.

They've been on opposite sides of the alignment up until now. Anderson's big plays should still be there, and the 3rd down alignment will be the same, but I'd expect less tackles on 1st and 2nd downs for Anderson, and more for Beason. Beason is a legit stud MLB, Connor wasn't. That has helped Anderson tremendously.

playing devil's advocate here. i think the panthers paper bag front 4 really hurts Beason's ability wherever he lines up. he's a uber quick and has 'pretty' good instincts but he's not a physical shed at point of attack type guy(maybe the one thing Connor was better built for). the other thing to consider when thinking Anderson numbers may drop is that Connor (no matter what u think of him or where Beason was aligned) was playing pretty good. meaning whoever slides in at WLB will be a much less now will be much less a problem stealing tackles from beason/anderson than connor.

i don't have the source(could find it if i tried) but i have read a few times that Connor looked good enuff in his tryout to return as Panthers MLB next year. that lends credence to the fact he was playing well and there could be more tackle opps for both Beason/Anderson and Beason's longterm position may very well be WLB. i'm a believer that TD has played his last down as a panther

playing devil's advocate here. i think the panthers paper bag front 4 really hurts Beason's ability wherever he lines up. he's a uber quick and has 'pretty' good instincts but he's not a physical shed at point of attack type guy(maybe the one thing Connor was better built for). the other thing to consider when thinking Anderson numbers may drop is that Connor (no matter what u think of him or where Beason was aligned) was playing pretty good. meaning whoever slides in at WLB will be a much less now will be much less a problem stealing tackles from beason/anderson than connor.i don't have the source(could find it if i tried) but i have read a few times that Connor looked good enuff in his tryout to return as Panthers MLB next year. that lends credence to the fact he was playing well and there could be more tackle opps for both Beason/Anderson and Beason's longterm position may very well be WLB. i'm a believer that TD has played his last down as a panther
For all we know, Bill Cowher will be the Panthers head coach, transform the D into a 3-4 which he has always run, and Connor and Beason will both be ILB's. Alot will happen before next year. Enjoy the bump for Beason for the rest of this season!

playing devil's advocate here. i think the panthers paper bag front 4 really hurts Beason's ability wherever he lines up. he's a uber quick and has 'pretty' good instincts but he's not a physical shed at point of attack type guy(maybe the one thing Connor was better built for). the other thing to consider when thinking Anderson numbers may drop is that Connor (no matter what u think of him or where Beason was aligned) was playing pretty good. meaning whoever slides in at WLB will be a much less now will be much less a problem stealing tackles from beason/anderson than connor.i don't have the source(could find it if i tried) but i have read a few times that Connor looked good enuff in his tryout to return as Panthers MLB next year. that lends credence to the fact he was playing well and there could be more tackle opps for both Beason/Anderson and Beason's longterm position may very well be WLB. i'm a believer that TD has played his last down as a panther
For all we know, Bill Cowher will be the Panthers head coach, transform the D into a 3-4 which he has always run, and Connor and Beason will both be ILB's. Alot will happen before next year. Enjoy the bump for Beason for the rest of this season!
I hope Cowher is the coach in Carolina, but I don't see it happening to be quite honest. I'd be shocked if the owner puts that much $ into the next coach.

(KFFL) Carolina Panthers LB Jon Beason will move back to middle linebacker because of the injury to LB Dan Connor (hip), reports Darin Gantt, of the Rock Hill Herald.
This excites me greatly...back to top-5 status, I would think?
I would think so, because Panther defense would always stay on the field defending the run after opposing teams get their sizable lead every game. PLUS Clausen will turn the ball over often and put panthers in 3 and out situations all the time. Time of possession favors the opposing teams every game. Win win situation for a MLB in fantasy! Beason is licking his chops and finally able to dish out his frustration on opposing RBs. Beason is a perfect storm for the rest of the season!

Not this week. Tampa kind of a weird matchup, and Panthers did manage to move the ball more. Hoping better days are coming soon?
Sure hope so, see how Anderson's number also dropped? look like teams are just going to run to the new WLB side now, little worried but once they tighten it up just a little Beason will shine. I will be really worried if he doesn't produce against ravens.

Just saw this on Rotoworld:

(RotoWire) Beason (knee) did not practice Wednesday, the Carolina Growl reports.

Analysis: Head coach John Fox usually doesn't play players who don't practice Wednesday, so unless Beason can prove that his knee is healthy enough, it looks doubtful that Beason will play this Sunday. It's still early in the week, so follow his progress leading up to kickoff Sunday.

Just saw this on Rotoworld:(RotoWire) Beason (knee) did not practice Wednesday, the Carolina Growl reports.Analysis: Head coach John Fox usually doesn't play players who don't practice Wednesday, so unless Beason can prove that his knee is healthy enough, it looks doubtful that Beason will play this Sunday. It's still early in the week, so follow his progress leading up to kickoff Sunday.
Great, out of nowhere comes this news.

Freaking great.

I'm sure Beason will play if he can get upright, but its not like he needed any more downside after his season so far.

apparently, he was "limited" -- not sure what that means...

(KFFL) Carolina Panthers DE Greg Hardy (concussion) and LBs Jon Beason (knee) and Nic Harris (knee) were limited during practice Thursday, Nov. 18, according to Panthers.com.

Rotowire:

Beason (knee) participated fully in Friday's practice and is listed as probable for Sunday's game against Baltimore, Panthers.com reports.

Spin: As usual, Beason has been a steady source of tackles this season and should be safe to deploy as an IDP in Week 11.

:shrug:

CataclysmicThunder said:
Rotowire:

Beason (knee) participated fully in Friday's practice and is listed as probable for Sunday's game against Baltimore, Panthers.com reports.

Spin: As usual, Beason has been a steady source of tackles this season and should be safe to deploy as an IDP in Week 11.

:2cents:
phew.

Users who are viewing this thread