What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BBQ And Spice Rubs (1 Viewer)

Jobu

Footballguy
Any of you have a bbq spice rub you swear by...either mixed on your own or bought?

I have used Killer Hogs and Cattleman's Grill Mexicano Rub.  Added some of the Mexicano Rub on some enchiladas meat.

Help someone and/or their families suffering from mental illness and donate to a good cause at...

https://www.namiwalks.org/participant/371514

Let me guess. This is your website?
No, I have nothing to do with that site, other than visiting it once in while for ideas...

I also frequent youtube for some bbq masters I like for their recipes.

Looks like I screwed up.  I didn't realize that there already was a bbq and grilling thread 😬

Sorry about that.  New here and there is a lot of content.

Help someone and/or their families suffering from mental illness and donate to a good cause at...

https://www.namiwalks.org/participant/371514

$250,000 raised so far...

There was a place up near Sonoma that had a rub on their wings I thought was awesome.  I asked if they sold it and they don't.  I asked what was in it and the guy gave me a tub with the ingredients for me to take home.  I use it on almost everything.  Here is the recipe:

• 4 parts brown sugar
  • 1 part cumin
  • 1 part garlic powder
  • 1 part onion powder
  • 1 part paprika
  • 1 part salt
  • 1 part pepper
  • 1/2 part cayenne

Enjoy!

:blackdot:

No harm in separating this from the Grilling thread. Makes it easier to find.

Have found this one to be a good all-purpose one:

Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Ingredients

1 ½ teaspoons onion powder

1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon seasoning salt

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can add more according to your taste)

½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon thyme

Hi. 

I'm with @Ron Swanson... no reason to get too cute. Rubs with 19 ingredients are overkill. Also, insisting on mixing your own is your choice but generally speaking someone out there is doing that flavor profile better than you. Just about anyone on the Competition BBQ (KCBS or MBN) or World Food Championship circuits is using pre-packaged rubs and sauces. 

Smoked BBQ Ribs: Tennessee Mojo BBQ (won World Champ of BBQ in 2019) - Optional thin base of Killer Hogs BBQ Hot

Steak: McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning or just S&P

Smoked Brisket / Beef Ribs: 60% Montreal Steak Seasoning / 40% Coarse Black Pepper

Beef, General : Boars Night Out White Lightning / White Lightning Double Garlic Butter (used by most burger folks at World Food Championship) <---- this stuff is incredible and versatile

Poultry, General: James Do All  (Secret Weapon) <---  EXTREMELY versatile - Good on veggies and seafood as well.

Misc Add In: Tajin - Love working this in with Black beans and lots of other stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You and my wife would be best friends. When we first got married she put it on everything. 
Try the recipe above Im pretty sure you and the wife will love it. The maple syrup brown sugar and cayenne pepper make for a very unique flavor. It's really more of a mud than a rub. Best steak I've ever grilled.

Tell your wife there is a whole line of Everglades seasonings. I love the fish and chicken one as well.

Try the recipe above Im pretty sure you and the wife will love it. The maple syrup brown sugar and cayenne pepper make for a very unique flavor. It's really more of a mud than a rub. Best steak I've ever grilled.

Tell your wife there is a whole line of Everglades seasonings. I love the fish and chicken one as well.
Will have to give it a go.  Shes a traditionalist on the everglades though

i have been putting a twix bar in to my spice rubs give it a try take that to the bank brohans 

I will add that for pork ribs I favor Meathead's Memphis Dust.  I love that there is no salt in it so I can dry brine and then add it.  I add a bit more powdered rosemary than he does.
I do the same including the bump of the rosemary powder.  Moreso because I was having trouble finding it, so I ordered what turns out to be a LOT of powder rosemary. 

Brony said:
I do the same including the bump of the rosemary powder.  Moreso because I was having trouble finding it, so I ordered what turns out to be a LOT of powder rosemary. 
Same, I've got what appears to be multiple lifetime supplies of the powdered rosemary.

Try a little lime zest with your own homemade rubs and you'll never go back.  

I make one close to Gally's recipe that's perfect for blackened fish.  

- Zest of a small to medium lime
- 1 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp each:  Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, SMOKED Paprika, Thyme, Black pepper
- 1 tsp each:  Kosher or rock salt, Oregano, Cumin, Tony's (I know that repeats some of the other ingredients, but i use it in everything - can nix it and just use 2 tsp Kosher salt)
- 1/2 tsp each:  Nutmeg, Allspice, Cayenne (can use a full tsp if you like heat)

This is from Steven Raichlen. It's his basic BBQ rub that I use on pork and chicken. Salt and pepper if I'm smoking a brisket or rib roast. 

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup paprika

3 tablespoons black pepper

4 tablespoons kosher salt

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons celery seeds

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I'll add this question here, but I've been thinking about trying to make up my own BBQ sauce - anyone got links or recipes of stuff they have made that they like and what they think it goes best with. Thanks.

I'll add this question here, but I've been thinking about trying to make up my own BBQ sauce - anyone got links or recipes of stuff they have made that they like and what they think it goes best with. Thanks.
My son and i have one thats a work in progress. 

1 1/4 cups ketchup preferably organic
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup pineapple juice or you can sub apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less if you don't like the heat)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon cumin

Its too sweet. cutting back on most all the sweet stuff next time around. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my fave for pork

Make it at least a day ahead imo

https://www.bunsinmyoven.com/tangy-carolina-barbecue-sauce/
 Thanks that looks really good - one of the next things I plan to try and smoke (as I am diving deeper into this) would be a pork shoulder to make pulled pork.

Inspired to finally do that as my 10 year old was asking me last night about coleslaw, what is in it, etc (because I got him Raising Canes as part of a school fundraiser, and he always does no coleslaw, extra fries since that's what his brothers do). So after I explained what it was, I told him that I like to put it on pulled pork sandwiches that has a tangy/slight heat sauce on it, as the slaw cools it a bit and adds a crunchy texture - so, next project when I find time is to plan to make this.

Thanks that looks really good - one of the next things I plan to try and smoke (as I am diving deeper into this) would be a pork shoulder to make pulled pork.

Inspired to finally do that as my 10 year old was asking me last night about coleslaw, what is in it, etc (because I got him Raising Canes as part of a school fundraiser, and he always does no coleslaw, extra fries since that's what his brothers do). So after I explained what it was, I told him that I like to put it on pulled pork sandwiches that has a tangy/slight heat sauce on it, as the slaw cools it a bit and adds a crunchy texture - so, next project when I find time is to plan to make this.
One of the easiest things to smoke.  Takes a while but pretty simple.

Users who are viewing this thread