What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bands/Artists that you hated but now appreciate (1 Viewer)

HellToupee

Footballguy
The other threads got me thinking about this. Growing up and heavily into music there were bands that I absolutely hated . Some such as Led Zep , Queen & Aserosmith that I still to this day but there are others that I’ve come to appreciate. Anyone else have a change of heart?

I’ll start with
Pink Floyd & Van Halen-mainly the (DLR version . Gateways to each were Wish You Were Here & VH1

Believe it or not, Led Zeppelin.
Absolutely hated them back in the day because I was super into the Beatles at that time and the morons at high school were into Zeppelin so I hated them.
Moved to Colorado and became a DJ so I quickly got up to speed at that time but boy did I hate Zep when everyone else was falling over them back in the day.

I don't want to say I hated them, but more ignored them because they were not "mainstream" for my age group but now in my older years now, I have come to love Neil Diamond and Gordon Lightfoot.

I used to actively dislike Alanis Morissette's voice. For decades. About five years ago, I suddenly started liking it, and now I enjoy it a lot to where I'd call myself a fan. Her 2020 album was fantastic. A friend has called it my biggest 180 ever. :lol:

I don't want to say I hated them, but more ignored them because they were not "mainstream" for my age group but now in my older years now, I have come to love Neil Diamond and Gordon Lightfoot.
My 9th grade science teacher loved Diamond and inundated the class with his music. It took me me a long time after to appreciate him.

Never hated them at all, but was never a big fan of the Dead until basically this board started 20 years ago. Have really come to appreciate their musicianship, especially live. I know a lot of people find them boring, but I think they're a fascinating band.

Always just wrote off Miley Cyrus as just the daughter of someone successful. Never bothered listening to anything she did.
Heard her sing on The Voice and thought, she's not so bad. Found a number of videos on YouTube where she covers a lot of songs I like. I definitely appreciate her more now.

The Cure, actually a lot of the early new wave era.

Yup. I wouldn’t say I hated them, but felt I was too cool in the 80’s.
Same for me with the Smiths. I used to mock them and wound up loving them.

Fleetwood Mac--I heard all the radio hits way too many times growing up. I didn't truly dislike them but really didn't care about them. Then I heard their earlier (pre-Nicks/Buckingham) records that didn't get nearly as much airplay and realized they were all pretty good too. Bare Trees is a great album.

There's no one specific band that comes to mind, but when I was a teenager, there was no worse epithet than "Top 40". As I got older, and as I, like many other Americans, moved closer to the British view of "pop music" as a worthy artistic genre, I have more appreciation for a well-written ear worm, no matter how popular it may be.

One example that comes to mind: I remember when "Mmm Bop" came out in the '90s, and thinking it represented everything I hated about popular music. I hear it now, and I'm not saying it's high art or anything, but I can appreciate it for what it is

Artist I actually had negative feelings and reactions to: Grateful Dead.

Artist that I really wasn’t that into: Tom Petty.

These days, I could listen to the GD for hours and not tire of it. And I listen to TP pretty regularly.
In middle school and most of high school, I could take or leave Petty (other than Refugee and Breakdown, which I loved). A high school friend who was really into him helped me see the light, but I didn't really become a big fan until he became a Wilbury and put out Full Moon Fever.

thought i'd be able to think of someone but can't.
guess my musical taste has been consistent (ly excellent).
still don't get the tony bennett love.
really tried to like phish, but no.

As I've gotten older, I've become less doctrinaire and judgemental about musical artists. I have my favorites but can find beauty among most things I listen to. Even my Eagles and Rush hatred is almost entirely schtick at this point.
It's also not possible to hate something as much as Uruk hates Billy Joel.

As I've gotten older, I've become less doctrinaire and judgemental about musical artists. I have my favorites but can find beauty among most things I listen to. Even my Eagles and Rush hatred is almost entirely schtick at this point.
It's also not possible to hate something as much as Uruk hates Billy Joel.
I will make fun of Eagles, the 70s proggers, Grunge, and Jackson Browne at his most pretentious (which means his entire career).

"Billy Joel Is A Hack" is the one non-shtick hill I will die on. If he was the world's nicest guy, cured cancer, and fed every hungry kid......well, he's done none of those and his music sucks.

Disliked Neil Young because of his voice but now listen to him a few days every week. Thanks Pip. Just started liking Bruce about a year ago. Still don’t like the Stones. After trying to like them for a couple of decades. Never liked the Eagles until about 10 years ago and now don’t understand the hate. They didn’t put out the most exciting music but it’s nice to chill to.

I didn’t like much outside of hard rock. Until I was about 40. Fortunately, I did like some great artists outside of rock. My mother raised me on Elvis, Beatles, Neil Diamond and the Carpenters so they were always loved.

I will make fun of Eagles, the 70s proggers, Grunge, and Jackson Browne at his most pretentious (which means his entire career).
I seem to recall that you are not the biggest Jeff Lynne fan.
He's another that I make fun of here to amuse myself, but actually like a lot. I'm a melody guy and Jeff knows from melodies. If you're gonna ride someone's coattails, there are worse places to steal from than the Beatles.

If he was the world's nicest guy, cured cancer, and fed every hungry kid......well, he's done none of those
he has had sex with Christie Brinkley.

who despite being pretty, i've always found about as hot as a blow up doll.

so it's fitting, Billy Joel's music is as satisfying as having sex with a blow up doll. i hear.

Users who are viewing this thread