What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AZ Cards Talk on Sports Radio (1 Viewer)

LHUCKS

Footballguy
- A. Rolle is blowing up and is the most talked about player in camp outside of Edge

- Pope is getting #####slapped by the D-Line and catches with his body too much...currently 3rd on the depth chart

- The consensus is that the Cards are being cheap with Leinart and are trying to save a buck...contradicts what ESPN is reporting saying he wants "Vince Young" money...which insiders insist isn't true.

- A. Rolle is blowing up and is the most talked about player in camp outside of Edge

- Pope is getting #####slapped by the D-Line and catches with his body too much...currently 3rd on the depth chart

- The consensus is that the Cards are being cheap with Leinart and are trying to save a buck...contradicts what ESPN is reporting saying he wants "Vince Young" money...which insiders insist isn't true.
So is Adam Bergen in the running for the starting TE in Arizona? Pope is a talent and I'm sure will be the go to TE eventually but will it be this season?

So is Adam Bergen in the running for the starting TE in Arizona? Pope is a talent and I'm sure will be the go to TE eventually but will it be this season?
Yes they stated Bergen is currently the #1. Denny likes to pimp his draft picks so he has that going for him...at the same time Pope came out as an underdclassman so he was/is considered somewhat of a project. If he can't block it's hard to imagine him starting. Keeping Warner healthy is one of the top priorities for the Cards this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
- A. Rolle is blowing up and is the most talked about player in camp outside of Edge- Pope is getting #####slapped by the D-Line and catches with his body too much...currently 3rd on the depth chart- The consensus is that the Cards are being cheap with Leinart and are trying to save a buck...contradicts what ESPN is reporting saying he wants "Vince Young" money...which insiders insist isn't true.
Nice I pimped Rolle up pretty good when he was drafted.Pope, seems to be a bit different from what another thread says. It said he showed good speed and lookoed pretty good. :confused:

- A. Rolle is blowing up and is the most talked about player in camp outside of Edge- Pope is getting #####slapped by the D-Line and catches with his body too much...currently 3rd on the depth chart- The consensus is that the Cards are being cheap with Leinart and are trying to save a buck...contradicts what ESPN is reporting saying he wants "Vince Young" money...which insiders insist isn't true.
Nice I pimped Rolle up pretty good when he was drafted.Pope, seems to be a bit different from what another thread says. It said he showed good speed and lookoed pretty good. :confused:
The blog on AZCentral had these quotes about Pope:- "Pope looked tough and quick"- "Pope is big and looks strong, big things coming from this guy."- "Pope moves well for his size, using strength to rip by Gerald Hayes to break to the next level."- "Pope shows his speed against Rolle coming across the middle. Look for that play to be effective this season, its fast and will gain decent yardage."Where did you hear that Pope wasn't looking good?

Edge will lose it after about 4 weeks of running into defenders at the line of scrimmage.

He never knew how good he had it in Indy.

This team has talent at the skill positions, as is Fatso's MO, but his line SUCKS.

Ask alot of good RB's how they do behind crap O lines.

Barry Sanders not included of course.

Thanks Lhucks. Excellent post.J

The blog on AZCentral had these quotes about Pope:- "Pope looked tough and quick"- "Pope is big and looks strong, big things coming from this guy."- "Pope moves well for his size, using strength to rip by Gerald Hayes to break to the next level."- "Pope shows his speed against Rolle coming across the middle. Look for that play to be effective this season, its fast and will gain decent yardage."Where did you hear that Pope wasn't looking good?
910 AM Radio about 8:30 A.M. Bickley and MJ are reporting live from camp this week. I'd trust them before the fluff on AZ Central...but that's just me.Everybody knows he's big and quick...blocking effectiveness is what will be limiting his playing time.

Edge will lose it after about 4 weeks of running into defenders at the line of scrimmage.He never knew how good he had it in Indy.This team has talent at the skill positions, as is Fatso's MO, but his line SUCKS.Ask alot of good RB's how they do behind crap O lines.Barry Sanders not included of course.
I think people have begun to overeact to bad o-lines. Guys who put up good numbers behind what are considered sub-par lines in recent years include:Willis McGaheeDomanick DavisFred TaylorLadanian TomlinsonTiki BarberDeuce McAllisterAlso, lines sometimes show great improvement from year to year when there is cohesiveness and health on the line, even if there is not such great talent on the line. Washington comes to mind, for example. Similarly, good lines can collapse with a key injury or two - the NYJ and GBP are probably the poster-children for this sort of thing.Edge, btw, ran behind a line that was considered a superior pass-blocking line but only an average run-blcoking line. I don't know that he's going to have 1500 yards, but I would be shocked if he didn't have 1200 yards rushing at least.

I watched Pope all through his years at UGA (watched pretty much every game), this guy is an animal.

He's 6'8" and built like nobody I've seen, throw in the fact that at that size, I saw him leap over a safety after catching and turning around to run down field during a game...he's got agility.

He would bring down nearly any ball David Green or DJ Shockley would hurl his way, he ended up becoming both of their 3rd down safety net.

He is a pure talent.

If I remember correctly, he currently owns the UGA bench press record. (I know he owns a record, I think it's bench press)

When you throw names like Richard Seymour, Boss Bailey (LB), Marcus Stroud, etc...mainly D Linemen, it's hard to believe a TE would overtake these guys.

He'll be starting, it's just a matter of time.

I watched Randy McMicheal and Big Ben Watson come through the TE ranks at UGA, Pope is a better talent than these two...of course these guys already are starting NFL TE's.

910 AM Radio about 8:30 A.M. Bickley and MJ are reporting live from camp this week. I'd trust them before the fluff on AZ Central...but that's just me.Everybody knows he's big and quick...blocking effectiveness is what will be limiting his playing time.
Bickley and MJ make my ears bleed. I've put them on briefly this week during my morning drive listening for Cards news, but they've been talking about everything but. Not sure that I consider them an authorative source. (For my money Bob Kemp is the guy in the know on AZ radio.)I think its way too early to make a call about Pope yet. Haven't read much about his blocking, though he did let an easy pass bounce off his hands this morning.

Clayton wrote up cardinals camp observations on ESPN. It was an insider article, so I can't repost, but someone on the Cards board paraphrased one of his points as:

Pope is an offensive threat and a talented athlete and should help the Cards in the red zone, but they still don't know how good of a blocker he'll be. Clayton says he won't start yet but to expect him in the starting lineup sometime during the season.

I believe Pope will turn out to be a better player than Marcedes Lewis. Here's how I would rank the rookie TEs (NFL, not FF):

TIER I

1 - Vernon Davis SFO

2 - Tony Scheffler DEN

TIER II

3 - Anthony Fasano DAL

4 - Leonard Pope ARI

5 - Marcedes Lewis JAC

TIER III

6 - Joe Klopfenstein STL

7 - Dominique Byrd STL

8 - Dave Thomas NEP

9 - Owen Daniels HOU

Again, these are NFL rankings (without FF dynamics factored in).

Clayton wrote up cardinals camp observations on ESPN. It was an insider article, so I can't repost, but someone on the Cards board paraphrased one of his points as:

Pope is an offensive threat and a talented athlete and should help the Cards in the red zone, but they still don't know how good of a blocker he'll be. Clayton says he won't start yet but to expect him in the starting lineup sometime during the season.
So it sounds like the 910 guys and Clayton are on the same page.I have the ESPN access, I think I'll check that out right now. :thumbup:

One other note, I posted this in the Cards training camp thread. Green was interviewed on the radio this afternoon and said the following with regard to the TE position:

would like one guy to be clear cut starter - for the 3WR

2nd TE to be the guy in the 2TE set

Pope is gonna have to win the starting spot from the other 2 guys, because they dont want to give it up

Pope is improving

Users who are viewing this thread