What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Awkward Situation at the Gym (1 Viewer)

worrierking

Footballguy
For the last several weeks I've been dealing with a difficult situation at the gym--a serial grunter. He shows up every time I am there and grunts loudly when lifting weights. Typically, in my experience, most grunters are in the free weight section and are muscleheads, who may have earned the right to grunt while attempting a new PR on the bench press. This guy, however, is on the weight machines with us skinny people and has no such privilege.

He grunts so loudly that I can hear him over my music on my headphones, including "Alex Chilton" by The Replacements played at ear drum-melting volume.

He does not sound especially macho when he grunts. In fact, his audible emissions sound less like a charging bull or an enraged ox, and more closely resemble Robin Gibb in "Stayin' Alive" (Ah! Ha! Ha! Ha!), Madonna at the end of "Material Girl," or Cyndi Lauper in "She Bop."

I am hoping he is one of the New Year's resolution exercisers who will quit showing up by Valentine's Day. If not, I have prepared an anonymous note for him to alert him to the situation and offer a polite and workable solution:

Dear Rupert Grunt:

On behalf of the entire gym community, please stop grunting. Better yet, stay home, light some aromatherapy candles, turn on some Enya music and do an online yoga class on Youtube. You can grunt every time you assume the Lotus position.

Yours Truly,
Anonymous

If you make a habit of grunting loudly enough on machines (let alone free-weights) that you're audible over headphones, you're a serious putz. :lol:

Guy likely uses bar wraps for 20% of body weight deadlifts, if he was man enough to step up to free weights, that is.

Last edited:
Dear Rupert Grunt:

On behalf of the entire gym community, please stop grunting. Better yet, stay home, light some aromatherapy candles, turn on some Enya music and do an online yoga class on Youtube. You can grunt every time you assume the Lotus position.

Yours Truly,
Anonymous
If he gets that one of two things happen, you never see him again or he's there everyday grunting like Monica Seles.

My favorites are the people that feel the need to schlep big gym bags around the gym (especially around the circuit equipment) even though gym policy specifically says “no gym bags on floor”. Some of them leave their #### around equipment like place holders or saving it exclusively for them for later. WTF?

When I was in college, the worst people to me were the ones who would always drop the weights on circuit equipment. I mean from the top/end. Wear and tear on equipment is real, people

My favorites are the people that feel the need to schlep big gym bags around the gym (especially around the circuit equipment) even though gym policy specifically says “no gym bags on floor”. Some of them leave their #### around equipment like place holders or saving it exclusively for them for later. WTF?
Yeah I've never understood this and it's been a constant phenomenon since I've been going to various gyms in various states since the mid-90s. Usually these same people have massive water jug(s) (that they never seem to drink from) and like 18 straps that they never actually use. Makes no sense to me other than these people have some irrational phobia of lockers and water fountains.

As to the OP, the grunting wouldn't be a big deal but I trust that it's loud enough and consistent enough that it disrupts your workout. I'd probably make a quiet complaint with management (I imagine it's the same worker(s) on duty during your regular times and they may have heard it, too) and ask them to ask him to stop.

FWIW I worked the front desk of a gym as a part-time job through most of high school and these sorts of complaints weren't uncommon and, as staff, we didn't take issue with addressing them.

I personally want to kill the slammers. I mean, do you really need to let the entire stack slam on the last rep on every freakin machine?

Users who are viewing this thread