What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auction Strategy (1 Viewer)

bleachercreacher

Footballguy
I searched the other auction threads and I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. I'm preparing for a local auction redraft league that I play in. It is an IDP league, and in previous years I have left too much on the table for my IDP players. We have a $320 cap, and the top defensive players usually go for around $30, but there is a steep decline after these go. I'm going into this season budeting just $1 per IDP player and plan on also spending any other money that doesn't get spent on my offense here. This is going to free up a lot of money I usually budget for defense on offense, and should still land me a middle of the pack defense. It seems that in previous years that the top offensive players go for under the FBG projected money. For my league this year FBG has the top RB at $75 and he has gone for $62 in previous years. Drew Brees is at $73 (high QB scoring) and the top QB generally goes for $45. After the top two tiers of players go off the board for under their projected value the next few tiers go for well more than they should. They are at least at their value, but most of the time $10 more while guys are reaching to fill out their rosters. Is there anyway to adjust my values in draft dominator to reflect this?

In years past I've tried to save money for the end and budget, but after going over the last 3 years I think the best option is to attempt to get the top tier guys at every position at a bargain. I won't have much left on my bench, but I could end up with a starting offensive lineup of all tier one guys and look to fill in backups throughout the season. What would you do in this situation? I don't see why I would get someone like Chris Wells for $40 when I could get Peterson or MJD for $50.

I searched the other auction threads and I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. I'm preparing for a local auction redraft league that I play in. It is an IDP league, and in previous years I have left too much on the table for my IDP players. We have a $320 cap, and the top defensive players usually go for around $30, but there is a steep decline after these go. I'm going into this season budeting just $1 per IDP player and plan on also spending any other money that doesn't get spent on my offense here. This is going to free up a lot of money I usually budget for defense on offense, and should still land me a middle of the pack defense. It seems that in previous years that the top offensive players go for under the FBG projected money. For my league this year FBG has the top RB at $75 and he has gone for $62 in previous years. Drew Brees is at $73 (high QB scoring) and the top QB generally goes for $45. After the top two tiers of players go off the board for under their projected value the next few tiers go for well more than they should. They are at least at their value, but most of the time $10 more while guys are reaching to fill out their rosters. Is there anyway to adjust my values in draft dominator to reflect this? In years past I've tried to save money for the end and budget, but after going over the last 3 years I think the best option is to attempt to get the top tier guys at every position at a bargain. I won't have much left on my bench, but I could end up with a starting offensive lineup of all tier one guys and look to fill in backups throughout the season. What would you do in this situation? I don't see why I would get someone like Chris Wells for $40 when I could get Peterson or MJD for $50.
So your strategy, stay with me for a moment, is to buy good players cheap. Totally unique.Spend on guys you want. If you want to skimp on IDP, do so. Don't worry about whether ADP is a good value at $62 when MJD went for $60 if ADP is really the guy you want.

I searched the other auction threads and I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. I'm preparing for a local auction redraft league that I play in. It is an IDP league, and in previous years I have left too much on the table for my IDP players. We have a $320 cap, and the top defensive players usually go for around $30, but there is a steep decline after these go. I'm going into this season budeting just $1 per IDP player and plan on also spending any other money that doesn't get spent on my offense here. This is going to free up a lot of money I usually budget for defense on offense, and should still land me a middle of the pack defense. It seems that in previous years that the top offensive players go for under the FBG projected money. For my league this year FBG has the top RB at $75 and he has gone for $62 in previous years. Drew Brees is at $73 (high QB scoring) and the top QB generally goes for $45. After the top two tiers of players go off the board for under their projected value the next few tiers go for well more than they should. They are at least at their value, but most of the time $10 more while guys are reaching to fill out their rosters. Is there anyway to adjust my values in draft dominator to reflect this? In years past I've tried to save money for the end and budget, but after going over the last 3 years I think the best option is to attempt to get the top tier guys at every position at a bargain. I won't have much left on my bench, but I could end up with a starting offensive lineup of all tier one guys and look to fill in backups throughout the season. What would you do in this situation? I don't see why I would get someone like Chris Wells for $40 when I could get Peterson or MJD for $50.
From the prices you mentioned, I would definitely go for the late IDPs. One thing you can consider though... if it's worth budgeting $2 for most of the IDP slots instead of $1. $2 is very powerful when everyone is low on money. Someone else puts the best available IDP up for $1... if you only budgeted $1 and everyone else only has $1, he gets him for $1. If you have $2, you bid him up and you either get him, or you forced that guy to bid $3 to keep him which triples his cost.One thing that I have done in my IDP leagues is I go and look at past seasons year end rosters and see just how many IDPs that were on rosters at the end of the year came from waivers. In a 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB leagues I've found that around 50-60% of IDPs on rosters came from waivers at some point (including players who were drafted then cut and picked back up). As a result of that I tend to take IDPs very late in those leagues and focus instead on the skill positions that will be more depleted by the draft.

Never spend more than the minimum on IDP players. The point dropoff between the top 12 at each position isn't that great. Especially when you average the difference over the entire season. Knowing your league's spending history is the best thing that you could use to predict player values. Although I love FBGs resources, I haven't seen a reliable auction tool. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread