What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Attempting to Drive from RI to Kansas in 24 hours today (1 Viewer)

My son and I are going to drive from RI to Kansas (New Century, KS) for futsal. Planning on leaving at 1pm today, a little worried about CT Beach traffic and NYC slowing us down. I haven't really planned a route, rest spots, or much of anything. Figured just rock the waze and go west. We booked a hotel for a Monday 3pm check in In Overlord Park area.

I will recharge the ez pass now. My AAA expired, I should probably sign back up. I think I have free Acura road side assistance with the new ride. My son is only 18 and doesn't have tons of unknown highway driving experience, so I may try to do it all. If I can find a flat easy four hour stretch to let him drive I can nap. I'm thinking Tennessee or Indiana depending on where we end up. I drove to STL and Memphis when URI hoop was in the tournament back in the 90's.

Can you sleep in the Mc'ds rest stops usually? They are always so busy and loud.

If anyone has any advice or anything it would be much appreciated. I'll update every time we get gas if I remember.

Put The Wall on shuffle for the whole trip.
:goodposting:

90 in Pennsylvania must have had fifty deer about to run on the road in front of me. My acura lights catch their eyes every time. Scary.

90 in Ohio is horrible, construction everywhere and narrow roads where you can rock 70mph. Near Kent State now I guess. 12 hours to go, I have been driving almost 12 hours now myself. Son can't fall asleep for some reason. This is gonna get interesting when the sun comes up.

My son and I are going to drive from RI to Kansas (New Century, KS) for futsal. Planning on leaving at 1pm today, a little worried about CT Beach traffic and NYC slowing us down. I haven't really planned a route, rest spots, or much of anything. Figured just rock the waze and go west. We booked a hotel for a Monday 3pm check in In Overlord Park area.
This is where I live. (I assume you mean Overland Park. Though I consider myself the Overlord of the area). :lol:

Where is the tournament going to be?
overlord park has a significantly more ominous sound take that to the bank brohans

Anyone have any advice if I need to crash in the car for a couple of hours. If everything stays true, I'm 13-14 hours until indy. I should probably power nap just before that if possible. It will be like 2-3am. Thoughts?

Would like to avoid the seven minute ab guy at a rest stop. Can you still sleep in Walmart lots? Seems scary fwiw.
Most Walmarts allow overnight parking, if you want to be sure you can call ahead and ask them, they have a 1 night rule. Some have banned it because the van life/vagabond crowd took advantage of it and set up camp for days at a time. Truck stops usually allow it, and I believe Cracker Barrels do too. If you are concerned about safety just park near another RV or semi, safety in numbers. Walmart usually has a security patrol and good lighting. I have napped there outside of Denver, SLC, and Tucson on cross country drives and never had any issues other than it being hot as balls in Tucson.

One thing I learned from watching Cannonball videos is do not speed through Ohio, they make a living off of ticketing out of state plates.
if you stop at a parnera you could get a tasty and healthy meal and a nap and that is a good news double wammy right there take that to the bank bromigos

I did delaware to OK once. It was awful. Made it to the CA border the next day. Also awful. Had to get a hotel room and sleep couldnt do the bit to LA. This was all in a u haul. Awful. Never again.

i drove from milwaukee to tidewater virginia once in about 13 hours i left after rush hour at night and then drove straight through the nite this was long before semis had governors on them so id tuck in behind one of them going about 75 and just draft for hours off of them i would get two coffees one on ice that id chug and another hot one by time time i got through the ice one the hot one was cool enough to drink and by the time i needed gas id also need to get rid of the old coffee and i would rinse and repeat all night becuase it was so late i missed all the traffic in chicago indy and cincy and there isnt much that stops you on 64 after lexington so away i went take that to the bank brohans

Still four and a half hours of driving. We had to keep stopping for caffeine. I am struggling. One hour sleep, maybe.

In Greenville....Illinois? On the way to STL. Indiana is awful btw

Still four and a half hours of driving. We had to keep stopping for caffeine. I am struggling. One hour sleep, maybe.

Home stretch. You got this. Good luck with that STL traffic!

i drove from milwaukee to tidewater virginia once in about 13 hours i left after rush hour at night and then drove straight through the nite this was long before semis had governors on them so id tuck in behind one of them going about 75 and just draft for hours off of them i would get two coffees one on ice that id chug and another hot one by time time i got through the ice one the hot one was cool enough to drink and by the time i needed gas id also need to get rid of the old coffee and i would rinse and repeat all night becuase it was so late i missed all the traffic in chicago indy and cincy and there isnt much that stops you on 64 after lexington so away i went take that to the bank brohans
Why was the song Radar Love playing in my mind as I read this

Why was the song Radar Love playing in my mind as I read this
because it came on after looking glass brandy thats why take that to the bank bromigos

if you have kwik trips down there get you some bublrs they have a coffee worth of caffine but they go down like candy water green is the best by like a million miles take that to the bank bromigo

Indiana is awful btw
You gonna look back in longing at the colorful thrill a minute rollercoaster that Indiana was, once you get to Kansas my friend.

Eastern Kansas isn't great, but at least it's generally green and a has a few hills and trees. Western Kansas is the worst. You know 20 miles before you get to a town, because you can see a clump of trees with a water tower in the middle. Surrounded by flat nothing.

if you have kwik trips down there get you some bublrs they have a coffee worth of caffine but they go down like candy water green is the best by like a million miles take that to the bank bromigo
more of a purple or baby blue man, myself.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

Home stretch. You got this. Good luck with that STL traffic!
There was an accident, but moving right along. Three hours to go.
You must have been on I-70 between St. Louis and KC.

So you drove through Effingham, IL
We always try to eat at local establishments when we travel if we have time. Ate at a diner/family restaurant in Effingham several years ago. I remember a lot of farmer type people there that evening.

We always try to eat at local establishments when we travel if we have time. Ate at a diner/family restaurant in Effingham several years ago. I remember a lot of farmer type people there that evening.
We passed through quickly. FINALLY arrived at the hotel at 6:45. Some lady pulled across four lanes of highway after getting on and stopped her Benz suv dead in the high speed lane right in front of me in Kansas. Thank god I was driving. My son would have plowed right into her. I scanned behind me and didn't lock up before changing lanes inches from her. Oof.

And why are the Kansas highways like Nascar tracks. No railings on the insides, huge banks of concrete everywhere, and they are like all double wide. Wtf?

We passed through quickly. FINALLY arrived at the hotel at 6:45. Some lady pulled across four lanes of highway after getting on and stopped her Benz suv dead in the high speed lane right in front of me in Kansas. Thank god I was driving. My son would have plowed right into her. I scanned behind me and didn't lock up before changing lanes inches from her. Oof.

And why are the Kansas highways like Nascar tracks. No railings on the insides, huge banks of concrete everywhere, and they are like all double wide. Wtf?
We like to draft here. Better for gas mileage.

I drove through STL of course. As soon as I crossed.the river, it was like playing Mario Kart. All kinds of junk, dead animals, and blown tires EVERYWHERE. I HAD TO SWERVE TO AVOID AN ALLUMINUM LADDER THAT HAD OBVIOUSLY BEEN THERE FOR WEEKS BASED ON THE DAMAGE. The people used the turn signals mostly, but what awful drivers (and people walking in the roads!) Overall. Don't remember who brought that up but WOW. And the infrastructure is CRUMBLING up on those highway bridges.

I drove through STL of course. As soon as I crossed.the river, it was like playing Mario Kart. All kinds of junk, dead animals, and blown tires EVERYWHERE. I HAD TO SWERVE TO AVOID AN ALLUMINUM LADDER THAT HAD OBVIOUSLY BEEN THERE FOR WEEKS BASED ON THE DAMAGE. The people used the turn signals mostly, but what awful drivers (and people walking in the roads!) Overall. Don't remember who brought that up but WOW. And the infrastructure is CRUMBLING up on those highway bridges.
That’s Missouri for you.

Indiana is awful btw
Worst state I've driven through. I once ended up driving a rental through France. So much of France reminds me of driving through Indiana. Terribly boring.
The midwest is a rough stretch to drive on the highways, sorry midwesterners, although 5 in California is no thrill either

Kansas is the worst state to drive though IMO, never feels like its gonna end

Indiana is awful btw
Worst state I've driven through. I once ended up driving a rental through France. So much of France reminds me of driving through Indiana. Terribly boring.
The midwest is a rough stretch to drive on the highways, sorry midwesterners, although 5 in California is no thrill either

Indiana and Pennsylvania like that for me.

Indiana is awful btw

I take it you've never tried driving a few mphs over the speed limit in the left hand lane in Wisconsin before as two Wisconsin drivers driving at 10 and 2 parallel to one another with both cruises set below the speed limit before.

Anyone have any advice if I need to crash in the car for a couple of hours. If everything stays true, I'm 13-14 hours until indy. I should probably power nap just before that if possible. It will be like 2-3am. Thoughts?

Would like to avoid the seven minute ab guy at a rest stop. Can you still sleep in Walmart lots? Seems scary fwiw.
Most Walmarts allow overnight parking, if you want to be sure you can call ahead and ask them, they have a 1 night rule. Some have banned it because the van life/vagabond crowd took advantage of it and set up camp for days at a time. Truck stops usually allow it, and I believe Cracker Barrels do too. If you are concerned about safety just park near another RV or semi, safety in numbers. Walmart usually has a security patrol and good lighting. I have napped there outside of Denver, SLC, and Tucson on cross country drives and never had any issues other than it being hot as balls in Tucson.

One thing I learned from watching Cannonball videos is do not speed through Ohio, they make a living off of ticketing out of state plates.
if you stop at a parnera you could get a tasty and healthy meal and a nap and that is a good news double wammy right there take that to the bank bromigos
:no:

Panera is surprisingly very unhealthy.

Indiana is awful btw

You've never drive through western nebraska, have you?

Users who are viewing this thread