What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arrested Development (1 Viewer)

I'm shocked that every one has enjoyed season 4 as much as they have. I thought the plot lines were too outlandish and the show lost the chemistry of having the whole crew working together. Michael became a nut job, GOB is gay, Lindsey can't move her face, the minor characters can't carry a show themselves. I still give it a B- but it's not the same as season 1-2, and really it couldn't be. The actors are 9 years older and most importantly the writing crew has changed. Most of the guest celebrities were really unnecessary. The George and Lucille flashbacks were stupid, Ron Howard should have stuck to narrating. Pretty disappointing.
1st of all, the outlandishness is always part and partial. No there has been not real change for Michael... you clearly did not get the GOB-Tony-Gay bits then if you think the humor is just about "gay."
Exactly. This is a show where the main characters once tried to fool Japanese investors into thinking a housing development was finished using a toy train set ("God knows they're squinters!"), only to have the plan backfire when my namesake, wearing a giant mole costume, did battle with another character wearing a poorly functioning jetpack and destroyed the tiny town in the process, which the Japanese took as mocking their culture's love of Godzilla type movies. If you're disappointed by outlandish plot lines, maybe this isn't the show for you in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked that every one has enjoyed season 4 as much as they have. I thought the plot lines were too outlandish and the show lost the chemistry of having the whole crew working together. Michael became a nut job, GOB is gay, Lindsey can't move her face, the minor characters can't carry a show themselves. I still give it a B- but it's not the same as season 1-2, and really it couldn't be. The actors are 9 years older and most importantly the writing crew has changed. Most of the guest celebrities were really unnecessary. The George and Lucille flashbacks were stupid, Ron Howard should have stuck to narrating. Pretty disappointing.
1st of all, the outlandishness is always part and partial. No there has been not real change for Michael... you clearly did not get the GOB-Tony-Gay bits then if you think the humor is just about "gay."
Exactly. This is a show where the main characters once tried to fool Japanese investors into thinking a housing development was finished using a toy train set ("God knows they're squinters!"), only to have the plan backfire when my namesake, wearing a giant mole costume, did battle with another character wearing a poorly functioning jetpack and destroyed the tiny town in the process, which the Japanese took as mocking their culture's love of Godzilla type movies. If you're disappointed by outlandish plot lines, maybe this isn't the show for you in the first place.
I haven't seen season 4 yet but that scene was brilliantly set up. There were better jokes and one liners but for an overall scene, nothing had me in tears laughing more than that one.

Got through 7 episodes and we have stopped. The show is a shell of its formal self. The writing is terrible and obvious and we are hard core AD fans. I would put the first 3 seasons in my top 3 shows ever list. I can't tolerate this season...its a travesty.
:lmao:

I'm starting the rewatch now, which is particularly rewarding considering how many mysteries are left unresolved after the season. Close watching of the episodes provide a lot of clues at what has happened. For instance:

What happened to Lucille2. In the first episode, when Michael returns to the model home after the Quatro celebrations, he has changed into a shirt from the banana stand. He wasn't wearing it earlier in the night. We're meant to assume that Michael's regret is making a pass out of Lucille, but I think he he stashed an injured and bleeding Lucille in the banana stand (a quick check of the TWOP forums shows this to be a popular theory). And of course, because Gob makes him take a Forget-Me-Now, Michael might have no idea he's even done it.
While I don't think the show is as funny on an episode by episode basis, the formal invention of this season is truly staggering. It really is a novel in television form, and a very intricate one. Arguably, it's just the first half of a novel in television form.

I think my favorite scene was the one I referenced earlier where Michael and Tobias meet Ron Howard. The way David Cross delivered the "Her lover?" line while Michael was trying to stammer his way out of the mess had me rolling.

I watched all three seasons for the first time, over the last few weeks.

Seasons 1 and 2 were tremendous. On par with Seinfeld. I think there was a significant dropoff in Season 3. Not to say it was bad, but it certainly was not on par with seasons 1-2.

Last night, I watched the first two episodes of Season 4, and am disappointed. I was debating whether to continue, but the consensus here seems to be that it picks up steam, so I'll give it another shot.

I put it down a few weeks back after the MF episode. Strangely I haven't really tried to prioritize finishing out the string here. I doubt I'll rewatch right away. I figure Netflix got my 9 bucks and I'll cancel it at the end of the month.

I would honestly just skip the first 3 eps and start at ep4 and circle back to 1,2,3 if you are compelled. eps 1-3 start off on such a low that it is tough to really rally from.

I really don't doubt that it gets better and that there are moments that I'd enjoy but damn. This isn't the usual suspects where I care about some dots connecting 6 hours into a season. It's a comedy. When joke after joke are falling flat it has a cumulative effect and I start to not even enjoy the good ones. But hey...that's just me. :shrug:

Te whole concept of things tying together was annoying imo.when i watch a comedy, i wanna laugh. Not try to figure out how things piece together and have aha moments.

Bateman gets emmy nod: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/emmys-2013-kevin-spacey-jeff-daniels-among-first-nominees-announced-104126

I've only gotten through the first 3 eps so far and honestly, I'm underwhelmed. Does it get better?
It does but doesn't get to where you want/expect it to be.
Yup, because it gets past what was wanted and expected. Best comedy to come out this year.
Same!

Bateman gets emmy nod: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/emmys-2013-kevin-spacey-jeff-daniels-among-first-nominees-announced-104126

I've only gotten through the first 3 eps so far and honestly, I'm underwhelmed. Does it get better?
It does but doesn't get to where you want/expect it to be.
Yup, because it gets past what was wanted and expected. Best comedy to come out this year.
Same!
:lmao:

Am I crazy, or the last episode clearly referenced that there wouldn't be a movie...or is that part of the joke :shrug:

To be fair, I never watched it when it was on and just recently went to through every episdoe...so maybe I missed something.

The GOB/Wonder "same" episode was freaking awesome

Am I crazy, or the last episode clearly referenced that there wouldn't be a movie...or is that part of the joke :shrug:

To be fair, I never watched it when it was on and just recently went to through every episdoe...so maybe I missed something.

At the end of season 3, Maebe is pitching Ron Howard on a television series based on the Bluths. Ron counters with "Maybe a movie?"

Given that they came back with a TV show, they reversed the joke in Season 4.

kupcho1 said:
Tiger Fan said:

At the end of season 3, Maebe is pitching Ron Howard on a television series based on the Bluths. Ron counters with "Maybe a movie?"

Given that they came back with a TV show, they reversed the joke in Season 4.
I guess I thought what you refer to as "reversing the joke" was more of closure saying that b/c the series got brought back, there was no need to make the movie anymore (like what had been rumoured for so long). You're probably right...just how I interpreted it

We need a Mock Trial with J. Reinhold and the William Hung jury to settle this FFA slander issue once and for all.

Any confidence this will actually be funny this time?

Rewatched a ton of episodes recently from S1/2 still so epic.
I loved the first 3 seasons. Watch them over and over. I watched the first two episodes of season 4 and didn't really like it. But then I forced myself to just finish it and it was actually on par with the other seasons. Very funny.

I will say that during the whole 4th season I kept saying, "I can't wait to see how they wrap this all together" because it was so well intertwined. Sadly, at the end, it didn't really tie it together. That was my only complaint after watching the whole season.

sounds great, but honestly I couldn't get though the first 3 episodes of the "new" season. It was a super let down b/c i was so excited to have it back. Maybe I need to give it another try, but I was disappointed in it.
I've mentioned this to someone else in this thread, I think, but I felt the same way. Watched 3 episodes and thought it was horrible. Like the worst. Came back about 4 months later and started watching from the beginning again to give it another chance. And for some reason, it all started to click. I loved the last season except that they didn't do a really good job wrapping it up. But it was amazingly funny. I'd say give it another shot.

While it was inventive to try to have a season where we see everyone's over-lapping point of view of the same events, I don't think it played to what is a major strength of the show, which is the interaction between the characters and the excellent ensemble cast. If they go back to a more traditional sitcom format for this new season, I'll have higher hopes that it will once again be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds great, but honestly I couldn't get though the first 3 episodes of the "new" season. It was a super let down b/c i was so excited to have it back. Maybe I need to give it another try, but I was disappointed in it.
The first three episodes are the hardest to get through. The further you go the more you see the jokes that refer to other things from the season and connect back to previous episodes. Watching earlier episodes to see what they called back in season 4 is also hilarious.

Just watched the series again for the 3rd or 4th time. Still hilarious. The Netflix season was better the second time through.

Is that officially the end of the show?

Just watched the series again for the 3rd or 4th time. Still hilarious. The Netflix season was better the second time through.

Is that officially the end of the show?
i don't know what the latest developments are, but if you look at the post directly above yours, there is a link that says that there will be more.

Users who are viewing this thread