What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arian Foster wants to be on the Madden 13 cover (1 Viewer)

eNdblu

Footballguy
ArianFoster 8:39am via EchofonIf you believe in superstition, then we're all gonna die in December 2012 anyway right? Vote me on the damn Madden cover. #reversethecurse
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/madden2013coverCurrently in the Sweet 16Cam vs Gates McCoy vs Fitz Willis vs MJD Revis vs Cruz Rodgers vs LynchRice vs BreesMegatron vs FosterAllen vs GronkOne of the funniest results from the first round was Janikowski getting 36% of the votes against MJD... lol. Foster (54%) edged out Tebow (46%)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd vote for Calvin anyway based on his season in 2011: 96/1681/16 and undeniably the most dominant WR in the NFL right now.

In answer to the subquestion - YES, I always vote for players on other people's teams and never my own. :tinfoilhat:

I'm voting for Arian Foster. I would really like to see him get the cover...(Tate dynasty owner :unsure: )

Most unwise. Lots of fun and i love the guy. But unwise.

No surer curse in all of sports than the Madden cover.

J

Yeah, except for the fact that it's complete hogwash. In the past four years, five players have been on the cover, and four of them have played full seasons. Three of those were QBs who led their teams to the playoffs (Young, Favre, and Brees). Does the Madden Curse now mean that you'll break one of the most long-standing records in football, like Brees did in 2011? Good for Foster.

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
Yeah, except for the fact that it's complete hogwash. In the past four years, five players have been on the cover, and four of them have played full seasons. Three of those were QBs who led their teams to the playoffs (Young, Favre, and Brees). Does the Madden Curse now mean that you'll break one of the most long-standing records in football, like Brees did in 2011? Good for Foster.
I dunno Cal Bear. I'm a believer.http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/is-the-madden-curse-real-lets-look-at-the-history
Is the curse real? Let’s take a look at the previous cover stars2011: New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees. Had a strong season individually, but the Saints were upset by the Seahawks in the first round of the playoffs and failed to defend their Super Bowl title.2010: Pittsburgh Steelers safety TroIy Polamalu/ Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Polamalu only played five games because on lingering knee injures and the Steelers missed the playoffs a year after winning the Super Bowl. Fitzgerald still hada strong season, collecting over 1,000 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns.2009: Brett Favre. He was traded to the New York Jets after an off-season battle with the Green Bay Packers, following his retirement, then un-retirement. He started strong, but faded down the stretch and the Jets failed to make the playoffs. His final three seasons were inconsistent and he also went through off-the-field issues.2008: Tennessee Titans running back Vince Young. He led the Titans to their first playoff appearance in four years, but has fallen out of favor with the franchise since that season. The organization plans to cut or trade Young once the lockout is lifted.2007: Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander. A fractured foot hobbled Alexander, the reigning MVP, throughout the season and he missed six games. His production declined and he never returned to his MVP-form.2006: Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. He missed seven games during the season after dealing with a sports hernia. He failed to make the Pro-Bowl for the first time in five seasons and has not been invited since. McNabb also battled with wideout Terrell Owens throughout the season.2005: Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. A broken wrist caused him to miss one game during the season, and it was also his first year without an interception.2004: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick. He broke his leg in a pre-season game one day after the game was released and missed 11 games that season. He then had a few off-the-field issues in the years that followed.2003: St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk. He was hampered by an ankle injury all season, and failed to match his production from previous seasons. His decline started after appearing on the Madden cover and he never rushed for 1,000 yards again.2002: Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Struggled all season, and had his season cut short with knee surgery after 11 games. The Vikings were 4-7 at that point.2001: Tennessee Titans running back Eddie George. He had a great season, but fumbled at a clutch point in the playoffs, which led to the top-seeded Titans losing to the Baltimore Ravens in the first round.2000: Detroit running back Barry Sanders. He unexpectedly retired one week before training came by sending a fax to the team.

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
I dunno Cal Bear. I'm a believer.http://www.newsnet5....-at-the-history
Yeah, it's called "confirmation bias."

And not to mention Peyton Hillis last season.J

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
I dunno Cal Bear. I'm a believer.http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/is-the-madden-curse-real-lets-look-at-the-history
Is the curse real? Let’s take a look at the previous cover stars2011: New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees. Had a strong season individually, but the Saints were upset by the Seahawks in the first round of the playoffs and failed to defend their Super Bowl title.2010: Pittsburgh Steelers safety TroIy Polamalu/ Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Polamalu only played five games because on lingering knee injures and the Steelers missed the playoffs a year after winning the Super Bowl. Fitzgerald still hada strong season, collecting over 1,000 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns.2009: Brett Favre. He was traded to the New York Jets after an off-season battle with the Green Bay Packers, following his retirement, then un-retirement. He started strong, but faded down the stretch and the Jets failed to make the playoffs. His final three seasons were inconsistent and he also went through off-the-field issues.2008: Tennessee Titans running back Vince Young. He led the Titans to their first playoff appearance in four years, but has fallen out of favor with the franchise since that season. The organization plans to cut or trade Young once the lockout is lifted.2007: Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander. A fractured foot hobbled Alexander, the reigning MVP, throughout the season and he missed six games. His production declined and he never returned to his MVP-form.2006: Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. He missed seven games during the season after dealing with a sports hernia. He failed to make the Pro-Bowl for the first time in five seasons and has not been invited since. McNabb also battled with wideout Terrell Owens throughout the season.2005: Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. A broken wrist caused him to miss one game during the season, and it was also his first year without an interception.2004: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick. He broke his leg in a pre-season game one day after the game was released and missed 11 games that season. He then had a few off-the-field issues in the years that followed.2003: St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk. He was hampered by an ankle injury all season, and failed to match his production from previous seasons. His decline started after appearing on the Madden cover and he never rushed for 1,000 yards again.2002: Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Struggled all season, and had his season cut short with knee surgery after 11 games. The Vikings were 4-7 at that point.2001: Tennessee Titans running back Eddie George. He had a great season, but fumbled at a clutch point in the playoffs, which led to the top-seeded Titans losing to the Baltimore Ravens in the first round.2000: Detroit running back Barry Sanders. He unexpectedly retired one week before training came by sending a fax to the team.

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
I thought Hills was on the cover last year. Didn't Brees hurt his meniscus the year he was on the cover?

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
I thought Hills was on the cover last year. Didn't Brees hurt his meniscus the year he was on the cover?
Oh, you're right, Brees only threw for 4620 yards and 33 TDs the year he was on the cover. Better run away.

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
-Brees had by far his worst year as a Saint the year he was on the madden cover 22 INTs 90.9 QB rating7.02 yards per pass-Vince Young's Career literally went down the tubes after he was on the cover... can anyone really deny that? -Peyton Hillis went straight in the pooper-Brett Favre has been the only person to seemingly have a good year while on the Madden cover(of course he would break the trend)Calbear l I dont know how many times you've had this conversation, but judging by your tone I'd imagine a lot lol ... clearly its not logical to think something other-worldly is going on, but you have to admit its an impressive string of coincidences.

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
-Brees had by far his worst year as a Saint the year he was on the madden cover 22 INTs 90.9 QB rating7.02 yards per pass
Oh, please. Brees' 2010 season ranked at the time as #2 out of 5 seasons in NO in terms of passing yardage and #3 in TDs. If you're going to define the Madden Curse as "well, he's not likely to have the best season of his career when he's on the cover," then yes, there's obviously a Madden Curse. There's also a "signed a contract" curse, a "didn't sign a contract" curse, and a "had a latte at Starbucks" curse.
-Vince Young's Career literally went down the tubes after he was on the cover... can anyone really deny that?
The year he was on the cover he played the most games of any year of his career, threw for the most yardage of any year of his career, had the best completion percentage of his career. Yes, his career went downhill after that--and so did a whole lot of people who weren't on the Madden cover.
-Brett Favre has been the only person to seemingly have a good year while on the Madden cover(of course he would break the trend)
At least half a dozen players have had good years while on the Madden cover. To claim otherwise requires ridiculous mental gyrations like "Eddie George had a good regular season, but he fumbled in a playoff game."
Calbear l I dont know how many times you've had this conversation, but judging by your tone I'd imagine a lot lol ... clearly its not logical to think something other-worldly is going on, but you have to admit its an impressive string of coincidences.
No, I don't have to admit that, because it's not true. Football players get hurt all the time. Football players have seasons which weren't as good as their last season all the time. Of the top 10 RB/WR/QBs in any given year, what percentage of them have a season that's equally good in year N+1? I'd estimate less than 20%. So, if 80% of the people on Madden covers have seasons which weren't as good as their previous year, that's not coincidence, it's the expected result.

Arian Foster's Tweets on the Madden curse:

Arian Foster ‏ @ArianFoster If you believe in superstition, then we're all gonna die in December 2012 anyway right? Vote me on the damn Madden cover. #reversethecurse
Arian Foster ‏ @ArianFoster Eddie George, Larry Fittzgerald, Drew Brees. What do they have in common? Not effected by "the curse". #reversethecurse
Arian Foster ‏ @ArianFoster RT @MJE0103: The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses - Francis Bacon Sr.
https://twitter.com/#!/ArianFoster

Arian Foster's Tweets on the Madden curse:

Arian Foster ‏ @ArianFoster

If you believe in superstition, then we're all gonna die in December 2012 anyway right? Vote me on the damn Madden cover. #reversethecurse

Eddie George, Larry Fittzgerald, Drew Brees. What do they have in common? Not effected by "the curse". #reversethecurse

RT @MJE0103: The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses - Francis Bacon Sr.
https://twitter.com/#!/ArianFoster
I just bumped Foster on my draft list.

Curse is a curse, not necessarily an injury.

Tell Foster:

Fitz barely broke a 1000 yds (only 3 games over 100 yds)

he also left out Polamalu only played 5 games

Think the other players on the ballot are voting for Foster.

'CalBear said:
'Joe Bryant said:
-Brees had by far his worst year as a Saint the year he was on the madden cover 22 INTs

90.9 QB rating

7.02 yards per pass
Oh, please. Brees' 2010 season ranked at the time as #2 out of 5 seasons in NO in terms of passing yardage and #3 in TDs. If you're going to define the Madden Curse as "well, he's not likely to have the best season of his career when he's on the cover," then yes, there's obviously a Madden Curse. There's also a "signed a contract" curse, a "didn't sign a contract" curse, and a "had a latte at Starbucks" curse.
-Vince Young's Career literally went down the tubes after he was on the cover... can anyone really deny that?
The year he was on the cover he played the most games of any year of his career, threw for the most yardage of any year of his career, had the best completion percentage of his career. Yes, his career went downhill after that--and so did a whole lot of people who weren't on the Madden cover.
-Brett Favre has been the only person to seemingly have a good year while on the Madden cover(of course he would break the trend)
At least half a dozen players have had good years while on the Madden cover. To claim otherwise requires ridiculous mental gyrations like "Eddie George had a good regular season, but he fumbled in a playoff game."
Calbear l I dont know how many times you've had this conversation, but judging by your tone I'd imagine a lot lol ... clearly its not logical to think something other-worldly is going on, but you have to admit its an impressive string of coincidences.
No, I don't have to admit that, because it's not true. Football players get hurt all the time. Football players have seasons which weren't as good as their last season all the time. Of the top 10 RB/WR/QBs in any given year, what percentage of them have a season that's equally good in year N+1? I'd estimate less than 20%. So, if 80% of the people on Madden covers have seasons which weren't as good as their previous year, that's not coincidence, it's the expected result.
LOL 2012 Peyton Hillis absolutely sucked, horrible year.

2011 Drew Brees had a very below par year for him... a clear outlier from the past 4 years. if you dont agree, please, follow this link http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2580/drew-brees)

2010 I'll give you 50% on Fitzgerald... he had the worst non injury year of his career less than 1100 yards and 11.3 YPC ... but he still got 13 TDs

The only year in Troy Polamalu's career he played less than 11 games... he played 5 games!!!!!

2009 I mean you could talk about the sex scandal thats worse than sucking at football... but I understand this is just a biased way of looking for coincidences... so we wont count it

2008 I dont know what you were watching or talking about... but Vince Young threw 9 TDs and 17 INTs the year he was on the cover for Madden. Do you consider that a good year? I suppose he did stay healthy

2007 Shaun Alexander is a great example of dropping off a cliff http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexSh00.htm . From 1800 yards to 800. from 5.1 YPC to 3.6

2006 Donovan McNabb tore his ACL mid season... if not for that he was playing well... but his season got derailed...

2005 In Ray Lewis's 16 year career ... hes played 6 or less games twice ... 2/16= 13% . so the chances he got the madden cover on one of those outlier years is 13%. that is not a good chance, just so you know.

2004 wait... Michael Vick only played 5 games the year he was on the cover of madden? the only time (except his rookie year) he ever played less than 12 games in a season?

2003 Marshall faulk dropped under 1000 yards for the first time in 5 years. He also dropped to 4.5 YPC a significant drop from the three preceding years (5.3, 5.4, 5.5) . His YPC dropped to 6.7 the lowest of his career to that point.

2002 Daunte Culpepper regressed horribly from the year before.... but i suppose we wont count him because something catastrophic didn't happen.

2001 Ding Ding Ding you finally got one Eddie George had a good year.

you trying to argue that there is no correlation whatsoever is absolutely pathetic to me... I dont know why, thats just the word that comes to mind. In no way am I being biased or only looking at what I want to see.... its just so freaking obvious.... every single person regressed or got a season ending injury... every, single, one... you talked about how people are looking for the madden curse to be true so they do "mental Gyrations" to make themselves sound correct.... thats a crock of crap. look at what I just listed.... it is all right there... I dont even know how you can argue that. then you try to bring ridiculous statistics into it... please, enlighten me, what is the % that they bring in a player that regresses or gets a season ending injury 11 straight years?

you trying to argue that there is no correlation whatsoever is absolutely pathetic to me... I dont know why, thats just the word that comes to mind. In no way am I being biased or only looking at what I want to see.... its just so freaking obvious.... every single person regressed or got a season ending injury... every, single, one...
every...single...one...except...Eddie...George...and...Brett...Favre...and...anyone...else...we...decided...to...ignore....because ...they...didn't...fit...our...confirmation...bias.

you trying to argue that there is no correlation whatsoever is absolutely pathetic to me... I dont know why, thats just the word that comes to mind. In no way am I being biased or only looking at what I want to see.... its just so freaking obvious.... every single person regressed or got a season ending injury... every, single, one...
every...single...one...except...Eddie...George...and...Brett...Favre...and...anyone...else...we...decided...to...ignore....because ...they...didn't...fit...our...confirmation...bias.
so suddenly Vince Young isn't part of that conformation bias?

so suddenly Vince Young isn't part of that conformation bias?
I think Vince Young and Drew Brees and Larry Fitzgerald are all part of the confirmation bias. The original idiocy about the Madden Curse was that people who were on the cover got hurt. Once there were a bunch of people who didn't get hurt, people had to shift the meaning of the curse so as to fit better with their confirmation bias.

CalBear, are you hoping your favorite player gets on the cover? If so who is your favorite player and team so I can vote them up for you.

2010 I'll give you 50% on Fitzgerald... he had the worst non injury year of his career less than 1100 yards and 11.3 YPC ... but he still got 13 TDs
If curses exist, one would think that they would not be selective. If there was such a thing a real curse, it logically shouldn't be at half strength one year or miss a particular player - it would curse would everybody on the cover, not pick-and-choose. But Fitzgerald doesn't fit this superstitious narrative, so he is conviently ignored or it is always, "Well, yes, but look over here at Polamalu."

CalBear, are you hoping your favorite player gets on the cover? If so who is your favorite player and team so I can vote them up for you.
My favorite team should be obvious.My favorite player, I'd have to say Tony Gonzalez. In terms of who could plausibly be on the Madden cover, it'd have to be Aaron Rodgers.But I absolutely do not care who goes on the cover. In my view the Madden Curse was being forced to listen to that blowhard dimwit for years on Monday Night Football.

Foster's been defeated by Megatron

The elite eight

Newton vs Fitzgerald

Willis vs Cruz

Rodgers vs Rice

Megatron vs Gronkowski

Ray Rice BARELY edged out Drew Brees 51-49

Cam Newton continues to be the favourite in all of his match-ups, gaining over 80% of the votes each round

People, please stop voting for Cam Newton! I've been waiting for a good QB in Carolina since Steve Beuerlein...and now that we have it, I don't want to see it ruined so quickly.

If curses exist, one would think that they would not be selective. If there was such a thing a real curse, it logically shouldn't be at half strength one year or miss a particular player - it would curse would everybody on the cover, not pick-and-choose. But Fitzgerald doesn't fit this superstitious narrative, so he is conviently ignored or it is always, "Well, yes, but look over here at Polamalu."
Oh c'mon man! Everyone KNOWS the curse can only chose 1 player. When they did the split cover thing, the curse went full out on Polamalu. So obvious. :rolleyes: ;)

Users who are viewing this thread