What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you less interested in Dynasty Formats? (1 Viewer)

Concept Coop

Footballguy
The dynasty (format) momentum seems to have plateaued, at least. Likely due to the increasing popularity of weekly leagues--creating a more concentrated, short-term focus.

I base this mostly on Shark Pool and Twitter chat, and a declining level of activity in my dynasty leagues (chat, offers, etc.). Wondering if it's just me and my scope. It could also be the that the dynasty buzz is as strong as ever, just being lost in the increased short-term noise.

Anyone else notice or agree? Anyone finding themselves less interested or involved in the format this year?

ETA: It's hands down my format of choice. I'm not losing interest in it, but am wondering if the hobby as a whole is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dynasty requires a more hardcore owner and it's harder to keep running as you have to have owners committed to it. With redraft, you can lose a hack owners year after year and still find some guppie to steal money from.

I'm in one of each.

All this daily talk makes me more interested in keeper/dynasty leagues. Of course, it takes a lot more these days to parcel out the noise of daily leagues.

No longer have interest in them whatsoever. Experiences have just been a waste of time.

I've tried joining 4 different ones on this site. None of them lasted beyond 2 years. 3 of them didn't make past year 1. One of which ended before drafted even ended.

I'm in a good one and I love it, but it can still be a beating at times. I would probably feel different if I was a little better at it, but so much of my time is focused on daily and redraft that I can barely keep up

Have not done a redraft in years. My interest in dynasty and DFS now. I'm 2 dynasty leagues, both 16 teamers. The first is in its 15th year and I'm one of 5 original owners still in it. The other I took over a aging team half way thru last year. I do a few(3 this year) MFL10's just to get my drafting fix. Even though I probably spend more time on DFS during the season, I am still very active in my dynasty leagues both in and out of season.

No longer have interest in them whatsoever. Experiences have just been a waste of time.

I've tried joining 4 different ones on this site. None of them lasted beyond 2 years. 3 of them didn't make past year 1. One of which ended before drafted even ended.
5 of my 10 dynasty leagues have been going strong for over a decade.

The dynasty (format) momentum seems to have plateaued, at least. Likely due to the increasing popularity of weekly leagues--creating a more concentrated, short-term focus.

I base this mostly on Shark Pool and Twitter chat, and a declining level of activity in my dynasty leagues (chat, offers, etc.). Wondering if it's just me and my scope. It could also be the that the dynasty buzz is as strong as ever, just being lost in the increased short-term noise.

Anyone else notice or agree? Anyone finding themselves less interested or involved in the format this year?
Or people are in more and more leagues, decreasing their activity in each individual league

There's definitely less activity in my leagues, but I get the sense it's because people are joining more leagues and have less time/passion for each individual one. I know when I joined my first dynasty league I was very focused on trading/pickups. Now that I'm in four (with another 4 redrafts), I don't pay near as much time on one specific league. I may get around to trade development in a specific league once every few weeks, if that.

ETA: Yeah, what GG said.

ETA2: If anything, my interest in redraft leagues has decreased significantly. If it wasn't for keeping in communication with old friends, I'd dump my redrafts pronto.

Far more entertained by dynasty.

Trying to predict the various changes over seasons is the most compelling aspect to the whole fantasy experience for me at this point.

Not sure but when you lose half your team to injuries every year it makes daily more appealing......

I am in a handful of long-running dynasties and often wonder how people even attempt to play in redrafts (for several reasons).

It does seem that it is becoming harder to maintain good dynasty leagues, however. I think it is because the "old guard"....well, they got old. All those super passionate dynasty leaguers who were so charged up and part of pioneering dynasty leagues as we know it have all gotten married, had kids, go to soccer practice 6 times a week, take care of aging parents, etc. Meanwhile, the "young guard" are all being brought up on instant gratification and the "live in the present" daily leagues.

In general, the talent is dwindling because the older guys are phasing out and the younger guys don't have the knack for it. They have no idea how to switch the gears from daily to thinking in terms of "what will this QB develop into three years from now".

I'm probably stereotyping a bit but the past few years, every time we add a young guy to our dynasty leagues, he comes in spewing a mountain of stats and metrics, knows every player's middle name, professes that he plays in a dozen leagues, can multi-task to heaven's edge, but... within two years his dynasty team is in shambles and we are looking for someone to come in and try to breathe life into a team that is on death's door. Of course that leaves us with 4-5 great teams every year and a bunch of crappy ones, perpetuating the reluctance to get people into the leagues because the guys that WOULD make great owners look at it and know what type of work it will take and they decline.

The people who dont like the dynasty leagues have either never been in a good one, or are probably the kinds of people who make some dynasty leagues crappy

Only in 1 dynasty league but it's currently in its third full season and just now feels like we're getting our legs underneath us.

This has (by far) been the most active trading season in the history of the league, as owners are bored/disenfranchised with their initial rosters and draft picks.

Not sure but when you lose half your team to injuries every year it makes daily more appealing......
Sounds like the commercial
My aging grandfather, who knows NOTHING about fantasy sports, asked me what all these commercials were. I gave him a 30 second "101" on it all and he sat there for a moment and then said "When I was young, people respected people that got into something and stuck to it. Sounds like a bunch of quitters."

I had to laugh because, yes, he's glossing the whole topic but he does hit the nail on the head in the regard that there is something to be said about how the commitment lasts about as long as a "Netflix & Chill" event.

Or people are in more and more leagues, decreasing their activity in each individual league
That could certainly play a part, but it woudln't explain the decrease in conversation centered around it. The number of dynasty threads (and participation in existing threads) is down. Looking at the trade thread, for example, it was much more active last year.

11th year in ours. Seems like we have a good group of 10 guys. Every couple years we have to replace 1 or 2 in a 12 team league. If anyone is looking I can keep your email/name on file.

The people who dont like the dynasty leagues have either never been in a good one, or are probably the kinds of people who make some dynasty leagues crappy
I find that a lot of redraft owners are not cut out for dynasty leagues and usually end up quitting or getting booted. They are usually the less active owners who disappear for weeks except to submit a lineup and aren't very active on the waiver wire or trading. They are the Taco in "The League".

My interest is down this year, simply because I'm only in one dynasty league this year since a certain site I had some dynasty teams with is no longer above water. I would love to get into another, but at this stage it's going to have to be local.

It isn't easy to find dynasty leagues with stable ownerships year after year. I am in two that are and they are my favorite leagues.

I find that a lot of redraft owners are not cut out for dynasty leagues and usually end up quitting or getting booted. They are usually the less active owners who disappear for weeks except to submit a lineup and aren't very active on the waiver wire or trading. They are the Taco in "The League".
100%

My league is very top heavy 4 teams can win it all any year, 4 teams compete for the other 2 playoff spots, 3 are rebuilding the right way and it's taking awhile but getting better, and one guy is clueless.

I prefer no money dynasty leagues. I'm in a few hosted over at Zealots Field. You don't really have to worry about the trouble of finding owners to take over terrible teams after they leave. It's kind of fun to take over the worst team possible, and see how long it takes you to turn it around.

We had a great bunch of owners in a Phenoms dynasty for 3 years and I was loving it. After that fiasco, it left a bitter taste. All that work, endless amount of hours you need to dedicate to being competitive in that format and poof, it was gone over night. I thought I was done but I love how much more I know than the average redraft manager though. It's a competitive advantage.

I jumped into a Dataforce dynasty. It's not bad, it still gives me my fix but the owners are a bit odd. I could see some people leaving after year 1 because there are some flakes. That's the biggest issue for me with dynasty. I could never get my group of friends/coworkers to buy in so you are relying on complete strangers to make it work. It's a crapshoot.

Think many are in way too many. Down season and they just focus on the others. Id like to start a league where every owner can only be in a max of 2-3 leagues.

We had a great bunch of owners in a Phenoms dynasty for 3 years and I was loving it. After that fiasco, it left a bitter taste. All that work, endless amount of hours you need to dedicate to being competitive in that format and poof, it was gone over night.
This is big. It's harder to enjoy a league, wondering how long it will last. I had two leagues fold recently and lost a few hundred due to a crook commish--and it's not easy to get that taste out of your mouth. Hell, the MOX leagues were around forever and most of those were retired, I believe. Mine was.

I got sick of dynasty leagues folding after year 2. I am extremely reluctant to join one again. I don't trust anybody to run one and am not sure I would try to be a commissioner.

I'm in six, as into it as ever. Four playoff contenders that require the normal amount of oversight, one true tear down rebuild that requires less work but a more active attempt to find trades that help, and two "ideal" situations, leagues where I love my rosters and they're mostly just in a holding pattern until something goes wrong. I also play in extremely deep roster leagues so waivers don't require much work in comparison to some peoples' leagues...there's nothing out there.

I personally talk general dynasty strategy/philosophy less because I've got mine figured out and it fits well with the direction the NFL is heading. Not much to talk about really and the vast majority of my "dynasty time" is now spent looking for trades and chatting in my leagues, whereas in the past a lot of that time went to researching and discussing dynasty itself, as a format, on a board like this.

I think eventually you hit a comfort level as an owner, if you're any good at this. And then all that needs to be done is you adapt to new trends and swap out past player knowledge with present player knowledge continuously. You spend much less time actually talking about dynasty when you feel you have a good foundation, and then your philosophy just needs to be applied in each individual league, and that's where the majority of your time goes.

I'm lucky. Out of my six dynasties, two great commishes run four of them, and I run the other two. So if there are openings, only a great owner that has already been vetted and is probably already known to someone in the league gets in. When you have a stable league due to good commishing and competent replacement owners, it basically runs itself.

Friendships and rivalries develop over time, and people become invested in winning outside of the payouts. That's what makes it fun. Right now I'm in a league with a guy who mails every owner he beats a package of gummy penises along with a message about how they've been served their "bowl of dicks". I have a league where we do Game of the Week interviews, with a rotating schedule allowing that weeks interviewer to ask questions of the owners in the matchup he's most interested in. A couple of them are Devy leagues. I have another league where we draft rookies before the NFL draft--for a few years now we've been posting the draft on DLF so they can follow along (as it's pretty much the first draft of the year every year) and we get 6-8 pages of strangers chatting with us about our picks and our draft, which is pretty cool.

It's all about getting the right group of owners, and then any league is usually a blast, whether you're competing or rebuilding or whatever. I'm lucky to have worked my way into a pretty large network of great, knowledgeable dynasty owners and we always pull from that pool.

Far more entertained by dynasty.

Trying to predict the various changes over seasons is the most compelling aspect to the whole fantasy experience for me at this point.
+1.

My dynasty league has been going since Peyton's rookie season and it is, by far, my most interesting league.

Most people under 30 have the attention span of a 2 year-old, though, so I can see how it isn't for them.

As someone mentioned in a post above you really need the right group of owners for a dynasty league to work. Everyone needs to be engaged and run a competitive team. Once you get that you can tweak the rules over time as needed.

Dynasty separates the men from the boys as far as being able to judge talent coming into the NFL. Anyone can draft the flavor of the year. Can you build a consistent dynasty winner year after year. Redrafters cannot - that's why they play redraft only.

Have not done a redraft in years. My interest in dynasty and DFS now. I'm 2 dynasty leagues, both 16 teamers. The first is in its 15th year and I'm one of 5 original owners still in it. The other I took over a aging team half way thru last year. I do a few(3 this year) MFL10's just to get my drafting fix. Even though I probably spend more time on DFS during the season, I am still very active in my dynasty leagues both in and out of season.
This. I'm in a 16 team league with 3 keepers and rookie contract, auction, draft and FA bidding. It is so much fun and requires a lot of thought and strategy...by far my most favorite league. All but 2 of the owners are hardcore. My 2nd favorite league is a traditional dynasty league...12 teams will all fairly solid owners. I'm also in 3 redraft leagues that I'm completely bored with. The one league is high school and college friends that has been around since 1990... I'm really just stay in it because of draft weekend. The other 2 redrafts are a work league and local friends league that I don't want to bail on but I'm just not into them anymore.

I spend 90% of my fantasy football time on my 2 dynasty type leagues. I think it's the redraft leagues that are suffering at least for the serious fantasy player.

That could certainly play a part, but it woudln't explain the decrease in conversation centered around it. The number of dynasty threads (and participation in existing threads) is down. Looking at the trade thread, for example, it was much more active last year.
I would think more leagues might be a direct correlation to less message board activity here. People working deals or whatever

There's definitely less activity in my leagues, but I get the sense it's because people are joining more leagues and have less time/passion for each individual one. I know when I joined my first dynasty league I was very focused on trading/pickups. Now that I'm in four (with another 4 redrafts), I don't pay near as much time on one specific league. I may get around to trade development in a specific league once every few weeks, if that.
Very much on board with this. I've made a concerted effort to pare down my number of leagues over the last two years. I'm now down to five active-management leagues this year. Next year I think I'll get that down to four. Add in the huge time-saver that is MyFBG and I've probably reduced my time requirements by 75%.

I cannot overstate what a positive impact it has had on my enjoyment of fantasy football. Also, this might be entirely unrelated, but I'm overall having the best fantasy season I've ever had by a huge margin. (I rank 1st in all-play in four of my leagues, and 2nd in the fifth.) I suspect a lot of that is just random, blind, dumb luck. But I think at least a small part of it is having the time and energy to really pay attention and pound waivers and trades more than I have in the past.

I do two leagues that are keepr leagues. Can keep 5 guys, must give up corresponding draft pick. I think it's the best of both worlds.

Dynasty is by far the most fun format for me. Redraft bores me some and daily bores me even more.
Agreed.

Dynasty offers a much deeper experience on many levels.

You know my least fun thing about redraft and dynasty? WDIS decisions. To me that's all daily leagues are, one huge WDIS decision.

Dynasty separates the men from the boys as far as being able to judge talent coming into the NFL. Anyone can draft the flavor of the year. Can you build a consistent dynasty winner year after year. Redrafters cannot - that's why they play redraft only.
You're definitely onto something here.

I don't follow college football at all, so I'm at a disadvantage in dynasty.

I also found after I tried it for a couple seasons that I just didn't have the patience for it.

As someone who is largely contracted to produce and disseminate dynasty content, I'm sure I get a pretty skewed view of the dynasty community. But it certainly feels to me like it's getting more popular every year. I get a lot more people expressing interest and trying to find out what it's all about. I get a lot of first-timers looking for a place to start. It definitely feels like it's still growing, (albeit not nearly as exponentially as DFS).

But, as I said, I've probably got a pretty biased view of the industry. I can't tell if this represents actual growth, or if it's a result of a higher profile. I basically doubled my Twitter followers last year and then doubled them again this year. Is that sort of accumulation typical within all areas of the industry? Or does that represent an expanding community seeking out resources? The dynasty guys on my Twitter list seem to be picking up steam at a quicker rate than the more stereotypically redraft guys, but that's a pretty thin anecdote on which to balance any sweeping declarations.

I've chatted with our apps guy about it, and he tells me dynasty functionality for the mobile draft dominator app is his #1 feature request right now. So the demand is definitely there. Like I said, my experiences are hardly going to be typical, but if dynasty is contracting I don't see much evidence of it on my end. Or from up the food chain, where they've been slowly-but-surely adding more dynasty content every year.

I wonder if the decline in message board activity reflects a trend away from dynasty, or a trend away from message boards? Seems the forums overall are down from their manic / hectic pre-lockout heyday.

5 of my 10 dynasty leagues have been going strong for over a decade.
Over 20 years for my league.
My "main league" where I took over as assistant commish this year, has been going for 15 years. Love it. Another 32 team league is a lot of fun (admittedly it might be because I'm doing well) my third dynasty I'm dropping next year. I don't do dfs and only redrafts are the work league and the 10k guys. I'll keep it that way.

I also found after I tried it for a couple seasons that I just didn't have the patience for it.
I haven't watched a college football game since... maybe 2010? I can't remember for sure, but it's very possible that the last one I saw was the 2010 Sugar Bowl, Tim Tebow's final college game.

The nice thing about dynasty is there's a lot more room for specialization, diversification, and otherwise leveraging skillsets. I can not watch so much as a snippet of college tape and still remain incredibly competitive. In fact, I've currently got the second-best team in the staff dynasty league, with my full complement of picks, only four players over the age of 25, and nobody over the age of 28.

We are in the 21st year of our dynasty ... started in college and though we have fluctuated from 12 to 16 teams we have managed to keep it going.

Requires much more effort. Been in dynasty for 24 drafts and I still make mistakes. However I have improved over the years and no longer just go for the big name coming out. Wasted on BMW years ago. Got Freeman and Martavis Bryant last year. Took Bryant in the 2nd because of Brown and Big Ben. Thought nothing of Sankey and Carlos Hyde. Didn't like the teams they went to either. However, missed on Gronk years ago and took Graham because Gronk had back issues at the time. Liked both guys potential. Back in the late 90s, chose Marvin Harrison on crappy Indy because he looked like he could be great. Passed over Derrick Mayes who went to GB. Normally people would take the guy with Brett Favre (who was my QB at the time).

I don't either and I am a hard core dynasty player in 10 leagues, but I haven't found myself at a disadvantage.

I usually don't pay start paying attention to the rookie class until about a week before the NFL draft. There are enough NFL scouts wannabes who post their rankings here and on the net to do the work for me. And I can get up to speed rather quickly on most of the players, particularly since they all seem to have at least one YouTube compilation/highlights tape. Admittedly one probably has an advantage following college football, but my track record in dynasty seems about as good as those who hold themselves out as rookie draft scout experts on this forum.

As others have said, if you're in a good one you're likely to prefer it. If you've been in leagues with owners who become disinterested or you don't know the other owners and you won't.

I think message board intensity is waning for a lot of reasons so it's hard to gauge popularity based on that. But message boards won't die out completely until people 35-55 die out completely.

My problem with redraft: I could play in a twelve team league with the eleven best players in the world, or I could play against eleven random grandmas, and have nearly the same odds of winning either league. I play in the world famous Tim FFA league, but mostly because it's fun to talk ####. Would not dream of playing redraft with a group of total strangers.

Still playing in 3 dynasty leagues, but seriously considering quitting two of them.

Had a random idea idea for a startup dynasty league that intrigues me. Lot of details to work through which I won't do anytime soon, but the gist of the idea is to have the pot (or most of the pot roll over season after season, until somebody wins two years in a row. It would create a lot of interesting trade dynamics, and it would certainly build long term commitment. Hmmm, this could work for redraft too. ... or instead of two consecutive titles, the first one to amass two, or three titles.

had more fun at my dynasty draft this season than I have in a long time. It as awesome. EVeryone was loaded. I think 13 trades went off. Just a blast. You don't get the with "Pick your team .. . .Done!"

Users who are viewing this thread