What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

are you as passionate about anything as Tim is about posting about politics (1 Viewer)

are you as passionate about anything as Tim is about politics?

• yes (plz to explain)

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • no

Votes: 34 65.4%

• Total voters

Peyton Marino

Footballguy
It's hard to quantify, but I don't think I am, which is kind of sad (not sure for who though).

Last edited by a moderator:
the lesson of the moth

i was talking to a moth
the other evening
he was trying to break into
an electric light bulb
and fry himself on the wires

why do you fellows
pull this stunt i asked him
because it is the conventional
thing for moths or why
if that had been an uncovered
candle instead of an electric
light bulb you would
now be a small unsightly cinder
have you no sense

plenty of it he answered
but at times we get tired
of using it
we get bored with the routine
and crave beauty 
and excitement
fire is beautiful
and we know that if we get
too close it will kill us 
but what does that matter
it is better to be happy
for a moment
and be burned up with beauty
than to live a long time
and be bored all the while 
so we wad all our life up
into one little roll
and then we shoot the roll
that is what life is for
it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then cease to
exist than to exist forever
and never be a part of beauty
our attitude toward life
is come easy go easy
we are like human beings 
used to be before they became
too civilized to enjoy themselves

and before i could argue him
out of his philosophy
he went and immolated himself
on a patent cigar lighter
i do not agree with him
myself i would rather have
half the happiness and twice
the longevity

but at the same time i wish
there was something i wanted
as badly as he wanted to fry himself - Don Marquis (archy and mehitabel)

Why sad?  When passion leads to one to be condescending, over generalizing, hyperbole and fear-mongering it goes too far.  Having passion is good, but getting too emotional on certain topics leads to becoming closed-minded, lack of logic, and belittling people who dare to disagree.  On certain topics like Trimp, racism, and global warming, he would do better to dail back his emotion/passion.  

Tim ignores his own family to post here about politics. I think they're happy about that. The last thing they want is him droning on in their real lives. 

Or, God forbid, subjecting them to one of his terrible 'novels'. 
Abuse of tim by Walking Boot: box checked!  

Tim ignores his own family to post here about politics. I think they're happy about that. The last thing they want is him droning on in their real lives. 

Or, God forbid, subjecting them to one of his terrible 'novels'. 
You know absolutely nothing about my family. 

Gotta say I'm getting sick of this. I don't make personal posts about people's families, I don't report anybody,  I try very hard to avoid personal insults. 

So listen up Walking Boot (and Rover, and Willie Neslon, and anybody else who thinks I am the problem around here): I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to continue to discuss political issues and I'm going to continue to start political threads. Because David Dodds has requested it I won't start or participate in any "catch-all" threads; that's fine. If they want to ban me they certainly can. But I've given them no reason to do so and I won't. 

There's a difference between passion and obsession.  I don't know anybody here personally, but the need to be right is a character flaw.

Similar to my post in the moderation thread, I feel compelled to respond. Although Tim has very strong convictions in his politics and principles, he is always civil as far as I have seen. I would estimate I only agree with 33% of what he posts but he always tries to stay on the subject and not get into personal attacks. I'm not sure why the bullying is aimed at him.

Pleade do not respond explaining why, as that defeats the purpose of my post. Let's just leave well enough alone and realize that we all have different opinions.

Similar to my post in the moderation thread, I feel compelled to respond. Although Tim has very strong convictions in his politics and principles, he is always civil as far as I have seen. I would estimate I only agree with 33% of what he posts but he always tries to stay on the subject and not get into personal attacks. I'm not sure why the bullying is aimed at him.

Pleade do not respond explaining why, as that defeats the purpose of my post. Let's just leave well enough alone and realize that we all have different opinions.
You post 100000 times and try to dominate every conversation, you're begging for attention.  Not all of it will be positive.  The two Mormon kids that knocked on my door today were very nice, and I treated them respectfully.  If they knocked on my door ten times a day for 10 years, I wouldn't be all that kind to them.

Yes Tim posts a lot: politics, lists of best books/movies,  history of Europe, etc. While he may have passionate views, they are always with logic. Some may not agree with his logic or views but he never scolded/belittled anyone. Contradicts himself sometimes -yes, so what? He is always willing to debate views with anyone. Isn't there an ignore function if you don't want to see his posts? Seems there many others to be more ban worthy than Tim. Someone has there panties on too tight.

I think people see others mocking Tim, then think the next reasonable step is to hate him.  Some folks should know better than this.

Okay so Tim has 106,000 posts? Let me work this out. I started waxing the turnip when I was 13, and I'm 45 now. That's 32 years times 365 days -- hmm. That can't be right. That's only 11,680. Holy ####### ####. Even if we factor in the days I did it 5, 6 times in a day, I probably don't crack 30,000.

Damn, Tim. 

You know absolutely nothing about my family. 

Gotta say I'm getting sick of this. I don't make personal posts about people's families, I don't report anybody,  I try very hard to avoid personal insults.
Are you insinuating that your broad sweeping generalizations of the Trump voting base is any better than pinpointing a single individual?

Okay so Tim has 106,000 posts? Let me work this out. I started waxing the turnip when I was 13, and I'm 45 now. That's 32 years times 365 days -- hmm. That can't be right. That's only 11,680. Holy ####### ####. Even if we factor in the days I did it 5, 6 times in a day, I probably don't crack 30,000.

Damn, Tim. 
This deserves a trophy or something. Is there any other member close to that? Poor kids. 

Are you insinuating that your broad sweeping generalizations of the Trump voting base is any better than pinpointing a single individual?
I am. 

Recall that early on in the election cycle I wrote that Trump supporters were either bigoted, tolerant of bigotry in others, or ignorant about bigotry. I've had no reason to change my mind since then. 

The only thing weirder than Tim's posts is the fascination of some with Tim's posts 

I am. 

Recall that early on in the election cycle I wrote that Trump supporters were either bigoted, tolerant of bigotry in others, or ignorant about bigotry. I've had no reason to change my mind since then. 
You said this numerous times and I don't recall any rebuttal. It's the type of thing that contributed to the fake news phenomenon. When facts conflict with your objective, create new facts. Or just post a :lmao:  and be done with it. 

That's not to say your statement can't be seen as offensive -- no one wants to be called a bigot or tolerant of bigotry. But it's an objective fact that doesn't require much investigation. The closest thing to a counter argument is that Trump probably just said horrible things as hyperbole to get attention or to signal that he's really passionate. So he's not a bigot, he's a disingenuous demagogue? Okay then.

Probably 95% of the current drama in here can be traced back to the above problem. One side is debating advanced physics and the other side is saying okay we can have this debate, and let's start by agreeing that 2+2=5.

You said this numerous times and I don't recall any rebuttal. It's the type of thing that contributed to the fake news phenomenon. When facts conflict with your objective, create new facts. Or just post a :lmao:  and be done with it. 

That's not to say your statement can't be seen as offensive -- no one wants to be called a bigot or tolerant of bigotry. But it's an objective fact that doesn't require much investigation. The closest thing to a counter argument is that Trump probably just said horrible things as hyperbole to get attention or to signal that he's really passionate. So he's not a bigot, he's a disingenuous demagogue? Okay then.

Probably 95% of the current drama in here can be traced back to the above problem. One side is debating advanced physics and the other side is saying okay we can have this debate, and let's start by agreeing that 2+2=5.
Right. I tried really hard, all throughout the campaign, not to offend Trump supporters. But Trump then proceeded to make one offensive or bigoted or xenophobic or just plain stupid comment after another. There is really no good way to respond to that without at least some of the slime that is Trump sticking to his supporters.

Users who are viewing this thread