What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arbitration Eligible Players (1 Viewer)

Yankee23Fan

Fair Tax!
Olney on Mike & Mike this morning just reported that a ton of teams especially small market teams aren't going to fight arbitration this year and instead just cut players outright before theyhave to spend that money. Main name he came up with was Jeremy Hermida as someone that will just be cut and thereafter go to the highest bidder. Garret Atkins is another one.

He also has a major breaking story that he wants to report but can't confirm just yet... but they are playing it up a lot here.

Olney on Mike & Mike this morning just reported that a ton of teams especially small market teams aren't going to fight arbitration this year and instead just cut players outright before theyhave to spend that money. Main name he came up with was Jeremy Hermida as someone that will just be cut and thereafter go to the highest bidder. Garret Atkins is another one.He also has a major breaking story that he wants to report but can't confirm just yet... but they are playing it up a lot here.
The Yankee$ are already circling. ;)Heard about this too, sounds like small market teams just about giving up and larger markets will reap the rewards.If this goes down as they're describing, maybe it will actually lead to a real look at salary caps and floors.Not sure how the union will view this though, as first thought it seems they'd be in favor as would mean more instances of free agency for their players in "low paying" jobs on crappy teams. On the other hand, if the market is flooded with guys cut to to higher salaries, where do they all find homes? Some will make out but the larger pool may see a drop in the average salaries.

I'd have to think that if the arbitration system breaks down like this and turns out to be the threshhold for smaller markets to dump talent the union won't be able to stop the coming storm of a movement for salary threshholds. If they set a standard hard floor for the 40 man roster and a fluid soft cap for the 40 man as well - increase the revenue sharing system with the caveat that shared money must be spent on the 40 man roster, I think that's the best they can do.

Olney on Mike & Mike this morning just reported that a ton of teams especially small market teams aren't going to fight arbitration this year and instead just cut players outright before theyhave to spend that money. Main name he came up with was Jeremy Hermida as someone that will just be cut and thereafter go to the highest bidder. Garret Atkins is another one.

He also has a major breaking story that he wants to report but can't confirm just yet... but they are playing it up a lot here.
What was that story? I heard them tease but got out of the car before they said it. I guessed it was that the Yanks were about to sign Aroldis Chapman.

I'd have to think that if the arbitration system breaks down like this and turns out to be the threshhold for smaller markets to dump talent the union won't be able to stop the coming storm of a movement for salary threshholds. If they set a standard hard floor for the 40 man roster and a fluid soft cap for the 40 man as well - increase the revenue sharing system with the caveat that shared money must be spent on the 40 man roster, I think that's the best they can do.
Call me crazy, but if MLB revenues are anything like the NBAs this year (and keep in mind MLB missed the brunt of the downturn for this past year) then I expect you'll see a bigger push for a harder cap/floor from both the players and small market owners based on much increased revenue sharing.

What was that story? I heard them tease but got out of the car before they said it. I guessed it was that the Yanks were about to sign Aroldis Chapman.
Haven't heard yet.

One problem with arbitration is how it interacts with the compensation process. Type A free agents who were offered arbitration had very limited market value last year, to the point that the Juan Cruz deal included discussions about reducing the required compensation picks. The criteria for determining Class A and Class B players seems arbitrary at best: Tulowitzki, Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford are classified as Class B while Joey Devine is Class A for some reason. The current system forces the current team to make arbitration decisions based on compensation rather than the value of the player. If a player declines, they're forced to enter free agency with an albatross of compensatory picks.

It's a system that nobody seems to like but everybody is stuck with it until the next CBA.

Olney on Mike & Mike this morning just reported that a ton of teams especially small market teams aren't going to fight arbitration this year and instead just cut players outright before theyhave to spend that money. Main name he came up with was Jeremy Hermida as someone that will just be cut and thereafter go to the highest bidder.
Good call.

The system is flawed, but I for one would hate to see MLB go to a salary cap system with guarenteed contracts.

Until there is a cap (and floor), baseball will be ridiculously unfair and nearing unwatchable. When the highest payroll in the league is 250% the median, something is wrong w/ the model, no?

I'd be willing to have a lockout for 2 years if that's what it took to get one in place.

That said, how does a league w/o a cap impliment one w/ current contracts and such?

Last edited by a moderator:
fasteddie_21 said:
Until there is a cap (and floor), baseball will be ridiculously unfair and nearing unwatchable. When the highest payroll in the league is 250% the median, something is wrong w/ the model, no?I'd be willing to have a lockout for 2 years if that's what it took to get one in place.That said, how does a league w/o a cap impliment one w/ current contracts and such?
Do what the NBA does(I think the NFL screws teams over with the hard-cap, a soft cap is ideal as teams shouldn't be forced to lose talent it drafts/develops)....Nevertheless, the union is simply too powerful, and they will kill a cap by any means necessary. It sucks, and the game is suffering because of it. Unless you are a fan of a team in LA/Chicago/NY, baseball has become a joke in the eyes of most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until there is a cap (and floor), baseball will be ridiculously unfair and nearing unwatchable. When the highest payroll in the league is 250% the median, something is wrong w/ the model, no?I'd be willing to have a lockout for 2 years if that's what it took to get one in place.That said, how does a league w/o a cap impliment one w/ current contracts and such?
Baseball being unwatchable for me, as a Mets fan, has absolutely nothing to do with the revenue distribution.

Do what the NBA does(I think the NFL screws teams over with the hard-cap, a soft cap is ideal as teams shouldn't be forced to lose talent it drafts/develops)....Nevertheless, the union is simply too powerful, and they will kill a cap by any means necessary. It sucks, and the game is suffering because of it. Unless you are a fan of a team in LA/Chicago/NY, baseball has become a joke in the eyes of most.
:goodposting: Those fans of the teams from Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Boston, Denver, Detroit, St. Louis, Houston, Miami, San Francisco, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta, San Diego and Cleveland really haven't had anything to cheer for World Series time in the 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread