What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Appliance Guys - Refrigerator Cut Out Height (1 Viewer)

DallasDMac

Footballguy
I'm moving to a new home and trying to get appliances set up. I have a spot for a fridge that has clearance height of 71.5 inches. I ordered a fridge that, at the top of the hinges, is 69 7/8 inches. That leaves me over an inch and a half of clearance, which I figured was plenty. However, on the Best Buy website, it states the cut out height for the fridge is 72 1/4! I don't understand this at all. Why would the cut out height need to be almost 2.5 inches taller than the fridge? It seems to me this fridge will fit just fine, but that listed cut out height has me worried. Am I missing something?

I would think you should be fine. A little play may be needed for leveling purposes, but you seem to have that covered

I'm moving to a new home and trying to get appliances set up. I have a spot for a fridge that has clearance height of 71.5 inches. I ordered a fridge that, at the top of the hinges, is 69 7/8 inches. That leaves me over an inch and a half of clearance, which I figured was plenty. However, on the Best Buy website, it states the cut out height for the fridge is 72 1/4! I don't understand this at all. Why would the cut out height need to be almost 2.5 inches taller than the fridge? It seems to me this fridge will fit just fine, but that listed cut out height has me worried. Am I missing something?
just did a remodel. we had the same questions. my contractor put in a little filler in that matches my cabinets

they always want the cut out height to be bigger, you should to…..it allows for ventilation and leveling adjustments. you should know your cut out height and the fridge height and then do the math. just make sure you know if you bought counter depth. don’t want that thing sticking out like nikki minaj.

Here is one that is 70 1/8 in height, but the cut out is listed as 70 1/2. WTH?

Color me confused
I think, as others have said, you need some kind of space for ventilation.
But that one only lists 1/8 of an inch clearance. I doubt anyone suggests that as adequate ventilation space. Hence my confusion.

ETA I was dead wrong. - is absolutely for ventilation.

I’m firmly in the camp that the space has nothing to do with ventilation.

They just want the fridge to fit. You might need to level it and raise it higher than the 70-1/8” so they just go overboard.

Color me confused

That one has "built in" clearances, note how the doors are taller than the unit itself, so the top of the unit has airflow around it. If the doors are flush to the top of the unit you need to leave an air gap for heat exchange from the coils in back.

Color me confused

That one has "built in" clearances, note how the doors are taller than the unit itself, so the top of the unit has airflow around it. If the doors are flush to the top of the unit you need to leave an air gap for heat exchange from the coils in back.
My fridge is like that, too. The doors are higher than the top of the unit.

This is the model I ordered...

Do I need to reconsider based on the height?

I am also in the process of replacing a fridge and created a very similar thread on a different site a few days ago. I am having a difficult time finding a fridge that will fit our stupidly designed kitchen.

In your case GE states below.

Check for Proper Air Clearance​

• In general, at least 1 inch of air clearance is required on each side, top and back of the refrigerator. Air clearance requirements do vary by style and model. Please consult the owner’s manual for model specific requirements.

Just put a 1.5" gap via 2x4s behind the cabinets on top of the fridge. Are these top cabinets flush with the ceiling? Of not, then you got your airflow. If so then you have to figure out another way to get airflow to the heat exchanger at the back of the fridge.

not counter depth
Does anyone else here use a counter depth model? I don't have one in current home and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. But maybe it makes a big difference? They seem to run quite a bit smaller for obvious reasons. Only seen the one opinion on this so just wondering.
Mine sticks out...and I'm proud of it!

not counter depth
Does anyone else here use a counter depth model? I don't have one in current home and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. But maybe it makes a big difference? They seem to run quite a bit smaller for obvious reasons. Only seen the one opinion on this so just wondering.
what's your question about counter depth?

I spec them in apartments (big apartments) and/or when I want the kitchen cabinets to all be flush for design reasons.

not counter depth
i use counter depth. what’s the point of putting it in a cut out if you can see the unfinished sides? i’m not a caveman.

not counter depth
I have a small kitchen and our old fridge was a huge monstrosity the wife picked. It stuck out 6 inches or so from the counter. New fridge is counter depth. Sooooo much better

I ending up switching to a counter depth fridge with a 70" cut out requirement. The current owner has a counter depth and it sticks out about 4 inches as is. The original fridge I ordered would have been way out there even in the height did work out. Lost 3 or 4 cu ft of space though. Not thrilled about that but what can you do?

I ending up switching to a counter depth fridge with a 70" cut out requirement. The current owner has a counter depth and it sticks out about 4 inches as is. The original fridge I ordered would have been way out there even in the height did work out. Lost 3 or 4 cu ft of space though. Not thrilled about that but what can you do?
shop a bit more often, but only fresh ingredients and get a fridge for the garage.

just think, in europe they get away with dorm sized fridges.

shop a bit more often, but only fresh ingredients and get a fridge for the garage.

just think, in europe they get away with dorm sized fridges.
It's only the two of us. We'll adapt. In six months, we won't even think twice about it. Really, the only time I see it being an issue is around Thanksgiving. We buy a fairly large turkey as we host family. A shelf will have to come out to make room to thaw the bird.

Users who are viewing this thread