What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody Not Believe in Global Warming Anymore? Make Your Case In Here. (1 Viewer)

IWouldn't it be a reasonable approach for a scammer to take to campaigning? Assuming there are a lot of potential marks (which it seems there is)
anonymity is usually the best weapon in those sorts of scams you brought up, so no, I don't think it would be all that smart.

The Commish said:
anonymity is usually the best weapon in those sorts of scams you brought up, so no, I don't think it would be all that smart.
We differ in opinion, it seems. So be it.

Do you think it's possible for alternative energy sources (solar for example) to be cheaper than fossil fuels in the coming decades?  
I just came back from holiday in the Orkney Islands - they generate all their electricity through wind turbines, and even export electricity to Scotland. It isn't as cheap as the electricity I get which has a huge hydro component, but that might be a difference in taxation or regulation for all I know. The problem though is there are few places as windy as the Orkney Islands.

He's not citing Wikipedia, he says his visualization is "in the vein of" a particular visualization used by Wikipedia and then cites seven peer-reviewed sources as the actual sources for his visualization.  
But it still uses a poor class interval.

I find it very ironic that we are talking about cataclysmic climate change and burning fossil fuels. How do people think dinosaurs went extinct? It was very likely due to a dramatic change in climate brought on by an asteroid or meteor impact on our planet. We should be more concerned with shielding our planet from cosmic debris than regulating carbon. Sheesh!
Actually, there is increasing evidence that the asteroid impact resulted in an antipodal series of eruptions of flood basalts which spewed enough sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere to bring about mass extinctions.

I tries a couple of cities and basically got a pretty flat line, then the future ramped up exponentially. In business we used to call this the hockey stick: i.e., our business has sucked for years, but look how different it will be in the future. Then every year, you move the hockey stick forward.
Interesting.

Miami is the closest major city to where I was born - 81 days 90 degrees or higher when I was born, now its 133 days

Tidewater, VA - where I grew up mostly - 13 to 25

Atlanta, where I lived for 10 years - its 28 and now 51

Lexington, where I live now, its 15 to 33

maybe I am the only person to live in places affected by global warming...  :oldunsure:

You could credit the actual source. I suspect most Republicans laugh at this as hard as you do.
Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) questioned Duffy on the factors that contribute to sea-level rise, pointing out that land subsidence plays a role, as well as human activity.

Brooks then said that erosion plays a significant role in sea-level rise, which is not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers. He said the California coastline and the White Cliffs of Dover tumble into the sea every year, and that contributes to sea-level rise. He also said that silt washing into the ocean from the world's major rivers, including the Mississippi, the Amazon and the Nile, is contributing to sea-level rise.

"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/republican-lawmaker-rocks-tumbling-ocean-causing-sea-level-rise

Last edited by a moderator:
I tries a couple of cities and basically got a pretty flat line, then the future ramped up exponentially. In business we used to call this the hockey stick: i.e., our business has sucked for years, but look how different it will be in the future. Then every year, you move the hockey stick forward.
Odd, I tried my hometown and my birth year and by 2017 I got twice the number as my birth year. 

Pffff. Science.  :rolleyes:

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) questioned Duffy on the factors that contribute to sea-level rise, pointing out that land subsidence plays a role, as well as human activity.

Brooks then said that erosion plays a significant role in sea-level rise, which is not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers. He said the California coastline and the White Cliffs of Dover tumble into the sea every year, and that contributes to sea-level rise. He also said that silt washing into the ocean from the world's major rivers, including the Mississippi, the Amazon and the Nile, is contributing to sea-level rise.

"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/republican-lawmaker-rocks-tumbling-ocean-causing-sea-level-rise
Does this clown have any idea how big the ocean is? And the line "not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers" is a bit understated and I hope was included for comedy reasons. 

Mario Kart said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:
Well.  Charter schools work well.
But, they do not.
They certainly do in certain circumstances. I am a big believer in public schools, FYI, but charter schools have their place. More so in the specialty type of school (language immersion, Montessori, STEM, etc.) but even just some plain old traditional schools too

Matthias said:
Important: Will the rocks that miss you end up in the ocean?
I'm 300 miles from the ocean, so unless you have one hell of an arm, no.  I suspect if I stood on the deck of my beach house that the answer would still be no.   :penalty:

Alabama doesn't have a write in option and/or doesn't allow Democrats on their ballot or something?
They're both Republicans.  In fact, the choice there (this was the primary, obviously) was between those two and the sitting senator who basically accepted that position as a bribe payoff to derail the investigation into the governor's misdeeds (it didn't work, he ended up being charged and losing his office anyway).  Out of the three choices he was by far the best one, despite his ridiculous comments on climate change items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go ahead and ask him if he voted against the pedophile in the special election.
As per usual - looks like we went off the rails here for a side ad hominem attack.  Fun fact - I voted against him twice in the special election.  And once prior when he ran for SC.

On a separate note, why bring this up in a climate change thread?  Oh, yes, because we're hell bent on throwing "he's a pedophile"/"he's a pedophile sympathizer" grenade at people you don't agree with.  Yes, we know what you're getting at here.  Yes, we fully understand the personal attack you're throwing out.  I don't know how much lower one can go.

Joe likes this board, and I agree with him, to run under the "be excellent to each other" banner.  I like to refer to it simply as "don't be a jackass".  Dude - this is all you do.  Throw nasty grenades and snipe attacks.  You contribute nothing.  You detract from this community immeasurably.  Your permanent absence would be a blessing, barring a complete turnaround in behavior.  If the mods took time to see your full body of work you'd get the LHUCKS treatment.  

-----

Anyway, back to your prior scheduled climate change briefings.

As per usual - looks like we went off the rails here for a side ad hominem attack.  Fun fact - I voted against him twice in the special election.  And once prior when he ran for SC.

On a separate note, why bring this up in a climate change thread?  Oh, yes, because we're hell bent on throwing "he's a pedophile"/"he's a pedophile sympathizer" grenade at people you don't agree with.  Yes, we know what you're getting at here.  Yes, we fully understand the personal attack you're throwing out.  I don't know how much lower one can go.

Joe likes this board, and I agree with him, to run under the "be excellent to each other" banner.  I like to refer to it simply as "don't be a jackass".  Dude - this is all you do.  Throw nasty grenades and snipe attacks.  You contribute nothing.  You detract from this community immeasurably.  Your permanent absence would be a blessing, barring a complete turnaround in behavior.  If the mods took time to see your full body of work you'd get the LHUCKS treatment.  

-----

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

-----

"off the rails" for Dedfin?   A nice way to say it.  Good thoughtful posting & true all the way.

kudos.

I really can’t believe at this point the fact that we are having an effect on the climate is even a discussion point.  Anyone who can’t see we are doing damage and must change our bad habits immediately are the equivalent to those that turned a blind eye to cigarettes for decades. It’s willful ignorance due to something not fitting what you want to believe, the major difference being that this impacts everyone.  

This is so fricken' scary, and all we are doing is arguing about it.  3-4 degrees CELSIUS by the the end of the century?  Nobody is willing to alter their habits one bit and instead, we are just kicking the can down the road and continuing to behave like selfish jerks - just look at the last few pages of this thread to see what I mean.  

Keep eating all that red meat.  Drive everywhere in your SUV.  Keep all those devices charged.  Consume, consume, consume.  Buy that new fleece to replace one of the 8 others in your closet.  Throw away all that "old" stuff and put it on the curb where it will disappear when the trash man shows up.  Get a new leaf blower.  Who gives a about rising temperatures when it's perfectly comfortable in this air conditioned 5,000 square foot house.

The time for snark, schtick, whataboutism, and causation are over.  DO SOMETHING!

-----

It comes top down with our POTUS.  Same sentiments with the orange one.

How exactly do you think they got to "climate change denier" in the first place?  These seem exactly like the sort of people who would think this way.
It's cold outside.  Therefore, global warming is a hoax.

It's snowing.  Therefore, global warming is a hoax.

My family room is cool.  Therefore, global warming is a hoax.

I saw a polar bear at the zoo.  Therefore, global warming is a hoax.

This is so fricken' scary, and all we are doing is arguing about it.  3-4 degrees CELSIUS by the the end of the century?  Nobody is willing to alter their habits one bit and instead, we are just kicking the can down the road and continuing to behave like selfish jerks - just look at the last few pages of this thread to see what I mean.  

Keep eating all that red meat.  Drive everywhere in your SUV.  Keep all those devices charged.  Consume, consume, consume.  Buy that new fleece to replace one of the 8 others in your closet.  Throw away all that "old" stuff and put it on the curb where it will disappear when the trash man shows up.  Get a new leaf blower.  Who gives a about rising temperatures when it's perfectly comfortable in this air conditioned 5,000 square foot house.

The time for snark, schtick, whataboutism, and causation are over.  DO SOMETHING!
Now add that recycling in this country is coming to a screeching halt because of the trade war and China's refusal to buy the refuse. Scary as hell. 

passionate post.  

good post.

Now add that recycling in this country is coming to a screeching halt because of the trade war and China's refusal to buy the refuse. Scary as hell. 
Shouldn't the tariffs cause prices to rise to a point that we no longer consume as much? Wouldn't that be an overall positive for global warming?

If we can't recycle, our dispose of, our own refuse isn't that a problem that is uniquely our own? Why should we ship or trash to another country?

And don't get me wrong, I do think that we need to do something about global warming. I don't think that mankind is 100% at fault, but I think we own part of it. 

KCitons said:
Shouldn't the tariffs cause prices to rise to a point that we no longer consume as much? Wouldn't that be an overall positive for global warming?

If we can't recycle, our dispose of, our own refuse isn't that a problem that is uniquely our own? Why should we ship or trash to another country?

And don't get me wrong, I do think that we need to do something about global warming. I don't think that mankind is 100% at fault, but I think we own part of it. 
The disposal issue is a short(/medium) term issue. Most recycling business are built around one or more specific recyclables that they are looking for, everything else for them is trash. Thius the same trash can be picked over by multiple recycling businesses and some of it (principally plastics IIRC) would be exported to China that was willing to take it (whether for recycling or getting paid to dump it I do not know).

Once the Chinese stopped taking it (IIRC it was before the tariffs and it's from all origins, so not only the US) that obviously created issues for the erstwhile exporters, since now they had a product they either need to mine again for different recyclables (there may or may not be a local market for the products) or they need to get rid of  it some other way that does not involve exporting it. In any case, there will have to be investment in something that diminishes or removes the problem.

E.g. here in DK when something has been picked over as far as the economics involved will allow, the remainder is burned. This generates heat which is used to produce steam that heats houses/bath water through a system of pipes. This is currently considered co2 neutral as the alternative is to burn fossil fuels (and the co2 in the residue would be released slowly over time as the materials decompose anyway). However, if sufficient solar or wind energy is introduced to the system that this can be done by renewable means that evaæuation will have to be reconsidered.

So the answer to a bunch of your questions is: "it's complicated"

Our County has no one to buy its recycled paper, because China isn't buying, so it's just stacking up at the transfer station with nowhere to go, but getting some measure of control over global warming is about so much more than recycling. 

It's Bigger Than Recycling

It's about reducing CO2 emissions and that can happen at the micro level.  A lot of it is simple choices we make every day that can have positive impacts on our overall health too.  Walk or ride a bike to work or the gym.  Take mass transit whenever possible.  Carpool.   Eat less red meat and more a local, plant-based diet.  Bring your own bags to the store.  Buy a water purifier and/or water bottles (Nalgene, Hydroflask, whatever) and QUIT BUYING INDIVIDUALLY BOTTLED WATER.  Refill a growler of beer instead of buying a six pack.  Make a sandwich for the kid's lunch instead of giving them a pre-packaged lunch.  And on and on. 

I get that some of that just isn't feasible for some people and that is fine, but JFC make an effort and quit being so bloody selfish.  I've got a liberal neighbor who is as anti-Trump and pro-Paris Accord as one can get (he's got all the political signs in the yard you can think of), but he has an SUV that he drives everywhere, usually alone, even though he lives less than a mile from his work.  His wife has a minivan that she drives everywhere, usually alone, even though it is less than a mile to local stores and her work.  Every weekend they drive 60+ miles to go shopping (malls, Costco, WalMart, Home Depot, etc.) and come home loaded with giant plastic bags filled with new clothes, toys, and other useless crap.  Every week, he puts out a huge trash can that is overflowing with garbage.  No recycling.  I have a sister who is the same way.  On my ride to work, I pass by 30-40 houses with the same trash cans, and single occupant SUV after single occupant SUV with RESIST bumper stickers zoom by me on their way to the same general location for work (I live in a narrow valley with two small cities).  Our commuter buses need to be heavily subsidized due to a lack of ridership.  There are millions of others who are so outraged over global warming deniers and Trump, and yet live this incredibly hypocritical way.    

Our consumer economy has generated incredible wealth, and as the primary beneficiaries, we must accept much of the responsibility for it.  We can gripe about Trump, global warming deniers, and blame newer markets like China, Brazil and India, but we have very little control over the pig-headed, short-sighted, Idiocracy making decisions for us at the macro level.  Stop and think if YOU are doing all that you can to reduce YOUR impact.  That is something YOU control.   Evaluate the amount of trash YOU put out on the curb every week.  Look beyond recycling and create less overall waste.  Evaluate how much time YOU spend alone in the car and whether all of those trips were really necessary.  Call out your buddy when he pulls out his 12 ounce Costco water bottle or better yet, buy him a Nalgene in his favorite team's colors.  These are things WE control.  Start doing something.  It adds up.   

The disposal issue is a short(/medium) term issue. Most recycling business are built around one or more specific recyclables that they are looking for, everything else for them is trash. Thius the same trash can be picked over by multiple recycling businesses and some of it (principally plastics IIRC) would be exported to China that was willing to take it (whether for recycling or getting paid to dump it I do not know).

Once the Chinese stopped taking it (IIRC it was before the tariffs and it's from all origins, so not only the US) that obviously created issues for the erstwhile exporters, since now they had a product they either need to mine again for different recyclables (there may or may not be a local market for the products) or they need to get rid of  it some other way that does not involve exporting it. In any case, there will have to be investment in something that diminishes or removes the problem.

E.g. here in DK when something has been picked over as far as the economics involved will allow, the remainder is burned. This generates heat which is used to produce steam that heats houses/bath water through a system of pipes. This is currently considered co2 neutral as the alternative is to burn fossil fuels (and the co2 in the residue would be released slowly over time as the materials decompose anyway). However, if sufficient solar or wind energy is introduced to the system that this can be done by renewable means that evaæuation will have to be reconsidered.

So the answer to a bunch of your questions is: "it's complicated"
Thank you.

Couldn't we build new areas with housing that takes advantage of those recylables and houses people here in the US? Perhaps start with a group of 4k-6k people that are new to this country and looking for a job and a home? Seems like a win-win.

Thank you.

Couldn't we build new areas with housing that takes advantage of those recylables and houses people here in the US? Perhaps start with a group of 4k-6k people that are new to this country and looking for a job and a home? Seems like a win-win.
Absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread