What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any FBGs with insight into HR rules - health insurance (1 Viewer)

DropKick

Footballguy
Unfortunately, my wife's employer is cutting her hours and she won't qualify for health insurance.  This would not be problematic if we were closer to the new year (will switch to my company) but it is a major headache to address this potential gap.  Also, we have essentially met the annual deductibles.

I understand we could continue under Cobra but does anyone know how much notice is required before coverage actually ceases?  Other comments on employee rights?

Appreciate the insight.

Not an expert, but something like that would be a qualifying event for me and I could add coverage outside of the annual enrollment window.

I'd be surprised if your coverage isn't continued at least through the end of the month but I imagine that could vary by state and company. 

But you should contact your HR dept and see if you could get coverage under your company plan immediately (or whenever it actually ceases). Life events like loss of job/coverage are often exceptions to waiting for open season enrollment. 

Unfortunately, my wife's employer is cutting her hours and she won't qualify for health insurance.  This would not be problematic if we were closer to the new year (will switch to my company) but it is a major headache to address this potential gap.  Also, we have essentially met the annual deductibles.

I understand we could continue under Cobra but does anyone know how much notice is required before coverage actually ceases?  Other comments on employee rights?

Appreciate the insight.
Usually a 'qualifying event' will allow you to put her on your company's insurance even though its not open enrollment. A qualifying event can be a lot of things, but loss of insurance usually falls under that.

Also, remember,  you only have two 7 weeks or so left this year. I'd imagine she'd have insurance through the end of this month, so now we're talking about 4 weeks. Worst case, you're paying one month of COBRA.

Deranged Hermit said:
Usually a 'qualifying event' will allow you to put her on your company's insurance even though its not open enrollment. A qualifying event can be a lot of things, but loss of insurance usually falls under that.

Also, remember,  you only have two 7 weeks or so left this year. I'd imagine she'd have insurance through the end of this month, so now we're talking about 4 weeks. Worst case, you're paying one month of COBRA.
This and you don’t have to pay for the coverage up front so if you don’t need it you don’t pay the bill

This and you don’t have to pay for the coverage up front so if you don’t need it you don’t pay the bill
Yeah, you actually have 60 days to enroll in COBRA, with retroactive coverage, so you can delay your election and if nothing happens before the end of the year, you don’t elect COBRA, but if something does happen, you can. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not an expert, but something like that would be a qualifying event for me and I could add coverage outside of the annual enrollment window.
Yes, this would be a qualifying expense for me as well and I could switch.  The downside is my deductibles are met now but would not be on the new plan.  I will have some significant expenses so a brief stint (one month) on COBRA might make sense.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.  This comment provided a lot of clarity:

"you actually have 60 days to enroll in COBRA, with retroactive coverage, so you can delay your election and if nothing happens before the end of the year, you don’t elect COBRA, but if something does happen, you can". 

Yes, this would be a qualifying expense for me as well and I could switch.  The downside is my deductibles are met now but would not be on the new plan.  I will have some significant expenses so a brief stint (one month) on COBRA might make sense.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.  This comment provided a lot of clarity:

"you actually have 60 days to enroll in COBRA, with retroactive coverage, so you can delay your election and if nothing happens before the end of the year, you don’t elect COBRA, but if something does happen, you can". 
Regarding the quote, just be sure to have your wife double check with her benefits department to confirm the 60-day election period and retroactive coverage. That’s the law as I understand it, but your wife’s employer may have specific notice requirements. 

Users who are viewing this thread