What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Restaurant Buying Thread (1 Viewer)

Wow....I've got catching up to do....  been absent in this thread.. my free time for FBG surfing has been non existent since opening my place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, my niece got her first real day. She wasn't really ready from a knowledge standpoint (we don't have all those fancy restaurant training systems). Barely knows anything about the menu, doesn't really know where anything goes. I'd thought about calling someone else into help a little. 

But I figured a little mayhem would be exactly what she needed. It was a rather busy day (massive for a Tuesday, really), but it really didn't feel like it. I was shocked when I pulled the daily report. She did say she got frustrated at times, but I didn't see it. When I say it didn't feel like it, that's pretty remarkable. I've worked a lot of different days with a lot of different combinations of people. Me and the other experienced girl should've had been put through hell getting through a day like that with someone on their first day.

It got busy, but she just kept working (she does have her uncle's speed). I told her no matter what happens, just keep working your ### off and have a great attitude with people. When she didn't know what to do, just go refill drinks and bus tables. Everything has a rhythm to it. There were spots I didn't think she could make in time, and I was getting ready to cover if she missed, but she'd get there in time. It helps that she doesn't know a lot people (regulars know her, but not the bulk of customers). Like her uncle, she doesn't get caught up in chitchat. I told her stay friendly, but always keep moving. She did. 

And she's got a love of the dirty work nobody else wants to do (sorry, but like her uncle). I had to kick her off of the dishes a few times. I gotta some dish time throughout the day.

Anyway, homegirl is good. I tried not to let her see my ####-eating grin throughout the day. 

Of course though, she's also a homesick 18 year old girl. She headed down to NC last night after we had dinner to spend a couple days with her boyfriend. She's clearly got what it takes to help her old uncle through a business transition for a couple of weeks. But I'm far more concerned about her making good life decisions. We're not a judgmental family, and frankly, the things that she's done to this point would probably freak most families out. Kids need explore and experience what life has to offer. Make some bad decisions, learn from them, and hopefully, avoid the major ones. She's very open. We talk. I just listen. Hoping like hell she's really got as good of a head on her shoulders as I think she does. Bracing myself if she doesn't. 
Wow, I'm proud of your niece too, just via your descriptions.

I love reading your updates - I  feel like I'm reading a good book or watching a great reality tv show.

You're doing a great job with your employees and your business.

ETA - if I'm ever anywhere near your area, I'm stopping in for sure.

The last two days have been very encouraging. The departing cook is working a few days this week because I know she needs the money, but the past two days were just me and the remaining crew. So, a chance to really to do some teaching and see how some of the changes will look.

We've got a long way to go, but man, they've got some fight in them. We've gotten a chance to run through a number of "tests" to see how they'll handle it when things get crazy. It hasn't gone perfectly, of course, and that'll take a long, long time (I've told them the more mistakes we make, the better we'll be), but they don't panic. And they seem to be all-in on what I'm teaching them, and every time I ask more of them, they respond.

The way we've done this for the last four years, to an outsider, would sound ludicrous (because it is). It's worked great, but certainly some flaws and things that aren't sustainable. For example, for some stupid reason, I decided long ago, to do all the burger prep myself and always put up the food deliveries myself. Wednesday's are a critical day because both of those things generally have to happen (burger prep throughout the week too, but happening during a food delivery can be difficult). Wednesday mornings have always been just me and the main cook. She can handle the cooking while I spend some unknown amount of time getting pulled in a few different directions. And I can generally get all that other stuff done, and still be able to help her when I know she needs it. She frees me up to get so much other stuff done (probably main concern with her departing). The others have never worked a Wednesday morning and had no idea what threading that needle can be like. 

So, yesterday, I had them both come in early. Won't always be that way, but I needed them both to know how to do the burger prep and put up the food delivery properly. We worked together, and got all that done (so weird that that scenario has never happened in four years). Most importantly, it turned out to be a pretty busy day, getting all that done, and it didn't feel like the wheels were falling off. In the past, on the main cook's day off, a big day was really hard to pull off. It was always my most difficult day of the week because we didn't do anything differently. Not much point, when it's only one day a week, but obviously, things are different now.

And for the first time, really, I'm actually teaching people. Not that I didn't at all before, but it was different. The departing cook has been off and on since she was 15 (30 years ago). I didn't teach her to cook from the ground up. It was a fine tuning, and really me just figuring out how to fit in with what she does best (though she actually wasn't the main cook when I got there). The biggest thing was putting her there, supporting her the best I can, and letting her shine. On the details, we discussed them figured out what worked best. A great system and relationship for that specific scenario, but not the way it needs to go now.

So, I'm teaching the one girl how to cook from the ground up. From the basics to the philosophy and reasoning behind why we do it a certain way. She's got a generally good handle so far. Good enough that she can handle it for an hour here and there while I get other stuff done. I'm always close by and know what's going on if she has questions. We haven't gotten to the point where she can handle the grill when it gets totally crazy (that will take a long time), but she's starting to be able to stack some orders with me in a support role. By the time lunch hits, I get her back out on the floor doing what she does best for now. Running the grill during lunch can be a total gauntlet. She'll be ready one day, but I'm not close to putting that on her yet. And I'm going to tell you, she's a rainmaker out on the floor. Her biggest challenge there is every male customer is trying to get her phone number and some of the female customers too. Even if she did one day develop into a star line cook, she'd still probably be more important on the floor. They share tips, so the rest of the staff surely wants her there.

One "down the road" item is knife skills. At the moment, we've never had anybody else with proper knife skills. I learned years ago on my own, but it just takes a whole bunch of time and practice. "Home cooking knife skills" really aren't applicable here. Not when you need to fine dice a few quarts of onions quickly, and most importantly, safely (I realize many places have equipment for such things, but I don't think they do as good of job as a good knife in the right hands and cleaning them is such a pain that it's not worth the trouble). I'm showing them the basics of the pinch grip, finger tuck, and guide knuckle. Not encouraging a ton of practice just yet. It's a delicate time, and I don't need somebody cutting themselves right now. But I know the pinch grip along took me about a month of doing it about an hour a day to finally feel comfortable. 

So, maybe, one day. But for now, they are showing they can handle things while I have to get the knife work done. So that's all I need.

I'm still not totally sure on the real reasoning behind the cook leaving, but I'm absolutely confident that the change it has sparked is critical for us. It's forced me to the type of leader that teaches and trusts, and I can see a fire in their eyes from it. This had to happen, and I'm thankful to have gotten pushed into it.

I don't think about it much, and I'm absolutely comfortable with what we've got, but a day ever came that the cook wanted to come back, there'd be a place for that. I think the hours would be there to suit everyone, and she'd be entering an even better place than the one she left.

We're going to keep getting better, and becoming more of a team than ever before. At some point, we'll need one more. Who that may be, I'm not overly concerned with.
It is amazing how a widget is a widget.  I work with multi billion dollar deals and the teaching process is oddly the same.  Keep doing what you do!

The week keeps getting weirder. An hour after yesterday's updated about my niece's first day, one of the two main girls called out (she does this a lot, she's the one whose hours I had to cut back in January to hire the "new girl", we'll call her Jessica).

With my niece gone to NC, and the departing cook training for her new place (they open Friday), it was down to me and Jessica. 

We've run a number of "two-man days" in the past, a little over 30 of them, but it's been a while (Jessica doesn't miss days, even if she is always a little late). With the cook's departure, Jessica is the main beneficiary of hours/money, and the key person here that we'll have to rely on going forward. I've been training her to cook over the last week or so. 

The timing of this day is important. I wasn't planning on a grueling day yesterday, but Jessica and I needed one more good tune-up. She's coming along as a cook and is a hell of a worker, but needed to be put in some more difficult high-stress situations. We're developing a good rhythm, but nothing's better than a two-man day for fine tuning that. It can be done, but the restaurant isn't really designed to be run by two people. I've had a lot of fears to deal with in the previous cook departing, but this is the biggest. The departing cook and I had a (forgive me for using this word, but it's the only one) synergy where we could easily find clarity in the most chaotic situations. It can only be developed from impossible situations.

Anyway, Jessica absolutely crushed it. It wasn't perfect, which is good, we've got things to work on, but she crushed it. We shattered the previous two-man day record (I keep a record book on them). Wednesday is also delivery day. It's a precarious time trying to get the truck delivery put up while getting orders out. It basically takes one person out of play for a while. Usually me because I can put it up and still help out some, but it means the other person largely has to run the place themselves for a while. The departing cook was great at it (another big fear). 

So, Jessica got her shot, and did far better than I expected (not that I doubt her, it's just hard and takes time to get there). She got put in some cooking situations that I might not have let her handle totally on her own just yet, but I had no choice. The delivery was here and had to be put up. 

She's still got some work to do on her eggs (the departing cook is known as the Egg Whisperer), but I can help get her there (I'm pretty sure I discovered the issue yesterday). I did get back on the grill right before the lunch rush. There's a day coming soon when I'm going to turn her loose there, but I still need to take that slowly. Remember, my departing cook that's been there off and on for 30 years is moving down the street. Whoever is cooking at our place is going to face a ton of scrutiny. I've been dealing with it for years, and think I've largely won everybody over (and I sure as hell hope so now). It's still going to take Jessica some time, but until we get there, I'm going to try to take most of the arrows myself. 

We need her to be able to handle the grill, but she knows it's unlikely that that's ever going to be her main long-term role. She's a rainmaker out on the floor. It's actually not really my preferred role either. But having multiple people in the building that can handle it is important. The food of course is very important, but we succeed on service. The grill is probably the most difficult single thing to learn here, but our menu isn't rocket science either. No matter what happens with food coming out, I still ultimately believe that what matters most is that the customers are dealing with a staff that's busting their ### with a great attitude. In the grand scheme of things, an order taking a couple minutes longer than normal isn't a huge deal and people will largely forgive when they see maximum effort.

So, yesterday ended up being the exact day we needed, and hopefully, we can keep building.

Only just read through this thread today and checked out your FB page. Love the updates and wish you nothing but the best. You're a good dude. :thumbup:

Are you in any danger with this possible dam break?
Basement took on a good amount of water (spent most of Thursday night funneling water to the sump pump), but don't think I'd be in the zone if the dam broke. Home and business are close to the dam, but higher elevation (not sure how much higher). My neighborhoods weren't listed as evacuation areas when they were worried it could fail late Thursday night. But I can't even comprehend what happens when a dam fails, so I really wouldn't know for sure. We got a break in the rain yesterday (less than expected), and as far as I know, the dam isn't considered an immediate risk for failure at the moment. I've been lucky so far, when much of the city hasn't. 

Flooding led to another crazy day in a crazy week. Some staff couldn't make it, others had others had to come late, but the public surely came. Huge day severely understaffed for most of it, and by the time they got there, we were so far behind on the behind the scenes stuff (prep work and dishes, mainly), that there was really no coming back from it. We closed 1.5 hours early just to give ourselves a chance to get prepped for today. It was either that or everyone stay way, way past regular closing yesterday to get prepped for today (which should be another big one). They'd given their all yesterday (not to mention this whole crazy week), but I felt that would be asking too much.

Even with losing an hour and a half yesterday, our biggest week yet is still in play. It would take close to our best day ever, and it's not likely, but possible. Either way, one of our biggest weeks ever in our first week since the departed cook has been gone has been good for us. I couldn't have picked a better training program for the rest of the staff, and myself. Getting through today won't be easy. It never is, and I'm always in some state of fatigue, but this one has taken a particular physical toll on all of us.

Basement took on a good amount of water (spent most of Thursday night funneling water to the sump pump), but don't think I'd be in the zone if the dam broke. Home and business are close to the dam, but higher elevation (not sure how much higher). My neighborhoods weren't listed as evacuation areas when they were worried it could fail late Thursday night. But I can't even comprehend what happens when a dam fails, so I really wouldn't know for sure. We got a break in the rain yesterday (less than expected), and as far as I know, the dam isn't considered an immediate risk for failure at the moment. I've been lucky so far, when much of the city hasn't. 

Flooding led to another crazy day in a crazy week. Some staff couldn't make it, others had others had to come late, but the public surely came. Huge day severely understaffed for most of it, and by the time they got there, we were so far behind on the behind the scenes stuff (prep work and dishes, mainly), that there was really no coming back from it. We closed 1.5 hours early just to give ourselves a chance to get prepped for today. It was either that or everyone stay way, way past regular closing yesterday to get prepped for today (which should be another big one). They'd given their all yesterday (not to mention this whole crazy week), but I felt that would be asking too much.

Even with losing an hour and a half yesterday, our biggest week yet is still in play. It would take close to our best day ever, and it's not likely, but possible. Either way, one of our biggest weeks ever in our first week since the departed cook has been gone has been good for us. I couldn't have picked a better training program for the rest of the staff, and myself. Getting through today won't be easy. It never is, and I'm always in some state of fatigue, but this one has taken a particular physical toll on all of us.
You can do it!

We didn't pull off the biggest week, but it was still a pretty big day (2nd biggest week of the year so far). It was the most encouraging kind of good day. I thought it was slow all day. Other than one big rush that could've/should've gone better, it felt so slow I was starting to worry. I don't worry about slow times that often, but with the departing cook's new place opening, I'm certainly on edge. They had a soft open Friday, I assume a full launch yesterday (I don't follow the details that closely, I just don't want to know because I know it can get in my head). There were times yesterday that I started to wonder about potential siphoning. The other place is primarily a bar that should do the vast majority of our business at night (when the departed cook isn't even working). But I still worry.

So, a big day that didn't feel big is good. It means we are heading in the right direction. Though, there are still some pieces to figure out. For now, I still feel like our best bet when it gets nuts is me on the grill and the other 2 main girls on the floor. Jessica coming along great with the grill, but I don't think ready for that yet. The problem is, while the 2 girls on the floor is great in a bunch of ways (both super friendly, caring people you want as the face of your business), there's a speed element missing. They aren't getting orders fast enough. They are almost too friendly. They want to know how your mama and dem are doing, but when people are piling in the door, there's just no time for that. With the old way, the departing cook was on the grill, one of the girls on the floor, and I floated back and forth filling in the gaps wherever I was needed the most. And getting orders fast is critical. The departing cook was never on an island, even when it seemed like it. I could go get 4 orders in a couple of minutes, and then be there to help get orders out, set her up, ring people up, run food, whatever. When I was getting orders, I was really thinking about the 5 other things that I needed to do in the next 30 seconds. Then there's the maniacal drink refilling, table bussing, prepping for the next rush. Taking too long to get one order throws the rhythm off in so many ways they aren't seeing yet (they've always had me on the floor with them filling in those gaps).  

So, we're missing that right now. And I don't know how to get it/teach them to do it. They are trying like hell,  and I think we'll get there.I think it's just going to take more rushes going sideways. Most importantly, they relish the chaos and don't mind me barking a little more than I used to. We can work through it.

And I get the feeling that with every passing day, bringing the departed cook back if she wants will get more complicated. The 2 main girls are getting better. They want her back and know they'd have to give back a little do it (and with the exhaustion of this week, I think they'd take small hit in hours/money to not be quite as exhausted everyday). But the real gut-wrencher might be my niece. She's starting to really like working here (and she's really, really good). She understands that, as of now, if the departed cook wants to come back, I pretty much have to bring her back, and that all but eliminate my nieces hours. But I know she'd be disappointed, and that eats me up inside. But we'll cross that bridge when/if we get to it.

Great effin’ thread!

What a journey...I know it’s one thing to update an MB.  But one day, you may want to actually write a book about this.  Know time seems to be at a minimum, but food for thought.

I have a feeling I've got what feels like an impossible decision coming, maybe sooner than I'd hoped. By all accounts, the departed cook isn't liking her new job so far (of course). We are in contact regularly, and maybe she's feeding me a load of horse#### (she's under no obligation not to), but it doesn't sound like she likes it. It's early and things could get better, and surely, she'll like a paycheck with all that overtime (she only worked 35 hours with me, though she basically had free reign to work more). She's very good, and I'm sure things will get better. We'll see.

But my niece is becoming more and more of a factor. She's got the speed, great attitude, vision, laser focus, and love of the crap work nobody else wants to do that simply makes my life a little easier when she's in the building. I knew she'd be good. Had no idea she'd be this good. I swear it's not just a bias from an uncle that loves her dearly.

I'm starting to consider things that would open up opportunities for more people, but as it stands in the short-term, it appears I've got what feels like an impossible choice on the horizon. The departed cook that I miss quite a bit and was in a near panic wondering how we'd ever make it without. Or my 18 year old niece, my favorite kid in the world and a hell of a worker, but I still have no idea how long she'll even live in this city. Logically, bringing the cook back if she wants makes the most sense given my niece's uncertainty. But I have no idea how I could look that kid in the eye and say no. She'd understand (we've discussed all of this), but I know she'd be disappointed. 

We aren't at that bridge yet, so I shouldn't worry about it. But of course I am.

I have a feeling I've got what feels like an impossible decision coming, maybe sooner than I'd hoped. By all accounts, the departed cook isn't liking her new job so far (of course). We are in contact regularly, and maybe she's feeding me a load of horse#### (she's under no obligation not to), but it doesn't sound like she likes it. It's early and things could get better, and surely, she'll like a paycheck with all that overtime (she only worked 35 hours with me, though she basically had free reign to work more). She's very good, and I'm sure things will get better. We'll see.

But my niece is becoming more and more of a factor. She's got the speed, great attitude, vision, laser focus, and love of the crap work nobody else wants to do that simply makes my life a little easier when she's in the building. I knew she'd be good. Had no idea she'd be this good. I swear it's not just a bias from an uncle that loves her dearly.

I'm starting to consider things that would open up opportunities for more people, but as it stands in the short-term, it appears I've got what feels like an impossible choice on the horizon. The departed cook that I miss quite a bit and was in a near panic wondering how we'd ever make it without. Or my 18 year old niece, my favorite kid in the world and a hell of a worker, but I still have no idea how long she'll even live in this city. Logically, bringing the cook back if she wants makes the most sense given my niece's uncertainty. But I have no idea how I could look that kid in the eye and say no. She'd understand (we've discussed all of this), but I know she'd be disappointed. 

We aren't at that bridge yet, so I shouldn't worry about it. But of course I am.
One of the best things about a small family-owned business is that it's perfectly acceptable to put family first.

How about you use that opportunity (should it arise) to give yourself time off. Take 2 days off a week. Cut yourself back to 50hrs. Work On the business, not IN the business, as they say. Sounds like between the 2 of them they have the chops to do most of the stuff you're scared to let go off. 

How about you use that opportunity (should it arise) to give yourself time off. Take 2 days off a week. Cut yourself back to 50hrs. Work On the business, not IN the business, as they say. Sounds like between the 2 of them they have the chops to do most of the stuff you're scared to let go off. 
Sounds like an amazing idea! 

Oh, and the most important update of the week...thanks a better friend than I deserve, we started selling Green Chile Cheeseburgers this week.

He's shipping Hatch chiles out of N.M. for now. Trying to find somebody to grow something similar locally (a really nice Anaheim would do in a pinch) for when he moves back East and my supply dries up.
I was just sifting through this thread.. do you still have these?  My wife is from NM, and we are both big fans, but not many places sell them locally.  My wife buys about 20 pounds of Hatch green chile every year from a UNM Alumni Association event in the DC area; we roast/freeze and then cook them throughout the year.

Will have to keep this in mind next time that I make it through the Lynchburg area.  Driving down to a lake on the VA/NC border in a few weeks (and meeting with my wife's NM family), but I'm guessing we'll take 95/85 instead of 81.

+10000000000

I was just sifting through this thread.. do you still have these?  My wife is from NM, and we are both big fans, but not many places sell them locally.  My wife buys about 20 pounds of Hatch green chile every year from a UNM Alumni Association event in the DC area; we roast/freeze and then cook them throughout the year.

Will have to keep this in mind next time that I make it through the Lynchburg area.  Driving down to a lake on the VA/NC border in a few weeks (and meeting with my wife's NM family), but I'm guessing we'll take 95/85 instead of 81.
We do. Though I've switched to ordering them through Amazon. These from NM Chile Co. My buddy was shipping them, and they were good, but inconsistent. The chiles through Amazon/NM Foods are just a lot better. Consistent and always a good heat. 

Great advice, and it has officially "arisen".

Yesterday was a gut-wrenching day. The night before, my niece mentioned how much she loved it here, so that's when I mentioned that the departed cook had been telling me how much she hated her new job and that I wasn't sure what I'd do when the call came. She had to know where I was at before getting her hopes up even more.  I tried to let her know it was a tough call because she's (my niece) so much better than I expected. She wasn't flipping out about it, but certainly disappointed. She went down to NC to see her boyfriend for a couple of days, and I later found out she did it to give me some space to figure this out.

And the call came from the departed cook (we'll call her Monica). Everything we'd warned her about with this new job came true, and far worse than we'd feared. Now, Monica didn't do a very good job of getting the details on the new job (like I begged her to do before making this decision), but it sounds like he didn't come through on what he said. The money was far worse than he promised, and the hours even worse than he promised. You know, all the typical crap that comes with being a "manager" in a restaurant. Horrible hours and crappy pay. 

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. My niece being here is only temporary. Could be a month, could be a year, or anything in between. That's a major factor here. I texted her some last night, and she again made it clear it's very temporary (what combination of that was her trying let me off the hook or maybe even her being upset with me, I don't know). 

I love that girl so much and love working with her. I even expect that not having her work here consistently will shorten her stay. But from a business perspective, bringing Monica back just makes too much sense. I love my niece, but retaining a very good long-term employee has to take precedence over getting hours for my niece for, likely, a few months. All that stuff I whined and moaned about weeks ago is still there. Monica is someone that's meant a great deal to this business and to me for a long time. It's just not in me to leave her in the lurch, no matter how dumb of a decision she made. She's a single mom with bills to pay (while my niece gets sorted out, her uncle is making sure she's got what she needs and more). 

My own family is and has always been supportive, though I can tell there is some disappointment on that end for how this might work out. We're super close, but I haven't been around much over the last couple of decades. I want so dearly to come through for "one of my own". 

So, I'm trying to figure it out, and yes, your suggestion is likely where it has to go. It's been a long couple weeks, so I've got to find the mental energy to do that. 

Though, one option is extending the hours (even on a short-term trial basis). We close at 3 now. Closed at 8 as recently as 1.5 years ago (heck, it was 24 hours 15 years ago). My niece and Jessica would make a dynamite evening crew. I'd have to figure out the details, but it's a consideration. Oh, btw, Jessica was the night manager at Weenie Stand #2 many years ago (WS2 was wildly successful, but got a god father offer on the land from O'Reilly Auto Parts in 2010). She's been dropping that bug for the 6 months she's been here. 

Though, one option is extending the hours (even on a short-term trial basis). We close at 3 now. Closed at 8 as recently as 1.5 years ago (heck, it was 24 hours 15 years ago). My niece and Jessica would make a dynamite evening crew. I'd have to figure out the details, but it's a consideration. Oh, btw, Jessica was the night manager at Weenie Stand #2 many years ago (WS2 was wildly successful, but got a god father offer on the land from O'Reilly Auto Parts in 2010). She's been dropping that bug for the 6 months she's been here. 
See, work on the biz, not in the biz as @Sebowski said!

Make it a trial and see how it goes. Perhaps try not to make it as aggressive as going head to head with the new bar (maybe stay open until 6 or 7). If and when your niece leaves you can decide whether the best course forward is to scale back or hire someone else. Can the 71 y.o. cover some of the slack times in front?

Just a few ideas

See, work on the biz, not in the biz as @Sebowski said!

Make it a trial and see how it goes. Perhaps try not to make it as aggressive as going head to head with the new bar (maybe stay open until 6 or 7). If and when your niece leaves you can decide whether the best course forward is to scale back or hire someone else. Can the 71 y.o. cover some of the slack times in front?

Just a few ideas
Likely moving forward with it, maybe even as soon as Monday, planning on closing at 6PM. It's a risk, on a number of levels. Night business was solid, but not booming when we cut, and it's been gone for a little over a year. We've got to be aggressive trying to get it back, and it'll take some time. Though, we've had many pleas to bring it back. It should just be a matter of getting the word out. And at the outset, I'll be working to close most days, coming in a lot later (with the cook that left/came back handling the early morning stuff). I'd always said I think I could drive night business if I was there myself (before, it as a close knit crew covering it, not generally the way I'd do it myself). Whether me or or any combination of the current staff, the people working those hours will certainly handle it better than it was before. 

And I've got to count on people like never before. Great staff, but if some of the old habits creep back in, this will just add more to my already filled plate. If it works, the path to some time off is clear. But the staff seems gung-ho. New cook is all-in of course (the job she tried was the absolute perfect disaster she needed to see). The rest have driven this a lot. I mentioned the idea, and they've pushed me to do it. They love the cook and want her back badly. They've also grown to like my niece a lot (she's a great kid and very good), and they see how happy I am to have her around. 

But if they do let me down, that'll help determine who keeps hours when/if the time comes that I buckle from having to carry the load and cut hours back. But I believe they'll come through (the cook hating that other job so utterly is fantastic for morale overall).

I think this is all what this was meant to lead to. 

Of course, my niece still doesn't know about the idea. She's still down in NC with her boyfriend, giving me a couple of days to work this out. I've told her I've got an idea, but not what it is (waiting to tell her in person or even over the phone). As far as she knows, the cook wants to come back, I'm likely to do it, and that leaves her own hours up in the air (and potentially zero). She was some combination of disappointed and possibly even pissed with me when she went back down (she was really starting to like it here, more than I even knew). She's gone dark on me for the last 36 hours. Most likely, she's just an 18 YO hanging out with her boyfriend not paying much attention to her phone. There are other possibilities though. She's due back today, so we'll find out. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the 71 YO has been having some health problems and called earlier in the week, right in the middle of this, to tell me her doc said she can't work anymore. I love the old woman dearly and she's meant so much to this place for almost 50 years. I just haven't had time to process it and properly address the situation. I'll get to it. I'm worried about her a lot. Not being able to work anymore absolutely sucks, especially when it's a place you've loved for so many years. 

I think the suggestion was to scale back your hours a little to give yourself a little break and extend those hours to your employees, not to stay open longer and add more stress to your life.

But if they do let me down, that'll help determine who keeps hours when/if the time comes that I buckle from having to carry the load and cut hours back. But I believe they'll come through (the cook hating that other job so utterly is fantastic for morale overall).
They won't let you down, not anytime soon.

Of course, my niece still doesn't know about the idea. She's still down in NC with her boyfriend, giving me a couple of days to work this out. I've told her I've got an idea, but not what it is (waiting to tell her in person or even over the phone). As far as she knows, the cook wants to come back, I'm likely to do it, and that leaves her own hours up in the air (and potentially zero). She was some combination of disappointed and possibly even pissed with me when she went back down (she was really starting to like it here, more than I even knew). She's gone dark on me for the last 36 hours. Most likely, she's just an 18 YO hanging out with her boyfriend not paying much attention to her phone. There are other possibilities though. She's due back today, so we'll find out. 
She needs to know that her hours are safe and potentially increasing. So let her know the moment she is through the door.

You have a solid number of likes on your FB page. Do a buy one, get 50% off second coupon (or something like it) for after 3pm to ramp up new hours.  Also make an announcement on FB of new hours and have a drawing for $25 off coupon for anyone that shares that post.

Likely moving forward with it, maybe even as soon as Monday, planning on closing at 6PM. It's a risk, on a number of levels. Night business was solid, but not booming when we cut, and it's been gone for a little over a year. We've got to be aggressive trying to get it back, and it'll take some time. Though, we've had many pleas to bring it back. It should just be a matter of getting the word out. And at the outset, I'll be working to close most days, coming in a lot later (with the cook that left/came back handling the early morning stuff). I'd always said I think I could drive night business if I was there myself (before, it as a close knit crew covering it, not generally the way I'd do it myself). Whether me or or any combination of the current staff, the people working those hours will certainly handle it better than it was before. 

And I've got to count on people like never before. Great staff, but if some of the old habits creep back in, this will just add more to my already filled plate. If it works, the path to some time off is clear. But the staff seems gung-ho. New cook is all-in of course (the job she tried was the absolute perfect disaster she needed to see). The rest have driven this a lot. I mentioned the idea, and they've pushed me to do it. They love the cook and want her back badly. They've also grown to like my niece a lot (she's a great kid and very good), and they see how happy I am to have her around. 

I think this is all what this was meant to lead to. 

18 yr girls "not paying much attention to to their phone" is a fairy tale in my experience :lol:

msommer said:
They won't let you down, not anytime soon.

She needs to know that her hours are safe and potentially increasing. So let her know the moment she is through the door.
I've got 3 that I know won't let me down. A 4th that I've got some faith in, but has a history of letting me down (she's just been a stay at home mom for so many years and has a household full of adult kids with busy lives and no drivers licenses). She's a fantastic person which is why she's still here, but her role as a chauffer and nurse to anyone with sniffles will always come first. Much of yesterday, I pondered skipping the extended hours and just firing her. But that's not me, and the extended hours is what makes me the most nervous and will provide the most opportunity for others, so I'm going with that. We'll roll with it and deal with it she lets me down (not planning on counting on her for a ton).

The rest of them have a fire about them for this. The returning cook worked yesterday (see person #4 ####ting the bed on me on a Friday again). She's largely the key to this. She's going to anchor the mornings until I get there (most days, not until 9 or 10) to free me up to try to build the night business back up (mostly) with my niece. That other job was so unbelievably awful. She's always been a great person to work with, but having that experience under her belt seems to have lit a new fire under her. She knows I initially went against my family in a way to bring her back. Her job now (among other things) is to help me make this right for my niece.

BTW, we have a bunch of loyal regulars, but the biggest regular of all played a huge role in this. While she was gone, I gave her her space (outside of texts every couple of days), but he'd stop by her new place regularly to check-in. Earlier this week, when the final blow up happened, he happened to be there. She went and hugged him. He told her to call me immediately and that's when I got the call wanting to come home (I didn't discuss specifics with him, but he'd been watching my niece and knew my window might be closing).

I couldn't officially go with the plan until I ran it by my niece which didn't happen until late last night. She got in a fender bender she had to deal with, but made the trip back so she could work today (she's totally my niece). She's excited, of course. And really, the main reason I'm doing this (instead of the simpler option of just firing the least committed person) is that it's the biggest bet I can make on her. However this works out, I need her to know just how much I believe in her. 

Anyway, I gotta run. Supposed to start training my new opener today. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm afraid she might get into work before I do.

So glad we chose the extended hours over Plan B (firing a beloved employee). Some of the girls knew plan B was an option, so you could see their excitement and relief when they saw the extended hours signage when they came in yesterday. These people all love each other so much, and they'd have understood the reasons, but it would've sucked. Extending hours is the path of believing in people, and plan B would've been a decision made out of fear. So the choice is obvious, even if I gave it some thought.

But man, yesterday was so awesome having the family back together again, everyone busting their ###, relying on one another, excited about the challenge ahead. I don't know if I'll ever step foot into that restaurant that spent a year plotting to try steal our cook, only to completely mistreat her when she got there throwing our little world into turmoil in the process.  He sounds like a legitimate #######, but I kind of want to go buy him a beer and thank him. We've always had a great staff, but I can't imagine a better scenario than the turmoil of this last month to help us all get better. 

Watching them all work together so beautifully yesterday was a bit emotional for me. Obviously, I care about the people that work here quite a lot, but there's something extra special about my niece being a part of it, of course. I have a wonderful family back home. We have a great relationship, but being separated from them sucks (though this is all the beginning of helping me get back there more often). Having that kid, that I can see parts of every person in my family in, be a part of what we're building here is a complete dream come true. 

I even left the building to run some errands yesterday (on a really busy Saturday!). I don't remember the last time that's happened (it was way back in the early days over 3 years ago when we were just way overstaffed). It was like a weight had been lifted.

I'm doing something this morning I haven't done in years. Sitting on my ### at home while someone else opens the place up! Monica (the returning cook) knows I'm available if she's got questions, but I trust her to figure it out (we've discussed most things, but I know I forgot a few things).

The Facebook post about the extended hours seems to be going well. It's always hard to gauge how much FB response will lead to actual revenue, but the response so far is encouraging. I couldn't get road signs ordered Saturday, but hoping to have those printed and put up by Wednesday.

If we can just drive those hours a little, it's going to be pretty lucrative for my niece. It's funny because although the entire staff knows they'll have to work some evenings (except Monica if she's the anchor in the mornings to allow all of this), I can feel that they all greatly prefer mornings. But I remember working evenings, and what they don't know is that the best money making shift is closing with me. My niece doesn't want me to tell them that part.

@pollardsvision man, this is a beautiful read. Just reminds me how much impact one person can have, when they really truly care and commit to something. As grateful as you are to have all of your family (blood and work) they're lucky as hell to have you. Looking forward to reading about continued success. 

Weird Day 1. Somehow, it ended up with me firing the one girl that I almost decided to fire instead of extending the hours. She's like a big sister to me and I don't feel good about it, but I think it makes sense. New schedule came out, and she was shocked that she was only getting 22 hours even though we expanded the hours. Understandable, but I explained it was hard to even get her hours, as she's the only one that can't/won't open or close. Even if she could, I wouldn't be able to trust her to without me being paranoid of getting texts at bad times for all the random reasons she can't make it in (she's the one I cut back to 12 hours a week to make room for Jessica in January).  This all might sound harsh, but you've got to trust me, I've spent 4 years having her leave me hanging so that she could drive driving age kids around town or stay at home with 22 year olds that have the sniffles. Basically, she's an awesome person, but has always just worked when it's convenient for her. She doesn't really want or need to work that much. Her husband could buy and sell me many times over, they've got 5 working adults in the household. She just wants to make enough money to keep her husband off her ### about the money she spends going out to eat.

The timing of her rant about the hours was just a bad one. I'd spent most of the morning getting the sense that Monica and Jessica were a little nervous about getting the right hours with this new plan. They trust me and are assured that I'm going to make it work for them, but clearly, they were nervous. 

I don't know exactly how to feel about it, but when faced with the choice of making it easier to find hours for workhorse single moms with bills to pay at the expense of someone that really doesn't need/want to work that much, I decided to go the route that would make it easier to get hours for those that need them. I generally make most decisions with that sort of thing in mind.

Still sticking with the extended hours for now. Last night was pretty slow, but it was a Monday and we're still getting the word out. And my niece and I don't mind sticking it out for some slow hours for a while to see if there's potential. We can both get a lot of prep work done, and she doesn't mind working the less well-paid hours (if it takes off, it would be very well paid). She's got free rent, and mostly just wants to stay busy living in a new place not knowing many people yet.

Thanks for keeping this thread going. As someone who has spent the better part of 40 years in commercial kitchens, I enjoy reading the updates. A couple times in my life, I had the opportunity to open my own place and decided not to. For me the ability to go home after work and not take the problems home with me was the driving force. That and knowing I would spend most of my waking hours at work with a high chance of failure outweighed the possibility of success. I commend you for what you are doing, I know it is not easy but it sounds like you are beating the odds. Keep up the good work and keep us posted

I love reading the updates and don't have much to add except this. Don't go to the other restaurant and buy him a beer, that is a very passive aggressive f off, you moron. Don't let him know he made a mistake, it is difficult to do, but the best revenge for you and Monica is the type he never seen coming. Also you seem like a no nonsense, straight forward guy, being passive aggressive is the exact opposite of that. 

Keep doing good work and if my family ever makes it out that way we will stop in. 

Likely giving the week-long 6:00 closing just the rest of the week before adjusting. So far two really slow nights, one solid. I expect FRI/SAT will see an uptick.

The whole week, I've been putting together schedules and analyzing likely profitability under different scenarios. The focus on all is what would work best for the staff (including myself). The likely landing spot will either be a straight 4:00 closing or Mon-Thurs.4:00 and then 6:00 on Fri/Sat. Either of those scenarios give the staff what they'd need in terms of hours/money/lifestyle, should be plenty profitable, and would get me a whole lot closer to a suitable long-term lifestyle. Both options keep me right around 50 hours per week.

Getting back to some hybrid of the old (3:00) system is important for the staff. The 3:00 was absolutely perfect for them. I designed it to be so. I never stressed it enough before (and should've), but it wasn't sustainable. It was going to completely burn me out at some point. Not in coming months, but at some point. There are some nerves on their part. They aren't panicking, but certainly going from that insanely lucrative model to something where they may make a little less is a tricky path. All the hybrid models should work great. It's still the only restaurant job I can think of where they can make this kind of money on such a convenient schedule (particularly for parents). The 6:00 everyday plan is clearly the one that makes them the most nervous, and even though I kind of like the schedule, I know I won't long-term. 

I hate to jerk customers around not knowing hours, but they'll be alright with a week of misdirection as we dial this in. The 3:00 change initially was a major one, and this will be far less interruptive/confusing by comparison. But it has to happen quick and get settled to give the staff some peace of mind. 

I don't know what the long-term impact for these past couple of weeks will be, but the exciting thing is right now I appear to have a reliable opener and developing options for reliable closers. I didn't have that 2 weeks ago. I opened and closed the place alone for over a year and a half now.

Thanks for keeping this thread going. As someone who has spent the better part of 40 years in commercial kitchens, I enjoy reading the updates. A couple times in my life, I had the opportunity to open my own place and decided not to. For me the ability to go home after work and not take the problems home with me was the driving force. That and knowing I would spend most of my waking hours at work with a high chance of failure outweighed the possibility of success. I commend you for what you are doing, I know it is not easy but it sounds like you are beating the odds. Keep up the good work and keep us posted
I got really lucky walking into a well-established place. I couldn't imagine building a place from scratch. I may try one day (I've got to do something with the free time I'm hopefully opening up), but that seems like an entirely different animal. 

I love reading the updates and don't have much to add except this. Don't go to the other restaurant and buy him a beer, that is a very passive aggressive f off, you moron. Don't let him know he made a mistake, it is difficult to do, but the best revenge for you and Monica is the type he never seen coming. Also you seem like a no nonsense, straight forward guy, being passive aggressive is the exact opposite of that. 

Keep doing good work and if my family ever makes it out that way we will stop in. 
Oh, I ain't going there. You are correct, that's not me. Plus he just doesn't sound like somebody I'd care to have a beer with.

We're back to closing at 3:00. We tried the 6:00 thing for a little over a week. I know that's not enough time, but I was never really all that interested in pushing for it. I was just trying it as a way to get people hours, and if I saw some surprising potential, I'd have gone with it (but I didn't). My niece and I were handling staying until 6:00 (it just wasn't going to be busy enough to justify paying someone else to stay for those hours). We got some good prep work done in the slow times, but it was incredibly boring. 

But we're a breakfast and lunch place and that works so well for us.  I had been planning on trying it out a little longer, but when I showed the staff a revised schedule to go back to a 3:00 closing, I could see the relief on their face. So, I just made the change immediately (before the few customers coming in later got too used to it).  I like it so much better too. As much as I liked not going in until 10:00 most days, not getting home until 7:00 sucked. I went a week and a half without mowing my yard. 

With the changes that have happened over the month or so (cook leaving, me training the others more in the meantime, my niece being a good worker and also eager to help with the behind the scenes stuff), I'm definitely closer to a more suitable lifestyle.

I actually got back to NC to see my folks last weekend. My niece basically forced me. With all my usual Sunday stuff that serves as an excuse not to go home, she took them down one by one until I had nothing else to do but go home (and I'm going to tell you, drinking way, way too late with my awesome Mom was so worth an exhausting Monday). I can't thank that kid enough.

I've got some old college buddies coming into town over Labor Day to do a live fantasy draft that we've been planning, but still haven't done, despite 15 years of trying. I'm even going to take a day off (and a couple late mornings) to get way too drunk with them. 

@pollardsvision I know you are probably busier than the majority of the folks in this thread but I would love to hear the latest on the restaurant. Still rooting for you and plan on getting there one of these days! 
We're very fortunate that things are kind of ho hum here. Business is good, staff is good.

Really, the only update is that my niece is likely going to be moving away in the next month or so to Florida with my brother and her step-mom that she hates 90% of the time (being away from her for a few months has allowed her to forget why she hates her, so it's back to the 10% of the time for now).  That's a bit of a big deal. I'm not upset, but I shook my business up quite a bit, in large part, to make room for her. Now, I always knew it was very temporary and was fine doing that knowing it was temporary. If at any point, I expected any other outcome, it's my fault. She's a great kid, and I love her to death. So, I was wiling to take a risk if it meant betting on her and making sure she knows I care about her and believe in her. She needed help, so I helped for a bit and it was a fun experience. 

So, this change means I've probably got to hire somebody part-time soon (which I've done very little of). It's a great well-paid job, but finding just the right person is tricky. But we'll figure it out. 

Likely, I'll be going, hat in hand, back to the person I fired a few months ago. No idea if she'll be receptive, but it's possible and I hope she is. I miss her and we were super close before this (even if she was far from a perfect employee). I've always tried to do the right thing, and I never felt right about that one (even though it was really the only option at the time to help my niece out the best I could).  

If she's not, then I might just try not hiring anybody for a while. It would leave us at just 3 employees (including me). It would basically mean no days off for anybody (they say they don't want any). A big risk heading into cold/flu season, but I might try it for a little while. Well, more aptly, I'll take my time trying to find the right person and not rush it. If circumstances arise in the mean time and we have to have a random closure here and there from being too understaffed or needing to give the staff a break, so be it. We've done that in that past, and it works out fine. 

We're very fortunate that things are kind of ho hum here. Business is good, staff is good.

Really, the only update is that my niece is likely going to be moving away in the next month or so to Florida with my brother and her step-mom that she hates 90% of the time (being away from her for a few months has allowed her to forget why she hates her, so it's back to the 10% of the time for now).  That's a bit of a big deal. I'm not upset, but I shook my business up quite a bit, in large part, to make room for her. Now, I always knew it was very temporary and was fine doing that knowing it was temporary. If at any point, I expected any other outcome, it's my fault. She's a great kid, and I love her to death. So, I was wiling to take a risk if it meant betting on her and making sure she knows I care about her and believe in her. She needed help, so I helped for a bit and it was a fun experience. 

So, this change means I've probably got to hire somebody part-time soon (which I've done very little of). It's a great well-paid job, but finding just the right person is tricky. But we'll figure it out. 

Likely, I'll be going, hat in hand, back to the person I fired a few months ago. No idea if she'll be receptive, but it's possible and I hope she is. I miss her and we were super close before this (even if she was far from a perfect employee). I've always tried to do the right thing, and I never felt right about that one (even though it was really the only option at the time to help my niece out the best I could).  

If she's not, then I might just try not hiring anybody for a while. It would leave us at just 3 employees (including me). It would basically mean no days off for anybody (they say they don't want any). A big risk heading into cold/flu season, but I might try it for a little while. Well, more aptly, I'll take my time trying to find the right person and not rush it. If circumstances arise in the mean time and we have to have a random closure here and there from being too understaffed or needing to give the staff a break, so be it. We've done that in that past, and it works out fine. 
Thanks for taking the time to respond! 

Update? I saw a FB post that you were closed today. Hope all is well.
It's a little embarrassing, but we did have to close randomly Thursday because.........I got something in my eye. 

I was grilling dinner Wednesday night, and I still have no idea what, but something randomly blew into my eye. After about 30 minutes of trying to flush it out, it was still hurting like hell and I couldn't keep my eye open. Either it was out, and my eye was just scratched up, or it was still in there and I just couldn't see it. I couldn't really sleep that night, but was avoiding going to the ER (I wasn't in the mood to drop a grand on this if I didn't have to). So, I went to an opthamologist right when they opened at 8:00AM, and they got it out (it was stuck under my eyelid). Got the gunk and all that, and it healed up nicely. I made it to the restaurant by 10:00, but by then, it was really too late to get opened up.

Now, it is emblematic of a larger problem. The same one I've always had. Something, relatively minor, happened to me, and we couldn't open. I did text the staff around 7:00PM the night before, after trying get it out, that if I couldn't get it out, I'd probably have to go the doctor and get it dealt with. That was mostly to give someone a chance to say, "hey, I can come open up". That didn't happen. Even if they did open, they wouldn't have known that I could've made it in later (though I really wasn't in good shape for working the rest of that day)

Not terribly worried about either of those things. Maybe it's not the right thing, but it's the way I've chosen to do this. We roll with a very lean staff.  It helps us remain profitable, while keeping prices in check. The alternative would be higher prices, more staff, and well, less money for me. 

Maybe one day, we'll take a more typical restaurant approach, but I think it needs to be this way for now, while I can do it at this pace. Self-employment is awesome, but a job with no real benefits and no retirement plan can make one a little nervous. While I'm physically able, I've got save up as much as I possible can, while trying to come up with some other revenue streams that don't require my constant attention (those require saving as much as possible too). 

Actually considering some other ideas to cut payroll back even more at the moment. Not totally sure if I will (we're already super lean for a restaurant), but it's the same idea. I'm 39, love what I do, and trying to go balls to the wall for at least the next 5-6 years (when the building will be paid off).  I don't take a GM type of approach to this. It's my job. I love to work, and it's not like I'm just not going to work when I can. Not to mention, I do get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing what we can accomplish and pushing ourselves to the limit. It's a lot like a sport to me.

I should probably delegate a little more, but fundamentally, I'm not trying to change that approach in the near future. 

Speaking of questionable choices, I struggled with it all Friday and early Saturday morning, but I ultimately decided to close for the full day Saturday. Snow was coming. The main snow, not until Saturday night, but some of it starting around 1:00PM. Opening up and planning to close early was one option, but I've been around enough snow situations here to know it was very likely that things would be really slow. In this town, whether the threat of real snow actually happens, the threat of it usually makes things slow for us as the people in town are focused on preparing for the snow. It likely would've been a slow morning followed by us closing by noon (I don't like to risk the staff getting caught up trying to get home in bad weather).  Kind of seemed pointless to open, and it gave me a few hours to get a Sam's run in and re-anchorbar stool that I'd been trying to get to for a month. 

Otherwise, things are going fine (though January can be a little slower). Hopefully, we can go get a full week in this week (those can be hard to come by in January too).

Are students back at Liberty yet? Do you get a bump from them?
I think they are back in school, but we don't see a huge bump from the college crowd, in general. The hours don't help, closing at 3:00, and we aren't that close to Liberty, though there are a lot of students and plenty do live in our area. We get a little more of the Lynchburg College crowd (well, University of Lynchburg now). We're much closer to them. 

This has been a very interesting journey to follow over the years.  Thanks for keeping it updated and I'm glad you are doing well and love what you do.  I want an Omar dog now...

In the process of trying to take a more long-term approach. Now, not in the "developing systems for this place to run without me" way. More in the doubling down on the current "work like a dog" method, but realizing there's only so many more years I can do it this way, so I'm going to maximize long-term savings so I've got more options down the line. Living dirt-cheap, trying to pay down the home and business as early as possible, and (finally) actually investing in an IRA. I don't know what my body will feel like when I'm 50, but I want a paid off house, paid off business, and a decent chunk in retirement savings by then. I make very little, money by FBG standards, so trying to make every penny count.

This approach is currently being put to the test a little. We're in the process of getting a loan to fully pay-off the previous owner. it was owner-finance for up to five years, with a balloon payment after that. We're about to close that loan. My business partner/FIL also suggested it'd be a good time for an equipment loan for some equipment upgrades. While talking about it, I'm only half-paying attention (our discussions on this stuff happen when I'm running around the restaurant or washing dishes). In my mind, I'm thinking sure if it's 4-5% interest or something, not a bad idea, I guess. So, I go to sign for this $5000 loan and it's only then that I realize it's 11%. Immediately, I know I don't want this, but sign it anyway (I was exhausted and needed to get home, make dinner, and rest for Saturday morning). $3000 of that loan was for a necessary expense (must have a new ice maker by Spring), there's are nice to have but not totally necessary yet (or at least I thought). So, I knew I was going to get out of this loan real quick. 

We've had a process for over 4 years of dealing with equipment repairs and unexpected expenses that (luckily) don't include bank loans. I live cheap, save everything I can personally so I can loan the business what it can't cover at the moment. And equipment repairs have to be handled delicately. There's a balance. As nice it would be to upgrade things, there a couple dozen things that could bug out and cause $1000-3000 expense at any time. So you kind of have to wait until it's necessary because you don't know what's about to go next. And we keep back up units for the things that act up regularly (fryers and steamers).

Anyway, about 4:30 Friday morning, I was doing the morning budgeting, and had been staring at that $5000 loan for 7 days. It was eating away at my soul. So, I just paid the whole thing back. Scared the hell out of me (the $3000 ice maker had already been ordered), because that $5000 did represent a nice cash flow safety net, even if just for a couple of months.  But screw it, I prefer the "work like a dog and make the best decisions you can" safety net. If that ain't good enough, then it just ain't good enough. 

And like clockwork, an $1100 steamer immediately croaked (might be able to fix it, but my gut says it just needs to be replaced). A fryer acting up and my 20 year old car is starting to make some funny noises too, but that's beside the point.

I didn't realize at the time, but Friday also would've been the previous owner's 76th birthday. He was a wonderful, beloved man, and built a number of successful businesses, including this one. But when it comes to business matters, we are exact opposites. He was a borrow/spend, wheeler-dealer.  Comparatively, I'm a complete bore. Sometimes it worked brilliantly (he sold the land for Weenie Stand #2 for more money than I'll likely ever make in my life). Other times not so much. In the end, the borrowing had caught up with him. I've always been risk and debt averse, but with that in the backdrop, that philosophy becomes even more ingrained (whether it's right or wrong, I don't know). 

But anyway, it's on to figuring out how to cash flow the icemaker and steamer (and whatever else is about to go). I'm about to cut payroll back even more. And we've already cut it a lot. When I got here 4.5 years ago, we had 208 employee hours to make through each week during our current hours. Now (not counting my 70), we do it with an average of 79 hours. We've even had 3 weeks under 50 so far this year. Over the years, all the callouts for ridiculous reasons, have forced us to just figure out how to do it with less. And we've become pretty good at it. So I'm going to dial the schedule back to about 70 hours a week.

Now, I don't want to be seen as some heartless payroll slasher. I've never cut the hours of anybody that really wants/needs to work and acts accordingly. Now, what I will do (and am about to do again) is cut the hours of those that constantly miss for stupid reasons so that those that want to work can make even more, and save myself a little money in the process. There's some chance that the source of the hours reduction isn't going to take it too well, and going down to 70 hours might end up taking us down to 60 hours a week. We're prepared for either result. 

Also, on efficiency, I'm really focused on trying to get the staff to get orders faster. Now, I'm a complete bore, so getting orders fast is easy for me. I've got 15 other things to get done at the time, so my urgency is just naturally higher (I try my best to do it without seeming rude, but I certainly fail on that sometimes). But the rest of the staff is far more interesting that I am. So folks want to chit-chat with them, and they are very personable and oblige. But trying to teach them how to read body language and ask better questions to that they can find out very quickly if this person knows what they want or needs some time, so that they can better spend their time with decision makers (I come from a sales background). It's a challenge, but we're getting there. I've considered putting a sign on the door asking customers to just yell out their order upon entering. I'm only half joking. 

On a random note, Doordash has just started up around here. I don't know if you guys uses these sorts of services much, but from the other end of it, we aren't a fan (so far). We generally don't answer the phone if it's a Doordash order and we're slammed. We do that at times on other call-in orders too. People in the restaurant always take priority and when things get super crazy, a big call-in order is just too much. Doordash takes that to a new level. The person making the order is often difficult to understand, which is fine, but when I'm answering the phone, I'm usually doing a few other things at the same time. It's going to take a long time to get the order out of them, and then, of course, they are going to want a total (which drives us nuts). And about half the time, the when the driver comes to get it, the order is still wrong, and we've got to deal with them trying to get authorized for the difference. And of course, they almost never tip. Whether we answer the phone for Doordash totally depends on how busy we are at the moment. I have no idea what the consumer experience for Doordash/Grubhub is like, but some restaurants don't always love it.

Just some Sunday morning rambling.

Users who are viewing this thread