What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Killing Of Police Officers At the Hands of Criminals (1 Viewer)

Could we get a list of the crimes we're allowed to blame on political movements and those we can't blame on political movements? And perhaps also the extent to which we need to establish ties between the criminals and the movement before we can blame them?

TIA
I think you'd have to be incredibly foolish to not realize this BLM is promoting an anti-cop agenda and violence against officers is spiraling out of control.
Current count is 82 officer deaths in the line of duty, which would project to 123 on the year.

Although that may be slightly more than 2014 depending on what site you use (while that site says 133 for 2014 suggesting a decline, others say fewer), that's still less than the average for the last five years and far less than the average over the last ten years. link

Any officer killed in the line of duty is a horrible tragedy. But you can't even show a correlation between the movement and an uptick in officer shootings, let alone causation. So maybe hold off on the "incredibly foolish" stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't look up the numbers but the disturbing stat is the number of ambushed officers. Targeted just because. That's what you need to look at.

:lol: the reason people think you (RW) are a horrible poster is because you are. It is not an attack, it is a statement of fact. First off, when you 'quoted' me you went to the trouble of truncating the first word off the sentence which altered the tone in your attempt to call me a racist. Second, all of your comments about cops are gross hyperboles which are such asinine distortions they don't merit an intelligent response. Thirdly, you falsely project motivations which more accurately reflect your personality than anyone else's. There is so much wrong with everything you post, it is just stupid to engage.
So your opinions are facts?

You aren't intelligent enough to neither stop reading me nor stop responding to me based on your opinion of me?

Both say a lot more about you than it does me

7 years of inept, dog #### leadership that is afraid to hold feet to the fire.
There's a police officer dead.There are some scumbag criminals who did it who are still on the loose.

Isn't it a little soon to start blaming Obama?
I'll blame him until he stands up like a ####### man pledging his support and backing the policemen and women 100%, and vehemently denouncing this black lives matter garbage that is just promoting violence. He can end that stupid thing and you know it.
so you want the federal government to take over for the states? Do you understand how the United States functions?
Take over what?Look if Obama stood up tonight and demanded that the anti police sentiment in this country has to stop now, would you a) be bothered by him saying that? and b) think it would have any effect?

Or do you think what's going on is absolutely fine and should continue?
A) Obama called the family of the Texas cop who was killed and said - "President Obama made a condolence call Monday to Goforth's widow. Obama said he told Kathleen Goforth that he would continue to "highlight the uncommon bravery that police officers show in our communities every single day. They put their lives on the line for our safety. "Targeting police officers is completely unacceptable -- an affront to civilized society."

B) Why does Obama (or anyone) have to support police men and women 100%? They #### up too. Some of them are #######s. They hide behind a blue wall. Why should he (or anyone) support that?
OMG, really?
There is just no way to respond to that while remaining somewhat civil so I just passed. Amazing there are people that think like that.

Enough is enough. It's about time we, as Americans, be a world leader and borrow the idea of what Australia did. Ban all guns and get rid of them. It may take ten years to round them up, since we are larger than Australia, but it's about time we eliminate the tool that causes this stuff.

Blah, blah, blah, 2nd Amendment. It can and needs to be changed/reexamined.
Because criminals would automatically give up their guns because you said so. Stupid is cute but only when you are young.
Um, it would take time to get of them but they could be gotten rid of. Where there is a will, there is a way. It's sad the will of the people is not there to change this and instead keep the same rhetoric going.
Things are getting done on a state and city ordenance level. Media is just so wrapped up on the problems between both sides on a national level, that it appears nothing is getting done. Now what is being done is of course based on the political lean within the states. Some states are looking to loosen restriction on responsible gun owners while other states are banning types of guns, certain grips and bullet capacity allowed for guns. Hopefully given time we will get a better idea of which states may see less crime and hopefully convenice the political parties in our national government that there could perhaps be something that can determ gun crime. Whether that will be less or more gun control is what remains to be seen.

RBM said:
JohnnyU said:
whoknew said:
RBM said:
CGRdrJoe said:
There's a police officer dead.There are some scumbag criminals who did it who are still on the loose.

I'll blame him until he stands up like a ####### man pledging his support and backing the policemen and women 100%, and vehemently denouncing this black lives matter garbage that is just promoting violence. He can end that stupid thing and you know it.
so you want the federal government to take over for the states? Do you understand how the United States functions?
Take over what?Look if Obama stood up tonight and demanded that the anti police sentiment in this country has to stop now, would you a) be bothered by him saying that? and b) think it would have any effect?

A) Obama called the family of the Texas cop who was killed and said - "President Obama made a condolence call Monday to Goforth's widow. Obama said he told Kathleen Goforth that he would continue to "highlight the uncommon bravery that police officers show in our communities every single day. They put their lives on the line for our safety. "Targeting police officers is completely unacceptable -- an affront to civilized society."

B) Why does Obama (or anyone) have to support police men and women 100%? They #### up too. Some of them are #######s. They hide behind a blue wall. Why should he (or anyone) support that?
OMG, really?
There is just no way to respond to that while remaining somewhat civil so I just passed. Amazing there are people that think like that.
a few bad apples...............

RBM said:
JohnnyU said:
whoknew said:
RBM said:
CGRdrJoe said:

OMG, really?
So y'all's position is - support cops no matter what, 100% of the time?

That's pretty ####ed up.

RBM said:
Can't look up the numbers but the disturbing stat is the number of ambushed officers. Targeted just because. That's what you need to look at.
So if I understand you correctly, we would be foolish not to see that a statistic that you have never looked up and can't be bothered to check even now is "spiraling out of control." Is that an accurate summary of your position? Please correct me if I'm getting it wrong

RBM said:
So if I understand you correctly, we would be foolish not to see that a statistic that you have never looked up and can't be bothered to check even now is "spiraling out of control." Is that an accurate summary of your position? Please correct me if I'm getting it wrong
:goodposting:

In this case, it's going to be ok for you to maintain that condescending tone to your posts that you've been catching flack about.

RBM said:
You posted statistics on officer deaths which is not the same thing as an officer feloniously killed on duty. Another simple mistake on word definitions I am sure.

In 2013, 27 officers were feloniously (pay attention to this key word) killed on duty - the lowest in 35 years. In 2014, 51 were feloniously killed - a 89% increase. Both murders of officers and civilians were the lowest in DECADES in 2013 and for some magical reason they almost doubled last year. I am still waiting for your response from the other thread on what that "maybe" reason is...

https://www.fbi.gov/#https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2014-preliminary-statistics-for-law-enforcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty?utm_campaign=email-Immediate&utm_medium=email&utm_source=national-press-releases&utm_content=428743

RBM said:
:goodposting: In this case, it's going to be ok for you to maintain that condescending tone to your posts that you've been catching flack about.
I figure I'm not the one who called other people foolish for failing to recognize the trend spiraling out of control. In fact I appear to be one of the fools. Im just trying to get educated.

RBM said:
I heard it today while doing a bunch of other things. I'm pretty sure the number was 15 ambush attacks last year, and 18 or 19 already this year. So that's what I was going off.

RBM said:
I heard it today while doing a bunch of other things. I'm pretty sure the number was 15 ambush attacks last year, and 18 or 19 already this year. So that's what I was going off.
Hannity?

whoknew said:
Donkey Derp said:
Officer named as Charles Joseph Gliniewicz. 32 year veteran and father of four.

Another sad example of an officer trying to be proactive and investigate "suspicious" activity - only to pay the ultimate price for trying to make his city safer. A lot of people in other threads shocked when arrests are down and homicides way up in a number of cities.

Thank you for your service Officer Gliniewicz.
Can you explain your argument? I don't quite understand your position on what you think cops should do/will do in high crime areas.
You hate all cops so why should I even bother?

RBM said:
Hannity?
No. CNN doosh.

whoknew said:
Donkey Derp said:
Officer named as Charles Joseph Gliniewicz. 32 year veteran and father of four.

Another sad example of an officer trying to be proactive and investigate "suspicious" activity - only to pay the ultimate price for trying to make his city safer. A lot of people in other threads shocked when arrests are down and homicides way up in a number of cities.

Thank you for your service Officer Gliniewicz.
Can you explain your argument? I don't quite understand your position on what you think cops should do/will do in high crime areas.
You hate all cops so why should I even bother?
I like this cop.

I can tell you what will help prevent gun violence and murders with firearms.

Get rid of the firearms so the "crazies" don't have the tools to commit them.

Seems pretty simple.

Seems pretty simple.
How is it so simple to get rid of all firearms? I'd like to hear your simple solution.

Seems pretty simple.
Will cops be allowed to have them? How about security guards ?

Do we know what these 3 were doing yet? Are they caught or dead yet?
Absolutely no news on the 3. Just watched the local Chicago news. So sad ..."GI Joe," as they called him, was a fixture in the community. Father of four. After 32 years, he was going to retire at the end of August, but apparently was convinced to stay on for another month. Heartbreaking.

Seems pretty simple.
How is it so simple to get rid of all firearms? I'd like to hear your simple solution.
I'd love to hear that, too.
has anyone here ever tried to pry a gun from a cold dead hand? im betting its pretty difficult

I saw Magneto do it in a comic book once. He was surrounded by gunmen, but he waved his hand, and the guns all went flying in the air. That was pretty cool.

Nothing else metallic went flying in the air however. I never could figure out how he could control that power exactly...

The manhunt is still on today. They are having trouble locating the 3 (if they are still together) because it's a very marshy area with the chain of lakes right there. They closed the schools in Fox Lake today and surrounding towns may put the schools on soft lock down again. A buddy of mine taught two of the sons, and the officer was a great community member. Just horrible.

I haven't seen that they have any leads besides that he was following 3 suspects who were acting suspicious, and when backup arrived he was killed and his gun was missing. I read in this thread yesterday that it was two whites and one black suspect, but I haven't heard that repeated.

RBM said:
Hannity?
No. CNN doosh.
Doosh, fools, a few others too...good thing you didn't respond earlier for fear of not being civil.

Could we get a list of the crimes we're allowed to blame on political movements and those we can't blame on political movements? And perhaps also the extent to which we need to establish ties between the criminals and the movement before we can blame them?

TIA
I think you'd have to be incredibly foolish to not realize this BLM is promoting an anti-cop agenda and violence against officers is spiraling out of control.
Current count is 82 officer deaths in the line of duty, which would project to 123 on the year.

Although that may be slightly more than 2014 depending on what site you use (while that site says 133 for 2014 suggesting a decline, others say fewer), that's still less than the average for the last five years and far less than the average over the last ten years. link

Any officer killed in the line of duty is a horrible tragedy. But you can't even show a correlation between the movement and an uptick in officer shootings, let alone causation. So maybe hold off on the "incredibly foolish" stuff?
I think the 82 is a really bad number to use here (and it's 83 as of today) - because it includes stuff like auto accidents (which isn't "struck by vehicle" or vehicular assault), 9/11 related, heart attacks, motorcycle accidents and such. I think the most apt stat to use would be "gunfire" (and not including accidental). Also, I don't know how quickly that site is updated - yes it has one from yesterday.

There have been 8 "gunfire" related officer deaths in the past 42 days. That's 1 every 5 and a quarter days. In the prior 202 days (taking us back to January 1st of this year), there were only 16 gunfire related officer deaths. That's 1 every 12.6 days. It could just be a total anomaly, but there has been a recent uptick.

Not sure it if means anything, but the rate over the last 42 days works out to 70 in a full calendar year. The closest to that was 2010 with 68 in that full calendar year, and then 67 in 2007, and 65 in 2000.

I think the 82 is a really bad number to use here (and it's 83 as of today) - because it includes stuff like auto accidents (which isn't "struck by vehicle" or vehicular assault), 9/11 related, heart attacks, motorcycle accidents and such.
Honest question. Do people here feel that there are more unjustified killings of innocent people by police, or more police officer deaths while on duty.

For reference, there seem to be anywhere from 100-200 on duty officer deaths per year. I'm not sure it's of any importance, just curious what people think.
Doesn't that include things like auto accidents and heart attacks?
Yes, but they are still on duty deaths.
:coffee:

I think the 82 is a really bad number to use here (and it's 83 as of today) - because it includes stuff like auto accidents (which isn't "struck by vehicle" or vehicular assault), 9/11 related, heart attacks, motorcycle accidents and such.
Honest question. Do people here feel that there are more unjustified killings of innocent people by police, or more police officer deaths while on duty.

For reference, there seem to be anywhere from 100-200 on duty officer deaths per year. I'm not sure it's of any importance, just curious what people think.
Doesn't that include things like auto accidents and heart attacks?
Yes, but they are still on duty deaths.
:coffee:
Stalk much?! My comment this morning was in reference to RBM's comment about the recent police killings and if there is a connection to the recent BLM movement. He feels (and I'm not saying he's correct) that the movement is promoting violence against officers - and likely the most violent thing you can do towards and officer is shoot one, no?

My statement literally 5 months ago, while obviously about something different based on time alone, was merely a question comparing all officer deaths on duty - no matter if intentional or otherwise. Officers die in the line of duty from heart attacks or car accidents when chasing a fleeing criminal, no? Were they intentionally killed? Was Freddy Gray shot by a cop, or intentionally killed? Was Eric Garner?

@TNHighwayPatrol: @kystatepolice Trooper Joseph Cameron Ponder was shot and killed after making a traffic stop.

Our thoughts & prayers are with you.

@TNHighwayPatrol: @kystatepolice The suspect is Joseph Thomas Johnson-Shanks, 25, of Missouri a black male approx 55,140 Lbs brown eyes. Help us locate!

L

Police Officers Lives Matter.
Start it up the next time a prosecutor declines to press charges against the person killing the police officer, with a "justified shooting" finding.
Let's not kid ourselves, most of those shootings are justified.
Let's not kid ourselves, any shootings not on video that aren't justified are covered up ( or "I was afraid" justified ). Even some of the ones on video are covered up.

L

Start it up the next time a prosecutor declines to press charges against the person killing the police officer, with a "justified shooting" finding.
Let's not kid ourselves, any shootings not on video that aren't justified are covered up ( or "I was afraid" justified ). Even some of the ones on video are covered up.
I see you've fallen for the narrative.

L

I see shades of grey.

Many shootings are justified. Some are not. The ones that aren't are rarely prosecuted. I don't trust Police to police themselves. You do recall the video of the cop moving the evidence to stage a scene that fit the narrative he provided that justified his shooting, right? I don't know how many incidents like that there are, but it is a non-zero value.

Road Warriors said:
avoiding injuries said:
Road Warriors said:
Ditka Butkus said:
L

Road Warriors said:
Ditka Butkus said:
I see shades of grey.

Many shootings are justified. Some are not. The ones that aren't are rarely prosecuted. I don't trust Police to police themselves. You do recall the video of the cop moving the evidence to stage a scene that fit the narrative he provided that justified his shooting, right? I don't know how many incidents like that there are, but it is a non-zero value.
its a war out there

Of the "unjustified shootings/killings" I'd like to know the criminal records of those shot/killed. Maybe they shouldn't have been shot at that time but....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3235649/Kentucky-trooper-31-trying-organize-hotel-room-disqualified-driver-pulled-middle-night-man-shot-dead.html

The Kentucky trooper who was shot dead during a traffic stop on Sunday night was trying to help the man that killed him rather than make an arrest, police say.

Joseph Cameron Ponder, 31, was fatally shot after pulling over Joseph Thomas Johnson-Shanks, 25, along Interstate 24 in Kentucky.

Police said Tuesday that Johnson-Shanks was driving on a suspended license, and that there were two women in the car - aged 18 and 22 - who also did not have licenses, along with two children.

Because it was getting late, Ponder began organizing a hotel room for the people in the car, rather than take Johnson-Shanks into custody, Kentucky State Police spokesman Jay Thomas said in a news conference today.

Users who are viewing this thread