What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Luck..... Love fest inside.... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account @MoveTheSticks Aug 25

1 last Andrew Luck nugget— We were on the same Southwest flight to the NFL Scouting Combine. Here he was, soon to be #1 pick, Peyton’s replacement, arriving in Indianapolis for 1st time. After the plane landed, he pulled his hat out of his bag and pulled it down low.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account @MoveTheSticks

He obviously expected a ton of media members would be waiting for him as we went down to baggage claim. After about 5 mins, he realized there wasn’t a single reporter there, he lifted his hat and completely relaxed. I walked over to him & said “I think you’re gonna like it here.”

2:05 AM - 25 Aug 2019

I just have to hold in superflex and pick up if he gets dropped in deeper SF dynasty. 

I know he isn't an impulsive person and he said this was the right choice, but he doesn't really have the choice to "just take a year or two off."  

I doubt this is the plan, but if he really needed a year off both mentally and physically, he can't just say he's going on sabbatical.  The only way to take a long break is the retire/comeback model.

I don't think a year or two off and then return healthy is his plan or anything, but a lot can change with time - especially if being injured and rehabbing all the time combined with not being to be there for his teammates was really what was weighing on him so heavily. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm holding in a super-deep roster league (53-man IDP) but I'm certain I'm in denial.  I think he's done.

I just have to hold in superflex and pick up if he gets dropped in deeper SF dynasty. 

I know he isn't an impulsive person and he said this was the right choice, but he doesn't really have the choice to "just take a year or two off."  

I doubt this is the plan, but if he really needed a year off both mentally and physically, he can't just say he's going on sabbatical.  The only way to take a long break is the retire/comeback model.

I don't think a year or two off and then return healthy is his plan or anything, but a lot can change with time - especially if being injured and rehabbing all the time combined with not being to be there for his teammates was really what was weighing on him so heavily. 
Possible he didn't want pressured into coming back before he's totally healed?

Seems like the Colts really don't expect him to ever come back, for what that's worth.

Possible he didn't want pressured into coming back before he's totally healed?

Seems like the Colts really don't expect him to ever come back, for what that's worth.
Yes, between a few factors I see enough reason to hold on in deep SF where he would have very high value upon his return. 

He can't just take a year or two off and heal up, he has to retire to do that. 

The Colts let him keep his bonus money that they could have easily pursued.  25 million dollars worth of it.  Why not pursue this if they think there is no chance of a return?  I believe from the Calvin Johnson retirement that the team still retains his rights even after pursuing payback of the bonus money. Not sure on that, if anyone knows please clarify. 

Also, Luck's (paraphrased) stated reasons for retiring were that he was mentally drained by constant rehab and had difficulties with feeling like he was letting his teammates down when not healthy.  Both of those seem to go away once he is healthy. 

Also, time just changes things.  In two years when he's 31, he might be ready to come back because he is mentally just in a different place than he was a week ago.  Even if you're not a football player, the difference in your mind between 29 and 31 is pretty big. 

Users who are viewing this thread