What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

An unbelievable story of rape (1 Viewer)

,.Yes. And she plead guilty, paid $500 in court costs, had a 9pm curfew and had to attend a whole bunch of counseling sessions. 

I can't imagine how she must have felt. Horrible.
It was expunged and they issued her a refund of the $500, so it all worked out I guess.

Way tl;dr but I did read a good amount.  I'm still a little confused on why she recanted initially - it didn't seem like they were pressuring her too much - just that her story was inconsistent.  I feel horrible for this young lady, she's had more heartache and pain than I can imagine but the part still baffles me.

As for the rapist - it is still scary to me that people like this exist.  What a crazy, ####ed up POS that guy is.

Way tl;dr but I did read a good amount.  I'm still a little confused on why she recanted initially - it didn't seem like they were pressuring her too much - just that her story was inconsistent.  
She was hauled off and interrogated by a police officer who probably had started making his mind up that this might be fake.  They weren't having a pleasant tea time chat.  Police get false confessions out of people all the time, so a false recanting shouldn't be a surprise.

She was hauled off and interrogated by a police officer who probably had started making his mind up that this might be fake.  They weren't having a pleasant tea time chat.  Police get false confessions out of people all the time, so a false recanting shouldn't be a surprise.
Thanks.  I must have not read that part but makes sense.  The part I read about her recanting I interpreted that they read her statements and found an inconsistency and asked her about it and she got nervous.  That's what I get for skimming.

Thanks.  I must have not read that part but makes sense.  The part I read about her recanting I interpreted that they read her statements and found an inconsistency and asked her about it and she got nervous.  That's what I get for skimming.
One of her foster mothers thought she was doing it for attention based on some recent interaction and called the detective and mentioned her concerns.  The inconsistencies were based on whether she untied herself before or after she called Jordan(?).  That seemed so minor as to be completely irrelevant.

What bothered me the most is how one detective gets her story, runs with it and starts turning up possible leads for a serial rapist in other jurisdictions. Marie reported her attacker had a pink Sony camera that he used to take pictures, and this detective found another victim who had that same camera stolen by her attacker. Yet another detective gets her to recant and she's charged with filing a false police report.  Why didn't these two people interact about the case?  

There was an internal and external investigation done to see what errors the police force made. The results:

That Marie recanted wasn’t surprising, Rinta wrote, given the “bullying” and “hounding” she was subjected to. The detectives elevated “minor inconsistencies” — common among victims — into discrepancies, while ignoring strong evidence the crime had occurred. As for threatening jail and a possible withdrawal of housing assistance if Marie failed a polygraph: “These statements are coercive, cruel, and unbelievably unprofessional,” Rinta wrote. “I can’t imagine ANY justification for making these statements.

Jensen also ordered an internal review, which was similarly damning. Mason’s judgment was unduly swayed by Peggy’s phone call. The detectives’ second interview with Marie was “designed to elicit a confession of false reporting.” The false reporting charge arose from a “self-imposed rush."

There was an internal and external investigation done to see what errors the police force made. The results:

That Marie recanted wasn’t surprising, Rinta wrote, given the “bullying” and “hounding” she was subjected to. The detectives elevated “minor inconsistencies” — common among victims — into discrepancies, while ignoring strong evidence the crime had occurred. As for threatening jail and a possible withdrawal of housing assistance if Marie failed a polygraph: “These statements are coercive, cruel, and unbelievably unprofessional,” Rinta wrote. “I can’t imagine ANY justification for making these statements.

Jensen also ordered an internal review, which was similarly damning. Mason’s judgment was unduly swayed by Peggy’s phone call. The detectives’ second interview with Marie was “designed to elicit a confession of false reporting.” The false reporting charge arose from a “self-imposed rush."
And after both reports, no one got disciplined.

One of her foster mothers thought she was doing it for attention based on some recent interaction and called the detective and mentioned her concerns.  The inconsistencies were based on whether she untied herself before or after she called Jordan(?).  That seemed so minor as to be completely irrelevant.

What bothered me the most is how one detective gets her story, runs with it and starts turning up possible leads for a serial rapist in other jurisdictions. Marie reported her attacker had a pink Sony camera that he used to take pictures, and this detective found another victim who had that same camera stolen by her attacker. Yet another detective gets her to recant and she's charged with filing a false police report.  Why didn't these two people interact about the case?  
I think you might be a little confused about the facts....I was confused as hell with the ordering of the story.

The pink camera happened during the 2010-11 assaults, not during Marie's 2008 assault.  The camera was stolen during the 2010 assault of the Westminster victim.  He used the camera in the assault of the January 2011 Aurora victim.

Marie's report was in 2008 and she recanted on August 14, 2008.  Long before the pink camera is ever in the picture.  (I had to look these up to get them straight)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you might be a little confused about the facts....I was confused as hell with the ordering of the story.

The pink camera happened during the 2010-11 assaults, not during Marie's 2008 assault.  The camera was stolen during the 2010 assault of the Westminster victim.  He used the camera in the assault of the January 2011 Aurora victim.

Marie's report was in 2008 and she recanted on August 14, 2008.  Long before the pink camera is ever in the picture.  (I had to look these up to get them straight)
Yes, apparently I was confused as ####.  The way the story was laid out, I thought it was happening in relatively chronological order.  So the female detective that broke the case wasn't ever assigned to Marie.  She was working another case, and once it was solved they were led to Marie.  That's what I get for skimming.

It was 2 alternating stories... Marie's story in Washington, and the other about the investigation in Colorado 2-3 years later.

The rapist didn't have the pink camera when Marie got raped but he did take pictures of her and threatened her with exposing those pictures if she ever turned him in.   Nowhere in the story does Marie give that as an explanation for why she recanted but I would imagine that it had something to do with it. 

A good Police Legal Advisor made aware of the situation would have forwarded an intergovernmental agreement forming an information sharing coalition between agencies, one with algorithms designed to search out words, trends, M.O's and unique evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 2 alternating stories... Marie's story in Washington, and the other about the investigation in Colorado 2-3 years later.
Yep - it was confusing at first if you were skimming and trying to follow the timeline.  Once I figured that out I tried to read more but mainly was interested in the connection.  It kind of caught me off-guard that Marie's story ended up being true.

This was reported a while back on NPR.

I'll say this, Marie is a bigger person that I think I could be. I am not sure I could forgive the two foster moms for not having my back. 

Tough story when she's even questioning herself. Sick dude but AWESOME police work.

Hope that gal is doing better, which it seems she is with kids of her own. $150k not enough imo. 

Users who are viewing this thread