What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon If You Order by x hours difficulties and recourse (1 Viewer)

tonysmiles

Footballguy
Being a Prime member I am paying for expediting shipping and other services featured on their website. Over the last 45 days I have ordered a bunch of items some popular/in demand others not so much and they all were ordered with the If ordered within 6 hours you will receive them the following day. None of the items I ordered came the next day all came either 2 to 7 days after ordering. How many other Prime members are experiencing Amazon not honoring its delivery commitments on its website when placing order. I opened a case with our Consumer Agency and opened a case with the BBB but I feel this should be grounds for a class action suit because they are not honoring what they are advertising and pushing the goal posts if you call customer service with the supply chain excuse. I say BS because these are all Amazon items not purchasing from a 3rd party doing business on Amazon. Thoughts if there is any legitimacy to a class action lawsuit since I am sure I am not only one being impacted and knowingly misled by Amazon.

Over the last 45 days I have ordered a bunch of items some popular/in demand others not so much and they all were ordered with the If ordered within 6 hours you will receive them the following day.
Did they say this on the product page when you went through the actual ordering process? Amazon delivery times shown on product pages are often different than they are when you go through the actual ordering process. I'm not defending that, just giving information. I've backed out on numerous Amazon orders when the discrepancy was too high.

I've had the same issue you're describing. However, I've also had things show up sooner than they told me it would be here. My conclusion is that they try to get the stuff delivered as quick as possible, and using computer algorithms estimate how quickly that will be. I suspect they tell you the most optimistic time frame, have reporting to know how frequently they hit those targets, and have an acceptable margin of error on those delivery times while striving for 100%. I suppose they could always err on the safe side but I'd rather they give me an optimistic estimate as long as they meet it most of the time, which they do.

Being a Prime member I am paying for expediting shipping and other services featured on their website. Over the last 45 days I have ordered a bunch of items some popular/in demand others not so much and they all were ordered with the If ordered within 6 hours you will receive them the following day. None of the items I ordered came the next day all came either 2 to 7 days after ordering. How many other Prime members are experiencing Amazon not honoring its delivery commitments on its website when placing order. I opened a case with our Consumer Agency and opened a case with the BBB but I feel this should be grounds for a class action suit because they are not honoring what they are advertising and pushing the goal posts if you call customer service with the supply chain excuse. I say BS because these are all Amazon items not purchasing from a 3rd party doing business on Amazon. Thoughts if there is any legitimacy to a class action lawsuit since I am sure I am not only one being impacted and knowingly misled by Amazon.
What are your damages?

Yea, let’s sue them so things cost more and take longer to get here.

SUE ERY-BODY!!!!
Seriously though, who’s first thought is to sue because they got something a day late? Personally, the only time I didn’t get something (in the past few years) on the date specified was when the delivery date was a range in the future. Maybe I live close enough to the local fulfillment center but I never have delivery issues, even with next day, overnight or same day.

Also, I’m sure there is some terms and conditions that spell out that it’s not a guarantee and I think the order before is also to inform the user that if you don’t order by X time, you will not get it tomorrow.

Haven't noticed either. Actually got something Friday that I wasn't expecting til tomorrow.

I have had many similar experiences—but because I wasn’t in a massive rush for the items—it wasn’t anything that really mattered to me. With that said—I do understand how it can be frustrating or misleading. I’ll order a product that says—will be there in 9 hours or the next day if I order in the next 2 hours—I’ll order the product—and sure enough it takes the typical 2-3 days.

Normally I don’t care but we had special shirt we needed for family photos once
Shipment was late, got with chat, “oh well sorry better luck next time” was basically the response I got

I fall into what you've described...,, even with a half dozen Amazon centers within an hour drive. I've never really experienced that Amazon "above and beyond" customer service others have experienced. Never gotten something way earlier than promised, was challenged by two customer service reps on a 25.00 return I sent thru Kohl's, on damaged or orders that I've been unsatisfied with, never been told "keep the item, we're sending you a new one". 10 years ago, I even had an order that I paid "super Expedited shipping" for that they swore would be there by Christmas Eve that didn't arrive until three days later.....the best they did was refund the "super Expedited" cost of the shipping. I'm not looking for handouts, but I've heard all of these great experiences people have had with them that I've never seen.

I fall into what you've described...,, even with a half dozen Amazon centers within an hour drive. I've never really experienced that Amazon "above and beyond" customer service others have experienced. Never gotten something way earlier than promised, was challenged by two customer service reps on a 25.00 return I sent thru Kohl's, on damaged or orders that I've been unsatisfied with, never been told "keep the item, we're sending you a new one". 10 years ago, I even had an order that I paid "super Expedited shipping" for that they swore would be there by Christmas Eve that didn't arrive until three days later.....the best they did was refund the "super Expedited" cost of the shipping. I'm not looking for handouts, but I've heard all of these great experiences people have had with them that I've never seen.
I’ve experienced all of those things although it didn’t really excite me to keep something I didn’t like even if it was free. I do get random things sent to us free and I have no idea why outside of what I’ve read about ratings. I have also never had a single issue with returns via UPS, Whole Foods or Kohl’s.

What are your damages?
I think the damages would be paying for a service and not receiving the benefits of that service. You could probably argue that people that have been affected should receive some reimbursement of their Prime fees.

That's not how "damages" in the legal setting work. Sure there could be one or two examples of something arriving "late" being a terrible inconvenience and or actually somehow causing actual damages to the consumer but for the most part getting your Planter's Mixed Nuts or your electronic wine bottler opener 2 days later than expected isn't going to lead to any windfall in a litigation.

You generally pay Amazon for "free deliveries", not because of which day they estimated it would arrive and If you paid for expedited delivery and it came after that date, Amazon would reimburse you for that fee.

What are your damages?
I think the damages would be paying for a service and not receiving the benefits of that service. You could probably argue that people that have been affected should receive some reimbursement of their Prime fees.

That's not how "damages" in the legal setting work. Sure there could be one or two examples of something arriving "late" being a terrible inconvenience and or actually somehow causing actual damages to the consumer but for the most part getting your Planter's Mixed Nuts or your electronic wine bottler opener 2 days later than expected isn't going to lead to any windfall in a litigation.

You generally pay Amazon for "free deliveries", not because of which day they estimated it would arrive and If you paid for expedited delivery and it came after that date, Amazon would reimburse you for that fee.
I am not a lawyer, so I'm not really arguing one way or another. I'm just throwing out possible grounds for a lawsuit. If Amazon breached their contract with their customers and then refuse to compensate, I think that would be grounds for a class action lawsuit. I am pretty sure they cover themselves though by saying delivery dates are estimated and not guaranteed though.

As someone else mentioned, make sure you're checking the dates when you actually check-out, not just on the product page, as there is sometimes a discrepancy between them.

If they're not meeting the dates given during the actual checkout process, I know they used to have a pretty simple policy of giving you a free month of prime whenever a delivery arrived late, so if you put in a support request you should be able to do that.

FWIW, to answer the original question, I use Amazon to supply 5 short term rental properties across 3 markets and I pay VERY close attention to the delivery windows (because I am telling the guest when they can expect it) and place a TON of orders, and very very rarely does anything ever miss the promised delivery window.

What are your damages?

Hurt Feelings,

As someone else mentioned, make sure you're checking the dates when you actually check-out, not just on the product page, as there is sometimes a discrepancy between them.

If they're not meeting the dates given during the actual checkout process, I know they used to have a pretty simple policy of giving you a free month of prime whenever a delivery arrived late, so if you put in a support request you should be able to do that.

I don't think they do this anymore. I used to order a lot of little things, and I probably have gotten 6-8 months of free Prime using this in the past. I'd message customer service and get it super easy until a year or so ago where all I got was a big "sorry."

I've had some delivery issues, but they're the minority. When I've had a legit customer service issue, it's been handled well in my opinion.

Dropped Prime shipping. Order more than $25 to get free shipping. Getting more than reasonable delivery speed (usually not more than a day or 2 longer).

What are your damages?

I am not a lawyer, so I'm not really arguing one way or another. I'm just throwing out possible grounds for a lawsuit. If Amazon breached their contract with their customers and then refuse to compensate, I think that would be grounds for a class action lawsuit. I am pretty sure they cover themselves though by saying delivery dates are estimated and not guaranteed though.

prime member for ages and the 1-day delivery is always hit or miss for me. i actually prefer the ups or fedex option if i can help it. the logistics department at amazon isn't up to par compared to the pros.

i've only had a real issue once where a product never showed, got a refund three weeks later, and the product showed up two weeks after that.

I have had many similar experiences—but because I wasn’t in a massive rush for the items—it wasn’t anything that really mattered to me. With that said—I do understand how it can be frustrating or misleading. I’ll order a product that says—will be there in 9 hours or the next day if I order in the next 2 hours—I’ll order the product—and sure enough it takes the typical 2-3 days.
Damn you and your well measured responses! We’re supposed to pile on, dont you know!?!?

In addition to this, sometimes they say you have to order a certain amount of things that qualify to get the very fast shipping

What are your damages?

Grounds/Legal Theory (i.e. "beach of contract") and damages (financial losses, reputational damages, etc.) are not the same thing. The purpose of a plaintiff's lawsuit is to make himself whole. If a contract is "breached" but you're no worse off in any way because of it - there's not really any basis for the lawsuit.

If your can opener arrives on Thursday instead of Tuesday (and you did not pay anything extra to get it there by Tuesday) what did you lose? Two days of use of a can opener? That's not really quantifiable and isn't any real loss. If you did pay extra and Amazon refused to return that fee then sure you can sue to recover that fee - although in that case Amazon would have just returned your fee.

What are your damages?

Grounds/Legal Theory (i.e. "beach of contract") and damages (financial losses, reputational damages, etc.) are not the same thing. The purpose of a plaintiff's lawsuit is to make himself whole. If a contract is "breached" but you're no worse off in any way because of it - there's not really any basis for the lawsuit.

If your can opener arrives on Thursday instead of Tuesday (and you did not pay anything extra to get it there by Tuesday) what did you lose? Two days of use of a can opener? That's not really quantifiable and isn't any real loss. If you did pay extra and Amazon refused to return that fee then sure you can sue to recover that fee - although in that case Amazon would have just returned your fee.
But they did pay extra. They paid the Prime subscription fee. Part of the Prime subscription is same day or next day delivery.

And yes, if Amazon just refunds the fee then there would be no case. I'm going under the assumption (for this argument) that they are no refunding the fee.

What are your damages?

Wouldn't signing up for Prime to get it faster constitute paying an extra fee? That's why I'm surprised to hear above that Amazon may not be offering the free month of Prime in exchange for delayed orders anymore.

I think that is usually contingent on an order minimum with other eligible items, usually not worth the headache as they are very specific and crap you don't need, so you just end up spending more. Easier to just get the stuff a day or so later. To be fair I am somewhat biased, we are few miles from the airport and distribution hub, so we always get items early or on time, same day sometimes. Like others have said, confirm what the day is on the checkout page and your confirmation email.

Also lol at the BBB filing, such a boomer thing to do. The 1 or 2 yearly BBB complaints we get at work go right in the trash beside the mail bin, don't even get the honor of being escorted to the shredder/recycling.

What are your damages?
Maybe it was a new kidney or something.

What are your damages?

But they did pay extra. They paid the Prime subscription fee. Part of the Prime subscription is same day or next day delivery.

And yes, if Amazon just refunds the fee then there would be no case. I'm going under the assumption (for this argument) that they are no refunding the fee.
Citation? I am pretty sure this isn't true. Most of their guarantees are filled with qualifiers, ie eligible items or eligible zip codes, etc.

Wouldn't signing up for Prime to get it faster constitute paying an extra fee?
You pay for free and fast(er) delivery. I don't believe it guarantees one day delivery.

The point though is in almost every case getting something one or two days later than the estimated delivery date isn't creating damages suffered.
Also, you need to account for the main purpose of Prime, which is now streaming.

What are your damages?

Citation? I am pretty sure this isn't true. Most of their guarantees are filled with qualifiers, ie eligible items or eligible zip codes, etc.

Also the OP said they were marked as "order in the next X hours and get it next day".

But like you said, I'm sure they have some fine print that covers them. It would be pretty foolish for them not to account for delivery delays.

What are your damages?

Wouldn't signing up for Prime to get it faster constitute paying an extra fee? That's why I'm surprised to hear above that Amazon may not be offering the free month of Prime in exchange for delayed orders anymore.
Actually I just got a month free, today, because the new air fryer I ordered is taking over a month to be delivered. But even if they didn't give me that courtesy - I don't believe the delay would rise to the level of creating any legal damages I can be compensated for.

Wouldn't signing up for Prime to get it faster constitute paying an extra fee?
You pay for free and fast(er) delivery. I don't believe it guarantees one day delivery.

The point though is in almost every case getting something one or two days later than the estimated delivery date isn't creating damages suffered.
Also, you need to account for the main purpose of Prime, which is now streaming.
I would love if they had a no streaming alternative since I never use that.

Sometimes I order stuff just to see how fast they can get it to me. Then I immediately return it at whole foods. Returning amazon stuff is the only reason I've ever gone into that store. True story.

prime member for ages and the 1-day delivery is always hit or miss for me. i actually prefer the ups or fedex option if i can help it. the logistics department at amazon isn't up to par compared to the pros.

i've only had a real issue once where a product never showed, got a refund three weeks later, and the product showed up two weeks after that.
It’s funny because I’d say the opposite. I just had to buy 3 different parking passes (got refunded twice) and 2 were UPS. First one was a week late and just got lost. Second was late by a day (overnighted) and magically showed up the night before even though tracking said it would be after the game. Haven’t had a lost delivery in a long time but I order Amazon all the time and would much rather get it delivered by them. They also never ring the doorbell
so the dog only goes crazy if he sees a delivery truck. It’s nice getting emails from
Amazon that something has been delivered versus a doorbell or no notice.

It’s funny because I’d say the opposite. I just had to buy 3 different parking passes (got refunded twice) and 2 were UPS. First one was a week late and just got lost. Second was late by a day (overnighted) and magically showed up the night before even though tracking said it would be after the game. Haven’t had a lost delivery in a long time but I order Amazon all the time and would much rather get it delivered by them. They also never ring the doorbell
so the dog only goes crazy if he sees a delivery truck. It’s nice getting emails from
Amazon that something has been delivered versus a doorbell or no notice.
i always wondered if this is dependent on where you live, like eating at the same restaurants in different cities or states would taste quite a bit different in some cases. there you have it.

You would think that based on their advertising, but not really. All those benefits of the Prime subscription basically have asterisks. My prime fee never did pay for same/next day delivery. It used to pay for 2 day delivery, but now even that's extremely rare - more like 5-7 days to get it delivered. Their way around it is to say that 2 day shipping only factors in once they ship it (even though from the beginning, the 2-day "shipping" was always at least implied to mean 2 day delivery), and now it supposedly takes them longer to send items out their door to me. Orders take 3-5 days just to to get to the shipped status and 5-7 to delivery.

But at least I see those delivery times on the site before I order. Like the OP, I'd be extra upset if they put the pressure on me with a countdown to buy in the next x amount of time and then didn't follow through on that. Feels pretty bait-and-switchy.

Is OP a djackson alias?

Bad news, it is the holiday season, there is a worldwide shortage/supply chain issues on literally everything, nobody wants to work because of that government cheese or legal weed, and we are in the midst of a triple pandemic (covid, rsv, and og flu). If you get anything delivered within 3 days of the promised date you are one of the lucky ones.

Sorry your expectations were not met, it is definitely frustrating.

I've ordered hundreds of orders from Amazon over the past couple of years. I'd guess 90% of the time they've been delivered on the day they promised, 5% have come early and 5% have been a day or two late. I can only remember one time that my order was over a few days late and when I called customer service to complain they refunded my money and let me keep the item.

I'm sure delivery reliability depends on where you live. If you get your deliveries through the USPS, as opposed to Amazon delivery, that could explain it.

Is OP a djackson alias?

Bad news, it is the holiday season, there is a worldwide shortage/supply chain issues on literally everything, nobody wants to work because of that government cheese or legal weed, and we are in the midst of a triple pandemic (covid, rsv, and og flu). If you get anything delivered within 3 days of the promised date you are one of the lucky ones.

Is it though? My goodness we are an entitled and lazy species.

Is OP a djackson alias?

If you could have bought something in a store that you needed in a couple days, but amazon showed you a countdown basically saying, "hey, if you order in the next couple hours we'll get it to you tomorrow" and then it doesn't come until 7 days later.... yeah, I could definitely see that as a frustrating experience.

Is OP a djackson alias?

If you could have bought something in a store that you needed in a couple days, but amazon showed you a countdown basically saying, "hey, if you order in the next couple hours we'll get it to you tomorrow" and then it doesn't come until 7 days later.... yeah, I could definitely see that as a frustrating experience.

There are disclaimers all over their website and in anything that was electronically signed when you signed up. Delivery delays are inherent to online shopping and should be expected.

If you’re too lazy to get off your *** to go buy something from a physical retail store then deal with consequences.

Don’t go threatening to sue. We are lazy and entitled. It’s disgusting.

I honestly don’t know what you guys are ordering to have 3-5 days before something is shipped and 5-7 days shipping for most of your stuff. I got a same day order last night, which my son ordered for himself (soap). I’ve had some things come after 2 days but it’s rare and it’s for things that have a long lead time and a week or two window. I have one particular shampoo for a different son (I know) that had a long lead time of 12/14 and now it says it will be 12/10. For stuff not in their warehouses, I don’t expect 2 days but I rarely order stuff like that. Most stuff I get is same day to two days and almost always on time and we order a lot from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread