What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (1 Viewer)

Dont give a #### about the sd card
This. No need for one with a 128gb phone. They were more of a pain in the past anyways because you could only save certain things there anyways and it sometimes got confusing what was on the card vs on the phone. Nice to have everything in one place. Plus if you use Google photos just back up everything to the cloud and clear off the device from time to time to keep storage down.

This. No need for one with a 128gb phone. They were more of a pain in the past anyways because you could only save certain things there anyways and it sometimes got confusing what was on the card vs on the phone. Nice to have everything in one place. Plus if you use Google photos just back up everything to the cloud and clear off the device from time to time to keep storage down.
Agree.   That was my point but was lazy about typing the reasoning

Underwater where?  According to what I’ve read, the S10 is water-resistant (not waterproof) for 30 mins up to 1.5 meters, but that doesn’t include water with corrosive elements such as salt water or chlorine. It’s more to say you don’t need to worry if it gets rained on or you drop it in the toilet rather than using it to take pictures in the ocean or your pool.

Article
This is good to know. I was considering bringing my S9+ to take snorkeling photos and video this year.

Ok, I'm jumping to a new phone soon due to my battery progressively crapping the bed. As much as I dislike curved screens I've decided on either a S10+ or the Oneplus 7 Pro due to screen real estate. I'd rather deal with a curved screen than a notch any day so no LG or giant bezels like the Pixels. So can anyone give the lowdown on either, what they like or dislike about them. I haven't owned a Samsung since the Note 2 and currently have a 3T so am familiar with Oneplus.
I've owned a few Galaxy S's, 4 iphones, and currently still using One+3.

Like the One+3 as much as anything.  

eta - stick with One+ imo, even though they arent quite the deal they were before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm jumping to a new phone soon due to my battery progressively crapping the bed. As much as I dislike curved screens I've decided on either a S10+ or the Oneplus 7 Pro due to screen real estate. I'd rather deal with a curved screen than a notch any day so no LG or giant bezels like the Pixels. So can anyone give the lowdown on either, what they like or dislike about them. I haven't owned a Samsung since the Note 2 and currently have a 3T so am familiar with Oneplus.
Bro that avatar is niiiiiice.

My wife has a galaxy S10.  It says they are waterproof up to 30min, and in 1.5 meter of water.  Took a few underwater shots and now the speaker is crackling.  Of course she is upset at me because she didn't trust that it was waterproof.  Did the same thing with her last galaxy no problems.
The crackling in the speakers went away after a few days.  Phone is fine now.

Got to put my mitts on a 7 pro today and I'm thinking I may go 10+. Reason being that yes they're both curved screened phones but the 7 pro has bigger curves. Samsung has made the 10+ pretty flat compared to the old curved screens. Granted the screen refresh would have been nice along with faster storage but I gain waterproofing, wireless charging, and bigger and longer lasting battery. Now if only Samsung would put 1+ software on their phones I'd be in heaven.
I got a 10+ 5g.  I like it alot 

Not sure I'd pay for a 5G phone when 5G doesn't even really exist yet and won't for a while right? I love my S10+.

Went from an s3 or s4 to a note 4 to a pixel XL to the S10+. I miss the quick updates for the pixel and yet they are usually overhyped anyways. I've run Nova prime as a launcher for a while on these phones and still love the flexibility. 

Don't use Bixby as I've never really used Google assistant much either. Reprogrammed that button to launch my camera.

That's like the best spec'd 10+ right? How's the battery life? One site was giving 12+ hours, which was 3 hours longer than the 7 pro.
yes it is.  i only get phones like every 3-4 years so i went with the 5g.

battery is great.  i can go the whole day without charging.  never seen it below 50%.  

i went from the s7

About 5 weeks in with the Pixel 3a, and I love it. The battery life on this thing is incredible. I was easily having to charge my Pixel 1 twice/day. The Pixel 3a is getting charged about every other day, give or take. It's fast, feels perfect in my hand and pocket, and has just about every feature I'm looking for. I originally didn't like the "always on" option as I thought it'd drain my battery but since the battery is obviously no problem I've given "always on" a chance and have to say it's pretty nice not having to touch the phone or unlock (if necessary) just to see your notifications, time, date, weather, etc. If I wanted the battery to last longer I'm sure it would if I turned that feature off.

This is the best deal on phones going right now, and it's not close. You can't beat the $400 price tag for what you're getting with it, especially after Google gave me an extra $85 for my Pixel 1 along with the $100 (still to come) to spend at the Google Store - which I'll be using on another Pixel 3a for my wife. A+ from Google all around with this one.

Finally found a good enough deal on the S10+. Bought brand new from eBay for $650 and will be delivered Tuesday.  As much as I'm going to miss the software of the Oneplus devises I just didn't want a phone that was so tall. To go from the 3T to the 7 pro it would have been almost half an inch taller. By going with the 10+ I get an phone that's a hair taller with the same width. If I hate it hopefully they release a slightly smaller 7T pro.
That's a great deal.

0% interest over 24 months - not everyone is a footballguy with unlimited funds
I am going to go out on a limb and imagine that if a person needs to finance $900 or less, they probably aren't getting the 0%.

Buy a cheaper phone imo.

Finally found a good enough deal on the S10+. Bought brand new from eBay for $650 and will be delivered Tuesday.  As much as I'm going to miss the software of the Oneplus devises I just didn't want a phone that was so tall. To go from the 3T to the 7 pro it would have been almost half an inch taller. By going with the 10+ I get an phone that's a hair taller with the same width. If I hate it hopefully they release a slightly smaller 7T pro.
I didn't realize this.  Nice catch.

:confused:  It's essentially an installment plan and very common when buying from a carrier.
I gather it is common.. I question the 0% financing/installment plan for the customer that has to finance 3 figures to begin with (is this person getting 0%?).  I question if that is the smart play versus a cheaper phone.

More directly, I am opining that people are buying phones they can't afford.

I gather it is common.. I question the 0% financing/installment plan for the customer that has to finance 3 figures to begin with (is this person getting 0%?).  I question if that is the smart play versus a cheaper phone.

More directly, I am opining that people are buying phones they can't afford.
Is this schtick?  Most carriers give you the one time payment or monthly payments with no interest.  I  "financed" my daughter's $200 phone

Is this schtick?  Most carriers give you the one time payment or monthly payments with no interest.  I  "financed" my daughter's $200 phone
OK - I don't see the appeal there, but for the masses I assume they are financing a phone because they can't pay for the phone up front.

Are the people that can't afford the phone up front actually getting the 0% financing?  Is there not a credit check/requirement here?

OK - I don't see the appeal there, but for the masses I assume they are financing a phone because they can't pay for the phone up front.

Are the people that can't afford the phone up front actually getting the 0% financing?  Is there not a credit check/requirement here?
Regardless of the price, why should we pay for the phone when the carrier will let us "finance" it with 0% financing?  Verizon is a 24 mo payment plan, which essentially takes the place of the 2 year contract.  Why should I pony up whatever amount up front when the carrier will let me go with no interest and I can keep the money in my checking account which earns 3.5% interest?

Regardless of the price, why should we pay for the phone when the carrier will let us "finance" it with 0% financing?  Verizon is a 24 mo payment plan, which essentially takes the place of the 2 year contract.  Why should I pony up whatever amount up front when the carrier will let me go with no interest and I can keep the money in my checking account which earns 3.5% interest?
you answered your own question. 

Nobody is answering the question.

What are the credit requirements for the 0%.

If your logic is you want to earn a couple bucks a month interest... alrighty.  But that isn't answering my question about those that are financing because they cant afford to pay up front.

If your logic is you want to earn a couple bucks a month interest... alrighty.  But that isn't answering my question about those that are financing because they cant afford to pay up front.
Don't have a clue what the credit requirements are for the 0%. My guess is if your credit isn't good enough to get a cell phone plan, you probably aren't going to get the payment option either.

I won't be switching carriers anytime in the near future.  Unfortunately, Verizon gets the best signal in the area I live so we are pretty much stuck with them.

If your logic is you want to earn a couple bucks a month interest... alrighty.  But that isn't answering my question about those that are financing because they cant afford to pay up front
I think depending on your credit score, all the big companies may require a down payment, but then it's still 0%. 

You're not locked into a contract, as you can pay off the entire balance at once if you want (but otherwise can't pay it off at a faster rate than the standard plan) but most people will effectively feel stuck to that service company because they don't want to pay the full balance.  I'm sure that's why the company offers the installment plan without interest. 

If you have no reason to switch service companies anyway, I'm not sure why you would feel the need to pay it all at once if it isn't costing you any extra by spacing it out. 

I think depending on your credit score, all the big companies may require a down payment, but then it's still 0%. 

You're not locked into a contract, as you can pay off the entire balance at once if you want (but otherwise can't pay it off at a faster rate than the standard plan) but most people will effectively feel stuck to that service company because they don't want to pay the full balance.  I'm sure that's why the company offers the installment plan without interest. 

If you have no reason to switch service companies anyway, I'm not sure why you would feel the need to pay it all at once if it isn't costing you any extra by spacing it out. 
I prefer to budget and pay once.  Rather have lower monthly bill.  Seems an easy way to sucker yourself into buying a new phone every 2 years.. hey it won't increase my payment!

T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. all do credit checks when you purchase a new phone or new plan.

I prefer to budget and pay once.  Rather have lower monthly bill.  Seems an easy way to sucker yourself into buying a new phone every 2 years.. hey it won't increase my payment!
When I bought my last phone (a Samsung Galaxy S8 probably 3 years ago now), I think it cost me around $800.00. I was willing to pay the entire price in the store, but they told me that I can only make a partial payment (it may have been the 1st monthly payment, etc.). I'm not sure if they changed their rules or not, but I paid off the phone about 1 month later through the website. There was no interest, and the plan would have made me pay ~$30 a month for 2-3 years until it was paid off. Personally, I don't like giant balances, even with no interest, and just want it off of me.

Typically, communication companies are most concerned about your identify. A lot of their checks are about confirming you are alive and through their identify checks to have a high level of confidence that you are not a fraudulent consumer. They may have some actual credit checks that require you to make a larger downpayment, etc. on a phone based on your actual credit being poor (missed payments, low FICO, etc.).

Android 9 takes up 8.8gb on my wife's Pixel2,  but 14 gb on my Moto X4 (same on my son's moto).  Does anyone know why this is or if anything can be done to reduce the size on our Moto phones?  I've spent some time googling this and come up empty.

tia

Has anyone else pre-ordered the Nest Hub Max?  $230 seems steep, and an added camera and larger screen alone aren't worth the price.  Imo, the speaker on this thing is gonna be legit.  3" woofer, better than the og Google home, but not quite as powerful as the home max.

I may be in the minority but I can expense my phone bill. Adding a $30ish dollar charge per month doesn't phase my company. If I dropped $700 on one expense report they would not look too kindly on it. 

Otherwise I get where you're coming from. The subsidized days are over but cell companies are trying to get back to that.

I may be in the minority but I can expense my phone bill. Adding a $30ish dollar charge per month doesn't phase my company. If I dropped $700 on one expense report they would not look too kindly on it. 

Otherwise I get where you're coming from. The subsidized days are over but cell companies are trying to get back to that.
That is a good reason.

Time for a 3 week review of the S10 plus.

-Battery life is obviously better than my 2.5 year old phone. Still trying to gauge sot but on some days easily 7 hours of sot.

-Size is comparable enough that I don't notice the extra height of the phone compared to my 3T. Any taller though and I'd hate it.

-Weight difference is definitely noticeable. By going .6 ounces heavier with the S10+ it's very noticeable. 7 pro is like 1.6 ounces heavier than the 3T so that would have been no bueno.

-I will say this screen is amazing. Colors pop and brightness levels are great even in full sun. Easily the best screen on any phone I've owned.

-Fingerprint sensor is still a work in progress. Still trying to get the placement of where to put my finger at most of the time. Face unlock is also a bit wonky sometimes. There's times it'll work perfectly then others it doesn't do so well. Maybe I'm just spoiled from better than average software from Oneplus.

-I haven't played with the cameras much to give a review yet.
The fingerprint scanner is definitely a disappointment. My OG pixel with the scanner on the back was perfect. Other than that, my S10+ is pretty great.

I'm seriously considering getting the Redmi K20 Pro when they're more available in the US. I wish it had wireless charging, but it checks pretty much all the other boxes. I almost never take selfies so the pop up camera is no big deal.

Talk to me about Samsung Galaxy watches. 

#1 - Can you pair up a Samsung watch with 2 different phones? I have a work phone and personal phone.

#2 - Can you pair up a Samsung watch with a IPhone or does it have to be a Samsung?

#3 - With the exception of the cost of purchasing, are there any other costs associated with the watch? 

What is good about them? Bad?

Any other alternatives that would allow me to link to Samsung or Apple?

cubd8 said:
What is good about them? Bad?

Any other alternatives that would allow me to link to Samsung or Apple?
I don't have the latest model but have owned Samsung watches in the past.

GOOD

- bezel control works really well, not all models have it

- screen looks amazing INDOORS, or at night, etc

BAD

- I mostly wear my watches outdoors during the day so I'm only interested in watches that have a transflective screen that you can see easily in broad daylight. They also have a backlight at night but you don't need to power up the backlight all that often with moves us to battery life......

- I hate watches that you need to dock every day or two. If it can't last for a 4-day weekend between charges I have absolutely no interest. The Samsung watches I have owned all became a chore that I had to plug in every day. Huge disadvantage. I wear an Amazfit's for the most part now. Stratos on a day to day basis because with my use case(only wearing it when I leave the house) I can squeeze a week out of it on a full charge if I turn it off when not in use. When I travel I wear a Bip but I think it's much uglier and the screen is quite a bit smaller...... but you only have to charge it about once a month so I don't ever have to take a special cable with me to charge it. These Amazfit's don't have the app stores that apple/google/samsung have but.......

- Some people hate the Tizen OS but honestly, all the wearable OS's are only "meh" imo. You should look at the Tizen apps before you make a decision.

Wearable tech decisions should factor in more personal taste than any other. Definitely wear it before buying. They haven't been the best fit for my personal needs but they might fit your needs great. Generally speaking, if you are considering purchasing a smartwatch I would definitely check out this youtube channel.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYeF5HjQaEr_b5TAUu7VCfw/videos

I have the latest Samsung watch and like it a lot.   I dont wear it much not because of the watch but because I dont wear watches often.

So anyone with the Pixel 3A still happy with it?

My daughter is ready for a new phone and looking at that as a replacement

So anyone with the Pixel 3A still happy with it?

My daughter is ready for a new phone and looking at that as a replacement
What about the Xiaomi Mi 9T as an option? Install the Google camera app and it sounds like it's better than the Pixel in just about every way.

Anyone else? Really like the look of the Samsung Galaxy Watch. 

Thoughts on Amazfit? Is this on-par with Samsung or a good/cheaper alternative?

Really good detail above. 

I do have a Sumsung S10 so really looking to just pair it with this, but am interested if I can pair more than 1 phone (I also have a work phone too it).

cubd8 said:
Anyone else? Really like the look of the Samsung Galaxy Watch. 

Thoughts on Amazfit? Is this on-par with Samsung or a good/cheaper alternative?

Really good detail above. 

I do have a Sumsung S10 so really looking to just pair it with this, but am interested if I can pair more than 1 phone (I also have a work phone too it).
Galaxy Watch 2 out soon i believe?

I'm waiting to see Note 10+ in person.

Hi fellow android/google friends...

I have a Pixel 3A and need to transfer all text messages from one person (client) to my desktop or server or send to another person who will be taking over the project from me when I move on next.

I have messages for web enabled on Chrome and can see them, but I'm not seeing any options to save/download them. nothing's turning up on google either.

TIA!

Hi fellow android/google friends...

I have a Pixel 3A and need to transfer all text messages from one person (client) to my desktop or server or send to another person who will be taking over the project from me when I move on next.

I have messages for web enabled on Chrome and can see them, but I'm not seeing any options to save/download them. nothing's turning up on google either.

TIA!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-save-text-messages/%3famp

Users who are viewing this thread