What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris Going Forward .... (1 Viewer)

ebsteelers

Footballguy
How does the hiring of Jay Gruden effect him?

We all know what Shanny did with running backs.

Will he turn into the BGE of jay grudens or will he really continue to shine, hes not much of a pass catcher out of the backfield so does that bump Helu up in the mean time?

Where you drafting Morris going forward in PPR or standard leagues?

Morris was a good fit for Shanny's zbs. Not to say Morris will not succeed in a new system, such as Gruden's, but some doubt seems well warranted, imo. I believe this change moves his fantasy value down.

Gotta agree that, at least initially, this does not look so good for Morris.

Then again people really didn't think he would be anything special as a rookie so maybe he can surprise twice and excel in multiple schemes.

Chaka said:

Then again people really didn't think he would be anything special as a rookie so maybe he can surprise twice and excel in multiple schemes.
yeah this is a good point.

hes had a a decent year all things considered. just wondering if your a dynasty are you buying low, selling, or just holding and see what gruden does

Chaka said:

hes had a a decent year all things considered. just wondering if your a dynasty are you buying low, selling, or just holding and see what gruden does
Personally, if I had him I'd be selling. Just think things can only go down, as Shanahan's situation was ideal for him.

Chaka said:

Personally, if I had him I'd be selling. Just think things can only go down, as Shanahan's situation was ideal for him.
what are you selling him for you? what range? i doubt you can get second round value which is probably were he was drafted back.

Chaka said:

In 2012, sure. There was absolutely nothing ideal about the situation there in 2013 though.

Morris is a solid RB -- good enough to hold down the job there for a while and put up strong rushing totals regardless of who is coaching IMO. He's not an ideal FF RB1 because he's largely useless as a receiver, but I'd be thrilled with him as a long term piece at RB2.

Chaka said:

In 2012, sure. There was absolutely nothing ideal about the situation there in 2013 though.

Morris is a solid RB -- good enough to hold down the job there for a while and put up strong rushing totals regardless of who is coaching IMO. He's not an ideal FF RB1 because he's largely useless as a receiver, but I'd be thrilled with him as a long term piece at RB2.
I agree with that. I guess what I mean is that I'm selling if someone is willing to pay closer to his 2012 numbers than his 2013 numbers. I'd still have to think his floor is about what he did in 2013, but I just don't think his ceiling anymore is as high as what he did in 2012. Sure, what he did last year was solid, but he was the 23rd highest scoring RB in my league, so it's not like he was some high-end RB2. I certainly wouldn't sell him for anything though. The price would have to be right, which I still say he's a late first round value at worst.

I find it odd that the Redskins just hired an offensive minded coach and yet I feel the need to downgrade every fantasy relevant skill position player on the team.

I think I would be more worried about Morris if the OL was the reason he was having success. It's not like he was constantly running through monster holes. He's a hard runner who picks up a ton of yards after contact. I don't think he'll have much of an issue under Gruden.

I am interested in the pre-season on Morris. As mentioned above, he still had 1275 yards rushing at 4.6 ypc, which isn't bad at all considering the implosion that was the Redskins this year. Gruden mentioned he liked zone-read with RG3, so I can't imagine that he isn't looking at 2012 and wouldn't see what Morris did.

I see a lot of negativity, but geez, any other 2nd year RB with 611-2888-20 TDs with 4.7ypc would be getting a lot more love. Almost 3000 yards rushing, 20 TDs and 4.7ypc is a workhorse RB.

Look back to the Giants game comments from Beason. He basically said they were only worried about stopping Morris:

"We thought going into the game the cowbell was Alfred Morris," Giants middle linebacker Jon Beason said. "You look at when he has a big game vs. when he doesn't have a big game, even when RG3 has a big game, they don't do too well. He's the guy that makes them go."
To me that says a lot about Morris and I have a feeling Gruden is smart enough to realize that getting the most out of Morris is a sure way to help RG3 and the Defense, which also was decent in 2012.

I think he could be a buy as I don't think you will get a lot for him after 2013. I have an option to keep him for a 16th rounder, so even in PPR, I would consider that if he looks decent in the pre-season. I would think the awfulness of the 2013 Redskins is more of his floor and if Gruden energizes them and RG3 gets healthier and the D isn't as bad, he could get back to 2012.

The Skins didn't use Morris enough in games where they were still in it. I think Gruden will utilize him well. He said somewhere in his presser about not having a particular blocking scheme and using all of them instead (not sure exact wording here)

They interviewed Morris leaving redskins park. He seemed in a daze about the whole thing. Sort of paralyzed by what went down. That being said, he was totally misused at the goalline all year long. Helu had a 3 touchdown game. Young had a 3 touchdown game. Morris never got the goalline love.

I'd put him at even for now

Griffin Even

Reed I'd move way up

Garçon even

Helu down

I'd drop hankerson and moss totally. I don't see them making an nfl roster next year.

Wise Old Owl said:
Not having Kyle Shanahan around can only help this team.
You're brand new to football, I see.

Kyle Shanny is the RB whisperer.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a blow to Morris' value is in denial and is fooling themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea how Morris' role will play out-just hope his value is hyped enough this summer to move him for a pick, since I have McCoy/Peyton in a keep 2.

Morris is a great north-south back who requires volume. He's extremely physical with excellent top speed just takes a few strides to get there. Main issues are ball security and passing game role.

Yeah Shanny's scheme seemed right and all but he got too cute near the goal line with FBs and backup RBs each having 3 TD games. Just seemed like Shanny went to the vulture more this season than he did in the past.

Not sure Gruden will be much better but sans a talent like Giovanni Bernard in the lineup I think you need to at least need to be optimistic that Morris will get more love near the goal line than he did in 2013.

I think people are undervaluing Helu. He looked great in 2011 (in real life, not fantasy). He was expected to be the #1 in 2012 until the injury bug hit. Morris stepped in as the only healthy back on the roster and had a great year. I expected a return to a full QBBC in 2013. Helu got less work than I expected (third downs only), but this idea that he's the backup RB is just wrong. He's a change of pace back that will cut into Morris's carries anytime he's healthy. Gruden obviously has no problem featuring two RBs, so I don't see any reason why Morris will return to his 2012 numbers.

Coeur de Lion said:
Gruden got 1K rushing seasons out of Cedric Benson and BJGE. Morris will be fine.
I am leaning this way. He was just too impressive 2 years ago. I think the many distractions and loss of offensive identity hurt Morris the most. Holding for better or for worse. Just hope it isn't stubborn thinking. Man I was so proud of snagging him late in the 2012 rookie draft as were many. Tough to let those types go.

I think people are undervaluing Helu. He looked great in 2011 (in real life, not fantasy). He was expected to be the #1 in 2012 until the injury bug hit. Morris stepped in as the only healthy back on the roster and had a great year. I expected a return to a full QBBC in 2013. Helu got less work than I expected (third downs only), but this idea that he's the backup RB is just wrong. He's a change of pace back that will cut into Morris's carries anytime he's healthy. Gruden obviously has no problem featuring two RBs, so I don't see any reason why Morris will return to his 2012 numbers.
What? Helu wasn't expected to be the #1 in 2012. Who got all the reps week 3 of the pre-season that year and rested week 4? It was Morris. Who got 28-96 and 2 TDs in a win over New Orleans in week 1? It was Morris. Helu played weeks 1-3 and had 2 carries and 7 receptions (including 3 in week 3). In those same 3 weeks, Morris had 61-263-3TDs. Helu was healthy in 2013 and got 62 carries to Morris' 276. Morris has averaged 4.7 ypc in rushing situations, including short yardage and Helu has averaged 4.3 as a 3rd down receiving RB more than half the time.

Sorry, but it is revisionist history to act like Helu was going to be the #1 RB and that he got hurt before he got a chance. He was healthy until week 4 and there was no, absolutely no indication that he was going to be anything but the 3rd down RB and we actually got to see that happen in 2013.

Coeur de Lion said:
Gruden got 1K rushing seasons out of Cedric Benson and BJGE. Morris will be fine.
I am leaning this way. He was just too impressive 2 years ago. I think the many distractions and loss of offensive identity hurt Morris the most. Holding for better or for worse. Just hope it isn't stubborn thinking. Man I was so proud of snagging him late in the 2012 rookie draft as were many. Tough to let those types go.
Morris was chugging along just fine until about week10 when the rug was pulled out from under him

I could see Helu keeping the 3rd down COP role though.

Like Alfred but the complete lack of passes stinks

What? Helu wasn't expected to be the #1 in 2012. Who got all the reps week 3 of the pre-season that year and rested week 4? It was Morris. Who got 28-96 and 2 TDs in a win over New Orleans in week 1? It was Morris. Helu played weeks 1-3 and had 2 carries and 7 receptions (including 3 in week 3). In those same 3 weeks, Morris had 61-263-3TDs. Helu was healthy in 2013 and got 62 carries to Morris' 276. Morris has averaged 4.7 ypc in rushing situations, including short yardage and Helu has averaged 4.3 as a 3rd down receiving RB more than half the time.

Sorry, but it is revisionist history to act like Helu was going to be the #1 RB and that he got hurt before he got a chance. He was healthy until week 4 and there was no, absolutely no indication that he was going to be anything but the 3rd down RB and we actually got to see that happen in 2013.
You've got that backwards. There was a reason Morris was picked up as an UDFA in most leagues in 2012. In 2011 Helu set franchise records for receptions in a game, rushing yards by a rookie vs the Seahawks defense, and 3 consecutive 100 yard games before he was injured. Everyone assumed he would come back healthy in 2012 and be the starter. Nobody had the 6th round rookie on their radar. People were even upset with that pick given the other glaring holes we needed to fill. Helu was injured going into the preseason though which is probably the only reason Morris was even given a chance to compete. The Redskins tried to downplay his injury like he'd be back to 100% any week but now we know it was a chronic issue that he was dealing with from the end of 2011 until he was placed on IR early in the 2012 season. I'm not trying to say he's going to supplant Morris as the starter, but as long as he stays healthy he's going to have a role in the offense. Nobody really knows how Gruden will utilize him but based on how he split time with BJGE and Gio this year you're taking a huge risk assuming Morris will remain the workhorse back.

So are his hands that bad, looking at his college stats it goes back to college where he only had 30 career catches in 3 games. or is it they just do not want to use him in the pass game,.

looked up his draft profile.. ironic that they compared him to bge

Pick Analysis: Morris is a thick running back and a bit of a tweener, not big enough to be imposing at the next level. He is a serviceable runner who at best could carry a load like BenJarvus Green-Ellis of New England, but he will have to prove he has the speed and athleticism to deserve a shot. He carries late-round or free-agent value.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:Bucky Brooks' take: Morris is a nifty runner adept at finding creases on zone runs, which makes him a great fit in the Redskins' scheme.

• 5'9"HEIGHT
  • 31 3/8"ARM LENGTH
  • 219LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 1/4"HANDS
OVERVIEW Morris is a thick running back and a bit of a tweener, not big enough to be imposing at the next level. He is a serviceable runner who at best could carry a load like BenJarvus Green-Ellis of New England, but he will have to prove he has the speed and athleticism to deserve a shot. He carries late-round or free-agent value.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Morris is a natural runner between the tackles. He is deceptively agile in short areas to avoid clean hits, and plays faster when tasked with finding daylight in a short area. He has a sense of urgency in the backfield. He is capable of blocking in pass protection at the next level. WEAKNESSES Morris doesn't have NFL speed and will need to define himself more as a runner if he wants to make enough of an impression in a camp. He has the natural ability within the tackles to be successful, but in the NFL seams and holes are harder to come by and arm tackles difficult to avoid. Morris will need to prove himself as a thumper early.

So are his hands that bad, looking at his college stats it goes back to college where he only had 30 career catches in 3 games. or is it they just do not want to use him in the pass game,.
30 catches in 47 college games, 20 catches in 32 NFL games.

I think if he was a good receiver someone along the way would have taken advantage of it.

Helu was injured in the preseason and while it did look like Morris was going to be the starter after the week 3 preseason game, there was doubt that he'd be able to hold onto the job after Helu recovered. Then week 1 happened and he got an iron grip on the job.

30 catches in 47 college games, 20 catches in 32 NFL games.

I think if he was a good receiver someone along the way would have taken advantage of it.
Agreed. .just really wondering why he cant be used more in that part of the game.

You've got that backwards. There was a reason Morris was picked up as an UDFA in most leagues in 2012. In 2011 Helu set franchise records for receptions in a game, rushing yards by a rookie vs the Seahawks defense, and 3 consecutive 100 yard games before he was injured. Everyone assumed he would come back healthy in 2012 and be the starter. Nobody had the 6th round rookie on their radar. People were even upset with that pick given the other glaring holes we needed to fill. Helu was injured going into the preseason though which is probably the only reason Morris was even given a chance to compete. The Redskins tried to downplay his injury like he'd be back to 100% any week but now we know it was a chronic issue that he was dealing with from the end of 2011 until he was placed on IR early in the 2012 season. I'm not trying to say he's going to supplant Morris as the starter, but as long as he stays healthy he's going to have a role in the offense. Nobody really knows how Gruden will utilize him but based on how he split time with BJGE and Gio this year you're taking a huge risk assuming Morris will remain the workhorse back.
Sorry, but that isn't the case. Lots of us drafted him knowing he was going to be the starter. By "everyone", you might mean lots of FF guys who had some nice games from Helu because Hightower/Torain (can't recall which one) got hurt in 2011. You assumed Helu was going to be the starter, not me. To say that Helu's injury was the only reason Morris got a chance to compete is silly. Terrell Davis was a 6th round draft pick. Was the only reason he got a chance to compete because of other players being injured?

There is a reason that people talk about Shananigans in terms of FF, because he doesn't tip his hand sometimes with respect to starters, but it was pretty obvious in the pre-season who the starter was going to be and lots of us got that right.

Sure, technically speaking, no one outside of Gruden knows how he will use Morris, but something tells me that the guy with 600+ carries in 2 seasons for almost 3000 yards and 20 TDs has the best shot as remaining the work horse back.

Helu was injured in the preseason and while it did look like Morris was going to be the starter after the week 3 preseason game, there was doubt that he'd be able to hold onto the job after Helu recovered. Then week 1 happened and he got an iron grip on the job.
Sure, there was "doubt" because Morris hadn't played a down in the NFL yet, but 5 Digit said that Helu was expected to be the #1 RB in 2012. That isn't true. That is FF talking due to his finish in 2011, not real NFL talking. Helu wasn't the #1 RB in 2011 until other injuries, so he was a fill in who, because Morris was an unproven rookie, was obviously going to get a chance to compete. I am pretty sure that Shanahan was going to actually see what he had with the rookie in training camp/pre-season and he liked what he saw.

While Morris showed he was the man for the job in week 1, it is pretty evident that when the pre-season games were happening that Morris was expected to be the starter, not Helu. Again, there is a reason why folks like me drafted Morris and a reason why he got 28 carries in week 1. We saw that Morris was in line to start week 1 and barring playing badly was expected to be the #1.

Morris is twice the runner that Helu is -- it's absurd to think that Helu will be anything more than the pass-catching complement.

OK. I'll bump this thread next year when it's a 60/40 split and you all can complain about how Helu's vulturing is only thanks to Gruden's poor play calling.

AM has averaged over 4.5 YPC in both his NFL seasons. Pass catching aside, I think he has shown enough to demonstrate a decent level of athletic talent and above average vision and agility. To me, that makes him valuable in any system.

I think he will be just fine going forward.

nice hands in the pro bowl last night .. i know it doesnt mean shyt but it doesnt seem like he cant be part of the pass catching

Some food for thought:

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Peyton Hillis

Draw what conclusions you will
That's something that's been talked about in relation to Morris since his first preseason.Hillis had most of his success after Shanahan left though, or am I misremembering?

Bronco Billy said:
Some food for thought:

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Peyton Hillis

That zone blocking was new when that went down. Kind of like Montana/Young and the WCO. Now teams defend it better and a lot use it.

Bronco Billy said:
Some food for thought:

Olandis Gary

Mike Anderson

Peyton Hillis

That zone blocking was new when that went down
Shanahan/Kubiak/Gibbs/Turner installed the ZBS in 1995

Gary played in it 99-02

Anderson: 00-05

Hillis: 08

It was around long enough for defences to adjust. not necessarily saying Morris is in the same class as those RBs, but I think the fact that almost every RB who played in a post-Shanahan ZBS offence had a hard time attaining the same numbers as under Shanahan is worth noting.

Did any of you think Morris looked trimmed down and faster during the Pro Bowl? I thought he looked great!

it is all about talent and opportunities. Morris seized the opportunities the past couple of years. But I don't think the talent is there, he could probably be replaced with any average RB in similar situation, which is why I traded him away after his brilliant rookie season.

it is all about talent and opportunities. Morris seized the opportunities the past couple of years. But I don't think the talent is there, he could probably be replaced with any average RB in similar situation, which is why I traded him away after his brilliant rookie season.
Wow, really? I can see some bias just from trading him away, i.e. you are naturally going to think or want to believe that you made the right call. That said, if you think "any average RB" can replace him, why is it that over 2012 and 2013, Morris is #2 in rushing yards behind Peterson? He finished 53 yards ahead of Lynch both years even though Lynch had 5 more carries. He finished 91 yards ahead of Charles on 69 carries, which isn't bad considering Charles ypc is always outstanding.

I'm sorry, but as much as you try to downplay it, a RB in their first 2 seasons having 611 carries for 2888 yards on 4.7 ypc with 20 rushing TDs is not average.

I may have missed someone, but I just looked based on the best single seasons and found 7 other RBs with more rushing yards in their first 2 seasons. LT (31 more yards on 100 more carries), Edge (374 more yards on 145 carries), Peterson (better ypc), Dickerson (better ypc, insane first two years), Campbell (just about same ypc, just 59 more carries), CJ (better ypc), Portis (better ypc) and Otis Anderson (slightly less ypc). Those are some pretty talented RBs and out of those 7, 3 of them had 2000 yard seasons, which surprisingly enough also doesn't happen that often.

So, again, it is quite a hyperbole to say any average RB could replace him when only 7 other RBs, including 2 HOFers and most likely 3 future HOFers, were able to rush for more yards in their first two seasons. It seems that his first two years rushing are more of an indication of becoming a HOFer than being average. Now of course, that is a hyperbole as I don't see him as a future HOFer, at least not yet, but let's not downplay his talent.

I may have missed someone, but I just looked based on the best single seasons and found 7 other RBs with more rushing yards in their first 2 seasons. LT (31 more yards on 100 more carries), Edge (374 more yards on 145 carries), Peterson (better ypc), Dickerson (better ypc, insane first two years), Campbell (just about same ypc, just 59 more carries), CJ (better ypc), Portis (better ypc) and Otis Anderson (slightly less ypc). Those are some pretty talented RBs and out of those 7, 3 of them had 2000 yard seasons, which surprisingly enough also doesn't happen that often.
It's hard for anyone to argue that he's not good running the ball. He's certainly not average or easily replaceable.

What really stands out about Morris and the RB with the most rushing yards their first two seasons is how few receptions he has - 20. Of the RB's with the most rushing yards their first two seasons only a few have less than 40 receptions - Campbell (28), George (30), Rueben Mayes (28), Errict Rhett (28). You have to go down to #28 (George Rogers) to find someone with as few receptions as Morris.

One big positive for Morris - of all those RB's, the one he is closest to in yards, YPC and use in the passing game is Campbell.

Users who are viewing this thread