What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama Voters reject Roy Moore: Update: Roy is running again! (1 Viewer)

If Moore did not have any of the accusations levied against him, do you think Jones would have won?
Of course.  Not because it would have been the "right" choice but because Alabama has a history of always choosing the Republican. The fact that the Republican then lost is a big deal. 

I like how everyone is blaming Bannon when the Orange went out of his way to endorse Moore.  Bannon is merely a micro-level occurrence able to move only the most unreasonable and brainwashed. 

Normal people, regardless of their political affiliation, don't vote for kid-touchers. 
Trump struck out twice in Alabama.  

Why would you think it sends a wrong message that a news channel is taking sides against a man credibly accused of assaulting a 14 year old girl?

Do you also think they shouldn't show their bias against other alleged criminals - like should they have presented a fair and balanced report that sympathized with the guy that just set off the bomb in NYC?
It was a close election in which these are allegations and not established facts.  We are not certain there was even a crime, unlike a bombing.  On partisan issues, they should try to maintain neutral on the way they present a story.  

If Moore did not have any of the accusations levied against him, do you think Jones would have won?
No, but Moore always had a low ceiling, so he probably would have only won by 8pts or so (recall we're talking about a state that voted for Trump by 28).  

Moore won his second round on the AL supreme court by only 4 against a fairly pedestrian Dem candidate.

He's a GREAT candidate and ran a great campaign. He was actually out there talking about the issues while Moore was hiding. He deserves this for a lot of reasons other than not molesting young girls.
That’s right.  He was a fantastic recruit and ran a terrific campaign.  I thought he was pretty special the first time I heard about him.  

Yeah but that’s the thing. Republicans have lost at least three senate elections recently because of wackos as candidates. Each one looks like a fluke but there’s a clear pattern. 

Ok, who wrote Trump's tweet?  I bet it was his lawyer.  Trump's passed out on the sofa in a diet coke induced coma.

Just had a mental image of a team of folks around him trying to pry the iPhone out of his hands without waking him up. Creeping closer, slowly pulling it from his grip...he snorts...they pull back quickly.  He starts snoring again, and they go in for it once more...

Last edited by a moderator:
But we're in an English-speaking country, so we may as well get the semantics right. Just call him an accused child molester instead of a pedophile and I think everyone might be satisfied.
Thanks, but again, I'm quite ok. People colloquially don't use the words you chose. If we were in court, fine. We're on a stupid message board so it's not necessary. 

I like how everyone is blaming Bannon when the Orange went out of his way to endorse Moore.  Bannon is merely a micro-level occurrence able to move only the most unreasonable and brainwashed. 
McConnell needs a scapegoat and he doesn't have the stones to criticize Trump. Bannon had nothing to do with this. The result tonight was a rejection of a grossly unfit candidate and a strong rejection of the Trump agenda. Bannon had nothing to do with this.

We haven't had many great nights since Trump won but this sure is one of them. Thank you Alabama. 

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2m2 minutes ago

Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!
Lol, 0% chance this was written by Trump

Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!
Very well put 

Northern Voice said:
@realDonaldTrump 3m

which one of his staffers wrote that?   there's way too much substance in that tweet.  

What I find interesting about this vote is not just that Jones took the state, but how he did so. Yes he won in the larger counties like Jefferson (Birmingham) and Montgomery, but that was expected. Jones also won two dozen other smaller counties that the Dems NEVER get. This was a victory driven by voters who represent a true-cross section of the state.

Props to the people of Alabama.

Normal people, regardless of their political affiliation, don't vote for kid-touchers. 
John Schindler‏Verified account @20committee 3m3 minutes ago

More

Who but Roy Moore, Steve Bannon & Donald Trump could lose to a Democrat in Alabama?

It only took 13 months for him to make 1 intelligent, humble tweet. Merry Christmas!

@Zow is 100% correct when it comes to the legal definitions.  I too am guilty of calling Moore a pedo.  I guess it just fits better and is more easily identifiable.

But, as a person that has 22 years of experience working with teenagers, it is just a sickening.

I don’t feel like going into details blah blah blah but dudes that prey on/groom teens are...in some ways...scarier than actual pedos.  

I won’t debate it tonight.

Thanks, but again, I'm quite ok. People colloquially don't use the words you chose. If we were in court, fine. We're on a stupid message board so it's not necessary. 
This is been my shtick pet peeve on this board for awhile.  But, I am right.  And I really do thing there's a difference between the two, with pedophilia being much worse. :shrug:  

ETA: I really do mean these posts as, essentially, a joke.  Not trying to derail this thread. 

Thinking that accuracy doesn't matter as long as you're impugning your ideological opponent is part of the problem with current political discourse, IMO. Even child molesters deserve not to be lied about.

Users who are viewing this thread