What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AL MVP (1 Viewer)

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters

scoobus

Footballguy
Not who do you think is going to win, not who do you think should win.

If you had a vote for the AL MVP, who would you vote for?

Not sure how Cabrera can go froM not most valuable to most valuable by simply hitting one more homerun than Hamilton.

Has anyone noticed that trout's numbers are falling off in the heat of the playoff race while Cabrera has stepped up huge? Detroit is in better position to make the post season too. I think Cabrera gets it. I think the fact that Cabrera has proven he is this good year after year also plays in his favor. Trout beats Cabrera on speed and defense, but everywhere else advantage Cabrera. It will be a close vote though. But if Detroit gets in the playoffs, I have no doubt Cabrera gets it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way the actual vote is going to be close to what these results are. No way Trout wins by a 4 to 1 margin. If Trout does manage to win, it will be by a couple votes.

Cabrera hasn't been a Gold Glove candidate at third base with 13 errors. Trout, meanwhile, has an all-around game that gives him an edge over Cabrera in sabermetrics.

slight edge to Trout

Cabrera hasn't been a Gold Glove candidate at third base with 13 errors. Trout, meanwhile, has an all-around game that gives him an edge over Cabrera in sabermetrics.slight edge to Trout
If you are going to make the argument, this is the angle to take because Cabrera is having a more productive season at the plate.

A the big thing is Trout missed the first 20 games of the season, and I think they went 6-14. Maybe if Trout played, they would have won more of those games and the Angels would be fighting for first place. But Trout DID NOT play and they are not in first place. You can't give a guy an MVP based on what if. It is what they did do, and Trout was not playing. Should be a big advantage for Cabrera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cabrera hasn't been a Gold Glove candidate at third base with 13 errors. Trout, meanwhile, has an all-around game that gives him an edge over Cabrera in sabermetrics.slight edge to Trout
13 errors isn't bad at 3B. His fielding percentage is better than league average. He's been much better than expected at 3B. This might actually help him.

Has anyone noticed that trout's numbers are falling off in the heat of the playoff race while Cabrera has stepped up huge?
This may be the exact reason that Cabrera does win this thing. Last 30 days.Trout has only batted 245, with 4 HR, 22 R, 6 RBI, and 5 SB.Cabrera has hit 365 with 11 HR, 22 R and 26 RBI

13 errors isn't bad at 3B. His fielding percentage is better than league average. He's been much better than expected at 3B. This might actually help him.
Agreed. Writers are going to applaud doing "ok" at 3B since he moved to accomodate Prince. He's been better than I expected there.

what is Cabrera's range?
412 feet to left 448 feet to center and 390 to right.
clever. though oddly, i think you answered my question by avoiding it.
Trout is the better of the two when it comes down to debating who is the best baseball player. The most valuable of the two is Cabrera.
How exactly do you come to this conclusion?
I beleive the Angels would be in the thick of it with or without Trout. I think the Tigers would be tied with the Royals without Cabrera. I believe Cabrera is more valuable to his team than Trout is to his. :shrug:

I beleive the Angels would be in the thick of it with or without Trout. I think the Tigers would be tied with the Royals without Cabrera. I believe Cabrera is more valuable to his team than Trout is to his. :shrug:
Not sure who Trout's "actual" replacement would be but without Cabrera I'm pretty sure Inge is still playing at third for the Tigers.

Not sure who Trout's "actual" replacement would be but without Cabrera I'm pretty sure Inge is still playing at third for the Tigers.
This is a horrible way to think of value. Their value if anything should be based on how much they have aided their team over a typical AAAA player. It isn't in any player's control who their replacement would be. And even if you do access value this way, there is only two outcomes. You are in the playoffs or not. If the Tigers make the playoffs by a game or two, there are plenty of players who won two games for their team. If they don't, it doesn't matter what Cabrera did. Same for Trout.

This is a horrible way to think of value. Their value if anything should be based on how much they have aided their team over a typical AAAA player. It isn't in any player's control who their replacement would be. And even if you do access value this way, there is only two outcomes. You are in the playoffs or not. If the Tigers make the playoffs by a game or two, there are plenty of players who won two games for their team. If they don't, it doesn't matter what Cabrera did. Same for Trout.
How do you think of value?

How do you think of value?
I honestly don't know how I would vote each year. I initially prefer to judge a player solely on what he contributed to his team no matter his team's record. Such value is determined by what an average or borderline player at his position would contribute. The advanced statistics attempt to do this but do have their shortcomings especially on the defensive end (although it is getting better) and should not be seen as an end all be all. But it gets complicated because a player that "carries" his team to the playoffs should be rewarded. How I would account for that each year would probably be very inconsistent.As it applies to this year, let's just say for the sake of argument that their overall contribution is very similar regardless of their teams record. You give Cabrera the edge because you think the Angels had the assets to replace Trout better than the Tigers could Cabrera. However, the Tigers are lucky that they play in the one division in the AL they would still have a chance to make the playoffs. If they did not, Cabrera would just be putting up numbers on a team that had no chance to make the playoffs. Can you use context to assign greater value in one train of though but ignore the other that decreases value?In my view, both players are having MVP worthy seasons for teams that are battling for the playoffs. I am leaning Trout since he has had close enough impact as a hitter to let his position value, defense, base running, lack of double plays, and pure visible hustle make up the difference. It seems that the WPA (win probability added) and clutch rating is in Trout's favor as well. If Cabrera is the difference in the last two weeks and Trout is not, I hold the right to change my mind though.

Mike Trout
Trout had a great season..but the landslide vote was correct. It was Miggys year.
In any year, either was more than a worthy MVP. What mattered is that voters incorrectly thought more highly of RBI and making the playoffs and less of the impact of base running that basically negated Miggy's offensive advantage and the defense that breaks the near tie in offensive output. IMO the only acceptable argument for Miggy winning was his performance in the last month and a half or so. I can see that argument. But any argument that implies that Miggy was the better player holds no value to me. He was not. Trout was easily the best player in baseball this year.

Mike Trout
Trout had a great season..but the landslide vote was correct. It was Miggys year.
In any year, either was more than a worthy MVP. What mattered is that voters incorrectly thought more highly of RBI and making the playoffs and less of the impact of base running that basically negated Miggy's offensive advantage and the defense that breaks the near tie in offensive output. IMO the only acceptable argument for Miggy winning was his performance in the last month and a half or so. I can see that argument. But any argument that implies that Miggy was the better player holds no value to me. He was not. Trout was easily the best player in baseball this year.
Yep, totally agree...The voters got this wrong...

I voted for Trout in the poll, but Cabrera was deserving as well. I hope that the writers that did vote for Cabrera over Trout did not do so just because the Tigers made the playoffs. The Angels actually won more games and would have made it if Trout would have started the season in the bigs.

The voters believe helping your team reach the playoffs is an important criteria. The only scenario Trout would have gotten it was if the Angels reached the playoffs and the Tigers did not. I thought it was pretty obvious all along that Price would get the Cy Young and Cabrera would get MVP. It was really not that close.

The voters believe helping your team reach the playoffs is an important criteria. The only scenario Trout would have gotten it was if the Angels reached the playoffs and the Tigers did not. I thought it was pretty obvious all along that Price would get the Cy Young and Cabrera would get MVP. It was really not that close.
Had the Angels played in the creampuff division of the AL Central they would have marched into the playoffs, easily. Had the Rangers and A's had an implosion similar to the White Sox, the Angels would have made the playoffs.I've no issue with Miggy winning MVP but there is a very legitimate case to be made for Trout being robbed. And mentioning playoffs as a significant reason is imo ridiculous. The Angels played better - they simply had a tougher division to overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread