What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Advice on New Water Heater and Furnace: UPDATE #22 (1 Viewer)

We're looking to replace our water heater and our furnace for a few reasons. One, the water heater is 13 years old and I haven't done anything to maintain it. I think I'm on borrowed time. Two, the furnace does an ok job, not great. It too is maybe 13 years old. It's 80% efficient, not great. Three, I'd like both items moved from their current location so I can use the space for other reasons, primarily opening up access to the basement and creating a new, albeit limited, room. Personally, I think the cost of moving and buying new equipment is more than offset by the added equity in the home. I'm essentially adding access to two new rooms, one on the smaller side (think wine cellar or something like that) and a bedroom (about 10' by 16'...this room is already finished and is my personal rec room).

A contractor has proposed a new furnace that can be hung from the joists in an adjacent crawl space. Furnace is 60k BTU and 96% efficient (uses 40K BTU and another 20K BTU kicks in if needed). With installation and new ductwork, $5,600. Brand is Coleman.

He has also proposed a new 50 gallon water heater for $1,600 or a tankless for $2,700. Brand is Rinnai.

Install includes running electrical, gas and water and a bunch of other small benefits. About 4 days work and everything goes where I want. Dude's got many excellent Yelp reviews.

Thought I'd throw it out to the FFA for a sanity check. Looking at $7,200 or $8,300. Frankly, this is less than I thought it would cost. Couple questions. Are the quotes in the ballpark? And should I go tankless or standard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm in the "if is ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. My furnace was 25 years old in my previous house. As long as it is maintained every year, it should last beyond 13 years. If you are having issues with it heating, etc, then I can see replacing it. Second, my water heater was about 15 years old and never had a problem. Most water heaters can be replaced same day or next day, so if it were me, I'd just wait until it broke down before I got a new one.

1600 for a water heater? Does it deliver beer to your doorstep every day?
Yeah, it does seem steep but his tankless bid seems in line with other tankless jobs I've heard about. I think the added cost is that there'd be a fair amount of work in moving it (re-routing gas, electrical and water).

I live in the Bay Area too. Everything is more expensive here.

1600 for a water heater? Does it deliver beer to your doorstep every day?
He's not just replacing it, he's moving it to a new location, which I assume means new piping and venting if it's not electric. If it is electric, I wouldn't recommend the tankless.

Both prices seem within the realm of fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm in the "if is ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. My furnace was 25 years old in my previous house. As long as it is maintained every year, it should last beyond 13 years. If you are having issues with it heating, etc, then I can see replacing it. Second, my water heater was about 15 years old and never had a problem. Most water heaters can be replaced same day or next day, so if it were me, I'd just wait until it broke down before I got a new one.
But you're not moving it to the new location in 1 day.

$1600 to install a water heater , moved or not is redonkulous and raises a huge red flag .

Also , a 60k btu furnace is pretty much the low end for output. Is this a condo?

But you're not moving it to the new location in 1 day.
Yes, this comes down to my short reading attention span and not reading the entire OP. Ignore my "advice". Carry on.

A couple years back, I was quoted ~$1400 to replace an electric tank water heater with a gas tank water heater. I was also quoted $2000 and $2500 to install a Navien tankless. $2500 from a real HVAC company, $2000 from a one man band plumber. I believe the Navien is a little cheaper than the Rinnai, so your prices seem right in line with what I paid in an expensive area (SW Connecticut).

I would recommend getting a second and third quote, but the prices do not seem totally out of line.

Heater should last MUCH longer than 13 years, I just replaced mine that was 25+ years and it cost me a little under 6k for a high efficiency one, so that price you got is about right.

For a water tank, $1600 seems high, even being moved to new spot. The value I think for you is the tankless one according to the two quotes you received.

I've been in the heating and cooling business for about 8 years, both in residential sales and marketing. So I've been in a LOT of homes over that time period.

The water heater bid is reasonable. A little high, but that is about what the industry charges for either of those. Buy the Rinnai if you want endless hot water. Don't buy it for the energy efficiency aspect. If you do the math on these, you're basically paying the difference off over the lifetime of the water heater. The Rinnai will also need yearly maintenance to keep the heating element clean and operating efficiently. And if you are not one to perform the yearly maintenance or higher someone to do so, you WILL take life off of that water heater.

The furnace bid seems a little high. Especially for Coleman brand equipment. I probably wouldn't install Coleman in my home. Do you know what size AC you have? And does the cost include a new coil for the AC?

Also, what part of the country are you in? I do marketing now for heating and cooling companies across the country, and I may have a client in your area.

I've been in the heating and cooling business for about 8 years, both in residential sales and marketing. So I've been in a LOT of homes over that time period.

The water heater bid is reasonable. A little high, but that is about what the industry charges for either of those. Buy the Rinnai if you want endless hot water. Don't buy it for the energy efficiency aspect. If you do the math on these, you're basically paying the difference off over the lifetime of the water heater. The Rinnai will also need yearly maintenance to keep the heating element clean and operating efficiently. And if you are not one to perform the yearly maintenance or higher someone to do so, you WILL take life off of that water heater.

The furnace bid seems a little high. Especially for Coleman brand equipment. I probably wouldn't install Coleman in my home. Do you know what size AC you have? And does the cost include a new coil for the AC?

Also, what part of the country are you in? I do marketing now for heating and cooling companies across the country, and I may have a client in your area.
Thanks Chiefs.

I am in Oakland. We don't have any need for AC. No need. We only have a few days each summer that reach into the 90s or higher (and a few days each winter where we get into the 30s).

The Coleman is a type that hangs from the joists in the crawl space. Don't know if that makes it more expensive, although I imagine that adds a bit to the labor and materials required.

Thanks Chiefs.

I am in Oakland. We don't have any need for AC. No need. We only have a few days each summer that reach into the 90s or higher (and a few days each winter where we get into the 30s).

The Coleman is a type that hangs from the joists in the crawl space. Don't know if that makes it more expensive, although I imagine that adds a bit to the labor and materials required.
Most manufacturers make furnaces that can hang horizontally, so you are not limited to the Coleman. If it's me, I get a second bid just to keep the guy honest. If he has really good reviews, that's always a positive. I'll look and see if I have anyone in that area and let you know.

I should note that his original bid was for a Coleman and that in a subsequent offer, he upgraded the unit to a 96% efficiency 2-stage furnace. He did not mention the brand, so it might be different. I need to follow up on that.

My furnace is 19 years old and (knock on wood), it is fine. I just had it serviced and it had no issues. If you have to have it replaced and location moved, I have no idea if that is a good price.

About 2 months ago, I put in a tankless Rinnai. I have gas. The cost was $2750 installed, so you are in the right ballpark.

I have a rinnai gas about 3 years and have never touched it :bag: . Should I get a pro in to service it?

I have a rinnai gas about 3 years and have never touched it :bag: . Should I get a pro in to service it?
I probably would. What part of the the country you in? I might know someone near you.

I should note that his original bid was for a Coleman and that in a subsequent offer, he upgraded the unit to a 96% efficiency 2-stage furnace. He did not mention the brand, so it might be different. I need to follow up on that.
A normal cost for a high efficiency furnace, if you were just replacing it and not moving it, would probably run you in the neighborhood of $4000.

So to move it generally requires quite a bit of work: reworking ductwork, moving gas line, venting, etc. The extra $1600 to that seems a little high, but he's also working in a crawlspace. So it's probably pretty darn close.

Like I said before, I'd probably get a second bid just to be sure, and don't tell the second guy you've already had someone out. Keep him honest.

I also don't have any clients in your area, so I can't help you out there. A couple of quick questions:

Does the furnace have a variable speed blower?

What type of house do you have? Ranch, 2 story, split level?

How much do you use your furnace?

A normal cost for a high efficiency furnace, if you were just replacing it and not moving it, would probably run you in the neighborhood of $4000.

So to move it generally requires quite a bit of work: reworking ductwork, moving gas line, venting, etc. The extra $1600 to that seems a little high, but he's also working in a crawlspace. So it's probably pretty darn close.

Like I said before, I'd probably get a second bid just to be sure, and don't tell the second guy you've already had someone out. Keep him honest.

I also don't have any clients in your area, so I can't help you out there. A couple of quick questions:

Does the furnace have a variable speed blower?

What type of house do you have? Ranch, 2 story, split level?

How much do you use your furnace?
Thanks. To answer your questions...

I am not sure if the furnace is variable speed but I do not thinks so (is variable speed like a two-stage furnace? if so, then I'm pretty sure the answer is no)

I have a split level home, three stories (basement is at street level).

We do not use the furnace often. Maybe gets near-daily use beginning mid-December through mid-February.

On another note, I got a bid over the phone on installing a Navien tankless, 180,000 BTUs. He's somebody who's done work for me before (replaced all piping with copper). He priced the unit and parts at about $1,800 and install at $400 to $500.

Read a lot about Naviens last night. I like them. Some models have a water buffer (prevents the "cold sandwich") and a recirculating pump so hot water is instant.

Thoughts?

Update. Talked to some guys who installed copper into my house 7 years ago. They do this work. They're installing a Navien tankless for about $2,300 or so. She's a beauty.

They got a buddy who will do furnace work. I am going with him too. I am getting a better furnace for less money, plus some additional vent install to rooms that currently don't have any ducts. Total about $4,800. It's a Rheem 95% efficiency model. I think this is it but not sure (don't have paperwork with me).

That's a tankless water heater, a new furnace, both relocated (new electrical and gas needed) for a bit more than $7k while opening up a space that's probalby close to 100sf in my house. I can handle that.

Next question is, do I permit that room. House is worth about $525/sf.

Tankless question here...looking at getting a replacement water heater and since NJ has a $500 rebate for energy star tankless systems, it seems like I might as well do the replacement of my older water heater now. I have a one bathroom ranch and think that getting something like a 6.5 GPM unit for the house. Seems like the unit is only $650 and after the rebate I am looking at $150 plus install that seems like a huge win.

Any thoughts on a Rheem or do I just go with a Rinnai and figure out where to get it?

Am I missing out on anything here?

$1600 to install a water heater , moved or not is redonkulous and raises a huge red flag .

Also , a 60k btu furnace is pretty much the low end for output. Is this a condo?
no it really is not for a tankless depending on the size some of the units themselves are well over a grand so figure that plus labor to install and if they are running gas lines vent lines and running new water lines to a new location it is not high but it all depends on the unit and how involved the move is take that to the bank

Thanks Chiefs.

Most manufacturers make furnaces that can hang horizontally, so you are not limited to the Coleman. If it's me, I get a second bid just to keep the guy honest. If he has really good reviews, that's always a positive. I'll look and see if I have anyone in that area and let you know.
chiefd what brands do you like hte best for furnaces ac units and tankless water heaters i sort of need all three in the next few years and would like your thoughts thanks in advance brohan

Tankless question here...looking at getting a replacement water heater and since NJ has a $500 rebate for energy star tankless systems, it seems like I might as well do the replacement of my older water heater now. I have a one bathroom ranch and think that getting something like a 6.5 GPM unit for the house. Seems like the unit is only $650 and after the rebate I am looking at $150 plus install that seems like a huge win.

Any thoughts on a Rheem or do I just go with a Rinnai and figure out where to get it?

Am I missing out on anything here?
Bump for the morning crowd.

Looks like there might be even more incentives. Massachusetts runs something like this too and also offers interest free loans.
I am happy and sad that you found bigger things on that site. That was the site I used to see the $500 rebate for the tankless waterheater. Now I have to call them and have someone come and do a full energy audit on my house and I might have to crack open the wallet and go for the entire package if I can get thousands off on the process.

Thanks Chiefs.

chiefd what brands do you like hte best for furnaces ac units and tankless water heaters i sort of need all three in the next few years and would like your thoughts thanks in advance brohan
For tankless I would do the Rinnai or Noritz. For the furnace or ac, it's really more important to pick a good company to install them. More stuff goes wrong because a guy who does them cheap will cut corners to save a few bucks.

All your major brands are good: Trane, Lennox, Carrier. Rheem puts out a pretty good product also. As you get closer, let me know what people are bidding and I can give you some feedback. Also, let me know what city you live in. I do marketing for HVAC now, and I have clients all over the country. I may have one in your area. Take that to the bank brohan.

Looks like there might be even more incentives. Massachusetts runs something like this too and also offers interest free loans.
I am happy and sad that you found bigger things on that site. That was the site I used to see the $500 rebate for the tankless waterheater. Now I have to call them and have someone come and do a full energy audit on my house and I might have to crack open the wallet and go for the entire package if I can get thousands off on the process.
i just had am audit.I got all new insulation in my attic, they sealed cracks etc

new ac, furnace and water heater.

it was 15k they kept the 5000 incentive

they finance the 10k with no interest over 5 or 10 years.

I priced out units and such and while there was a markup it wasn't too crazy

Update. Talked to some guys who installed copper into my house 7 years ago. They do this work. They're installing a Navien tankless for about $2,300 or so. She's a beauty.

They got a buddy who will do furnace work. I am going with him too. I am getting a better furnace for less money, plus some additional vent install to rooms that currently don't have any ducts. Total about $4,800. It's a Rheem 95% efficiency model. I think this is it but not sure (don't have paperwork with me).

That's a tankless water heater, a new furnace, both relocated (new electrical and gas needed) for a bit more than $7k while opening up a space that's probalby close to 100sf in my house. I can handle that.

Next question is, do I permit that room. House is worth about $525/sf.
Where were the HW and furnace located before? Chances are they were included in your sf already.

Thanks Chiefs.

Even if you don't need it often, it will add $5k to the appraised value of your house if other homes in your neighborhood have it.

Thanks Chiefs.

Even if you don't need it often, it will add $5k to the appraised value of your house if other homes in your neighborhood have it.
Oh this is good to know.

The sf definitely was not part of the sf of the house. 99% guaranteed.

I'm actually taking steps to have that sf added to the house. Just don't know if I can meet code without some crazy #### like raising the ceiling (not possible).

The sf definitely was not part of the sf of the house. 99% guaranteed.

I'm actually taking steps to have that sf added to the house. Just don't know if I can meet code without some crazy #### like raising the ceiling (not possible).
What's the ceiling height?

Well #### me. Furnace just went out. It is 25 years old, so knew it was coming. We have a "friend" who owns a heating/ac business, so he is "giving" us 15% off.

We just got the quote from his sales guy.

We are going from old furnace to high efficiency, so I know they have to drill a couple holes for the PVC and ####, but these quotes seem ridiculous, right?

Premium package 9243

Deluxe package 7030

We would get 15% off those prices, but dang. We are getting screwed right? It's a Bryant, 80,000 BTU 96% efficiency

google says new Bryant 80k btu furnaces range from $1500-3000 to purchase. the rest is his labor and markup. :shrug: wish I could offer more- dealing with mostly NYC apts, I don't get into furnaces hardly ever... and dealing with NYC prices, I had an electrician laughingly say that any change or slightest move we proposed was going to be 10 grand.

chief d i salute you fore being awesome in this thread you the get the swc brohan of the day award you can put that on your website and resume take that to the bank

google says new Bryant 80k btu furnaces range from $1500-3000 to purchase. the rest is his labor and markup. :shrug: wish I could offer more- dealing with mostly NYC apts, I don't get into furnaces hardly ever... and dealing with NYC prices, I had an electrician laughingly say that any change or slightest move we proposed was going to be 10 grand.
Couple things after looking more closely.

it's a 60,000 BTU, 96% furnace. Looks like I can buy that locally for like 1600.

I'm thinking I only need 40,000 BTU anyway. 1250 square foot house with above average insulation. Our old furnace was 75,000, but only 80%, and that thing blasted us with hot air for several minutes than would cycle off for longer than it was on.

Really want a nice variable speed fan that stays on and gently blows warm air.

But anyway, cant see myself paying 6 grand for this. See some craigslist ads of guys who will install for 2 grand. Probably more cause they gotta do the standard to high efficiency change in piping and stuff.

Well #### me. Furnace just went out. It is 25 years old, so knew it was coming. We have a "friend" who owns a heating/ac business, so he is "giving" us 15% off.

We are going from old furnace to high efficiency, so I know they have to drill a couple holes for the PVC and ####, but these quotes seem ridiculous, right?

Premium package 9243

Deluxe package 7030

We would get 15% off those prices, but dang. We are getting screwed right? It's a Bryant, 80,000 BTU 96% efficiency
My wife works for a Heating/AC company in the Twin Cities market, and she says the full price is basically in line with the going rate in our market, so with the discount you're not likely to find a better deal if it's from a reputable/established company.

Premium package 9243

Deluxe package 7030

My wife works for a Heating/AC company in the Twin Cities market, and she says the full price is basically in line with the going rate in our market, so with the discount you're not likely to find a better deal if it's from a reputable/established company.
Thanks for the info my man. Unless of course she works for the company we are dealing with and this is all some sort of elaborate plan. hmm

Couple things after looking more closely.

it's a 60,000 BTU, 96% furnace. Looks like I can buy that locally for like 1600.

I'm thinking I only need 40,000 BTU anyway. 1250 square foot house with above average insulation. Our old furnace was 75,000, but only 80%, and that thing blasted us with hot air for several minutes than would cycle off for longer than it was on.

Really want a nice variable speed fan that stays on and gently blows warm air.

But anyway, cant see myself paying 6 grand for this. See some craigslist ads of guys who will install for 2 grand. Probably more cause they gotta do the standard to high efficiency change in piping and stuff.
I don't think there a big difference in equipment cost between BTUs...probably 100-$200 less for 40k vs 60k. Not worth it in the long run imo. You said 80k BTU in the first post, is that what the sales guy recommended? I know when I looked into replacing ours I found a sizing calculator online and ran some numbers myself.

We got our whole system replaced this summer through my wife's company, had 60k BTU at 97% efficiency before (an old Magic Chef from back in 1986, pretty good for the time period if you ask me) and stuck with 60k BTU at 95(?)% efficiency on the new one. The variable speed fan is a must imo. I think almost all furnaces but the most basic have them these days. We have a 2000 sq ft 4 level split, and before there would be at least a 10 degree difference from basement to upper level. I have the fan set to run all the time on low, and so far it has made a big difference in evening out the temp throughout the house. Can't even hear it running either, whereas the old one was loud all the time.

As far as brands, I don't think there's much difference between the major names either. From what I read a lot of them are mfg in the same plants and then rebranded - a quick google can tell you which brands are basically the same if you are price shopping.

OH and another thing, look at the rebates from Xcel and Centerpoint, or whoever your utility companies are. We got about $1000 back between furnace, AC, and new thermostat. BUT, to get the rebates you have to use one of their approved companies/contractors. I debated installing it all myself with the help of my FIL who had some HVAC experience, but not getting the rebates would have negated that savings.

Premium package 9243

Deluxe package 7030

Thanks for the info my man. Unless of course she works for the company we are dealing with and this is all some sort of elaborate plan. hmm
LOL she did say that you could probably find a 1-2 man working out of a van type operation to do it cheaper, but who knows if they will do things up to code or be there to fix their work were something to go wrong down the line. Same as any service industry, really

yea, good stuff yuk. thanks a bunch dude. I'll buy you a beer should I ever run into a dude named yuk somewhere in the Twin Cities

Users who are viewing this thread