What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Advice for travel Central VA to Chicago area (1 Viewer)

houston

Footballguy
Looks like I've got 3 main options:

1) North towards Pittsburgh to I80, I90

2) West on 64 and then cut up on hwy 35 towards Dayton. 

3) Stay on 64 towards Lexington and not head north until Louisville. 

Pros/Cons of each? I seem to remember miserable stretches of 80/90 in past. I've done that hwy 35 before and it's ok but not great. Do the extra mountains you hit on 64 towards Lexington slow you down?

Live in Leesburg, VA (Not sure where this relates to you.) Travel to WI lots. We almost always go up thru Pitts and across on 80/90, then thru Chicago and on up (Sometimes we go thru Michigan, if we are waaaay up in WI.)

The nice thing about going across PA/OH/IN is the fact that you will be on toll road (price isn't too much - we have EZ-Pass so it is just deducted from account) and you get to go fast. The speedlimit is 70 and you can cruise along at almost 80 without any problems. The road is boring, you are just traveling across flat straight farmland. Another nice thing are the rest stops. Clean, choices of restaurants to eat at (all Fast Food) and gas. You don't have to go looking for food and such they just pop up every once and awhile (there are aps that will show you when and what each has.) with notice before so you know what is there.

Let me know if you have other questions.

I've never been west past Lewisburg WV on I-64...but I drive around Central PA/Pittsburgh a good bit.  Personally, I'd take the I-64 route.  Looks more scenic and probably a lot less traffic.  I'd go with option #3 as I'd stay on the interstates.

The first option becomes incredibly boring once past Pittsburgh. The second option becomes the same once through Columbus. I haven't done 80/90 this year, but they're famous for closing two of the three lanes during summer. If you can't find out whether that's the case right now then do 64-35-70-65. I just did 70 from Columbus to Indy and while the drive sucked at least the orange barrels were limited. Not as much 70 mph speed limit as the turnpike but more of that than not.

Users who are viewing this thread