What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

44 year old idiot gets into first fist fight - CORRECTION- runs into fist - "goal" debate settled - Studs&Duds chimes in - lawyers muck up another thr (1 Viewer)

Yeah but does he call it a "goal"? Be honest. 
I'll ask him, but I'm 95% sure the answer is yes.

He was also obsessed with the Goalrilla brand of outdoor goals and their marketing material is littered with the word "goal" in describing their product.

I genuinely don't know what you're saying here. Collect on an assault charge?

My legal premise here is that if Jayrod filed a police report and the kid was charged the kid have a very viable self-defense claim under criminal law. With that premise in mind, I don't know what it is that you're trying to say here. I promise you I'm not being flippant. 
He got physically battered after being assaulted with threats by TWO assailants.  

Their threats and actions of taking and kicking his property constitutes DURESS making his claim of self-defense null.

---------

Intent

Intent is an essential element of both offenses. Generally, it is only necessary for the defendant to have an intent to do the act that causes the harm. In other words, the act must be done voluntarily. Although an intent to harm the victim is likely to exist, it is not a required element of either offense. There is an exception to this rule for the attempted battery type of criminal assault. If a defendant who commits this crime does not have an intent to harm the victim, the individual cannot be guilty of the offense.

Defenses

Consent In almost all states, consent is a defense to civil assault and battery. Some jurisdictions hold that in the case of mutual combat, consent will not suffice and either party may sue the other. Jurisdictions also differ on the question of whether consent is a defense to criminal assault and battery.

Consent must be given voluntarily in order to constitute a defense. If it is obtained by Fraud or duress or is otherwise unlawful, it will not suffice. When an act exceeds the scope of the given consent, the defense is not available. A person who participates in a football game implies consent to a certain amount of physical contact; however, the individual is not deemed to consent to contact beyond what is commonly permitted in the sport.

I could very well be off base, but I think he's trying to claim that it wasnt self defense and he'd like to see the kid try to "collect" (lawsuit?) on an assault claim. In his mind (again, just trying to piece things together) if Jayrod didnt assault him, its not self defense. 

I definitely disagree with that assessment, and apologies if Im interpreting his posts wrong. 
Huh, yeah, that makes sense. And if you're interpretation is correct, he's certainly pretty far off base. He appears to be conflating the crime of assault with the tort of battery (some jurisdictions define these a little differently) and not realizing that it takes only the mere reasonably perceived threat of force to likely justify a person acting in self-defense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He got physically battered after being assaulted with threats by TWO assailants.  

Their threats and actions of taking and kicking his property constitutes DURESS making his claim of self-defense null.

---------

Intent

Intent is an essential element of both offenses. Generally, it is only necessary for the defendant to have an intent to do the act that causes the harm. In other words, the act must be done voluntarily. Although an intent to harm the victim is likely to exist, it is not a required element of either offense. There is an exception to this rule for the attempted battery type of criminal assault. If a defendant who commits this crime does not have an intent to harm the victim, the individual cannot be guilty of the offense.

Defenses

Consent In almost all states, consent is a defense to civil assault and battery. Some jurisdictions hold that in the case of mutual combat, consent will not suffice and either party may sue the other. Jurisdictions also differ on the question of whether consent is a defense to criminal assault and battery.

Consent must be given voluntarily in order to constitute a defense. If it is obtained by Fraud or duress or is otherwise unlawful, it will not suffice. When an act exceeds the scope of the given consent, the defense is not available. A person who participates in a football game implies consent to a certain amount of physical contact; however, the individual is not deemed to consent to contact beyond what is commonly permitted in the sport.
I don't even know where to start here. 

If I got my butt beat by someone at least 50 pounds lighter than me, I would not brag about it.   Hope the OP paid his son not to mention this to anyone,   If his son tells his friends, they are going to walk all over him since he’s soft.  They will be ordering him to get them drinks and run to the store to grab them chips and stuff.  His goal should be to make sure nobody hears about this embarrassing story.   

If I got my butt beat by someone at least 50 pounds lighter than me, I would not brag about it.   Hope the OP paid his son not to mention this to anyone,   If his son tells his friends, they are going to walk all over him since he’s soft.  They will be ordering him to get them drinks and run to the store to grab them chips and stuff.  His goal should be to make sure nobody hears about this embarrassing story.   
He isnt bragging about it

or start pumping iron & get in Rocky shape & have another go with the kid?

I do jest but I find this whole thing a little comical.

---------

Intent

Defenses

They didn't take his ball.

Nobody claims it is a case of mutual combat.  

Lighten up internet tough guy! Jayrod shared a bad night with his internet friend, he was not bragging!  Somewhere in the original title or the original post, he admitted he was embarrassed by the fact that this happened. Although in hindsight the charging towards the kid was not wise and could be construed as he was attacking the kid, Jayrod was not wanting to fight the kid. 

He shared with us how he handled/mishandled a situation with a cocky punk. Retrospect is good. May help someone else who finds themself in a similar situation someday. 

I also appreciate how Jayrod has taken the teasing and ribbing he has received! 

Lighten up internet tough guy! Jayrod shared a bad night with his internet friend, he was not bragging!  Somewhere in the original title or the original post, he admitted he was embarrassed by the fact that this happened. Although in hindsight the charging towards the kid was not wise and could be construed as he was attacking the kid, Jayrod was not wanting to fight the kid. 

He shared with us how he handled/mishandled a situation with a cocky punk. Retrospect is good. May help someone else who finds themself in a similar situation someday. 

I also appreciate how Jayrod has taken the teasing and ribbing he has received! 
Not sure why I am an internet tough guy.   

Not sure why I am an internet tough guy.   
When your first words are, “if I got beat up by…” followed by, “paying my son…” in my opinion your acting like a “tough guy” who’s on the internet.

Maybe you would but most guys would not have said what you said to his face…hence the “internet tough guy”. 

Yes.  In Oregon.  I'm fairly certain if you said that word out loud here, the collective pearl clutching and gasping for air would implode the state.  Maybe it's different in other places, but man....that's a no-no here.
No offense, man, but that is a different world out there.  From what I understand, you all are the pearl clutching, PC capitol of the world.

I live in Southwest Missouri where PC still stands for personal computer and liberalism is considered a terminal illness.  

The rule around here is if a white kid says the N-word (we are like 98% white in this region) fire and brimstone will rain upon him and he is likely to be both beaten up and publicly shamed online and then ostracized.  However, black kids are basically told to knock it off and watch your mouth.  It is treated more like dropping an F-bomb when used by black people.

I've intentionally chosen not to bring it up until now, but the kid in question (the one who punched me and did most of the talking) is black.  His friend was some kind of mixed race and either very light black or possibly some kind of Hispanic with Side-show Bob style hair.  Only the puncher used the N-word.

No offense, man, but that is a different world out there.  From what I understand, you all are the pearl clutching, PC capitol of the world.

I live in Southwest Missouri where PC still stands for personal computer and liberalism is considered a terminal illness.  

The rule around here is if a white kid says the N-word (we are like 98% white in this region) fire and brimstone will rain upon him and he is likely to be both beaten up and publicly shamed online and then ostracized.  However, black kids are basically told to knock it off and watch your mouth.  It is treated more like dropping an F-bomb when used by black people.

I've intentionally chosen not to bring it up until now, but the kid in question (the one who punched me and did most of the talking) is black.  His friend was some kind of mixed race and either very light black or possibly some kind of Hispanic with Side-show Bob style hair.  Only the puncher used the N-word.

Why would I be offended that I live in a place where saying such a hideous word is frowned upon?  

I get the sense this is a local YMCA, right?  Here's their code of conduct:  

These guys were in violation of bullet points 4, 5 and 6.  I mean....it's there for a reason.
Not a Y, but here are the gymnasium rules on the website:

• Full court play will be by staff approval only
  • Gym schedule is subject to change
  • Hanging on basketball rims is not allowed
  • No disruptive or unsafe behavior
  • No food, drink, or chewing gum allowed
  • No offensive language
  • No street shoes
  • A parent or guardian must accompany all children younger than 9 years old
  • Please exercise good sportsmanship when playing and selecting teams for play
  • Shirt and shoes are to be worn at all times
  • Skins permitted during game play only
  • Spitting will not be tolerated
  • Tennis shoes only

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

---------

Intent

Defenses

Expand  
I don't even know where to start here. 
Bracie, gb...unless I'm mistaken, one of you is a lawyer with experience in this stuff, the other is copy pasting stuff from the internet. I'd say to hang back a bit here and keep it to goal/baskets and whether getting cold-cocked in the nose constitutes a "fist fight"

sidebar:  do you guys think that tonight's big goal game will be competitive?  these first 3 goal games, in the championship round, have been blow outs!

I took my wife to the Firestone Tournament of Champions and on the first hole we were about 6 deep back and she was trying to look through/over the crowd and asked me ..."Is that the golf field over there?"

And if someone goes up to a much bigger person cursing and threatening them and took their property and kicked it away from them, then what SHOULD they expect?

The puncher never "went up" to anybody.  Jayrod is the aggressor here. He was trying to bully some kids but they stood their ground.  He thought the kids would kowtow to him due to his age and size and went into a rage when that didn't happen.  And apparently this is a sign they won't be successful in the future.  

I don't think @Jayrod has mentioned how often he goes?  When did you get your punch card and how many visits do you have left?  
I've had my 15 visit punch card for like 6-8 months.  I have one visit left, so I go like twice a month.  I really only use it when I want to work out and my main gym (connected to a church) is closed on Wed night or Sunday or if I want to play pickup games on Tues or Thurs mornings.

Hold up - they used the N word?  In public???  Jesus, that's a no-no out here.  Where do you live that this acceptable in public?
I hoop at a park in Los Angeles; not many more diverse/progressive/woke areas in the world. Black dudes say n---- 50 times a minute during any given pickup game. Everyone gets called it, even the Asian hoopers. 100% acceptable. :shrug:   

I hoop at a park in Los Angeles; not many more diverse/progressive/woke areas in the world. Black dudes say n---- 50 times a minute during any given pickup game. Everyone gets called it, even the Asian hoopers. 100% acceptable. :shrug:   
Yeah, on the goal court is probably the most acceptable place I can think of.

No, but I've had it said to me, and it's used a lot.  When you're goaling the rules are a little looser.
In the manner of "Nice shot, N!" or "I'm checkin' this N right here" sort of way, all good.

In the "You a ##### ### N" when you don't get what you want sort of way, not so much.

I grew up near Philly and heard it a decent amount. I was once told that I "play [goal]ball like n- " and it was meant to be a compliment. This was probably 20 years ago. 

I'm not saying it's correct and I've always refrained from saying it, but it was much more commonplace on the goalball courts. 

I grew up near Philly and heard it a decent amount. I was once told that I "play [goal]ball like n- " and it was meant to be a compliment. This was probably 20 years ago. 

I'm not saying it's correct and I've always refrained from saying it, but it was much more commonplace on the goalball courts. 
I'm learning it's never appropriate- so I would look for another word for goalball.

:lmao:  

keep it up people!

my gym has 3 full size goal ball courts.  i live in south OC, very little, to zero N words.  but it's mostly old rich white people goaling.  growing up in the hood in LA?  all the time.  in every context.  not just at the goal ball court

No, more SoCal and Bay Area.   I don't really play a lot of goalball up here.

I would tear an Achilles if I didn't suffer a cardiac arrest first goaling.  My kid played HS ball thru 10th, rec leeg later.  Just never heard anybody (black or white) say it.  But that's organized ball.  I can see it being way different in the park/street/gym. 

Can't we just be nice to each other? Jeezam.

You did right and wrong things.  Wrong was charging the guy.  I might have said you want to play 2 on 2 or can I get the winner of one on one.  

Either way you were a guest there and not there a lot and maybe it is normal to let people play one on one if the asked.  They did ask, right?   

Now by holding your ground you have a not so great memory.  Not judging in the least bit, been there done that.  

You were bigger, older and condescending from what you said.  Does that deserve a punch in the face, hell no but it is the situation you helped create.

I think those other people acted badly but you followed suit.  

I wish you would have hit back because at the point, I think you need to the way you played it.  

But much love for you brother, live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread