What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$400mm to Iran for Prisoner Swap (1 Viewer)

avoiding injuries

Footballguy
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-reportedly-airlifted-400-million-135210579.html

Washington secretly airlifted $400 million to Tehran amid a prisoner swap in January in which seven Iranians detained in the US were exchanged for Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian and three other Iranian-American prisoners, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

Administration officials denied that the $400 million cash transfer was tantamount to critics' assertion of a ransom payment, insisting that the funds were part of a $1.7 billion financial settlement the US had reached with Iran as part of the nuclear deal.

"As we've made clear, the negotiations over the settlement of an outstanding claim … were completely separate from the discussions about returning our American citizens home," State Department spokesman John Kirby told The Journal.

"Not only were the two negotiations separate — they were conducted by different teams on each side, including, in the case of the Hague claims, by technical experts involved in these negotiations for many years," he added.

But the fact that President Barack Obama failed to disclose the transfer of foreign hard currency to Iran via an unmarked cargo plane has once again raised questions about the administration's transparency in its dealings with Iran.

"We were right in January 2016 to describe the administration's $1.7 billion transfer to Iran as a ransom payment," US Sen. Mark Kirk, a Republican from Illinois, said in a statement on Wednesday

thank goodness we started a separate thread for this.

we are sorely lacking in political threads as of late.

Kerry's comments that this was totally seperate from the hostage situation are pretty stupid.  Giving the Administration a huge benefit of the doubt, at the very least the Iranians were tying the two together by insisting the payment happen on the same day.  It is hard to not think the Iranians were controlling both negotiations and we were playing from a position of weakness.

Not yet perhaps,  but with all that cash imagine the funding for future attacks.  Just blindly agree with everything Obama does as usual though.
I don't have nearly enough information to have an opinion. I just said that because I know the birthers would be all hot and bothered. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

its sort of like a really crappy magician hey do not look at how crappy trump is in this hand look over here in this hand where we have this nothing story that we will beat to death presto chango rearango bromigos take that to the bank bromigos 

400 million / 4 Americans - 100 million apiece - paid the same day - probably just a coincidence.

That said, does it matter that much?  If that's what it took to get these guys home? I guess it could encourage kidnapping Americans and holding them for ransom? Is that the only beef with this?  

If that was the deal, I'm glad it happened, I just wish it never came to light. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Iran made it the same day to stick it to us.  Make us look bad.

Iran says thank you right-wingers.  They were counting on you.

I actually believe this is all above board and not conspiracy or shady.  Seems to be legit from the long-stemmed issue that we hedged on from the late 70's hostage issues. 

I have no problem saying this is fine as long as the transfer of foreign hard currency to Iran via an unmarked cargo plane is SOP. If it isn't, well than....there you go. 

Why hasn't Obama gotten the prisoners back? This is an OUTRAGE!!!!

We might have paid money to get the prisoners back? This is an OUTRAGE!!!!!

400 million / 4 Americans - 100 million apiece - paid the same day - probably just a coincidence.

That said, does it matter that much?  If that's what it took to get these guys home? I guess it could encourage kidnapping Americans and holding them for ransom? Is that the only beef with this?  

I hate this quote system

It figures you rumpswabs can't see any wrong here. 

I bet bet none of you think there was anything wrong with all the armed drug dealers/traffickers commutations today

Iran made it the same day to stick it to us.  Make us look bad.

Iran says thank you right-wingers.  They were counting on you.
Fair enough but were the folks on our end not able to realize this was the case? I'm sure they were so why did we allow Iran to put us in this position?

It was just last year that Obama said we wouldn't change our ransom policy.

Now it's changed I guess.  Hopefully we pay all future ransoms so we can at least be consistent.  I don't want the government picking and choosing which citizens are worth buying out.  

Hillary called the Iranians our enemies in the first Democratic debate.  Let's give our enemies $1.7 billion.  Makes perfect sense.

Yes, the fear is that they will see this worked and we gave them money.  That is why we have always been against negotiating with terrorist.   The other reason why people are upset is because it sounds like it was an executive decision and not run by Congress,  which may be illegal. 

Right, please tell me why we waited until 2014 to worry about this debt, and now pay it in 2016

Doesn't seem weird to any of you?  
Could be we violated our long time anti-ransom policy.

could be an innocent coincidence.

could be Iran decided to release the hostages on the same day to stir up trouble.

either way we held up our bargain, and got back hostages. Not everything needs to be negative. Not everything needs spin or a "thanks Obama!"

June 25, 2015:

"I am reaffirming' the US will not make concessions, such as paying ransoms, to terrorist groups holding hostages," Obama said.

John Kerry has been working on this deal since 2014. Not sure what you mean big rush

And let me add: Clinton had nothing to do with this deal...It is all John Kerry
You were the first one to mention Clinton, so I assume you must have thought something like that or you wouldn't have brought it up....

Users who are viewing this thread