What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 o 5 Days in Chicago - Help fill the Itinerary (1 Viewer)

kaso

Footballguy
My wife and I have decided to drop the kids with the Grandparents and head to Chicago for 4 or 5 days in April. So I'm looking for any an all suggestions on how to best fill the time.

Best place to stay? Looking to spend ~$150/night for accommodations. Would like to be downtown, or as close to the items of interest as possible as we will not be renting a vehicle.

Places to eat? Any local spots we have to visit? Steak houses, pizza joints? Good pubs to have a beer?

Places to shop?

Places to visit? The Vet War Museum is high on my list. Anything else that is a must see while we are there?

How far outside of proper downtown into neighborhoods are you willing to go? Willing to take public transit?

I always recommend Revolution Brewery to people coming in from out of town. Great burgers at Kuma's, Burger Bar, Grange Hall. Pequod's or Piece for pizza (not typical Chicago deep dish, but the best in the city).

You're still in stone crab season so Joe's Stone Crab for steaks/crab/key lime pie.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far outside of proper downtown into neighborhoods are you willing to go? Willing to take public transit?

I always recommend Revolution Brewery to people coming in from out of town. Great burgers at Kuma's, Burger Bar, Grange Hall. Pequod's or Piece for pizza (not typical Chicago deep dish, but the best in the city).
Completely willing to take public transit. Would rather stay as close to the majority of the places we will end up visiting, and limit the amount of time we need to travel.

Stay at the Conrad on Rush Street. Damn nice hotel, right in the middle of everything.

ETA: I just booked two nights in April (Fri/Sat) for $135 a night.

:goodposting:

I say this in every thread about Chicago, but don't miss the deep dish pepperoni pizza at Pequod's. It is the single food item that I miss most about living in Chicago.

I'll put a word in for the Italian Beef sandwiches in Chicago. I'm a vegetarian now, but OMFG, these things are amazing!!!

Rootstock Wine & Beer Bar is a labor of love from 3 former Webster Wine Bar employees who decided to open a small space in Humboldt Park. Our focus is on wine and beer of small production with a strong emphasis on organic and biodynamic farming practices. Executive Chef Michael Simmons supports local farmers, hormone free meats, and seasonal produce as often as possible.

http://rootstockbar.com/

Rootstock Wine & Beer Bar is a labor of love from 3 former Webster Wine Bar employees who decided to open a small space in Humboldt Park. Our focus is on wine and beer of small production with a strong emphasis on organic and biodynamic farming practices. Executive Chef Michael Simmons supports local farmers, hormone free meats, and seasonal produce as often as possible.

I'm hitting this place in the next week. have heard great things.

The zoo is free so that's a nice place to stop by if you're in the park walking around. If it's a nice day, there's a great view at the rooftop bar in Trump Tower. Good beer selection at Sweetwater Tavern and Grill. Pops for wine or champagne.

Harris said:
urbanhack said:
I always recommend Revolution Brewery to people coming in from out of town.
Please don't.
Not a fan? Great beer, just as great food.
No. It's my favorite place.
It's just a few blocks from me. Twice this week I've intended to shoot over for their pork belly & egg sandwich only to be hampered by work. Stupid work.
Let me know if you ever go there. It's not far from me. Sounds like a cool place with great food.

urbanhack said:

stop by and pick up some Heady Topper.

Rootstock is great.

Hitting Pequods tonight myself.

Take one of the architectural tour river rides.I know it sounds lame but it is really interesting and a pleasant way to get a tour of the downtown district and history of the city.

urbanhack said:

stop by and pick up some Heady Topper.Rootstock is great.

Hitting Pequods tonight myself.
How about now?

I really enjoyed the architecture tour vis boat along the river running in around downtown. You see a lot from a perspective that is hard to verbalize until you get on the boat. Hopefully it isn't too cold when you get there but I would say it is well worth the $25-$35 per person you spend.

I did not care for Lou Minalti or whatever the name of the pizza place. I didn't care for the Chicago deep dish period. I'm still ####ting out pieces of it form my trip in October. The good news is there is penny of other good food there.

Milwaukee Avenue-Wicker Park, Piece Pizza was delicious but I had it delivered while I was drinking at the Emporium Arcade Bar which I highly recommend. Terrific crafts beers, hard liquor and mixed drinks, video games and pinball games from yesteryear. It was a lot of fun, Wicker Park was more my speed.

Portillo's Hot Dogs was terrific as well, they have more than hot dogs in there but the food is relatively cheap and the beer prices are pretty reasonable as well. We ended up eating there a few times.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in the Chicago Sun Times building? There was a mall attached to it and lots of places to see. I would walk as much as you can, lot to see.

I really enjoyed the architecture tour vis boat along the river running in around downtown. You see a lot from a perspective that is hard to verbalize until you get on the boat. Hopefully it isn't too cold when you get there but I would say it is well worth the $25-$35 per person you spend.

I did not care for Lou Minalti or whatever the name of the pizza place. I didn't care for the Chicago deep dish period. I'm still ####ting out pieces of it form my trip in October. The good news is there is penny of other good food there.

Milwaukee Avenue-Wicker Park, Piece Pizza was delicious but I had it delivered while I was drinking at the Emporium Arcade Bar which I highly recommend. Terrific crafts beers, hard liquor and mixed drinks, video games and pinball games from yesteryear. It was a lot of fun, Wicker Park was more my speed.

Portillo's Hot Dogs was terrific as well, they have more than hot dogs in there but the food is relatively cheap and the beer prices are pretty reasonable as well. We ended up eating there a few times.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in the Chicago Sun Times building? There was a mall attached to it and lots of places to see. I would walk as much as you can, lot to see.
Thanks MOP - great info here! Appreciate it.

How was this?

Swing 51 said:

How was this?
change of plans. we stopped by and looked at the menu....not really any vegetarian options for my lady. i'd still like to hit that place on my own.

Great info here. Will be taking the family in June or July. Like the zoo idea. Need don't miss activities and eats for kids ages 5-8. Also planning on staying downtown where we can walk to most places. Is this a good idea? Is safety an issue? Would like to catch a Cubs game and 2-3 other activities based on your answers.

TYIA

Great info here. Will be taking the family in June or July. Like the zoo idea. Need don't miss activities and eats for kids ages 5-8. Also planning on staying downtown where we can walk to most places. Is this a good idea? Is safety an issue? Would like to catch a Cubs game and 2-3 other activities based on your answers.

TYIA
Chicago pizza is a must, especially with kids. Also going for hot dogs and italian beef is a must.

Millennium park, with the Bean and the water fountains are alot of fun.

Lincoln Park zoo is great and it's free.

Depending on the weekend, check metromix to see which festivals are going on. If you can catch one, do it. There are alot of good ones in June/July.

TYIA
Chicago pizza is a must, especially with kids. Also going for hot dogs and italian beef is a must.

Depending on the weekend, check metromix to see which festivals are going on. If you can catch one, do it. There are alot of good ones in June/July.

You could easily burn a day at Millennium Park. Also, you can call ahead to the park grill and order a picnic basket. Head to the Pritzker Pavilion around noon and sometimes the Chicago Symphony Orchestra will be out there practicing. There are also free concerts there often.

I have kids the same age and live in Chicago burbs. Safety etc- you'll be fine. There will be tons of other visitors with kids too. Not an issue

Wrigley is great and your kids would probably like taking the red line train up there. Very easy and uniquely Chicago.

If you have girls, hitting American girl is good and it's right next to Hancock bldg. Go to 95th and treat them to some fruity drinks and a view while you have a beer or 5.

Zoo and lakefront is another good day. You could rent bikes, blades or segway and enjoy the path.

Boat tour is great way to see city.

I have kids the same age and live in Chicago burbs. Safety etc- you'll be fine. There will be tons of other visitors with kids too. Not an issue

Wrigley is great and your kids would probably like taking the red line train up there. Very easy and uniquely Chicago.

If you have girls, hitting American girl is good and it's right next to Hancock bldg. Go to 95th and treat them to some fruity drinks and a view while you have a beer or 5.

Zoo and lakefront is another good day. You could rent bikes, blades or segway and enjoy the path.

The Hancock now has The Tilt to rival the Sears Tower's Ledge.

The Hancock now has The Tilt to rival the Sears Tower's Ledge.
no thanks. I hate those kind of things and I prefer the drinks at 95 over the drinkless Observatory

I say this in every thread about Chicago, but don't miss the deep dish pepperoni pizza at Pequod's. It is the single food item that I miss most about living in Chicago.
Pequods is deep dish or is not deep dish? Or did you mean Piece? Give us the scoop there on best in the city.

J

Pequods is deep dish or is not deep dish? Or did you mean Piece? Give us the scoop there on best in the city.

J
Pequod's is deep dish

Piece

Art of Pizza

Chicago also has good thin crust pizza, Vito and Nick's

Smoque for BBQ

Lou Mitchell's in Jackson (old school) or Bongo Room (Milwaukee Ave) for breakfast.

TYIA

You could easily burn a day at Millennium Park. Also, you can call ahead to the park grill and order a picnic basket. Head to the Pritzker Pavilion around noon and sometimes the Chicago Symphony Orchestra will be out there practicing. There are also free concerts there often.
The walk from Millenium park up Michigan Avenue to the Mag Mile is nice as well. If you have girls, go the american girl store or disney on Michigan avenue. Go to Ghirardellis for a free chocolate sample. Yes, this is all heavy rotation when you have a daughter.

Pequods serves both thick and thin but are known for the pan pizza with caramelized cheese crust.

Piece is New Haven style thin crust.

Both are great.

Users who are viewing this thread